Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

Xenomrph posted:

gonna strongly disagree, the stop motion Ray Harryhausen endoskeleton has always looked bad, especially when compared to the practical endoskeleton puppet used in the very same movie.

The Terminator isn't falling apart, it's drat near indestructible and it gets back up repeatedly after Kyle and Sarah think they've killed it "for good".

Near indestructible yes, but it's visibly damaged - it's walking with a pronounced lunging limp. Just like the stop motion. The fabric of the film mirrors its halting motion.

e: to expand... while the terminator is plausibly disguised as a real person, the special effects are "good" (ie real-looking). When he's exposed as a pretend robot, the special effects become "bad" (ie fake-looking). By the time he's limping after Kyle and Sarah at the end, the film is likewise on the verge of breakdown. It rules!

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
Rewatching the ending if T1 made me remember how awesome that final scene is with the endoskeleton, even if it's not the best FX. The sound of the terminator moving, crawling, stomping around, dragging it's foot, is almost as scary as the terminator himself. By sound I mean the hydraulic screeches, the motor whirring sounds, that stuff.

That movie really made a terminator seem menacing and horrifying, something the other movies didn't quite capture outside of the T1000 in T2.

The Shep fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 6, 2015

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Cop gay. So What posted:

Rewatching the ending if T1 made me remember how awesome that final scene is with the endoskeleton, even if it's not the best FX. The sound of the terminator moving, crawling, stomping around, dragging it's foot, is almost as scary as the terminator himself. By sound I mean the hydraulic screeches, the motor whirring sounds, that stuff.

That movie really made a terminator seem menacing and horrifying, something the other movies didn't quite capture outside of the T1000 in T2.

The lasting icon of the terminator is still the scary endoskeleton, so it's kind of weird it only meaningfully appears in T1. Arnie's been a loveable doofus in every Terminator appearance since.

Here's my question based on the last time I watched T2. Why does Arnie give the thumbs up when he's descending into the lava? I mean the boring explanation is he's saying "everything's OK!!", but really, why? What does it have to do with anything?

It would make sense if it were one of the human gestures John teaches him, but it isn't. It isn't even in the special extended edition. And then I checked the script out of curiosity, and hey! there it is. But the fact that it isn't in the extended cut suggests they didn't even shoot it. I wonder why not.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

PerilPastry posted:

How was Emilia Clarke in this?

Not bad given she had almost nothing to really work with.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
in 20 years the people that grew up during the worst of the early 2000s bad cgi era will be posting on their outer space future message boards about how important to the movie they watched when they were 13 had bad cgi.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Popcorn posted:

The lasting icon of the terminator is still the scary endoskeleton, so it's kind of weird it only meaningfully appears in T1. Arnie's been a loveable doofus in every Terminator appearance since.

T4 and T5 both have good, tense endoskeleton scenes, though the one in T5 is about 10 seconds long like every other scene in the movie.

Nothing in T3 is menacing. T5 doesn't dwell on anything long enough for it to be menacing or unsettling, except for Connor, who's mostly just annoying.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mooseontheloose posted:

Not bad given she had almost nothing to really work with.

A situation she's familiar with in Game of Thrones.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Breakfast All Day posted:

T4 and T5 both have good, tense endoskeleton scenes, though the one in T5 is about 10 seconds long like every other scene in the movie.

I'm going to come clean - despite posting in a thread called "Terminator 3 and Terminator Salvation discussion" I completely forgot that they made any more films after T3. I haven't seen them.

I rewatched T3 again recently. It reminded me of Men in Black.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Popcorn posted:

I rewatched T3 again recently. It reminded me of Men in Black.

:stare:

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Popcorn posted:

Here's my question based on the last time I watched T2. Why does Arnie give the thumbs up when he's descending into the lava? I mean the boring explanation is he's saying "everything's OK!!", but really, why? What does it have to do with anything?

He's learned enough of being human to let Jon that it's ok. It's important for him as he's bounded as a father figure from their experiences together.

This new Terminator movie would've been a shitload better if they didn't reveal loving everything in the trailers.

Also it would've been shitloads better if they all lost in the end but then the machine learns a little bit what it is to be human much like Arnold has learned not to terminate humans. Then it'd sacrifice itself to wipe out Conner and that'd be cool since Conner is what's supposed to save humanity from the machines and it's now the machines that wipe out Conner to save humanity.

Buckwheat Sings fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 7, 2015

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Immortan posted:

Genisys opened strongly with $85M overseas alone and it hasn't even rolled out in Germany, Japan, or China yet. $130M Worldwide so far. Go Arnie! :hellyeah:

I wonder how CineD will accept having to put Genesys and Fury Road into the same "wet fart domestically, made its money back internationally" box.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Popcorn posted:

It would make sense if it were one of the human gestures John teaches him, but it isn't. It isn't even in the special extended edition. And then I checked the script out of curiosity, and hey! there it is. But the fact that it isn't in the extended cut suggests they didn't even shoot it. I wonder why not.

I distinctly remember John flashing a thumb's up at I think Enrique's.

e: "of all the would-be fathers who came and went over the years, this thing, this machine, was the only one who measured up" at this point John flashes the T-800 a thumb's up, the T-800 reciprocates

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 7, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MisterBibs posted:

I wonder how CineD will accept having to put Genesys and Fury Road into the same "wet fart domestically, made its money back internationally" box.

They'll probably ignore it in favor of Jurassic World making ungodly amounts of cash.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Popcorn posted:

Near indestructible yes, but it's visibly damaged - it's walking with a pronounced lunging limp. Just like the stop motion. The fabric of the film mirrors its halting motion.
The difference is, when he's walking with a limp, it looks fluid and natural. When the endoskeleton is stop motion, it looks like something out of Jason and the Argonauts.

quote:

e: to expand... while the terminator is plausibly disguised as a real person, the special effects are "good" (ie real-looking). When he's exposed as a pretend robot, the special effects become "bad" (ie fake-looking). By the time he's limping after Kyle and Sarah at the end, the film is likewise on the verge of breakdown. It rules!
The problem with this reading is you've got excellent, fluid puppet/animatronic endoskeleton work all over the place, which makes the bad effects stand out even more. And neither the film nor the Terminator are on the verge of breakdown - right after the terrible stop-motion stuff, the endoskeleton bashes down a door, takes a half dozen pipe hits to the head, gets blown in half, and still manages to come within inches of killing Sarah Connor before being crushed in an industrial press.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 7, 2015

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Is it really a point of contention that the stop motion/animatronic sequences in Terminator don't really hold up? I don't think it is. Everything involving Arnold in his apartment is downright comical, some of it intentionally so.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SuperMechaGodzilla posted:

Since all previous Terminator films are about different modes of perceiving the present day, this film's innovation is the sheer number of modes.

No 'actual' time-travel ever occurs (or has ever occurred). What is happening, instead, is that each jump through the time-hole alters Reese as a character, so that he perceives the world in a different way. It is not that he travels to 2017, but that he realizes it's where he's always been.

In Terminator 1, there's a complexity to the romance that people overlook. Nobody has ever been given a photograph of a person from 100 years ago, and then traveled backwards in time to meet that person - yet the love story is relatable. This is because time travel is simply a metaphor. Reese falls in love based on a photograph, that he, essentially, saw in a dream. When we see the ending of the film, with the photograph 'actually' being taken, the point is not to try and solve the paradox. The point is Sarah's newfound awareness of her freedom - and the terrible weight of responsibility.

The kicker is that it's not the same photograph. It looks identical, but check the white border. The one from 'the future' is much thicker.

Incidentally, just because I'm watching T2 now, I like how you couldn't be bothered to actually find a shot of the picture in Sarah's hands in T1 while talking about it. John Connor's in the background and his friend is holding it.

I don't really care what you have to say about it I just noticed it. :v:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 7, 2015

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

RBA Starblade posted:

Incidentally, just because I'm watching T2 now, I like how you couldn't be bothered to actually find a shot of the picture in Sarah's hands in T1. John Connor's in the background and his friend is holding it.

I just went to the end of T1 and yes it's the same-looking width as the version they present in T2 from John's duffel.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ruby idiot railed posted:

I just went to the end of T1 and yes it's the same-looking width as the version they present in T2 in John's hands.

I still don't really care what he has to say about it, I just noticed that it was a still from a different movie and I was surprised I realized it. It was in the back of my head until I recalled the thread.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

RBA Starblade posted:

I still don't really care what he has to say about it, I just noticed that it was a still from a different movie and I was surprised I realized it. It was in the back of my head until I recalled the thread.

Actually I lied, I got the 2 mixed up.

The thin border photograph is the version from John's duffel. The copy from the end of T1 has the same border width as the one they burned for Reese's dream sequence from when they were hiding in the ditch.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Is it really a point of contention that the stop motion/animatronic sequences in Terminator don't really hold up? I don't think it is. Everything involving Arnold in his apartment is downright comical, some of it intentionally so.

I love how he taps his hair a bit after he puts the sunglasses on.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Outside of "gently caress you rear end in a top hat" I don't see how. It makes perfect sense for a infiltration robot to be able to infiltrate perfectly. Which mostly like means having a base of operations to recuperate and restock. (The hair thing is pretty funny though, I'll give ya that.)

Also, the stop motion is loving awesome and looks more visually interesting than the Connorbot.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My favorite part of "gently caress you rear end in a top hat" is that "gently caress you" was also an option.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

RBA Starblade posted:

My favorite part of "gently caress you rear end in a top hat" is that "gently caress you" was also an option.

And IIRC on the list it came AFTER "gently caress you rear end in a top hat".

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

When it comes to picking the right thing to say, always pick something said by Bill Paxton.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

The thin border photograph is the version from John's duffel. The copy from the end of T1 has the same border width as the one they burned for Reese's dream sequence from when they were hiding in the ditch.

Right; the photo was cropped between films, so it can't be the same one.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Blame the PA who hosed it up.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

PerilPastry posted:

How was Emilia Clarke in this?

Cute and charming, all she needed was some Ace bandage and she could've played the 9 year old Sarah Connor they kept referring to.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Or it's a fuckup by the props department.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

CelticPredator posted:

When it comes to picking the right thing to say, always pick something said by Bill Duke.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bill Paxton said it first, dawg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv0Jc4ziS-U

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
My issue with the Connorbot was that they didn't even know what they wanted it to be. The endoskeleton and, dare I say the T1000, are both plausible in a sci-fi future sense but the connorbot strains my ability to suspend disbelief.

In one scene, the connorbot struggles to remove himself from being impaled against a wall while the following scenes clearly show he can basically teleport short distances by breaking down his magnetic particles into a cloud of... nanobots? Why did he struggle to dis-impale himself if he could just deconstruct on a whim? There are no reasons for the actions of connorbot outside what the plot requires.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Cop gay. So What posted:

My issue with the Connorbot was that they didn't even know what they wanted it to be. The endoskeleton and, dare I say the T1000, are both plausible in a sci-fi future sense but the connorbot strains my ability to suspend disbelief.

In one scene, the connorbot struggles to remove himself from being impaled against a wall while the following scenes clearly show he can basically teleport short distances by breaking down his magnetic particles into a cloud of... nanobots? Why did he struggle to dis-impale himself if he could just deconstruct on a whim? There are no reasons for the actions of connorbot outside what the plot requires.

I got the feeling from the hospital scenes that he hadn't fully realized what he could do as a nanomachine-man and was effectively learning as he went.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Cute and charming, all she needed was some Ace bandage and she could've played the 9 year old Sarah Connor they kept referring to.

Her face is child-like and her demeanor is too soft to play a woman who has been preparing for war since was a child.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Shima Honnou posted:

I got the feeling from the hospital scenes that he hadn't fully realized what he could do as a nanomachine-man and was effectively learning as he went.

He also experienced pain, or thought he did or was "recalling" it. I bet blowing yourself apart is a bad time in face of that.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Rhyno posted:

Or it's a fuckup by the props department.

Right, and it's a fuckup that helps illustrates the fact that time travel isn't actually real. What Terminator presents as 'time travel' is a bunch of imaginary silliness that serves a story function similar to the ability to travel through phone lines in The Matrix.

"The idea of passing from reality to VR through the phone makes sense, since all we need is a gap/hole through which one can escape. (Perhaps, an even better solution would have been the toilet: is not the domain where excrements vanish after we flush the toilet effectively one of the metaphors for the horrifyingly-sublime Beyond of the primordial, pre-ontological Chaos into which things disappear? Although we rationally know what goes on with the excrements, the imaginary mystery nonetheless persists - poo poo remains an excess with does not fit our daily reality, and Lacan was right in claiming that we pass from animals to humans the moment an animal has problems with what to do with its excrements, the moment they turn into an excess that annoys it. The Real is thus not primarily the horrifyingly-disgusting stuff reemerging from the toilet sink, but rather the hole itself, the gap which serves as the passage to a different ontological order - the topological hole or torsion which "curves" the space of our reality so that we perceive/imagine excrements as disappearing into an alternative dimension which is not part of our everyday reality.)"

"This is true multiculturalism, this acknowledgement that the only way to pass to the Other's world is through what, in our world, appears as the poo poo exit, as the hole into the dark domain, excluded from our everyday reality, into which excrements disappear."
-Zizek

The 'time-portals' in this film function simultaneously as tunnels between worlds (allowing for the same 'multicultural' romance as in the original Terminator 1, Avatar, Titanic, etc.) and as a drain into which the villain is flushed at the end of the film. This has always been the case: when Reese enters the portal in T1, he's some highly respected military guy. In the world he emerges into, he's a homeless crazy person. Nothing about Reese has changed. It's entirely perception.

The joke in Genysis is that - in 2017 - the excessive Others who disrupt our way of life have evolved from 'crazy homeless people' to 'terrorists'.

Cop gay. So What posted:

The strut that impaled him was electrified by the broken television. Being electrocuted messed him up until he could pull himself free.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Connor also doesn't display the full breadth of his capabilities until he's dropped the facade of trying to appear human.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

I do recall connor going through a "rebirth" as it were so I can get behind what you guys are saying, good observations there.

I wonder if Connors conscience lives on in genisys, otherwise the first film just squandered one of the more interesting concepts to build on in the sequels.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It doesn't really matter since he probably doesn't exist any more.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Cop gay. So What posted:

I've always wondered, were the terrible FX from T1 (arnold rubber mask and stop motion t-800) simply the best they could do at the time or were they budget compromises?

Xenomrph posted:

If I remember right, they used a puppet Arnold head, not a rubber mask.

Also it was definitely budget compromises. A lot of the effects in the movie were straight up "guerrilla filmmaking". When you see the endoskeleton eye go out after it gets crushed in the press, the eye is a Christmas light, the frame around the eye is tin foil, the press is a repainted styrofoam block, and the smoke is from Stan Winston's cigarette. No, seriously.

From what I've heard, stop-motion T-800 was not a budget compromise. James Cameron got his start doing stop-motion and he was compelled to do that. Rumor has it was an homage to Ray Harryhausen's Jason And The Argonauts skeleton fight.

Basebf555 posted:

The best proof of the genius of Stan Winston is everything that went into the creation of the Alien queen. The vision required to even attempt to build the full-size skeleton is unparalleled; there's nobody working today on big budget films who'd consider trying it. The whole thing could have been a bust at any point in the production, and Winston was working with one of the most demanding directors Hollywood's ever seen. He knew he could make it work though, and that Cameron had all the tricks in his bag necessary to do it justice.

Supposedly, Stan Winston's right arm when he built the Alien Queen puppet was Stephen Norrington, of Blade and, unfortunately, League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Norrington even used his expertise on building the Queen on his directorial debut, Death Machine, where there's a similar sized puppet for the Frontline Morale Destroyer. He's also responsible for the Mark XIII robot in Hardware. Dude's constantly building giant loving puppets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

I distinctly remember John flashing a thumb's up at I think Enrique's.

e: "of all the would-be fathers who came and went over the years, this thing, this machine, was the only one who measured up" at this point John flashes the T-800 a thumb's up, the T-800 reciprocates

Yep. John teaches T800 the various iterations of high fives, then the thumbs up and half smile (which next appears when T800 finds the minigun)

• Locked thread