Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

I don't know what I did to deserve this, Gilgabot, but... :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

PrivateEyeball posted:

Any thoughts on synergy between Ninja/Bard/Ranger/Dancer? I'm tempted to re-roll the Dancer or pick up some sort of caster via job fair.

Dual-wielding Dancer can hit with two Sword Dances in a turn. That's worth keeping.

Also, you can give Ninja Rapid-Fire. And Bard is Bard. Aside from the fragility, that seems like a pretty solid team.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

PrivateEyeball posted:

Any thoughts on synergy between Ninja/Bard/Ranger/Dancer? I'm tempted to re-roll the Dancer or pick up some sort of caster via job fair.
!Animals and !Throw will get a bit of a boost from Bard's Magic score, Dual-Wield will beef up both !Rapidfire and !Dance, and !Sing is as powerful as ever. Ribbons are pretty good too.

It's a very fragile, hard-hitting and fast class combination. Speed Song is your friend.

blinking beacon nose
Nov 1, 2004

birthday frog comes bearing gifts and special birthday wishes
gently caress you, NED

NED got knocked the gently caress up

NED is a freakin' panzy

Don't gently caress with the pros, mate

Aside from the Berserker, the entire party had access to Time magic and was hasted by Hermes' Sandals. Lots of Quick -> Meteor -> Meteor -> Elixir -> ... going on. Lots of Quick in general, really. The Berserker was given a Reflect Ring. She only got one turn for every, like, 100 turns any other party member got. Her role was basically to sit there, act as a meat shield, and reflect some of the nasty spells back at the bastard.

Most of the party had Equip Shields. Those blocked nasty things like Vacuum Wave. Neato! Grand Cross was also pretty kind to me. It did things like Blind my magic-users. And I could survive Almagest when I downed a few Elixirs first.

Next up, those other two superbosses that I forget what their names are or whatever. Or maybe a second run? Only time will tell.

blinking beacon nose fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jul 7, 2015

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Kyrosiris posted:

Yes but why on earth would you wish Fork Tower on a team whose most potent non-reset-triggering ability is Red Mage rod-boosted -aras?

Like christ that's a stone's throw removed from just waiting out his MP.
I went ahead and did it.

Only took four minutes (3:57 according to the recording) with the emulator on fast forward. Solo Red Mage w/ Magus Rod, Gold Hairpin, Bone Mail, Reflect Ring. Only had to use one Ether. Could have been faster but he only cast Drain once.

Kinda wanted that Rune Blade; it helped a lot when I had my two Red Mage run earlier in the fiesta.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

blinking beacon nose posted:

NED got knocked the gently caress up

I think you mean "knocked the gently caress out".

...At least, GOD, I hope you meant that. :gonk:

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Turns out it takes just under 2 hours to cause Shinryu to commit suicide by breathing atomic rays on 3 zombies and a coward.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Bufuman posted:

FF5-2, wherein Exdeath's baby takes revenge

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Cheez posted:

FF5-2, wherein Exdeath's baby takes revenge

Also Gilgamesh is a party member.

I DON'T CARE WHAT HAPPENED! GILGAMESH IS ADVENTURING WITH US!

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Leofish posted:

Also Gilgamesh is a party member.

I DON'T CARE WHAT HAPPENED! GILGAMESH IS ADVENTURING WITH US!

How does that work if he sacrificed himself against Necrophobe?

...gently caress it, if anyone could survive making his entire being explode into pure damage, it would be Gilgamesh.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

like do i seriously need to keep playing at this point

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Turns out I needed to do Istory after all because the Rune Blade is the only way I can damage Omega... Excalibur heals him and the Defender does 0 damage. Took a while and a few Elixirs, but the Rune Blade was able to chip his HP away ~600 at a time while the other three kept him Calm-locked.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

Yes but why on earth would you wish Fork Tower on a team whose most potent non-reset-triggering ability is Red Mage rod-boosted -aras?

Like christ that's a stone's throw removed from just waiting out his MP.

You know, as a public service to everyone since I'm bored right now.

Fork Tower: The Summary

Why do Fork Tower?

First, and most obvious. You need Holy or Flare. That means White Mage, Black Mage, and Mystic Knight. Since nothing in the game warrants Flare over level 3 elementals, that means White Mage or Mystic Knight.

You need the Submarine. This allows you to get to Great Sea Trench, notable as one of the best places for a Bard to gain levels, as well as having Meteor for the Time Mages among us. This also allows you to get to Istory Falls, notable for containing the Titan's Axe, the Rune Blade, the Artemis Bow, and an Aegis Shield. Heavy Berserker parties might want the Titan's Axe under a few circumstances*, the Rune Blade is useful for Knights, Red Mages, and Blue Mages (but not Mystic Knights since it's not Spellblade capable), the Artemis Bow is great against part of Neo Exdeath and is a rare steal otherwise. The Aegis Shield is nonnegotiable: if you had a moment of idiocy and skipped the one in Moore or you have more than one shield using party member, you want it. You'll thank me come Exdeath. This applies even to Ribbon bearing parties, because if you think you're good enough to not care about a one in third chance of blocking Almagest then you really don't need to read this.

Summoners might also want Leviathan. Although an inferior cast, if you've developed an Ether and Elixir allergy then !Call gets a little better adding Leviathan to the draw. Additionally, Leviathan becomes the strongest thing you can cast with a Chemist backing you up with Elemental Power mixes, so that's a thing.

Finally, there's the loot in Fork Tower itself. The Defender is an amazing Knightsword and is a worthy competitor to Excalibur, Ragnarok, and the Brave Blade. Despite being weaker, the 1/4 weapon block and casting of Protect are very useful to have if you've got an otherwise low vitality party (or the rest of your team is Berserkers). Meanwhile, the Wonder Rod gives a single shot of every White and Black spell in the game to a rod user. Practically this means Shell for non-White non-Blue rod users, Break for non-Black non-Summon users, and a slow but comical way to kill Omega without using MP for any rod using party.

So, Knights, Blue Mages, White Mages, Red Mages, Summoners, Time Mages, Berserkers, Mystic Knights, Rangers, Bards, Samurai, and Dragoons all have really strong reasons to go through Fork Tower beyond mere completionism. So, if you want the prizes beyond or just can't stand not doing the last 20% of the game, read on.

Beating Fork Tower

First, the randoms. The might side has permaMute set, so that can be difficult for mages. Run, use the Magic Lamp, or hope you don't fight anything. That last one's a really viable plan in Fork Tower. Because the random encounter "danger level" RNG is reset every time you change areas, it's entirely possible to go the entire dungeon without fighting a single random. The magic side counters non-Magic stuff with violent explodinations so don't do that. Run or just hope you don't fight them.

Minotaur can be beaten by two+ characters with Phoenix Downs. Worst case, snap some rods on him. Just remember he absorbs Holy.

Omniscient is the rear end in a top hat. Everything that touches him that isn't Steal or one of the actual Magic schools causes a Reset. Don't do that. Everything he does is Reflectable other than Drain, so one Bone Mailed Reflect Ring'd character stands good odds of him just killing himself. Even so, Reset is barred if he's Silenced, and he'll randomly cast that spell, or you can apply it with a reflected Mage Masher trigger or the Spellblade attack. It'll wear off quickly, so be ready for a follow up. If you're using two characters, just have someone ready with a powerful attack. If one, just wait for Silence to reflect onto him. Powerful attacks include everything from Double Gripped Excaliburs to cracked Fire Rods. Go nuts.

The big trouble comes basically just for White Mages. If you're really dreading Omniscient, farm up some Staffs of Light in Guido's Cave before you do Castle Exdeath. Otherwise, you've can rely on Berserking him. Berserk plus Image plus Protect plus back row plus Elven Mantles will at least let you bash away with Morning Stars until he dies, but it's bloody. Alternatively, sit with a Reflect Ring and Dispel his Regens as they happen. If he Silences himself, Magic Lamp. He doesn't have that much HP.

Running Omniscient out of MP should only be an option if you're lazy. More specifically, if you feel you'd rather leave the game running for ages as opposed to smacking him when he's Silenced. This should basically only be reserved for emulator players.

Or just donate four bucks for a Blue Mage, Aerora his rear end, and then pay whatever you need to in order to change back.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

just loving leave nedward. nobody loves you

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

I was wrong. This party actually got it done. Been so long since I used a Knight I forgot how good Two-Handed is. The Knight with Excalibur and Red Mage with Rune Blade could take down most random enemies in a round or two.

Tree was just a matter of patience, with Ragnarok and the Staff of Light I stole from Halicarnassus doing a lot of work, and a few lucky Firaga procs.

NED was tough. After releasing four Breath Wings, Bahamut and Leviathan, I had to finish him with physical attacks and Wind Slash. Thought I was done for when I hosed up and forgot to put the Rune Blade back into the Red Mage's hand after breaking a rod, and wasted two turns attacking bare-fisted. He chained Almagest, Grand Cross, Blizzaga and Vacuum Wave all in a row, leaving only the Red Mage standing, thanks to Wonder Wand Blink/Shell. Was able to get everyone standing again and kept whacking away until only the back was left, and the Magic Lamp finished it. Phew...

10 runs done. Only classes I haven't been assigned are Thief and Black Mage. Also only one Berserker... but five Red Mages and five Geomancers.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Is Equip Katanas worthwhile for Dancers? I know Zeninage is optimal for boss murdering, but what about random fights? Would I be better off focusing on durability with Shirahadori?

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

Incredibly lucky jobs this year. This wasn't a challenge at all!

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Maleketh posted:

Is Equip Katanas worthwhile for Dancers? I know Zeninage is optimal for boss murdering, but what about random fights? Would I be better off focusing on durability with Shirahadori?

For randoms? I'd go with Iainuki. Also fleeing unless I specifically wanted something (including xp) from an encounter.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Maleketh posted:

Personally, I'd go for Shirahadori. The big problem with Dancer is that you want them in the front row because Sword Dance is really powerful and row-dependent, but they're one of if not the most fragile class in the entire game. Shirahadori reduces the odds that enemies like W2 Exdeath will just unceremoniously splatter them.

Iainuki's also good, but costs a ton of AP to learn.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Mustard Iceman posted:

NED was tough. After releasing four Breath Wings, Bahamut and Leviathan, I had to finish him with physical attacks and Wind Slash. Thought I was done for when I hosed up and forgot to put the Rune Blade back into the Red Mage's hand after breaking a rod, and wasted two turns attacking bare-fisted. He chained Almagest, Grand Cross, Blizzaga and Vacuum Wave all in a row, leaving only the Red Mage standing, thanks to Wonder Wand Blink/Shell. Was able to get everyone standing again and kept whacking away until only the back was left, and the Magic Lamp finished it. Phew...

Congratulations on your victory. For future reference, you can use the Excalipoor to catch a Crystelle in the final dungeon, which will cast Mighty Guard upon release. That makes Neo Exdeath a lot more manageable, since now everyone can survive Almagest. And for Omega you can use the Coral Sword, which does decent damage when you two-hand it.

blinking beacon nose
Nov 1, 2004

birthday frog comes bearing gifts and special birthday wishes

Bufuman posted:

poo poo. This is what I get for staying up late to .. ... play FFV.

Time for the superbosses. Who else wants to be impregnated? Shinryu? Omega?

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Imagine

Forever

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体
I thought releasing a Mammon would cast berserk on the enemy, but releasing one at Omniscient got me berserked instead. Are reflect shenanigans involved in this?

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
So Blessed Kiss is a nice way to Berserk enemies with a Chemist, but the Haste could be problematic for later bosses, like Shinryu. Is there a mix that only applies Berserk, or am I stuck with Blessed Kiss?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

maou shoujo posted:

I thought releasing a Mammon would cast berserk on the enemy, but releasing one at Omniscient got me berserked instead. Are reflect shenanigans involved in this?

Yeah. You come in wearing Reflect Rings and bounce the Mammon berserk to Omniscient, Shinryu (you only want one person wearing a Ring here), etc.

Ilyich posted:

So Blessed Kiss is a nice way to Berserk enemies with a Chemist, but the Haste could be problematic for later bosses, like Shinryu. Is there a mix that only applies Berserk, or am I stuck with Blessed Kiss?

Yeah, Bacchus's Cider (Turtle Shell + Holy Water). It does respect normal berserk immunity, though, so it's for cases like Shinryu, Omniscient, etc.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Is there any way to deal with Catastrophe if I don't have access to float? I'd heal through but my highest cure ability is Cura and as it is he one-shots half my party. All strategies I've found so far say to use float and reflect.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Is there any way to deal with Catastrophe if I don't have access to float? I'd heal through but my highest cure ability is Cura and as it is he one-shots half my party. All strategies I've found so far say to use float and reflect.

If you can cast Cura, you can cast Confuse. Go to the Northern Mountain (where you fought Magissa before or Bahamut now), and confuse Gaelicats. They'll cast float on you.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Everyone has access to float. Go back to the Cave section to the room with that super-long stairway, and the rare encounter there (if on NA GBA, use the Quicksave glitch) has a Poison Eagle. Confuse it with the Dancing Dagger, cram an Ether down its throat, and it'll cast Float on you. Give that person a Reflect Ring and job's done.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Aww crapnads. Thought I finally had NED this time. Set up protect, blink, and shell in phase 1 then burned through magic lamp to golem which took out two parts since shoat actually hit.

1st grand cross only inflicted blind and doom. Not bad at all! Couple grand crosses later doomed BM got a clutch Phoenix down off with 1 second left to keep me with one controllable character then 2 seconds later 4th cross hit geo with petrify.

How lucky was I when shoat hit Almagest portion? If I abuse wonder want reset will it start that fight or go back to phase 1?

With zerk zerk Geo BM lvls 32-34 Almagest wrecks everyone.

KharlanTree
Aug 21, 2014

Zerk zerk zerk zerk zerk
You see me I be
Zerk zerk zerk zerk zerk
This is my first time going for the triple crown, and I just beat Omega and Shinryu. When I tweet #VictoryOmega, do I have to wait for that to be processed before I can tweet #VictoryShinryu or can I tweet both right now?

Anyways, on to incinerate/electrocute/flash freeze/nuke/bless NED to death! :'D

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

KharlanTree posted:

This is my first time going for the triple crown, and I just beat Omega and Shinryu. When I tweet #VictoryOmega, do I have to wait for that to be processed before I can tweet #VictoryShinryu or can I tweet both right now?

Anyways, on to incinerate/electrocute/flash freeze/nuke/bless NED to death! :'D

Nah, as long as they're in separate tweets you can tweet them back to back.

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!
Chaos #3: Ninja/Bard/Samurai/Samurai

Kelger was ashamed that his singing career could not generate enough gil to kill NED on its own and couldn't face the real world after the fight.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Kyrosiris posted:

Everyone has access to float. Go back to the Cave section to the room with that super-long stairway, and the rare encounter there (if on NA GBA, use the Quicksave glitch) has a Poison Eagle. Confuse it with the Dancing Dagger, cram an Ether down its throat, and it'll cast Float on you. Give that person a Reflect Ring and job's done.

:aaa:
Holy poo poo this actually worked! Amazing.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Trasson posted:

Summoners might also want Leviathan. Although an inferior cast, if you've developed an Ether and Elixir allergy then !Call gets a little better adding Leviathan to the draw. Additionally, Leviathan becomes the strongest thing you can cast with a Chemist backing you up with Elemental Power mixes, so that's a thing.

I'd also like to point out that nearly every enemy in the final area of the Void is weak to water (though Behemoths will counter any magic with Meteor, so be careful with them).

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

blakelmenakle posted:

Chaos #3: Ninja/Bard/Samurai/Samurai

Where's the Shinryu kill? :colbert:

:aaa:
Holy poo poo this actually worked! Amazing.

Glad to be of assistance. :) We'll always find a way~

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, Bacchus's Cider (Turtle Shell + Holy Water). It does respect normal berserk immunity, though, so it's for cases like Shinryu, Omniscient, etc.

Welp, looks like I'm going to have to grind some more Turtle Shells.

According to this map, I can fight Grass Turtles at reasonable odds in the forest next to the Pirate Hideout. That shouldn't take too long.

I assume Dragon Fangs can still be found at Drakenvale?

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah. You come in wearing Reflect Rings and bounce the Mammon berserk to Omniscient, Shinryu (you only want one person wearing a Ring here), etc.
I found an odd note about this just now. Releasing it from the person wearing the reflect ring resulted in Krile being berserked through her reflect. Releasing it from someone else resulted in berserk bouncing off properly.

Well, whatever works. Thanks to Omniscient's Reset saving me the trip back up the tower with every failure. Now I can loot Istory and grind at the trench if needed. I swear I didn't plan on doing all four tablets with this party.

Edit: After giving it a try, I'm not convinced that lamp grinding in the trench is faster than just grinding in the rift for this party. At least I can get a titan axe from Istory, and got to try out a goofy Omniscient strat?

maou shoujo fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 7, 2015

KharlanTree
Aug 21, 2014

Zerk zerk zerk zerk zerk
You see me I be
Zerk zerk zerk zerk zerk
First ever Triple Crown!

I had to try Omega a few times, switching accessories and whatnot. My first attempt was blasting Thuindaga's off Reflect Rings but for some reason, I couldn't keep Omega calmed down enough. I'm guessing after running out to get Flame Rings in Mirage, on the way back I must have leveled up or something because while Flame Rings didn't work, when I tried reflect rings again, it worked out just fine. :D

Shinryu was easy peezy. Just tell him that pineapple on pizza is an abomination unto the lord and make like ninja's. :P

I really enjoyed this run! Can't wait to apply for a chaos run!

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!

Kyrosiris posted:

Where's the Shinryu kill? :colbert:

It's taking awhile. :zombie:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger