Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I got the book Godlike for free years ago. It seemed neat and I think it's set during WW2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

TehKeen posted:

Hi TG Chat, I've got a question that I ~think~ I've asked before, but now I'm in a position to where I can actually run a game (scheduling-wise):

I'd like to ask y'alls opinions on WW2 settings and which systems work best; I've only really played D&D - various editions - and RIFTS like once in high school - I've heard of and read the GURPS WW2 supplement, heard of Savage Worlds Weird Wars as well as the update to FASA's old Behind Enemy Lines.

Does anyone have experience and recommendations with these or other systems?

What type of game are you running besides WWII?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

TehKeen posted:

Hi TG Chat, I've got a question that I ~think~ I've asked before, but now I'm in a position to where I can actually run a game (scheduling-wise):

I'd like to ask y'alls opinions on WW2 settings and which systems work best; I've only really played D&D - various editions - and RIFTS like once in high school - I've heard of and read the GURPS WW2 supplement, heard of Savage Worlds Weird Wars as well as the update to FASA's old Behind Enemy Lines.

use Only War

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Just reskin Grunt.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Elfface posted:

So, what are good Transhumanist games? Eclipse Phase is nice, but might be the most complicated non-parody rules system ever created. Plus you spend a whole bunch of stuff on gear and then find out you're being sent as an ego across the galaxy on a mission, so you need to go shopping again with a different budget.

Still gonna say Freemarket.

You've got four pools of things, allocated differently based on character creation:

- your Geneline, which is always available and reflects the potentials built into you with a series of descriptors
- your Experience, which is always available and reflects the things you've done on-station. Everything that needs a test has its own experience category.
- your Technology, which is limited per session and reflects all the cool poo poo you have to help you with things, limited by its experience category and possibly tags.
- your Interface, which is limited per session and represents your cyberbits that let you interface with tech, limited by experience category and tags like tech is.

You flip cards from two decks and aim for some number of successes, generally to beat the GM.

The general deck has 15 failure cards and 30 successes: 10 experience successes which only apply if you have a matching experience, 10 geneline successes which only apply if you have a relevant descriptor in your geneline, and 10 Freemarket successes which always work. You can always hope for Freemarket or your tech to carry you through something you're not suited for or skilled at.

The tech deck has 10 failure cards and 10 successes. You only bring it in if you mark off a use of tech, and you can mark off a use of a a relevant interface to reflip failures.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Helical Nightmares posted:

It brings up an interesting question though that I can't seem to figure out how to resolve. Can you run a sandbox horror game? Does the nature of a sandbox investigation/exploration game detract from horror?

To me a horror game hinges on the mystery first and foremost to draw players in and then end with a revelation as the payoff in the climax of the story. The house really is haunted by an undead cultist in the Call of Cthulhu scenario the Haunting. The investigators discover the true nature of the March family in The Wives of March or the Innsmouth taint is revealed in any Innsmouth game.

Mystery novels depend on a great deal of structure in their rising action to use foreshadowing and red herrings as clues or to keep you guessing to set up the emotional impact of the final revelation. The best Agatha Christie, Ellery Queen and Doyle novels have this structure in spades.

Sandbox games by their nature are pretty unstructured.

How can you reconcile the two?

It's a tricky balance, but I think that Robin Laws and Kenneth Hite have figured out a way to do it. Robin Laws put together "The Armitage Files" which is a big collection of NPCs and clues, but without a single defining mystery plot. The idea is that it can be an improvisational investigation. You hand the players the first handout, which foreshadows terrible things, mentions multiple NPCs, and several locations.

Then they decide what they want to look up. You pay close attention to the crzy theories that players always throw out and decide which aspects will be interesting. You make sure that things are still building towards some kind of climax or reveal so that there will still be a satisfying resolution to the game. As an example from Armitage Files, some of the letters seem to be written by Armitage himself but he's going progressively crazier, so the players would want to keep an eye on him as things progress.

Kenneth Hite (and Gareth Ryder-Hanrahan) have been working on the Dracula Dossier, which applies the same idea to Dracula. They've been working up the same NPC and location list along with an "unredacted" copy of the Dracula novel that you can drop on the table in front of your players and say, "okay, what do you want to investigate?"

I think both of these allow for the player-driven gameplay that's normally associated with a sandbox, but you as GM have to do a bit more work to make sure that they are progressing towards a conclusion instead of chasing down red herrings.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Sionak posted:

It's a tricky balance, but I think that Robin Laws and Kenneth Hite have figured out a way to do it. Robin Laws put together "The Armitage Files" which is a big collection of NPCs and clues, but without a single defining mystery plot. The idea is that it can be an improvisational investigation. You hand the players the first handout, which foreshadows terrible things, mentions multiple NPCs, and several locations.

Then they decide what they want to look up. You pay close attention to the crzy theories that players always throw out and decide which aspects will be interesting. You make sure that things are still building towards some kind of climax or reveal so that there will still be a satisfying resolution to the game. As an example from Armitage Files, some of the letters seem to be written by Armitage himself but he's going progressively crazier, so the players would want to keep an eye on him as things progress.

Kenneth Hite (and Gareth Ryder-Hanrahan) have been working on the Dracula Dossier, which applies the same idea to Dracula. They've been working up the same NPC and location list along with an "unredacted" copy of the Dracula novel that you can drop on the table in front of your players and say, "okay, what do you want to investigate?"

I think both of these allow for the player-driven gameplay that's normally associated with a sandbox, but you as GM have to do a bit more work to make sure that they are progressing towards a conclusion instead of chasing down red herrings.

That is really interesting and useful.

I had not heard of the Armitage Files. I have heard of the Dracula Dossier but nothing about it's structure like you described. That is pretty goddamn smart game design.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

TehKeen posted:

There is Achtung! Cthulhu which as I understand it is pulpy WW2 vs the Mythos. :shrug:

quote:

In the Achtung! Cthulhu universe, a band of Allied heroes fight the Secret War against the Nazi Black Sun and their rivals Nachtwolfe. Powered with ancient secrets and terribly Mythos allies, Black Sun and Nachtwolfe are on the verge of unleashing terrible weapons upon the Allied forces. You'll be able to follow their exploits through the roleplaying games, boardgames, graphic novels, audio adventures, wargames, card games and much more.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

TehKeen posted:

Like the others have said, it really depends on what aspect of the war you're focusing on and what level of cinematic vs gritty you're aiming for.

Pulp Action Adventure? stuff like Savage Worlds or FATE would work well.

Gritty War Is Hell where death is just one bad move away or even down just cruel luck? Reskinned Grunt (gritty vietnam RPG) like Lichenstein mentioned

If you want to do one about fighter pilots you could use the Warbirds RPG with its WW2 supplement (Though the selection of planes is limited and might need some homebrewing if you want to feature a certain plane). Alternatively there is Night Witches, an Apocalypse World based game about an all-women Russian Night Bomber Regiment, though that is less about detailed battles and more about dealing with the horrors of war and the unique challenges an all women's military unit faces in a sexist organization like a 1940s military structure.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Loki_XLII posted:

Honestly I would try just saying that you're not sure what to do and end the session with the results of the roll up in the air. Then open next session with the best idea you came up with and work from there.

It's better to end on a cliffhanger than have a bad ending, I feel.

That's interesting. I never considered having the roll stand but not telling the players the result until the next session.

I like having something like the list of MC moves in front of me when I GM. I'm hoping to get something I can distill into something like that but specifically for the end of the session.

Like you could have a list of cool ways to end a session.

Victory! They save the prince(ss) and defeat the dragon.
Set-up/cliffhanger. They save the day, but then they see the dragon coming over the horizon.
Misdirect. The prince(ss) was in another castle.
Captured. Now the prince(ss) needs to save you.
Big reveal. The prince(ss) is the dragon!

What else could go on such a list?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sike!: The Dragon was actually a good entity who kept the Princess imprisoned because she is an evil tyrant and now the PCs hosed up and have to team up with the previous villain in order to beat the new menace.

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 5, 2015

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Urban Eberron campaign that takes place entirely in Sharn.

i did this and it was cool. morning guys

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

So like I said in another thread I'm starting up a pirate D&D campaign with some friends. Some of them are new to tabletop RPGs but they all have one thing in common, they've all played at least one of Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and the Neverwinter games. I've decided it would be cool as a result to set the game in the Forgotten Realms North. I'm looking at what I want to keep or eject and one of the latter is the whole thing where Amn colonizes Maztica. I'm a little unsure of whether I should just remove the event entirely, or say the attempt happened but the wannabe colonizers had their poo poo pushed in totally. What do you all think?

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jul 6, 2015

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

If your players aren't big FR geeks and you're running around northern Sword Coast, colonization of some buttlove continent way over there won't ever matter. If it ever becomes meaningful, you can always go "hey uh I'm not very comfortable with this whole thing" and then crowd-source a solution that fits your game best.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Have you considered plunking in the entire Freeport campaign world into Forgotten Realms Lighting Lord? It's ready made for pirates.

And I second the above suggestion. Just wave a hand and things you don't like just don't bother with.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://goblinworks.com/forum/topic/3046/

lol

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

"Don't cheat."

"Will there be cheating prevention?"

"No. Don't cheat."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hey, he's the Steve Jobs of MMO Marketing, not MMO Management.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Goblinworks' unprecedented Honor System engine.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

:smith:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Its a perfect match, a bad MMO for a bad game. :v:

And yet, probably somehow still better than Dungeons and Dragons (Online).

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

DDO was boring and poorly designed but at least functioned. This is going to be a trainwreck the likes of which the world has not seen since the Anarchy Online launch.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Its a perfect match, a bad MMO for a bad game. :v:

And yet, probably somehow still better than Dungeons and Dragons (Online).

Whoah hey DDO isn't spectacular but it's 10 times the game PFO is and actually manages to be a somewhat accurate representation of what D&D is in some respects.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Goblinworks' unprecedented Honor System engine.

I was just wondering when we were going to get a Meridian 59 reboot.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

gradenko_2000 posted:

Whoah hey DDO isn't spectacular but it's 10 times the game PFO is and actually manages to be a somewhat accurate representation of what D&D is in some respects.

It was a pretty boring waste of the Eberron license though.

Dec 26, 2012

Ryan Dancey's going to make you his bitch.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kai Tave posted:

It was a pretty boring waste of the Eberron license though.

:agreed:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I will never forgive WoTC for not getting an Eberron videogame with the 4E engine.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

I will never forgive WoTC for not getting an Eberron videogame with the 4E engine.

Blame Atari for squatting on the license and not doing anything worthwhile with it for the entire 4th edition era.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Well the reason I bring up Maztica is because it's mentioned in Baldur's Gate 2 a bunch, which all my friends have played. I'm also thinking about making the captain of the ship from there. Plus I think the idea of the fake Aztecs kicking the rear end of some bumbling wannabe colonists is a good one but maybe I'm a dumb gently caress and the idea would just be awkward. I mean really I'm not asking for permission, just doing a sounding board thing to see if it's a good idea outside of my head.

Looting Freeport is a pretty good idea.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I didn't think anything was wrong with the Sunset Invasion DLC for CK2, if that's at all comparable. I say go for it, but you don't want to and they wonder where it is, just be upfront about it.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

I didn't think anything was wrong with the Sunset Invasion DLC for CK2, if that's at all comparable. I say go for it, but you don't want to and they wonder where it is, just be upfront about it.

I was thinking along the same lines. If it doesn't disrupt the tone of your game unexpected Mayan Man o'Wars commerce raiding the pirate lanes or even giving priate colonists stiff competition might be fun.

Now I'm imagining a sea battle between a fleet of black flagged Baninite warships armed with green fire, fast skiffs flying the flag of Cyric, a Mayan fleet and traditional pirates all over the place while Drizzt jumps from rigging to mizzenmast Assassin's Creed style.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm probably in the minority of people who actually liked that DLC, not only because it added a sort of an "end boss" style horde into the game when you were playing as a Western European power and the Mongols couldn't even touch you, but also because the narrative of the DLC (which is revealed if you're playing as a Norse ruler and have the Sunset Invasion DLC activated) was fun.

I could imagine running an RPG in an alternate history Europe where the Norse explorers who found Vinland accidentally came into contact with the Aztec Empire and the Aztecs went to work copying their shipbuilding and navigation technology so as to launch an invasion to Europe.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Mycroft Holmes posted:

I'm not sure of this is the right place, but I've been working on a Fallout game set in London. I've got a ruleset and some setting ideas, but I was wondering if anyone could give some ideas? I'd really appreciate it.

Just to go back to this for a moment:

We know only one thing about London in the Fallout Universe and that is that someone moved from London to the Capital Wasteland and considered it a huge upgrade. Think about that for a moment. Going to the Capital Wasteland and thinking 'yeah, this is much nicer.'

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Mycroft Holmes posted:

I'm not sure of this is the right place, but I've been working on a Fallout game set in London. I've got a ruleset and some setting ideas, but I was wondering if anyone could give some ideas? I'd really appreciate it.

There are some Fallout: UK and London discussions here.

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Fallout

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Sion posted:

Just to go back to this for a moment:

We know only one thing about London in the Fallout Universe and that is that someone moved from London to the Capital Wasteland and considered it a huge upgrade. Think about that for a moment. Going to the Capital Wasteland and thinking 'yeah, this is much nicer.'

fallout 3 is not canon

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Even for the chat thread, this is off-topic, but I kind of don't know where else to ask. I've tried putting e/n bullshit in e/n before and had little success.

I run my own computer repair startup and I work very irregularly at the moment. It is therefore important that I have fun stuff scheduled each week or I go absolutely insane from boredom. Unfortunately, I very seldom have fun stuff scheduled these days, partly because my few IRL friends work weekdays and are invariably busy with Other, More Important Stuff on weekends. I'm bored as poo poo, and no new video games I want come out until September.

How do I meet nerds my age? What is my best course of action besides literally asking an internet comedy subforum about role playing games for advice on how to meet people? I've had no luck with Meetup and only a few hits near me from the TG livegame thread. I'm in Ventura County, California fwiw.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Captain Walker posted:

Even for the chat thread, this is off-topic, but I kind of don't know where else to ask. I've tried putting e/n bullshit in e/n before and had little success.

I run my own computer repair startup and I work very irregularly at the moment. It is therefore important that I have fun stuff scheduled each week or I go absolutely insane from boredom. Unfortunately, I very seldom have fun stuff scheduled these days, partly because my few IRL friends work weekdays and are invariably busy with Other, More Important Stuff on weekends. I'm bored as poo poo, and no new video games I want come out until September.

How do I meet nerds my age? What is my best course of action besides literally asking an internet comedy subforum about role playing games for advice on how to meet people? I've had no luck with Meetup and only a few hits near me from the TG livegame thread. I'm in Ventura County, California fwiw.
It sounds like there aren't established TG groups looking for people or other people like you trying to meet up. I would find some groups based on other interests, then put together some people who seem like they'd be interested and start a board game night or RPG.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Tome of Battle question: I know that the Warblade was intended to be a direct replacement for the Core Fighter, but was the Crusader supposed to replace the Paladin? And was the Swordsage supposed to replace anyone in particular?

I've only gone through two of the disciplines so far, but I don't think anything's going to top Finishing Move and Strike of Perfect Clarity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Tome of Battle question: I know that the Warblade was intended to be a direct replacement for the Core Fighter, but was the Crusader supposed to replace the Paladin? And was the Swordsage supposed to replace anyone in particular?

I've only gone through two of the disciplines so far, but I don't think anything's going to top Finishing Move and Strike of Perfect Clarity.

Swordsage was supposed to be a Monk substitute as far as I know, it even has an unarmed variation!

• Locked thread