Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

For 28 minutes, unless you spec into alchemy, which makes it 90 minutes. Having health regen on demand for as long as you have stamina is 100 times better.

Time spent casting quen is time not setting monsters on fire, disemboweling them, and throwing bombs at their mewling spawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Troll decoction on BBB/DM isn't bad either. But yeah, Alt-quen is definitely handy, especially for those moments where you dodge to the side only to find more bad guys there and oops, now you're surrounded.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

420 Gank Mid posted:

Time spent casting quen is time not setting monsters on fire, disemboweling them, and throwing bombs at their mewling spawn.

Yeah, this is how I see it. 3 seconds of quen might heal you to full, but 3 seconds of igni makes the monsters all die, then you can heal to full with swallow. Calling alcohest/dwarven spirit "consumable" is pretty misleading. Quen is probably nice before you get swallow but eh, you get it way early in the tutorial and I did not have the patience to stand around holding quen waiting to get hit.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 6, 2015

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

For 28 minutes, unless you spec into alchemy, which makes it 90 minutes. Having health regen on demand for as long as you have stamina is 100 times better.
And after you've used Ekhidna, you take Ekkimmara, or Troll. You also have 3 full heals from White Raffords' (and invincibility for 2 seconds) and 5 Swallows. On top of that, if you're using the + health/potion skill, you're healing 25% every time you use any potion. And I need my stamina to kill things, not heal.

Plus by the time you have all of this, if you're limited in any way, shape or form by supplies, I don't even know what you're doing. Alt-Quen's a great early game skill, but respec'ing out of it isn't a bad idea.

E: Superior Golden Oriole and Devil's Puffball is funnier than it should be even if it isn't the best healing.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 6, 2015

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I didn't use potions for the first 10 hours because I thought you had to remix them when you ran out and I didn't want to farm more monster brains constantly.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Nitrousoxide posted:

I didn't use potions for the first 10 hours because I thought you had to remix them when you ran out and I didn't want to farm more monster brains constantly.

This is how they were in witcher 2, so I used them approximately never. That might well be the best system change of any of them.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I didn't want to spec into potions because gently caress having to scroll through the inventory. There really ought to be a way to bind more potions to certain button combinations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Yeah I love being able to pop Thunderbolt and whatever else I find appropriate right before and then oh lol it lasts like 5 minutes now, let me go clear out the rest of this dungeon/field/nest then I can rest because I have 200 Alcholest and 300 Dwarven Spirit in my saddlebags.

Rated PG-34 posted:

I didn't want to spec into potions because gently caress having to scroll through the inventory. There really ought to be a way to bind more potions to certain button combinations.
The next patch is addressing some major issues with the game, including the inventory and specifically that tab.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Rated PG-34 posted:

yeah this is really what stops me from giving a real poo poo about potions and alchemy stuff, the ui is a real loving drag to deal with at any time.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
I have a question about Triss and Menge, the level 12 quest Count Reuven's Treasure. At what point is it too late to go and save triss from getting tortured? So far we're still talking - the torturer is talking about taking her fingernails out and I have an option to go ahead with it or stop everything and start fighting, but I don't know what the last possible moment is. It's dumb - I read a spoiler and I know that if I stop it I get nothing, and if I let it happen I get some benefit and Triss forgives me anyway, but for some weird reason I'd rather it not happen. Even though it's literally just pixels on a screen, the story is too good to not get involved. So when is the point at which I've come the furthest and I should stop it?

e: Actually, just found a lets play video. Sounds like this is the point!

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I have a question about Triss and Menge, the level 12 quest Count Reuven's Treasure. At what point is it too late to go and save triss from getting tortured? So far we're still talking - the torturer is talking about taking her fingernails out and I have an option to go ahead with it or stop everything and start fighting, but I don't know what the last possible moment is. It's dumb - I read a spoiler and I know that if I stop it I get nothing, and if I let it happen I get some benefit and Triss forgives me anyway, but for some weird reason I'd rather it not happen. Even though it's literally just pixels on a screen, the story is too good to not get involved. So when is the point at which I've come the furthest and I should stop it?

It's all or nothing, really. If you stop early it's the same as never allowing any part of it.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

the tutorial info for the triss and yennefer alts says i can change them in the game menu.

where in the game menu? don't see it anywhere

edit: oh, the main menu option menu, got it.

cams fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 7, 2015

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Item stash? Great, now I have to play the game over again just to not dismantle the Emmentaler.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Just realized, PS4 is still on 1.05 patch, those notes are for 1.07. Does this mean I'll have to wait even longer for that patch?

Jetfire posted:

Item stash? Great, now I have to play the game over again just to not dismantle the Emmentaler.
Yeah I decided to start up my Death March play through right now, look forward to hoarding every single unique item so I can save it for zero reason whatsoever. Videogame OCD hooray.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

cams posted:

Just realized, PS4 is still on 1.05 patch, those notes are for 1.07. Does this mean I'll have to wait even longer for that patch?
Yeah I decided to start up my Death March play through right now, look forward to hoarding every single unique item so I can save it for zero reason whatsoever. Videogame OCD hooray.

Patch numbers on consoles are one behind, so console 1.06 will be the same as 1.07.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Geralt invites magicians, masons and carpenters from across the land to compete in his Kaer Morhen renovation challenge, broadcast throughout the Northern Realms via xenovox.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Crappy Jack posted:

Even as he's talking about it, I'm standing there desperately mashing the "NO DON'T GIVE IT TO ME SERIOUSLY I JUST MADE A SWORD PLEASE KEEP IT"

Now I am imagining Geralt getting swords like a kid gets sweaters at Christmas.

"Oh. Hey. Another sword. ... No I love it! It's great. I'll use it right now, see?" *slash* *slash*

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

eXXon posted:

Geralt invites magicians, masons and carpenters from across the land to compete in his Kaer Morhen renovation challenge, broadcast throughout the Northern Realms via xenovox.

Castle Flippers

Also a show in which ugly girls turn themselves into supermodels using dark sorcery instead of plastic surgery

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

eXXon posted:

At the rate I keep sending people to Kaer Morhen it'll turn into a bustling city before the game is out.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

etalian posted:

Castle Flippers

Also a show in which ugly girls turn themselves into supermodels using dark sorcery instead of plastic surgery

When in reality they were never really ugly to begin with.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

cams posted:

Same here, just restarted on Death March. Doing the bodice-ripping witcher run some other goon talked about. I wonder if the lack of armor will be more of a problem at higher levels.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Getting into SUPER unnecessary min/max territory... it seems that points of interest that grant XP do not actually have a level, so you can get full XP from them at any level. With this in mind, I think on my next play through I'm going to completely ignore them unless they're in my way to a side quest or something.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

cams posted:

Getting into SUPER unnecessary min/max territory... it seems that points of interest that grant XP do not actually have a level, so you can get full XP from them at any level. With this in mind, I think on my next play through I'm going to completely ignore them unless they're in my way to a side quest or something.
I went in and turned the map marker for PoIs off so on my next playthrough exploring will feel more like exploring. And thankfully the game is so large I will barely remember a lot of fine details and will be surprised by things all over again.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm wishing I was playing this right now but I want to wait for the new patch and it is torturing me.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

cheesetriangles posted:

I'm wishing I was playing this right now but I want to wait for the new patch and it is torturing me.
Same. I am trying to do productive things in the mean time but I know that once that patch hits I am starting a second run through :sigh: I really wanted to wait for one of the expansions so I dont burn out on the game but I have a feeling that burnout will be hard once the inventory is fixed.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm going to play Planescape Torment which should occupy a good chunk of time. Never finished it but this time I will.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

cheesetriangles posted:

I'm going to play Planescape Torment which should occupy a good chunk of time. Never finished it but this time I will.

Max wisdom and intelligence.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I just met "Private Slate" and I can't stop laughing.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Just a heads up that I just checked the small island with a question mark south of Fyke Island and holy poo poo is it a treasure trove. The island by itself has a little treasure quest where you have to dive underwater but when you dive around there are like 6 or 7 chests on the bottom of the lake and the island itself has one hidden one. There's everything there from swords, equipment to recipes and I'd say it's a must visit around level 4-5.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

enraged_camel posted:

I just met "Private Slate" and I can't stop laughing.

Bravest soldier there is :poland:
Also is there a way to reset a quest's progress? I found and took the "Empty coop", but I drove away wanting to finish it later. Noticed a couple of hours later that it failed.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Hurray!

Our favourite missing persons status

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Senjuro posted:

Is there a way to stop the real time beard growth? Kind of a pain in the rear end to have to go to barbers all the time to maintain a certain look.

Pick a beard style that isn't clean shaven and it should stick. I recommend mutton chops.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I have been out of the loop for some time - any news on the Zoltan card and the scholar from the Gwent tutorial? I did check the camp fire near the Hanging Tree, found the notes, but no card.

(If you didn't bother to win it from him, the scholar will be gone and apparently dead later on, giving you a fair chance to gently caress up the longest running quest in the game right off the bat.)

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

mmkay posted:

Also is there a way to reset a quest's progress? I found and took the "Empty coop", but I drove away wanting to finish it later. Noticed a couple of hours later that it failed.
Nope, failed quests stay failed. You can always reload the save from before they failed but there's no way to reset the status when it already happened.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Lord Lambeth posted:

Pick a beard style that isn't clean shaven and it should stick. I recommend mutton chops.

Picked the trimmed full beard but it always grew back to full length. Although there have been several patches since I bothered trying again. Maybe it was a bug that has since been fixed?

But the dream of a free Vergen seems dead no matter what.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jul 7, 2015

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

But Odrin is already in the game!

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Looks like Steam updated the header for the game + expansion package:

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Wiseblood posted:

Looks like Steam updated the header for the game + expansion package:

Is that Shani? Pretty sweet if it is.

Edit: Checked how she looked in the Witcher 1, and yep, it's her. :toot:

Meta-Mollusk fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jul 7, 2015

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

So..... question for you fine folks...

I think I'm either doing something wrong, or I suck at this game..

So, downloaded the game, installed it, watched the opening cutscenes, played the tutorial, got to the first village and then wandered around looking for quests. Got a whole bunch of side missions from the notice board and people in town, and then wandered up to where the little yellow circle thing was indicating my next quest goal. I get to some magic shrine area and then this ghosty/vampire/rear end in a top hat appears, I take out my sword and start the fight. I've died on him at least 5 times now. I "beat" him once and then he went inside and I followed him in, and he murdered me inside.

Is this normal? Do I just suck? Should I be doing all the sidequests first to level up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Do something else, a different quest, some question marks. I died a ton at the start.