Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Hype train is coming.

Please don't stand on the tracks :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
In preparation, here's a "best of" build tips of the last 69 pages. I'm not in-lining them since there are a bunch.

http://i.imgur.com/VhhGHjb.png
http://i.imgur.com/YgqrZ0w.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/mE2DODG.png
http://i.imgur.com/aIMQEtz.png
http://i.imgur.com/hJgM8Ul.png
http://i.imgur.com/LgyH8aw.png
http://i.imgur.com/Cj6pXCD.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/vi5bVWU.png
http://i.imgur.com/GCTKQ39.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/CRQaIAk.png

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Oh my god why would you use standard inserters to load up a train car.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

FISHMANPET posted:

Oh my god why would you use standard inserters to load up a train car.

In theory, with enough stack size upgrades, you might not need the throughput of a fast inserter. On the other hand, the less time the train spends at a stop, the better, so there's no reason not to use fast inserters.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
I am having an issue with my train setup that I hope can be solved. I set the slots in a traincar to only accept specific items and I set a requester chest to hold those same items so every time this train arrives at the station the car is refilled with the items it is expected to accept.

The issue is that if the inserter refills the car with a new stack of lights or something and on the last insertion tries to place three lights(because of the container-to-container upgrades) into the car that will only accept two more lights then the inserter gets stuck with a light it does not know what to do with so it does nothing and so nothing else from the chest gets inserted.

Does anyone know how to prevent this behavior from happening?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Is the level of the campaign where you're first exposed to oil bugged? I'm supposed to be making plastic for a plane, but there's no indicator of how much I need.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Nth Doctor posted:

Is the level of the campaign where you're first exposed to oil bugged? I'm supposed to be making plastic for a plane, but there's no indicator of how much I need.

I'm pretty sure you just need enough to actually make the plane.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Spaseman posted:

I am having an issue with my train setup that I hope can be solved. I set the slots in a traincar to only accept specific items and I set a requester chest to hold those same items so every time this train arrives at the station the car is refilled with the items it is expected to accept.

The issue is that if the inserter refills the car with a new stack of lights or something and on the last insertion tries to place three lights(because of the container-to-container upgrades) into the car that will only accept two more lights then the inserter gets stuck with a light it does not know what to do with so it does nothing and so nothing else from the chest gets inserted.

Does anyone know how to prevent this behavior from happening?

Smart inserters, limit to just under the stack size.

Or, wait five days.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

President Ark posted:

I'm pretty sure you just need enough to actually make the plane.

Aww geez. I never thought the plane would be under the Weapons tab.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Nth Doctor posted:

Aww geez. I never thought the plane would be under the Weapons tab.

Well, it is the "military" tab, not the "weapons" tab. For whatever it's worth.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Is there a rough ETA on when 0.12 will be coming out?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Apoplexy posted:

Is there a rough ETA on when 0.12 will be coming out?

soon

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
They were planning on last Friday, but it wasn't ready. They say this Friday seems realistic. So barring any major bug discovery, should be by next Friday.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Oh, hey, I just realized I know nothing about 0.12. Tell me what's going to be changed and added in this version, please, goonkind?

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Personal Roboports are on the agenda: https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-92

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
According to the blog post that insane factory making 1 rocket defense/minute runs at 7.5 fps in the current version and 22 fps in the upcoming version, meaning basically I can go as nuts as I want and it'll never slow down. Seriously that factory is crazy.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Apoplexy posted:

Oh, hey, I just realized I know nothing about 0.12. Tell me what's going to be changed and added in this version, please, goonkind?

Well aside from the always welcome FPS boost there's a bunch of things.

The Rocket Defence is getting replaced with building a Space Ship.
The Personal Roboport someone linked above.
Chain Signals. Which are train signals that prevent a train entering a block that doesn't have an exit free. Good for making Trains take "Free" tracks rather than all queuing up on one of them. This post explains why you'd use them better. https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-81
Combinators. Which can count things moving along a belt or in a chest and do computer logic. So you could have a belt only in use when you have less than 60 Steel or whatever.
New combat robot graphics.

And most important of all.

:circlefap:The Corners of belts will be the same speed as straight sections:circlefap:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Wait will 0.12 bring the space station stuff or is the spaceship going to be nonfunctional and the space station stuff will come later?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Space Station stuff is coming later, we just get to build the rocket for now.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I'll just have to content myself with improved belt corners then.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I thought chain signals were pushed back into the next version also?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
They should be in. You're thinking of the better train controls, like train connection to circuit network, wait for full/empty etc

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Do we know anything about what the space station stuff is supposed to actually include? Like, is it just more land to work with or what?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Fans posted:

Combinators. Which can count things moving along a belt or in a chest and do computer logic. So you could have a belt only in use when you have less than 60 Steel or whatever.

Did they do a blag on that? First I've heard of that.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Slickdrac posted:

Here you go.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Slickdrac posted:

https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-88

Though they're not doing all of that to start with. No sensors, switches or machines related to the circuit networks. Honestly they'll be pretty useless to start with beyond some basic counting.

Eventually though. Scrolling Dickbutts for all.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
Also, trees will die from pollution. And pollution will no longer decay at a fixed 0.55 per chunk per second; it'll be based on the terrain of the chunk. Which brings up: there will be pavement (which won't help with pollution). I guess it will make you run/drive faster on it? I'm not sure, but it excites me that my Bumpers mod (or, more accurately, whatever I write to replace it) will work in vanilla.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

You know, their art design is really smart. It's got a kind of Rube Goldberg-ian thing going on while still looking sorta plausible.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Any way to improve performance, short of waiting for .12? Is it lots of poo poo stuck on belts that really slows everything down? I've got these massive ore fields covered in miners and belts and I don't know if that's what's doing it? Is it the 6000 logistics bots in my network? Wondering if there's anything I can do, either in game settings, or in gameplay, to give my playthrough (with simulation running from 15-30 UPS) some more oomph. I'll probably restart once .12 hits because the mechanics are different enough that I'd play differently, but I want to keep going with this game.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

In 0.11 and before, every single item on a belt is individually simulated. Logistic bots got nothin' on fields of fully saturated belts.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Ugh. I've got mineral fields with hundreds of mining drills, and all the belts that go along with that. Can't wait for .12 to fix that.

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
Found the blog post about optimizing belts from a while ago: https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-82

Relevant section:

quote:

Most of the time, the biggest drain of the game update logic is the transport belts. There are usually many of these, and their logic was straightforward, but very inefficient. Every item on the transport belt was individual in-game entity with collision box and position. Once the item on the transport belt was supposed to move forward, all the nearby items (all in the 2X2 tile area) had to be checked for collision. There can be a lot of items nearby, especially if there is another transport belt next to the existing one so it can result in huge amount of checks.

They've reduced that to just having to check the object in the same lane directly in front. Big savings.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah basically they've turned transport belts into two 'lines' that items travel down rather than the general 'move objects in the square in this direction' rule that they use now. Presumably the general rule will remain in place for entities (player, biters) while items will instead use the more specific rule and if you drop an item sort of offset on a belt I assume it will 'snap' to the correct location rather than just blocking everything up.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So basically I have nobody to blame but myself for this poo poo performance:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Jesus Christ hahaha.

The new version will probably increase your FPS in that factory to at least 10.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Can someone check my math on this? I'm trying to break up my refinery into manageable chunks I can drop anywhere rather than one giant monolithic gently caress off thing.

So, 4 refineries with advanced oil processing will produce, every 5 seconds, 4 heavy oil, 18 light oil, and 22 petroleum. Heavy oil to light oil takes 4 heavy oil and turns it into 3 light oil every 5 seconds. So 1 chemical plant is good enough for my 4 refineries, and that means I'm making 21 light oil and 22 petroleum. Cracking light oil takes 3 light oil in 5 seconds, so I need 7 chemical plants to crack all that light oil. Which then means I'm producing 36 petroleum every 5 seconds. Plastics takes 3 petroleum and 1 second to make plastic, so it needs 15 petroleum every 5 seconds. So I could put in 3 chemical plants in this unit and have them waiting for petroleum sometimes, or 2 chemical plants and have the refinery stop sometimes while it waits for the chemical plants to catch up.

Or since the LCM of 15 and 36 is 180, and 180/36 is 5, I could have 5 sets of my 4-refinery block feed in to 180/15=12 chemical plants producing plastic bars.

Since I've already got a refinery that makes enough of everything else, I'd just need plastic units I could drop anywhere on the map. Does that all check out?

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Does anybody know how to fix the "no blueprint found in toolbar" error from the blueprint manager mod?

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

Is there any way to change size of mineral deposits after start? I have about 50 hours into a factory now and just starting to get good amounts of alien artifacts, but all my mineral deposits are set to normal/regular from when I first started. What's my best option (please don't say restart :( ).

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Apocadall posted:

Is there any way to change size of mineral deposits after start? I have about 50 hours into a factory now and just starting to get good amounts of alien artifacts, but all my mineral deposits are set to normal/regular from when I first started. What's my best option (please don't say restart :( ).

I won't say anything, then. :v:

sorry :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

President Ark posted:

I won't say anything, then. :v:

sorry :(

drat, oh well, I guess at least now that I understand it all well enough maybe I can plan something out better this time.

current setup

Power in top left, steel and iron plates to the top right, was expanding to the lower right to put more stuff in, maybe ore processing? Is it more effective to process at the dig site and then transport the plates or the transport the ore to a central smelter? I feel like the central smelter might be more extensible.

edit: as an aside, running transport belts everywhere in the beginning reminds me a lot of running traces for PCBs.

Apocadall fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 9, 2015