Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

You better get a helmet that looks like a honeybee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Digital_Jesus posted:

Get a v4 and maybe I'll road trip to CA and you, z3n, and I can wheelie around town all day.

Did this with Spiff when he was out, can confirm it is a good time.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

spandexcajun posted:

Hi CA, have not been here for a while. You may remember me as the dumbass who bought a WR450 Supermoto that blew up a week after he purchased it, paid way to much money to have the engine rebuilt then rode if for a month and decided it was not for me and got rid of it....

Well, I'm not all lack of brains and to much money. I also have a 2003 SV650 that I have been happily riding for 6 - 7 years or so now but wanted an upgrade.

This was pretty much the only choice :) I always figured I would get a street triple but Yamaha announced this thing I have have coveted it ever since. I hesitated on yellow, now I have no idea why, clearly yellow is the only choice.

That Picture was about 15 miles from the dealership, I decided to eat and take the long way home. around 100 miles later messing about in the front range of Denver and I am in love!

Rinse and repeat today, I ran up to Estes Park and got into some nasty rain so I was taking it easy. around 300 miles on the clock now, first time I have ever had a brand new bike, "feels good man"

I figure this might be a popular CA bike, it hits all the right spots for sure. I have not had any qualms with the supposed "snatchy throttle" or "Horrible suspension" but this might be due to coming from a 13 year old budget bike that has the first year FI that was alway choppy to start with. I did fix up the suspension on my SV, new front springs, heavier fork oil and a rear shock from some sporty Kawasaki or something, I thought it was pretty nice after that.

This Yamaha has way better suspension out the box from what I can tell, maybe it will soften up as I break it in. The engine is absolutely insane. I have not even gone above 8k RPMs yet and don't imagine I will anytime soon. The three fueling modes are cool, I have just been in standard and "b" (rain?) mode, it really did help in the rain. The "A" mode is absurd, I finally heard the song of the sausage creature while I was briefly wading in "A" mode.

Any FZ09 thread around? The FZ09 forums don't look to suck to much, but pretty much all other motorcycle forms drive me nut except this one and I guess ADVRider.

Anyhow, I guess I just wanted to share, this community has always been pretty cool, I'll have to hang around more often. Someone had a white FZ07 a few pages back... drat that is a nice looking bike!

NOICE.

We have a sometimes-active Colorado thread if you're interested. Or not. Whatever.

Zoerp
Sep 29, 2012

Lord of the Seas

Got this a couple weeks back, 2014 Honda CBR600rr

edit: better picture

Zoerp fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 4, 2015

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Zoerp posted:

Got this a couple weeks back, 2014 Honda CBR600rr

I'm normally don't like red on bikes, but that machine is pretty slick. :thumbsup:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Those are some of the best wheels ever made. Love that design.

jdfording
Nov 10, 2006
Picked up a 1984 Honda XL350R for $200 with 15k miles on it. Starts within 3 kicks. Just started riding a week ago. Got a whopping 70 miles under my belt. Finally got the nerve up to drive into town and fill it with gas and found some cool trails.
Won't be doing much with this bike for upgrades. I replaced all the controls and un farked the PO's ghetto repairs. Got a bigger Clark tank on the way. Going to just ride this for a while and decide on if I want to go with a Yamaha WR250R, CRF250L or step up to a XR650L or different 650CC bike. I know for sure I'm not ready for a 650 yet. I jumped on a friends XR600R and that thing is a beast of a bike.

Some pics from my 20 mile adventure.

Was hoping to go farther on that trail but I came up to a locked gate and couldn't find a way around so I turned around.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That landscape :swoon:

Wanna ride a 125 two-stroke really slowly there.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013
Looks a lot like Eastern Montana.

advion
Jul 25, 2005
We were in the market for a used bike to fix up a little, nothing crazy. After looking at a couple bikes from some local ads we gave up and went to the dealer to buy a new helmet and see what else they had clothing wise. Wife took a look around the showroom and liked the CB1100 and then saw the FZ-09 and decided she wanted crazy. I wholeheartedly concurred and after taking a trip to the bank and wiping out our vacation fund (stopped caring about the vacation as soon as I started riding it the 40 miles home) this now sits in our garage. I'm jealous she has a better bike than me but pfft it's secretly "ours"... I'm going to continue thinking that anyway.

They charged a little extra (was around $200 I believe) for one with steel brake lines, a tail tidy and integrated tail light, flush signals on the front, engine sliders, a radiator guard and a flyscreen. We would have done all of that ourselves except maybe the screen and the guard so we just agreed to get it. Was still less than 9k after taxes and all the other poo poo.

I've already pulled a few unintentional wheelies in STD mode. Not sure I would survive long in A mode.

Potato quality photos ahead.

advion fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jul 4, 2015

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Wowzers.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
drat. I'm jealous.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
That is swanky as all hell.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
How comfortable is it for the passenger while two up? I like the color combo a lot.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

BlackMK4 posted:

How comfortable is it for the passenger while two up? I like the color combo a lot.

I was wondering the same thing. My fiance really likes the look of it too, but she was concerned the seat wouldn't be super comfy for a pillion. Maybe having her first two-up ride on be a Tiger spoiled her a bit. :cheeky:

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
Got a little lost today, but found the Pedernales River in Texas. Its still a little flooded.

I'm torn on selling the GS500. Its been such a good bike and I'll be lucky to ever own something as reliable as this lovely Suzuki.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Minkee posted:

I'm torn on selling the GS500. Its been such a good bike and I'll be lucky to ever own something as reliable as this lovely Suzuki.

You think this, but it isn't true. Lots of bikes are extremely reliable without being as lovely as a GS500 - not saying those are particularly lovely (they aren't) but technology has moved on and there are lots of options that are better in basically every way without sacrificing any ruggedness. I say this as someone with a soft spot for those bikes.

advion
Jul 25, 2005

Chichevache posted:

I was wondering the same thing. My fiance really likes the look of it too, but she was concerned the seat wouldn't be super comfy for a pillion. Maybe having her first two-up ride on be a Tiger spoiled her a bit. :cheeky:

She finds it very comfortable but that's coming from our 06 650R and we've only ridden two up on the FZ for a couple hours so we will have to get some more time on it. Her only complaint it that our heads are more inline now so she has to peek off to the side more to see. On the 650R she was up higher so she could peek over my helmet pretty easily.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

advion posted:

She finds it very comfortable but that's coming from our 06 650R and we've only ridden two up on the FZ for a couple hours so we will have to get some more time on it. Her only complaint it that our heads are more inline now so she has to peek off to the side more to see. On the 650R she was up higher so she could peek over my helmet pretty easily.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not too worried about my fiance ever being able to see over my shoulder. I'm 6' and she's 5'. Maybe a massive cruiser would give her a viewing angle?

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

quote:

Nice, we can start a gang...

looks like the dealer did to your bike everything I want to do to mine, excepting bar end mirrors, clutch / break levers. Probably a good price considering, I am up to $600 worth of aftermarket stuff in various online shopping carts... not even looking at exhaust yet.

I think I want OEM LED turn signals on the front, still looking for a nice online guide on how to do this myself, something about LED's messing up the speed blinkers blink at, not sure yet. I changed my oil @ 385 miles, it looked nasty, I should have done it after the first ride. Oh well.

Can anyone recommend a oil analyses company? It might be a fun experiment to have the first 4 - 5 oil changes analyzed, just for kicks.

Bad pic of the bike, I was checking out a fishing spot off of HWY 6, still to much run off:

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Finally have this thing back on the road.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Dude! Let's ride sometime. Did you ever figure out the rear fender thing?

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Fo sho. I decided to just keep the tail as is for now. The only tail tidy kit online is some shady looking website from Brazil. Cutting the entire back off would require an integrated tail light or custom blinkers I guess. As of now it's just the regular license plate bracket chopped all the way up to the blinkers.

advion
Jul 25, 2005

spandexcajun posted:

Nice, we can start a gang...

looks like the dealer did to your bike everything I want to do to mine, excepting bar end mirrors, clutch / break levers. Probably a good price considering, I am up to $600 worth of aftermarket stuff in various online shopping carts... not even looking at exhaust yet.

I think I want OEM LED turn signals on the front, still looking for a nice online guide on how to do this myself, something about LED's messing up the speed blinkers blink at, not sure yet. I changed my oil @ 385 miles, it looked nasty, I should have done it after the first ride. Oh well.

We took off the windscreen and she ended up liking it without. I went on a 50 mile ride yesterday while she was working and I didn't notice much of a difference at 70mph on the highway. I love the way it sounds already but I kind of want to hear how something like the Akrapovic sounds. That if it happens is just a luxury and won't happen for a long while. The only thing I plan on doing in the short term is centering the dash. We almost got the yellow but it was still in the crate and she didn't get to see it so she just went with the silver.

http://greggscustoms.com/product/yamaha-fz-09-low-profile-gauge-bracket/

To fix LED blinker speeds you just wire in a load resistor or LED flasher it really takes no time.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

:madmax:

Had a real good time trying to avoid a 5 mile long oil slick in the rain on the dragon A+++ would accidentally back it in again

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

M42 posted:

Had a real good time trying to avoid a 5 mile long oil slick in the rain on the dragon A+++ would accidentally back it in again

That Scorpion helmet looks pretty slick. White gear, right gear.:hfive:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

white helmet silver visor 4 lyfe

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

M42 posted:

Naked bike, hair. I legit thought this was an nsap post for a minute.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Well on the plus side, rain is usually good at clearing out the harley riders.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Dragon harley riders are a different breed. I saw more of those than any other bike, especially in the pouring rain. Very courteous, actual riding skills. Props!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

M42 posted:

A short first gear and V-twin conspire to make riding an SV in the rain pretty much the best thing ever.

I'm super jealous of your black frame and forks, it looks sooo much better than the silver frame on my '03 :(. Is your gopro pointed off to one side? that picture makes it look like it's pointed straight at your butt.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

M42 posted:

Dragon harley riders are a different breed. I saw more of those than any other bike, especially in the pouring rain. Very courteous, actual riding skills. Props!

I'm pretty convinced most folks here have only experienced the RUBs.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Elviscat posted:

that picture makes it look like it's pointed straight at your butt.
Don't kinkshame please

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

Welp, I have a brand new bike and you make me long for my SV already (it's in the garage....) Looking good.

White helmet army for life!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Elviscat posted:

it look like it's pointed straight at your butt.

https://www.google.com/search?q=moto+gp+butt+cam&espv=2&biw=1284&bih=991&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=CkGbVbm4NYfaoATtzp3oCQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

But does that work with the more upright riding position?

VV I'm dumb, I also forgot, you have clipons 'cause of the GSXR front end.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 7, 2015

M42
Nov 12, 2012

It's only upright if you're not freakin tiny

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Marxalot posted:

Naked bike, hair. I legit thought this was an nsap post for a minute.
nsap has way more fabulous hair. Sorry, m42.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Agreed, poo poo's luxurious af

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

M42 posted:

Does this include trikes? Also, that is a nice picture. How was the whole ride?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

nsap has way more fabulous hair. Sorry, m42.

Have you seen him with the helmet off?