Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Tiggum posted:

Challenger Comics Viewer should do what you want, I think. It has the swipe to turn pages thing by default but there's an option to turn it off.

I downloaded this and mucked around with the options but I can't find the option (even in Advanced mode) to disable 'swipe to turn page'. I set it to Image Display Mode: Single page and changed the volume keys to turn pages but can't find anything that stops it from turning the page when you're zoomed in and hit the border.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Rubies posted:

Normally I'd accuse you of being paranoid, but I know here they investigate asbestos dumping here even if it's just broken up tiles in a garbage bag. That said, you probably won't alert anyone unless is was obviously from a construction site or something. Just keep em under the porch so ne'er-do-wells don't get too used to it being the anonymous neighborhood dump.

Yeah the area I'm in is pretty serious about being green and I asked my duplex neighbor and she said she hadn't put anything in there. I know it definitely sounds crazy but I don't want to get slapped with a fine because someone wanted to chuck out some old paint anonymously (our block was switched from dumpsters to individual bins a few months ago) so I've moved my bins just out of sight behind our fence.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The majority of gifts given to the US President by other countries' leaders are destroyed by the secret service.

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 7, 2015

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
The majority of gifts from the US to other countries are destroyed on impact.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

EmmyOk posted:

The majority of gits given to the US President by other contries' leaders are destroyed by the secret service.

Posting pre-edit, I prefer this version.

Also, this is a good story about why they destroy it even if they can't find any bugs:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thing_%28listening_device%29

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

C-Euro posted:

I think for commercial transactions the one receiving the money pays a fee, for gifts the one giving the money pays the fee though I could be wrong. Also no transaction protection if it's sent as a gift, though it's just money so it's either it gets sent or doesn't.

Gift (or Services) transactions have zero fees on either end. You lose all buyer/seller transactions so it's strictly for cash only payments. It's nearly impossible to reverse so it's fine for your needs.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/helpcenter/helphub/article/?solutionId=FAQ638&m=ARA

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
How does the government account for the cost of manufacturing money? A company that's makes things for sale can recoup the money as part of the price, but the government doesn't sell money.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Mister Kingdom posted:

How does the government account for the cost of manufacturing money? A company that's makes things for sale can recoup the money as part of the price, but the government doesn't sell money.
The government doesn't have a profit motive and thus gives a lot of stuff away for free. It recoups those costs by taxation and borrowing. The manufacture of notes and coinage costs a trifling amount compared to the return produced by having the money in circulation.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mister Kingdom posted:

They account for it the same way they account for everything else. Also nearly all money costs way less to produce than its face value, and the ones that don't are mostly counterbalanced by the ones they do, and all the collectible money and coins and medals the government makes. Same sort of deal with postage stamps.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Does anyone use one of them tag-based file management systems? What kind of things should I look out for or which one is best? I see Tabbles, XYplorer and TagSpaces that all look like they maybe could kind of be good.

I'm an EFL teacher so I make lots of different quick Word and Excel docs and there's a lot of duplication in my files and sometimes it can be hard to find things. I think it would be great if I could tag files for various vocab or grammar topics or administrative tasks rather than trying to remember which class I made that one thing for or which reading thing also had good transportation vocab in it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Is there a luggage review thread out there? I'm trying to find a classy looking ultra thin laptop bag for a 13.3 work laptop that has an extra slot for a 10 inch tablet, with a removable shoulder strap.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Why do Youtubers/internet personalities always use stills of themselves making some extreme face with their eyes popping out as the thumbnails for their videos? Is it just a trend or is their some market research that says you'll get more hits if you make a dumb face?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

NESguerilla posted:

Why do Youtubers/internet personalities always use stills of themselves making some extreme face with their eyes popping out as the thumbnails for their videos? Is it just a trend or is their some market research that says you'll get more hits if you make a dumb face?

Have you ever interacted with a bored child? Making funny faces loving slays them.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

What I want to know is will I still be successful if I'm not stunningly beautiful because I've been doing a bit of research and I'm sensing a recurring theme

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

There's a bunch of average looking dudes that seem to wincing all the way to the bank as well so have at it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

Youtube celebrities are some of the best marketers out there.

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:

NESguerilla posted:

I asked the same thing ITT a while ago, I figured it was some kind of pre-installed Mac video editor thing, like "create title card" or whatever. My question got kind of lost in the shuffle but I'd be really interested in finding out why they all look the same. I try not to get "old man mad" at internet trends but I hate when my whole recommended feed is people reacting to poo poo over a cartoony background with faces like SPROI-OI-OING LOL!!!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Is it as risky to leave a paypal on an account as leaving credit card info?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I downloaded this and mucked around with the options but I can't find the option (even in Advanced mode) to disable 'swipe to turn page'. I set it to Image Display Mode: Single page and changed the volume keys to turn pages but can't find anything that stops it from turning the page when you're zoomed in and hit the border.

For some reason it's under "Animation" in the options.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Rubies posted:

I asked the same thing ITT a while ago, I figured it was some kind of pre-installed Mac video editor thing, like "create title card" or whatever. My question got kind of lost in the shuffle but I'd be really interested in finding out why they all look the same. I try not to get "old man mad" at internet trends but I hate when my whole recommended feed is people reacting to poo poo over a cartoony background with faces like SPROI-OI-OING LOL!!!

Children/man-children like funny faces, wacky noises, and screaming. So there's a lot of that on YouTube.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

greazeball posted:

Does anyone use one of them tag-based file management systems? What kind of things should I look out for or which one is best? I see Tabbles, XYplorer and TagSpaces that all look like they maybe could kind of be good.

I'm an EFL teacher so I make lots of different quick Word and Excel docs and there's a lot of duplication in my files and sometimes it can be hard to find things. I think it would be great if I could tag files for various vocab or grammar topics or administrative tasks rather than trying to remember which class I made that one thing for or which reading thing also had good transportation vocab in it.

Man, you should use Evernote and Google Drive. Maintaining a coherent and usable system of tags/folders/whatever is a fool's errand. I sort all my resources by grade and loose subject matter in Evernote and let note and content indexing take care of the rest. All my materials are in Google Drive (even Word files or whatever become searchable this way).

A good example of how useful this can be: I went to a PD session a couple of years ago on critical thinking through cartoon analysis or something. They had a killer graphic organizer for getting students to begin the process of writing source analyses (which is a main component of their grade 12 standardized tests here). Years go by and I've completely forgotten the name of the session, grade this was supposed to be for, and everything else. The only thing I had was a snapshot I took with my phone of the handouts that I had uploaded to Evernote, and a memory that there was a pig on one of the examples labelled "foreign debt". I searched for those words and Evernote popped up that note! I just recreated the organizer to match my needs and off I went.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Why does my laptop get a fairly consistent 20+ Mbps download speed while my Roku and PS4 get nowhere close to that? I just ran a test on my Roku and it was getting between 3 to 5 Mbps. I followed it immediately with a test on my laptop and got 29 Mbps. All three devices are in the same room as the router.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

me your dad posted:

Why does my laptop get a fairly consistent 20+ Mbps download speed while my Roku and PS4 get nowhere close to that? I just ran a test on my Roku and it was getting between 3 to 5 Mbps. I followed it immediately with a test on my laptop and got 29 Mbps. All three devices are in the same room as the router.

Most likely the laptop uses a newer Wifi type (wireless N or whatever) than the other devices. If they are wired then it could be a setting in the adapter and they are not on Full Duplex. Or perhaps they are on a separate switch that is making the difference. Really there can be a lot of different things.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I'm looking for estimates on the rate of wrongful convictions for various types of felony. For instance, are wrongful convictions more common in the case of homicides than, say, mail fraud?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Baron Bifford posted:

I'm looking for estimates on the rate of wrongful convictions for various types of felony. For instance, are wrongful convictions more common in the case of homicides than, say, mail fraud?

I really doubt you'll find this number broken down this way. Since wrongful conviction cases are overturned mostly by DNA evidence, wrongful conviction cases happen mostly in areas where DNA evidence is used. I assume there are fewer trials of mail fraud that use DNA evidence than homicide so that even if the actual rate of wrongful convictions was much higher for mail fraud, there would be no way to actually know it. Also (and I don't know if this is actually the case) it seems to me like the resources involved in overturning a conviction would be preferentially directed to cases where someone was still serving his sentence—if this is the case, then wrongful conviction rates would be biased toward crimes with longer sentences. Another problem is the uncertainly involved: actual wrongful conviction rates (between 0.5% to 1%) severely underestimate the true rate since we're limited to cases where exonerating evidence was actually found. There must be far more cases where this evidence wasn't found (or was ignored). There is huge uncertainty around these estimates. Breaking them down further is a fool's game.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

Is it as risky to leave a paypal on an account as leaving credit card info?

Potentially. PayPal hss shittier toc and resources to help you if your account is comprised and someone goes on a spending spre on your dime. Your bank would, hopefully, make an effort on your part if your cc was stolen via a compromised online account and you reported it. And if they get suspicious activity on your cc from sround the world.. Either keep an eye on your account or detach paypal.

Assuming, of course you have a cc or bank account attached to your paypal that could be wiped out if the websites security is poo poo and your password is stolen.

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
I have heard too many horror stories about paypal to trust them with an account just lying around. It seems like a debit card that is less secure and has less friendly customer service.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Tiggum posted:

For some reason it's under "Animation" in the options.

Oh you're amazing! I don't know how I missed that. Thank you!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Trastion posted:

Most likely the laptop uses a newer Wifi type (wireless N or whatever) than the other devices. If they are wired then it could be a setting in the adapter and they are not on Full Duplex. Or perhaps they are on a separate switch that is making the difference. Really there can be a lot of different things.

There's also the issue of spectra. My laptop and mobile devices are newish and can run on 5ghz signals and the router broadcasts both 5ghz and 2.4ghz. All my home theatre stuff only runs on 2.4, so it gets crowded and slow especially if you have close neighbours filling up the space as well. I'm not sure how devices know when to switch around, but my router's monitoring page makes me think that it's working surprisingly well.

vuorikissa
May 1, 2007

alnilam posted:

I'm trying to find this old (80s? early 90s?) video of some advanced computer research where some guy was sitting in a room, pointing at a screen, and saying voice commands like "place a blue triangle, there. move the yellow diamond above the blue triangle." and the shapes were appearing on screen etc.

I tried as many google search terms as I could think of to no avail! Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

This is from a few pages back; while I don't know anything closely matching what you're talking about, it reminded me of these two famous (though much older) computer programs:

SHRDLU (1968), an early natural language understanding program: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrdlu
SKETCHPAD (1963), the ancestor of CAD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USyoT_Ha_bA

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

tuyop posted:

Man, you should use Evernote and Google Drive. Maintaining a coherent and usable system of tags/folders/whatever is a fool's errand. I sort all my resources by grade and loose subject matter in Evernote and let note and content indexing take care of the rest. All my materials are in Google Drive (even Word files or whatever become searchable this way).

A good example of how useful this can be: I went to a PD session a couple of years ago on critical thinking through cartoon analysis or something. They had a killer graphic organizer for getting students to begin the process of writing source analyses (which is a main component of their grade 12 standardized tests here). Years go by and I've completely forgotten the name of the session, grade this was supposed to be for, and everything else. The only thing I had was a snapshot I took with my phone of the handouts that I had uploaded to Evernote, and a memory that there was a pig on one of the examples labelled "foreign debt". I searched for those words and Evernote popped up that note! I just recreated the organizer to match my needs and off I went.

I hear this system and I think I want this system, but getting from not at all setup to completely setup seems to be the thing.

Do you pay the extra to get OCR in EverNote? How do you tie the EverNote info to a specific thing in the Google Drive?

When I was looking at EverNote pricing, it struck me that I might even want to just put everything into EverNote and pay the $100 (or whatever) annual fee, but they threaten that they will delete accounts being used as a backup service, and I am not sure if what I do with DropBox (mirror a local folder in to the cloud) would count as backup.

Is reason you use GoogleDrive versus say DropBox is because of the search?

Sorry for the questions, but I keep circling around EverNote, but in the end I cannot figure how to make it all 'just work' because there are times I am off-line and still need documents, and while DropBox may not be perfect, it makes the cloud work without a second's thought.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Are there any good general online resources (preferably free) for learning how to write music? I'm talking composition; there's a couple music-making threads in Musician's Lounge, but they all seem more geared toward the more technical "how to program this synth/get this guitar tone/etc" rather than the theory/"how to music good" side of things.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I've seen multiple ways to make popcorn on the microwave the most popular being using a paper bag, too bad there is nowhere to buy paper bags around here, but some instructions mention using glass and plastic containers as well so I bought some plastic container with a small opening in the top. The instructions for said container mention it going into the microwave and everything but when I tried to make popcorn the top melted a bit, specially around the opening and there was a bit of melting in the bottom as well, around some kernels that didn't pop. I'm guessing I'll have to order paper bags from the Internet right? Or maybe I should have dialed down the power level? Or maybe I should just stop trying to do such a thing?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

program666 posted:

I've seen multiple ways to make popcorn on the microwave the most popular being using a paper bag, too bad there is nowhere to buy paper bags around here, but some instructions mention using glass and plastic containers as well so I bought some plastic container with a small opening in the top. The instructions for said container mention it going into the microwave and everything but when I tried to make popcorn the top melted a bit, specially around the opening and there was a bit of melting in the bottom as well, around some kernels that didn't pop. I'm guessing I'll have to order paper bags from the Internet right? Or maybe I should have dialed down the power level? Or maybe I should just stop trying to do such a thing?

If you're into popcorn enough to buy a special device for making it in the microwave, it seems like investing in a popcorn popper would be worthwhile.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

program666 posted:

Why aren't you just buying cheap microwave popcorn that's already in a suitable container?

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Thanatosian posted:

If you're into popcorn enough to buy a special device for making it in the microwave, it seems like investing in a popcorn popper would be worthwhile.

It's not a bad idea, but just having a pile of brown paper bags in the drawer that I could just throw in the trash after using it seems more practical than having an entire new device around the kitchen that I'll probably have to clean after using it

Nintendo Kid posted:

Why aren't you just buying cheap microwave popcorn that's already in a suitable container?

It smells like toxic dump, and I wanted to use no oil in it. Well, maybe they don't use and I just assumed wrong, and maybe it's just the bacon-flavored that smells bad, I'll check it

Thanks, I thought this would be way easier

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

program666 posted:

It smells like toxic dump, and I wanted to use no oil in it. Well, maybe they don't use and I just assumed wrong, and maybe it's just the bacon-flavored that smells bad, I'll check it

Thanks, I thought this would be way easier

There are many different brands of popcorn for a reason, dude. Also, bacon flavored popcorn sounds like a crime against nature.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

There are many different brands of popcorn for a reason, dude. Also, bacon flavored popcorn sounds like a crime against nature.

yeah, that was a mistake

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nintendo Kid posted:

Making your own will be a hell of a lot cheaper and (potentially) better than microwave though.

If you don't want to use oil, just buy an air popper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Mister Kingdom posted:

Better late than never : the government profits when the value of money exceeds the cost of production. This was one of the only options other than taxation for early governments to make money.