Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
Alex Down, easy but pretty fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Vaguido posted:

People are saying Alex is easy, but how easy is it, exactly? Are the turns easier the EX primals, or where are they exactly?

Easier than Ravana for sure

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Vaguido posted:

People are saying Alex is easy, but how easy is it, exactly? Are the turns easier the EX primals, or where are they exactly?

Only done the first turn, but I feel like it was a bit easier than Biz Markie Mark EX. Good fun though, cool mechanic.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

kirbysuperstar posted:

Only done the first turn, but I feel like it was a bit easier than Biz Markie Mark EX. Good fun though, cool mechanic.

Difficulty is probably Ravana > Bismark > 4 > 1 > 3 > 2 tbh

Fluegel
Apr 7, 2007
Well I have fired this up again, the game got even prettier with DX11!

I've got a a quick question: I'm levelling may main class (PLD, lvl 39) and story with a buddy and do some playing on the side with other classes. Are Stoneskin and Mercy Stroke still important cross class skills at level 60? If yes, then I'm gonna do some conjuring in my free time I reckon.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So does this game have a WoW esque lockout system? Like only able to get loot once a week?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Krakatoah posted:

An issue wherein the dark knight action "Dark Arts" would only apply its additional effect to a single target when used in area-of-effect attacks.

And everything's hunky dory again!

Thank god, Abyssal Drain's a lot nicer when you can use it to yank down a few thousand HP with Dark Arts. :v:

Truth
Feb 24, 2005
So day three of trying to make a character on Excalibur at both the 11 pm time and the 4 am time, every time it is locked. I think it's just never going to let me.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Cleared Alexander this morning. Its a really fun dungeon. I'd say the difficulty is a bit higher than WoD level, but its 8-man so slacking is more obvious,.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Man, i was hoping they'd send out the golden feathers for the new RAF rewards with this patch, but i guess it's not happening yet.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Fat_Cow posted:

So does this game have a WoW esque lockout system? Like only able to get loot once a week?

For current raids, yes, usually. In terms of Alexander (the newest raid that came out earlier today) you can get loot from each of four levels a week. You can go in infinite times though, so you just keep going until you get what you want to get. When the second installment of Alexander comes around that restriction will be lifted on this content and put on the newest content. That's how it worked with Coil, anyway.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Alexander is 170 ilvl to queue for it, right?

Ugh, I've done an exdr almost every day since hitting cap and even with several upgraded items I'm still short if that's the case.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Fluegel posted:

Well I have fired this up again, the game got even prettier with DX11!

I've got a a quick question: I'm levelling may main class (PLD, lvl 39) and story with a buddy and do some playing on the side with other classes. Are Stoneskin and Mercy Stroke still important cross class skills at level 60? If yes, then I'm gonna do some conjuring in my free time I reckon.

PLD relies less on cross class skills that some other jobs, but yeah Stoneskin and Mercy Stroke are cool and good.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Minrad posted:

Alexander is 170 ilvl to queue for it, right?

Ugh, I've done an exdr almost every day since hitting cap and even with several upgraded items I'm still short if that's the case.

Yes

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Truth posted:

So day three of trying to make a character on Excalibur at both the 11 pm time and the 4 am time, every time it is locked. I think it's just never going to let me.

If you're set on playing on Excalibur, you might as well just make a new character somewhere else and transfer in three days.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Congrats you whiners, you've gone and turned mch into a generic flattened out dumbed down job because you cried your eyes out instead of learning how to play it
No, the job isn't ruined. In fact our DPS is pretty much the same. What changed, thanks to you cry babies? The damage has been leveled. It has been flattened out with an iron.
We used to excel on spike damage, really high spike damage, then follow with low-mid damage. Now it's all medium damage. The before and after is, quite literally, about the same numbers.
So why am I unhappy? This poo poo isn't as fun anymore. They've redesigned the job so that you whiners who won't bother to learn how to play the thing can do well without trying. We've gone from a "what you press matters" to "all your poo poo does about the same damage so just tap any button". This is, quite literally, a change from actual gameplay towards spoon fed bland bullshit just so you can feel good about yourselves for accomplishing nothing.
If you are happy with this change because you couldn't pull good numbers, know you are bad. Know you didn't know how to play the job. And SE is saying, inbetween lines, but as close to your face as they can, you're loving dumb so here's a free win. A participation trophy. We don't even expect you to learn your loving job, just mindlessly tap any button and be patted on the back for it.
RIP 2-3k damage Ricochet, we loved you. You were the most fun I've had, and you will be sorely missed.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

here is the optimal loot strat for Alexander if you want a full set by week 5, courtesy of Dudude Dude.

Minera fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 7, 2015

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

What do you guys have against bards doing dmg on par with drgs and mnks and blms and smns for that, first you give us a broken ability wanderers minuet which takes away our ability to run and shoot and bring constant dps you even made minuet in this patch a 15s recast time which still doesnt allow us to stance dance like whms and schs can do with cleric stance, and you give us 2 really good abilities Empyreal arrow and sidewinder, one being locked behind minuet, then you nerf one of our best abilities without even lowering the recast time of the ability, 100 less potency with full bites lowing from 350 to 250(sidewinder). What kind of ignorant, idiotic, person do you have in charge of the bards programming. You took a good job, and you broke it beyond all repair. For this, Once i get my drg to 60, im hanging up my bow on my main job because you guys cant fix and raise the dps on a job that i love so dearly.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Do the Alexander bosses give any law at all or are they going to give the new currency when it's introduced?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Freaksaus posted:

Do the Alexander bosses give any law at all or are they going to give the new currency when it's introduced?

20 per run, 40 more for newbie bonus

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Minrad posted:

here is the optimal loot strat for Alexander if you want a full set by week 5, courtesy of Dudude Dude.

If you have a static can you farm each boss till everyone has what they need off of it?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

That was a lot of fun! I passed on all the loot because I hadnt planned out how to start snagging it yet but I grabbed a shaft since I know I'll need to get four of them anyway.

So no weapons, huh? I guess those are Savage Only?

Also between Liquid Fire and Cray Claw there are a LOT of FFV callbacks lmao. Makes me wonder if Mide is supposed to be analogous to Mid, Cid's grandson

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Holyshoot posted:

If you have a static can you farm each boss till everyone has what they need off of it?

There is no entry lockout so, depending on your static's patience level, yes.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

ALSO Y'ALL, THE MUSIC IS loving RAD AS HELL

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

loving hell, Dravanian Forelands and Churning Mists are still instanced.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Part of me is a little sad that Alex's theme is a remix of Ragnarok (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDeAxd5_RVk) but the new music is super cool and sounds really roboty.

I beat Steps of Faith so I'm almost at Heavensward now. Yay! Now I just need to spend 3 hours watching cutscenes from Final Fantasy XIV: the Movie.

Steps of Faith is pretty insane. Here's my trip report:
"Holy poo poo that's a big goddamn dragon"
"Oh my God there's so many dragons on the screen holy poo poo"
"Aw jeez I can't tell what's going on, where is everyone, my screen is covered in dragons, what in the gently caress, I guess I'll just poke them with my pointy stick"
"The big guy can step on you? Holy crap"
"Oh god oh gently caress oh Jesus"
"Yay we won!"

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
To be fair, FFXIV2.55: The Movie has some of the best cutscenes. Especially when the face animation tech starts getting used. :unsmigghh:

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Spent way too long on the last Alexander fight due to over thinking one mechanic with the judgement debuffs, turns out just ignoring it is the solution :shrug:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Minrad posted:

Congrats you whiners, you've gone and turned mch into a generic flattened out dumbed down job because you cried your eyes out instead of learning how to play it
No, the job isn't ruined. In fact our DPS is pretty much the same. What changed, thanks to you cry babies? The damage has been leveled. It has been flattened out with an iron.
We used to excel on spike damage, really high spike damage, then follow with low-mid damage. Now it's all medium damage. The before and after is, quite literally, about the same numbers.
So why am I unhappy? This poo poo isn't as fun anymore. They've redesigned the job so that you whiners who won't bother to learn how to play the thing can do well without trying. We've gone from a "what you press matters" to "all your poo poo does about the same damage so just tap any button". This is, quite literally, a change from actual gameplay towards spoon fed bland bullshit just so you can feel good about yourselves for accomplishing nothing.
If you are happy with this change because you couldn't pull good numbers, know you are bad. Know you didn't know how to play the job. And SE is saying, inbetween lines, but as close to your face as they can, you're loving dumb so here's a free win. A participation trophy. We don't even expect you to learn your loving job, just mindlessly tap any button and be patted on the back for it.
RIP 2-3k damage Ricochet, we loved you. You were the most fun I've had, and you will be sorely missed.

kirbysuperstar posted:

What do you guys have against bards doing dmg on par with drgs and mnks and blms and smns for that, first you give us a broken ability wanderers minuet which takes away our ability to run and shoot and bring constant dps you even made minuet in this patch a 15s recast time which still doesnt allow us to stance dance like whms and schs can do with cleric stance, and you give us 2 really good abilities Empyreal arrow and sidewinder, one being locked behind minuet, then you nerf one of our best abilities without even lowering the recast time of the ability, 100 less potency with full bites lowing from 350 to 250(sidewinder). What kind of ignorant, idiotic, person do you have in charge of the bards programming. You took a good job, and you broke it beyond all repair. For this, Once i get my drg to 60, im hanging up my bow on my main job because you guys cant fix and raise the dps on a job that i love so dearly.

OF on-point as always! :allears:

Evader
May 20, 2008

One morning, when I woke up, there was a lizard in my room.
Character created on Excalibur! Just had to set my alarm for 6AM EST this morning and hop on; it was 30 minutes after maintenance had ended.

Now to begin my headsplitting journey! Here's hoping that by the time I reach Heavensward Dark Knight will no longer suck!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'm pumped as gently caress that Alexander story is easy. I never really did any of the coils. (I did Turns 1-4 around patch 2.4, but never even went to turn 5 or beyond). After raiding in WoW for years, I have no desire for joining a dedicated raid group ever again so this pleases me greatly.

I wonder how loot will work with Alexander-savage.

Since story mode gives ilvl 190 gear, I wonder if savage mode will give ilvl 210 gear. That way the 24 man raid can give ilvl 200 gear.

Then the next part of Alexander story can give 210 and savage can give 230.

If we had 5 patches like 2.0, it would go like this:

3.0: Alex 190/210
3.1: 24man 200
3.2: Alex 210/230
3.3: 24man 220
3.4: Alex 230/250
3.5: 24man 240

Would make sense to me.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 7, 2015

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Evader posted:

Here's hoping that by the time I reach Heavensward Dark Knight will no longer suck!

:confused:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

I too search for the Heaven Sword. Will it ever be found...?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Minrad posted:

I too search for the Heaven Sword. Will it ever be found...?

Sward. It's a patch of grass that's really well maintained.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Dark Knight is awesome and does not suck. :confused:

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
Man I'm bummed as heck about the tuning here. I'm not sure I'll enjoy harder coil tuning in savage but freaking Ravana ex was theoretically harder than normal mode?

Ah well.

Guess I'll git gud

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Calm down nerd

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Bard's gonna own now, minuet is basically exactly what i wanted it to be. Once you understand a boss fight you'll know when you can plonk your rear end down and shred things with no downtime. Cant wait to get home from work!

Being able to do coil even with slower/less endgame-minded members of my little fc on hyperion is gonna own too, it seems very inclusive of players with less time to raid and i love SE for that.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

if Alexander is ilevel 170 to get in, how do I get up to that?

I just hit 60 last night and I'm ilevel 143. Do I farm ARF, Neverreap, and Fractal for higher level stuff?

Or is there somewhere else to get stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rei_
May 16, 2004

law tome gear, buy it from the vendors in Idyllshire up the stairs next to Rowena

• Locked thread