Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Steve2911 posted:

Back to the comic chat, I'm amazed that no one's tried to adapt the events of The Killing Joke into a movie yet. I suppose both the Joker movies were pre-Batgirl and it would have made no sense, but I can totally see some hack fraud like Zack Snyder trying it in a few years time. I'd like to see it done well, anyway.

Also, I do like how Batman's flashbacks of The Killing Joke and Death in the Family in this game differ quite a bit from how they are in the comics. The way Joker shoots Todd mid-sentence is loving great.

I thought the latter retcon was a big improvement over the original comic material, both Superboy Prime punching the universe and Lazarus Pit were stupid, the AK origin is cooler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

bonds0097 posted:

I thought the latter retcon was a big improvement over the original comic material, both Superboy Prime punching the universe and Lazarus Pit were stupid, the AK origin is cooler.

It gets a bit weird - theoretically, nothing that Joker was showing Batman should actually be real, because Joker doesn't exist - it should all be created by Batman's mind. However, there are elements of the flashbacks that Batman literally cannot have known or even guessed, such as the branding of Jason. Either Joker's blood managed to put the Joker's entire brain into Batman or something supernatural is going on.

Or, of course, comic book logic.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

theflyingorc posted:

It gets a bit weird - theoretically, nothing that Joker was showing Batman should actually be real, because Joker doesn't exist - it should all be created by Batman's mind. However, there are elements of the flashbacks that Batman literally cannot have known or even guessed, such as the branding of Jason. Either Joker's blood managed to put the Joker's entire brain into Batman or something supernatural is going on.

You can see that while Joker didn't record the moment he branded Jason, he did record some stuff later that would clearly show the scar. Batman just filled in the blanks.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

theflyingorc posted:

Batman mentions to Jason that Joker sent him a tape, which I assume is what we're viewing during those memory replays in the movie studio, with Batman filling in gaps as needed.

bonds0097 fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jul 7, 2015

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Considering the whole flashback is a reference to Return of the Joker, it would not surprise me if Joker edited multiple videos of Jason's torture into one happy montage for Batman.

Maybe he had slides.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm disappointed that Joker's "Me, in a thong???" line from Asylum didn't turn out to actually be Batman's worst fear in this game, because boy is it sure mine.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Calaveron posted:

You can see that while Joker didn't record the moment he branded Jason, he did record some stuff later that would clearly show the scar. Batman just filled in the blanks.

Huh, I didn't think of that.

Oh well, it's still fun to remember that all the bad jokes are being created by Batman's mind.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, if you take the view that it's merely what Batman suspects/fears then I think it becomes a much more interesting subplot, especially given the cracks made about Catwoman, Jim, etc. The thought of Bruce suppressing some pretty vile sexual thoughts and really dark opinions on people he's meant to be allied to makes him a hell of a lot more appealing as a protagonist to me. It's something he's actively struggling and fighting against rather than just flippantly brushing off.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So, I found a poster of the boxing match cancelled feature JokerBoxer dude. He was supposed to fight Ted Grant. So, that's where he went after Brick kicked his poo poo in.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Does anyone happen to have a Knightfall save ready to go but not started by any chance?

Because gently caress spending hours on collectable trophies.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, I found a poster of the boxing match cancelled feature JokerBoxer dude. He was supposed to fight Ted Grant. So, that's where he went after Brick kicked his poo poo in.

My favorite reference in the game is Kord industries. Hooray for Blue Beetle!

Also the fact that part of Gotham is named Otisburg. Apparently that was established in DC Universe Online or something, but taking a joke from the original Superman movie and making it canon is pretty cool.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Some mooks were talking about unionizing since Riddler laid off his workforce and replaced them with robots :allears:

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

theflyingorc posted:

Joker has the wrong goddamn hat and I'll never forgive them for it

I immediately forgave them since it says "FLASH BACK" on it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Some concept art for a superman game?

Superman:

This says Superman Suit: Pre-Opening Battle

Brainiac render:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

well poo poo, maybe their is a superman game.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Or someone drew some pictures.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The mother of all moose knuckles

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Poor zombies never stood a chance.
I could be wrong, but I think if a Superman game could work at all, it'd be as an objective-based game where you have to do various heroic tasks in Metropolis in a certain time period. Any cases where combat did exist would be in areas where there's kryptonite, and that portion would resemble Dynasty Warriors somewhat, with one powerful PC fighting a group of enemies he could easily take out and would only serve to whittle or slow him down. All in all, I think a Superman game could work as a game that's less focused on combat (but still has it in cases where it wouldn't be unloseable) and more focused on perils to save Metropolis or specific citizens/buildings from, with each level having a short, related series of perils.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I enjoy the big dumb belt buckle without any belt.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Superman: Arkham Phantom Zone City

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Also, uh, nice super-girdle.

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES

Steve2911 posted:

Also, I do like how Batman's flashbacks of The Killing Joke and Death in the Family in this game differ quite a bit from how they are in the comics. The way Joker shoots Todd mid-sentence is loving great.

If you maneuver the camera around when Joker shoots Jason, you can see that the bullet actually misses him completely and hits the chair.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Make a Superman game in the No Man's Sky engine. Just an open universe game where he can run across random poo poo and punch it.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Man, there's so much good poo poo in this game tainted by so much poorly thought out rubbish. I've played every Arkham game on Hard mode and enjoyed it a lot (while refusing to upgrade armor on the suit or car because I'm Batman, I don't get hit/shot) but gently caress that tank battle outside GCPD during the finale. I die in 30 seconds then have to sit through a cutscene with a minigun blasting away. The first and only time I set one of these games to easy. What the hell were Rocksteady thinking putting so much of this shite in?

Most uplifting part of the game was watching that loving Batmobile get crushed, and that's probably not the emotion they were going for.

But I did dig the insanely tough fights in and around GCPD.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Narcissus1916 posted:

Just did the Panessa Studios section. Jesus.

That said, I'm kinda miffed at how prevalent the texture pop can be (I'm on PS4). The framerate holds up incredibly well, but if you get some speed with the batmobile and move between the islands the texture loading can get all sorts of messed up. Got into a tank battle where most of chinatown took 10-20 seconds for the buildings to "pop" into view.

I expected a bit of texture pop here and there when diving from distances and stuff, but Founder's Island has been home to some super noticeable loading while gliding around.

Also, I didn't plan it this way but its hilarious that Batman locks Tim Drake in a cell and then immediately joins Nightwing for some crimefighting. What a dick.

You know, Batman sure really didn't cared to save the boxer and old man from being murdered and then committing suicide. In City and Origins he would at this point summon the Remote Batrang and use the Reverse version that seems to never get used again to take them out, but in the game he just stood there and watch and didn't seem to give a poo poo.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

Calaveron posted:

Haha Batman, you beat all of my batmobile challenges and freed Catwoman! I will now bust out of a door like the Kool-Aid man with my giant loving robot in a tremendous show of force of what will surely be a pretty cool tag-team boss fight! Oh wait, never mind, come back later.

Does anyone have a video of this? I got it in my game and wanted to show my friends but all the videos I found were if they already had all the riddles.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Batman knows where Riddler's hiding. After the story's over he should probably just send thousands of GCPD offers there and save himself some effort. I'm sure they could crack through that floor pretty easily.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Steve2911 posted:

Batman knows where Riddler's hiding. After the story's over he should probably just send thousands of GCPD offers there and save himself some effort. I'm sure they could crack through that floor pretty easily.
That was basically the Riddler ending of Asylum, though.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

deepshock posted:

I could be wrong, but I think if a Superman game could work at all, it'd be as an objective-based game where you have to do various heroic tasks in Metropolis in a certain time period. Any cases where combat did exist would be in areas where there's kryptonite, and that portion would resemble Dynasty Warriors somewhat, with one powerful PC fighting a group of enemies he could easily take out and would only serve to whittle or slow him down. All in all, I think a Superman game could work as a game that's less focused on combat (but still has it in cases where it wouldn't be unloseable) and more focused on perils to save Metropolis or specific citizens/buildings from, with each level having a short, related series of perils.

Now figure out how to make the flying give a sense of Superman-like speed while not being a nightmare to navigate.

It's not necessarily impossible, but flight is a huge problem.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

theflyingorc posted:

Now figure out how to make the flying give a sense of Superman-like speed while not being a nightmare to navigate.

Superman doesn't always fly at high speed,high speed for fast travel.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Man, a Flash game by rocksteady would probably be really sick.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

theflyingorc posted:

Yeah, either you have a very nerfed Superman or everything is constantly in bullet-time

edit: ^ same with Flash

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Superman doesn't kill! *turns on super x-ray vision to see the body you punched into the skybox is in fact just 'unconscious'*

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Kurtofan posted:

Superman doesn't always fly at high speed,high speed for fast travel.

He does whenever anyone's in danger, though. You can't have a person being threatened on top of a building and NOT have Superman zip up there almost immediately. It's a big part of "being Superman" that's hard to capture. He should basically always be in bullet time. :)

edit: And to compound, being in bullet time wouldn't feel that great, especially in 3D flight. You could lean on something like the Fear system from Arkham Knight, but it's still going to be a really, really difficult design. I'm having a really hard time just seeing Superman move around the world. Does he just walk? Awkwardly fly?

Again, I'm not saying it's impossible, it's just an incredible amount of design and tech work, and you need to be able to try things that spectacularly fail. You'd have to have Rocksteady's kind of budget to even begin to attempt it.

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 7, 2015

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

theflyingorc posted:

He does whenever anyone's in danger, though. You can't have a person being threatened on top of a building and NOT have Superman zip up there almost immediately. It's a big part of "being Superman" that's hard to capture. He should basically always be in bullet time. :)

edit: And to compound, being in bullet time wouldn't feel that great, especially in 3D flight. You could lean on something like the Fear system from Arkham Knight, but it's still going to be a really, really difficult design. I'm having a really hard time just seeing Superman move around the world. Does he just walk? Awkwardly fly?

Again, I'm not saying it's impossible, it's just an incredible amount of design and tech work, and you need to be able to try things that spectacularly fail. You'd have to have Rocksteady's kind of budget to even begin to attempt it.

You could have a cruising speed which is fast but not too fast like in something like SR4 and then a super-speed version of flight that is essentially a teleport like in Dishonored, time slows down for a moment you target a spot and then Superman zooms there at super speed.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Well, the flying parts of Superman Returns actually felt really drat satisfying. I would seriously boot up the game and spend like, half an hour just flying around high enough that I wouldn't run into random encounters or make waves in the ocean. Honestly, if they just took that game and fixed it up some it would be just fine.

Besides, Superman always nerfs himself to some degree out of fear of killing everything if he goes all out, like he explains in his famous World of Cardboard speech.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 7, 2015

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Man, there's so much good poo poo in this game tainted by so much poorly thought out rubbish. I've played every Arkham game on Hard mode and enjoyed it a lot (while refusing to upgrade armor on the suit or car because I'm Batman, I don't get hit/shot) but gently caress that tank battle outside GCPD during the finale. I die in 30 seconds then have to sit through a cutscene with a minigun blasting away. The first and only time I set one of these games to easy. What the hell were Rocksteady thinking putting so much of this shite in?

Most uplifting part of the game was watching that loving Batmobile get crushed, and that's probably not the emotion they were going for.

But I did dig the insanely tough fights in and around GCPD.

I think it's ironic that you're complaining about difficulty in one breath and praising it in the next.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Having one last checkpoint to find on Miagani Island is a bitch. I can't detective mode it because there's a lot of rioters standing around in places.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Suicide Squad seems like the best choice for a game after this. DC has a videogame problem that marvel doesn't really share where the characters the mainstream really knows are pretty much Batman, Batfamily, or ridiculously powered gods who probably don't make for the best games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

theflyingorc posted:

That's a pretty inexcusable oversight, actually. Somebody's job should have been to go over the story in NG+ and make sure you can't sequence break with extra gadgets.

I actually ran into this- when I tried to disruptor it on my NG+ Batman said "I can't do this right now," and I was like, why the gently caress not? Guess there are some situations they didn't account for though.

• Locked thread