Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

What do you guys have against bards doing dmg on par with drgs and mnks and blms and smns for that, first you give us a broken ability wanderers minuet which takes away our ability to run and shoot and bring constant dps you even made minuet in this patch a 15s recast time which still doesnt allow us to stance dance like whms and schs can do with cleric stance, and you give us 2 really good abilities Empyreal arrow and sidewinder, one being locked behind minuet, then you nerf one of our best abilities without even lowering the recast time of the ability, 100 less potency with full bites lowing from 350 to 250(sidewinder). What kind of ignorant, idiotic, person do you have in charge of the bards programming. You took a good job, and you broke it beyond all repair. For this, Once i get my drg to 60, im hanging up my bow on my main job because you guys cant fix and raise the dps on a job that i love so dearly.

lmao

Minrad posted:

Congrats you whiners, you've gone and turned mch into a generic flattened out dumbed down job because you cried your eyes out instead of learning how to play it
No, the job isn't ruined. In fact our DPS is pretty much the same. What changed, thanks to you cry babies? The damage has been leveled. It has been flattened out with an iron.
We used to excel on spike damage, really high spike damage, then follow with low-mid damage. Now it's all medium damage. The before and after is, quite literally, about the same numbers.
So why am I unhappy? This poo poo isn't as fun anymore. They've redesigned the job so that you whiners who won't bother to learn how to play the thing can do well without trying. We've gone from a "what you press matters" to "all your poo poo does about the same damage so just tap any button". This is, quite literally, a change from actual gameplay towards spoon fed bland bullshit just so you can feel good about yourselves for accomplishing nothing.
If you are happy with this change because you couldn't pull good numbers, know you are bad. Know you didn't know how to play the job. And SE is saying, inbetween lines, but as close to your face as they can, you're loving dumb so here's a free win. A participation trophy. We don't even expect you to learn your loving job, just mindlessly tap any button and be patted on the back for it.
RIP 2-3k damage Ricochet, we loved you. You were the most fun I've had, and you will be sorely missed.

Goddamn dude calm down this change is basically a flat 10% buff to mch (actually it comes out to like 8.3333% somehow but whatever)

Thumbtacks fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
So how do Alex drops work in practice? I get the bit about the tokens, but how many and how consistently do they drop? I'm trying to figure out what a pain it would be to pug this thing since I don't have a static and every other Goon is already playing a tank.

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

Alexander story being not ball-crushingly difficult sounds wonderful, I'm at the point in my life where I have no desire to schedule video game raid time into my week and instead would rather just hop into it with some like minded, not (completely) brain dead individuals and hopefully kill some poo poo.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Rei_ posted:

Calm down nerd

I'm Gucci

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Malloreon posted:

I just hit 60 last night and I'm ilevel 143. Do I farm ARF, Neverreap, and Fractal for higher level stuff?

Well, about that...

You're going to need i145 to enter your next dungeon, so you'll need to get at least one piece upgraded to law gear first. You can get law tomes by running trial roulette, HLDR, or LLDR at 60; doing A/S rank hunts; or a couple other oddball things like maps.

Personally, I upgraded my bracelet since it was cheap, and I was still using a tome bracelet from level 50.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Newbie question: What can I get with the Player Commendations, and where do I spend them?

Same for the poetic tokens.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I'm... really enjoying AST.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Malloreon posted:

if Alexander is ilevel 170 to get in, how do I get up to that?

I just hit 60 last night and I'm ilevel 143. Do I farm ARF, Neverreap, and Fractal for higher level stuff?

Or is there somewhere else to get stuff.

Check out the allagan node vendors in AL, they have what you need to keep you going!

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

SirPhoebos posted:

Newbie question: What can I get with the Player Commendations, and where do I spend them?

Player commendations are essentially E-cred. Though, there are a few achievements for getting a certain number of comms (100, 200, 500, 1000, 1500, I think?) that will get you a neat piece of glamour gear or a mount or a minion.

Poetics are a type of currency, and you can exchange them in Mor Dhona (the westernmost southern exit out of Coerthas Central Highlands) for gear but they're basically moot with the heavensward gear once you're up to level 51 or 52.

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 7, 2015

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I'm... really enjoying AST.

Of course you are. Because it's the best class. :colbert:

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

So how do the loot drops / token drops / lockout work? Is everything a token?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

SirPhoebos posted:

You don't spend player tokens, iirc, its just that at certain levels you get cosmetic rewards and titles.

Poetics tokens are spent in Mor Dhona, a level 50 area, for ilvl 120 gear that was formerly endgame level and is now usable to about 53 or so.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Meldonox posted:

So how do Alex drops work in practice? I get the bit about the tokens, but how many and how consistently do they drop? I'm trying to figure out what a pain it would be to pug this thing since I don't have a static and every other Goon is already playing a tank.

2 tokens drop per floor. You apparently get a free accessory token for clearing Alex, too.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Mordiceius posted:

Of course you are. Because it's the best class. :colbert:

Conditional because there isn't a trap card. Yet :ninja:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SirPhoebos posted:

http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Category:Commendation_Achievement

Poetics are for Ironworks stuff in Mor Dhona. You won't be using them long as you rocket your way to 60. I don't know how it is now, but you could buy HQ crafted items from the Market Board with a higher ilvl for around 150K-200K gil for every slot a couple weeks ago.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Saigyouji posted:

2 tokens drop per floor. You apparently get a free accessory token for clearing Alex, too.

Is it a generic token, or for a specific piece? Open rolling?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

What tokens drop from what floors in Alexander?

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Thumbtacks posted:

lmao

Goddamn dude calm down this change is basically a flat 10% buff to mch (actually it comes out to like 8.3333% somehow but whatever)

Obvious fakepost apparently not so obvious to Lt. mittens?

Sad there aren't weapons in Alex yet but it makes sense, honestly. Back to Ravana!

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

nuru posted:

Tokens are tied to specific slots (all rightside gear uses the same token) and rolled on, yes.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

nuru posted:

It looks like there's one token per left hand slot and one token that covers all accessories. Each floor has three tokens it can potentially drop. The number of tokens you need for a piece of gear depends on the piece (legs and body are 4, head hands feet 2, and belt/accs 1 if I understand correctly).

This means they've eliminated a lot of the "a thing dropped that nobody here wants now or ever", and the likelihood that you'll see the thing you want when the boss dies is greater. On the other hand, you now have to win up to 4 lots in order to get the actual item you're after. I want to be optimistic about this but I'm left with this feeling of "hey, remember trying to get sands of time in ST?".

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

So how hard is Alex?

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

fadam posted:

So how hard is Alex?

As always, depends on how braindead your party is. i do not suggest pugging it for a bit.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Klades posted:

On the other hand, you now have to win up to 4 lots in order to get the actual item you're after. I want to be optimistic about this but I'm left with this feeling of "hey, remember trying to get sands of time in ST?".

Could always just set up a farm party with the lootmaster system in place.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Why do people have alt characters in savage mode statics?

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
This needs to be posted every page:

Minrad posted:

here is the optimal loot strat for Alexander if you want a full set by week 5, courtesy of Dudude Dude.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
That's, uh, looking like a lot of Alex 4 runs

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Ignimbrite posted:

That's, uh, looking like a lot of Alex 4 runs

try not to get shafted on your rolls

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
At least it's easy, right? :v:

Evader
May 20, 2008

One morning, when I woke up, there was a lizard in my room.
Eh, so much of what I've read was making GBS threads on the new classes. I decided to ignore it all and build with Dark Knight in mind from the word go, so I am actually cheered up by those responses!

In the mean time I will apparently be a warrior, which is fine with me. I spent too much of my WOW career as DPS, and but for a very occasional Warlock off-tank instance or two, I feel like being something less mindless for PvE.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Evader posted:

Eh, so much of what I've read was making GBS threads on the new classes. I decided to ignore it all and build with Dark Knight in mind from the word go, so I am actually cheered up by those responses!

You should probably ignore literally everything you read about any class that you haven't personally verified yourself because holy poo poo people are hyperbolic about stuff lately

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Evader posted:

In the mean time I will apparently be a warrior, which is fine with me. I spent too much of my WOW career as DPS, and but for a very occasional Warlock off-tank instance or two, I feel like being something less mindless for PvE.

WAR is actually a great starting point for Dark Knight IMO. Their combos are pretty similar, but Dark Knight is much more active in its button pressing. And obviously you have to learn to manage the mana, but for me that all boils down to "Only use Dark Arts Soul Eater or spam Unleash when you're above 25% mana or when Blood Price is up". Make sure you get a Dark Art's threat combo in to start a boss, then your DPS should carry your threat the rest of the way.

Also, with all the defensive cooldowns you get, base class or cross classed, you can pretty much have a defensive rotation too, which can make life a lot easier on your healers for standard content.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Jeez is 4 am PDT really the best time to get on Excalibur?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Evader posted:

Character created on Excalibur! Just had to set my alarm for 6AM EST this morning and hop on; it was 30 minutes after maintenance had ended.

Now to begin my headsplitting journey! Here's hoping that by the time I reach Heavensward Dark Knight will no longer suck!

Welcome, person with a very good avatar.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Jeez is 4 am PDT really the best time to get on Excalibur?

It's always been this way right after content patches.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Evader posted:

Yeah, when it comes to classes, just play what you think looks cool. No class is objectively bad. This isn't WoW where it cycles through the talent builds of the month that are good and which ones are bad. "Fire mages are good this month. Arcane mages suck and no one should play them." "Feral druids are where its at. No one should play moonkin because they suck."

Since each class only has one way they can be played, they're not trying to balance 3 builds per class. Pick what you like, and go with it. Ignore everything everyone says.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

UglyDucklett posted:

Bard's gonna own now, minuet is basically exactly what i wanted it to be. Once you understand a boss fight you'll know when you can plonk your rear end down and shred things with no downtime. Cant wait to get home from work!

Being able to do coil even with slower/less endgame-minded members of my little fc on hyperion is gonna own too, it seems very inclusive of players with less time to raid and i love SE for that.

I'm interested in feedback from people who hated old wm/gb and have tried the new one. Obviously you turn it off whenever you're moving, but it sounds like it addresses the other complaint where ogcd weaving was a pain in the rear end. Theoretically, now you just turn it off, rev up all your ogcd buffs, then immediately flick gb/wm back on and go stationary for max dips.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Vahalla posted:

Obvious fakepost apparently not so obvious to Lt. mittens?

if you shitpost too long then it's not shitposting anymore... :stonk:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
it's bullshit how good the starting female au ra outfit looks

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
you spelled 'valerian dragoon' really loving wrong man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005