Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
The Tarraque's Reflective Carapace probably works on mind thrust, and a level 1 Mystic only has 4 psi points per day, so they're probably not going to punch that far above their weight.

That said, Lethal Strike makes the Mystic have the best single target burst damage at every level from 1-5. 2d10 extra damage twice per day is no joke. Giving them Extra Attack would make their ability to dump daily resources in a hurry top tier. Facing a monster with any class levels in this would be a nightmare of oneshots.

I'm curious how their Ethereal Weapon move is meant to interact with bonus damage from GWM or Sneak Attack or Divine Smite. Or Lethal Strike, even. They all key off of "when you hit," not saving. Guess it'd still be nice to hose dudes with AC buffs or DA debuffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I mentally sigh every time I read "You refresh this ability after finishing a long rest"

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

slydingdoor posted:

The Tarraque's Reflective Carapace probably works on mind thrust,

No, it doesn't.

Reflective carapace only works on spells and psi abilities are explicitly unaffected by anything that refers to spells (unless the psi ability itself actually casts a spell). Reflective carapace can't do poo poo against psi. Yeah that's right, a magic ray will bounce off but a psychic ray would drill straight through. And this is exactly why "psi isn't magic" is a terrible idea if you didn't incorporate that right into the core rules.

Besides, it's a mind thrust. How's a shiny exoskeleton going to reflect telepathy away?

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Really Pants posted:

5e is not going to meet any of your first impressions, especially if you think martials have more options or the monk looks good.

Before you look deeply at the spell lists the monk does actually look decent. Even with the overpriced ki cost on a lot of things, the monk only starts looking poor when you compare them to the power of full casters.

But then again, Druids do come sooner in the phb and they are one of the best melee classes in the game even without looking at the spells they have available. When a class can hit level 2 and have 80+ HP and multi-attack it kinda pisses all over the rest of the melee classes in the game.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Sage Genesis posted:

Besides, it's a mind thrust. How's a shiny exoskeleton going to reflect telepathy away?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, it's a one level dip to gain magical fists.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

goatface posted:

Unarmed strike is Not A Weapon™ according to official errata.

EDIT: Oh, nevermind, it specifically works anyway. That is some super inconsistent wording. "It works on a weapon you wield, including unarmed strike, despite our statement that unarmed strike isn't a weapon."

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jul 7, 2015

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sage Genesis posted:

No, it doesn't.

Reflective carapace only works on spells and psi abilities are explicitly unaffected by anything that refers to spells (unless the psi ability itself actually casts a spell). Reflective carapace can't do poo poo against psi. Yeah that's right, a magic ray will bounce off but a psychic ray would drill straight through. And this is exactly why "psi isn't magic" is a terrible idea if you didn't incorporate that right into the core rules.

Fun fact: in 3e a spell that deals bludgeoning damage doesn't care about DR. A psionic power DOES.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009

goatface posted:

Monks already get that @ 6. So that wouldn't be a main selling point for me as a splash/dip. Unless your DM is throwing a lot non-magic s/p/b resist creatures at you at that level.

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

Fun fact: in 3e a spell that deals bludgeoning damage doesn't care about DR. A psionic power DOES.

This is new to me; I thought the fact it used the word "bludgeoning" for its damage was enough to make it go through. Is it because of
this section right here?

D20SRD posted:

A creature with this special quality ignores damage from most weapons and natural attacks. Wounds heal immediately, or the weapon bounces off harmlessly (in either case, the opponent knows the attack was ineffective). The creature takes normal damage from energy attacks (even nonmagical ones), spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities. A certain kind of weapon can sometimes damage the creature normally, as noted below.

It looks like Pathfinder carried it over too, which was awfully kind of them!

PFSRD posted:

Spells, spell-like abilities, and energy attacks (even non-magical fire) ignore damage reduction.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

mastershakeman posted:

How does 5e remind you of 2e? The difference in martials, movement, restricted class/race combos, level limits, xp differences per class, etc make for wildly different games. I suppose if you house ruled every last bit of that away they'd be similar?

The math curve, not designing around a grid, tons of optional rules, dialed back skills, the backseat role of magic items, backgrounds as kits. Obviously the game doesn't pull mechanics straight from 2nd edition! That's why I said it reminded me of 2E.

alg fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 7, 2015

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Moinkmaster posted:

This is new to me; I thought the fact it used the word "bludgeoning" for its damage was enough to make it go through. Is it because of
this section right here?

It looks like Pathfinder carried it over too, which was awfully kind of them!

Yep. There's something in Complete Psionics or something that clarifies 'yes, powers do have dr'. Just to make spells better, naturally.

One of the other rules that nobody followed is that natural energy resistance protects against some number of points of energy damage 'each round'. Probably because the resist energy spell provides protection 'each time the creature is subjected to such damage ', and that's the more intuitive way of applying it. As written, though, a wizard's resist energy is far more useful than a dragon's.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

fool_of_sound posted:

Depends. They have more options than 3.x, but fewer than 4e.

5e does not have the Tome of Battle, at least yet, and for however haphazardly Mearls is going to adapt the "Martial Adept", so I would argue that 5e is more limited than 3.5e

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

5e does not have the Tome of Battle, at least yet, and for however haphazardly Mearls is going to adapt the "Martial Adept", so I would argue that 5e is more limited than 3.5e

I completely forgot about the Tome of Battle, so yeah, fair point.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Not to distract from the Psionic talk, but I've got a novel situation and I'm not sure if I'm missing some rules that would have been applicable in previous versions.

I'm new to DMing, and two of the players in my campaign have Mage Hand, and they recently came across a Bag of Holding. They proposed hiding inside the bag (reducing their weight to just the 15lbs the bag weighs), and use two Mage Hands combined (each having a 10lbs carry limit) to lift the bag, and fly it around the world.

They proposed it jokingly, but now I'm curious about the logistics of it. Are the weights that two Mage Hand can carry additive? Are there any restrictions for getting out a Bag of Holding, like some form of escape check? Would you even be able to control the Mage Hand from inside the bag since you couldn't see the outside of it? Since the Player's Handbook says you can only move the hand 30 feet, does that mean you couldn't keep it going indefinitely with continuous actions? The books don't seem to have anything that would apply to this, but was there something in previous versions that I could reference?

Having them scoot around the world at a third of a mile per hour would be impractical though damned hilarious, but I'm worried they could abuse it as a "Get out of Perilous Situation Free" card.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Duct Tape posted:

I'm worried they could abuse it as a "Get out of Perilous Situation Free" card.

Then don't allow it. No line of sight is the obvious answer, or lack of air in the bag, or too little volume. You could also go with planar interference, since the bag is pocket dimension. I would rule that mage hand is additive though, since that's funny. That said, I would probably let them use the bag like that once or twice, since it's clever, so long as they didn't start to abuse it.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

alg posted:

not designing around a grid
5e was designed around a grid. They then added the words "grids are optional" to the PHB.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Duct Tape posted:

Having them scoot around the world at a third of a mile per hour would be impractical though damned hilarious, but I'm worried they could abuse it as a "Get out of Perilous Situation Free" card.

It seems like the type of solution where an enemy could grab the bag, squeeze the top shut, and you'd have a rare specimen - a non-railroaded excuse for a prison break.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

KyloWinter posted:

I'm looking to play this game at some point. How is it in comparison to 3e and 4e? It looks currently more 3e but it took some good things from 4e like rituals and more options for martial classes. Also magic weapons are back to being unique and special while feat-bloat is down and prestige classes don't exist. It looks like a really solid dnd experience from first reading. Also hot drat the monk looks buff.
it's moderately streamlined 3.5e with much of the same problems and none of the interesting martial options WotC eventually managed to put out at the tail end of 3.5e.

I've heard that monk is decent by virtue of almost being a spellcaster, though.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I do find it funny that they're just making GBS threads on Eberron from a distance at this point.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

ProfessorCirno posted:

I do find it funny that they're just making GBS threads on Eberron from a distance at this point.

Was there something in the psionics preview that I missed?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Duct Tape posted:

They proposed it jokingly, but now I'm curious about the logistics of it. Are the weights that two Mage Hand can carry additive? Are there any restrictions for getting out a Bag of Holding, like some form of escape check? Would you even be able to control the Mage Hand from inside the bag since you couldn't see the outside of it? Since the Player's Handbook says you can only move the hand 30 feet, does that mean you couldn't keep it going indefinitely with continuous actions? The books don't seem to have anything that would apply to this, but was there something in previous versions that I could reference?

Personally, I say let them go for it. Hell, let them even get out of one or two sticky situations with it if they try it at the right time. But you said it yourself: that bag's going to scoot around really slowly, and therefore will be really easy for enemies to grab. The plan isn't flawless, and if they don't account for the flaws, you're well within your GMing rights to generate fun from having them deal with the unforeseen complications (like an enemy just grabbing the bag and taking them captive).

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.
If anyone's planning to run the Elemental Evil campaign, watch out for the Necromancer's Cave. My very first time running a 5e game, and the party almost wiped on the penultimate encounter. :eng99: Nine monsters against a level 1 party, wtf

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Harrow posted:

Personally, I say let them go for it. Hell, let them even get out of one or two sticky situations with it if they try it at the right time. But you said it yourself: that bag's going to scoot around really slowly, and therefore will be really easy for enemies to grab. The plan isn't flawless, and if they don't account for the flaws, you're well within your GMing rights to generate fun from having them deal with the unforeseen complications (like an enemy just grabbing the bag and taking them captive).
I'm now picturing some goblin running to his boss with a bag full of wizards while ghostly hands keep trying to trip him up and closing doors in his face.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Splicer posted:

I'm now picturing some goblin running to his boss with a bag full of wizards while ghostly hands keep trying to trip him up and closing doors in his face.

When he gets the bag to his boss, the PCs are horrified to discover that they owe the boss three wishes. Not because he's dumb and thinks they're genies though. It turns out that "let the magic-doing guy out of the container = he owes you three wishes" is a fundamental law of the universe.

Now the players have to subvert the DM's wishes...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

AlphaDog posted:

When he gets the bag to his boss, the PCs are horrified to discover that they owe the boss three wishes. Not because he's dumb and thinks they're genies though. It turns out that "let the magic-doing guy out of the container = he owes you three wishes" is a fundamental law of the universe.

Now the players have to subvert the DM's wishes...

This is beautiful. I want my players to stumble into a similar situation so that I can do this to them now.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

ProfessorCirno posted:

I'm kinda curious what you mean by this too. Considering how pandering this edition has been to being 3e lite you'd think that the one official campaign setting who's birthplace was in 3e and possibly has the most organic transition to converting a world to 5e would get some love.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Trihugger posted:

I'm kinda curious what you mean by this too. Considering how pandering this edition has been to being 3e lite you'd think that the one official campaign setting who's birthplace was in 3e and possibly has the most organic transition to converting a world to 5e would get some love.

It's because grogs hate Eberron for not being 'serious' enough. They like to accuse it of being like a JRPG.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

fool_of_sound posted:

It's because grogs hate Eberron for not being 'serious' enough. They like to accuse it of being like a JRPG.

Someone mentioned some time back that WotC would have been smart to cater to some of the Game of Thrones hype. I mean that's basically Eberron. The work has already been done for them if they aren't stupid about it.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Harrow posted:

This is beautiful. I want my players to stumble into a similar situation so that I can do this to them now.

I'd really make it as hard as possible, and then a few sessions after they get out of the situation, I'd give them a genie lamp. Just to see if they'd sympathise.

Like, the genie pops out and is all "ah man, not this poo poo again, come oooooooon..." and my goal would be to have made their lives so difficult that their response is "yeah bro it's a tough gig, never mind just chill in the lamp and we'll drop into the ocean or whatever you like".

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 7, 2015

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Naturally genies don't have some magic 'wish' power, they have to do everything manually like the rest of the world.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Kurieg posted:

Was there something in the psionics preview that I missed?

Psionics are primarily connected to Dal Quor, not Xoriat; psionics in Eberron are explicitly not all about madness and insanity. But the 5e team wants psionics to be based in the whole "Far Realm" thing so dammit all they will be!

Trihugger posted:

It's not about intentionally messing with Eberron's lore because gently caress Eberron, it's about the 5e team having a specific idea about psionics (that they even polled about and if I recall the "make it all Far Realm" option wasn't even the popular choice!) and pushing that on everything else. It's hilariously the same thing 4e did to Forgotten Realms, but it's 5e, so it's ok.

Also I don't think 5e has been trying to pander to be 3e lite. 5e is the 3e that never happened - it's 3e for more AD&D fans. It's prime fansite is ENWorld which is filled to the BRIM of AD&D -> 3e fans. That's the general audience. Most tend to be eh on Eberron, so it's up on the chopping block.

EDIT: Also :laffo: at "psionics appear in settings where arcane magic is more rare. Like Eberron!"

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 7, 2015

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Tunicate posted:

Naturally genies don't have some magic 'wish' power, they have to do everything manually like the rest of the world.

This particular one should have magic powers about as far ahead of the PCs as their powers are ahead of a goblin boss.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
So I tried my hand at porting over the 3.5 Marshal into a Fighter Archetype

This isn't really supposed to be a "good" or well-designed archetype, but more as an exercise to try and see how easy it'd be to crowbar in a 3rd Edition class within the 5th Edition framework, as well as a writing exercise to try and write in naturalistic language.

The latter was pretty easy, but the former was more difficult than I thought. The Fighter only has 5 "breakpoints" where they earn new archetype features, and archetypes only start at level 3, so unless I was going to violate that I had to make squeeze everything in like a pair of Levis.

Instead of Minor Auras at level 1 and Major Auras at level 2, I had to give both at level 3. And then there's this LOOONG stretch of nothing until level 7. I couldn't wait until level 7 to give out Major Auras because games might well be over until then.

This makes this Archetype appealing as a multi-class dip, but that's really a problem with the Fighter's interaction with multi-classing and 5e's multi-classing rules in general.

Also, the Marshal is only supposed to know so many Auras at any one time, but there's no good way to gradually dole those out without a table or again giving uneven bunches at the 5 breakpoints.

Finally, the auras fall into the same problem as Battle Master Maneuvers where there's no tiering, so doling them out a few at a time just means you take the best ones right away and the latter ones are the useless ones, but that, along with the general lack of the Marshal for anything to do, is a problem with the original class.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Tunicate posted:

That's pretty much how it works in the original story of Aladdin. His first wish of the genie of the lamp was for some food, and the genie "returned with a silver bowl, twelve silver plates containing rich meats, two silver cups, and two bottles of wine." In other words, it was out there, thieving. Genies have magic abilities and are immensely strong and fast but they don't have direct reality-editing powers.

The three wishes that change reality and will gently caress you over due to poor wording is actually from The Monkey's Paw, and it has nothing to do with genies. Even the amount. In Aladdin the genies (plural, there's a genie of the lamp and a genie of the ring) are outright slaves who must serve. There's no limit to three tasks.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Sage Genesis posted:

That's pretty much how it works in the original story of Aladdin. His first wish of the genie of the lamp was for some food, and the genie "returned with a silver bowl, twelve silver plates containing rich meats, two silver cups, and two bottles of wine." In other words, it was out there, thieving. Genies have magic abilities and are immensely strong and fast but they don't have direct reality-editing powers.

The three wishes that change reality and will gently caress you over due to poor wording is actually from The Monkey's Paw, and it has nothing to do with genies. Even the amount. In Aladdin the genies (plural, there's a genie of the lamp and a genie of the ring) are outright slaves who must serve. There's no limit to three tasks.

So what's an efreet? Heroes of Might and Magic depicted them as evil, fiery versions of genies, but I'm sure that's not totally accurate, if at all.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Ratspeaker posted:

If anyone's planning to run the Elemental Evil campaign, watch out for the Necromancer's Cave. My very first time running a 5e game, and the party almost wiped on the penultimate encounter. :eng99: Nine monsters against a level 1 party, wtf

Something Awful's very own Game Room has a game of Princes of the Apocalypse running, and we had the same problems. Waador is quick to point out that it'd be impossible RAW for a wizard to control that many undead, but I'm more of the mind "monsters != PCs"

Nevertheless, the boss is pretty bullshit, yeah.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

gradenko_2000 posted:

So what's an efreet? Heroes of Might and Magic depicted them as evil, fiery versions of genies, but I'm sure that's not totally accurate, if at all.

A genie. And yeah they've got a fire thing going on but normal genies are also made of fire, in the same way that humans are (mythologically) made out of clay. Efreet and genies are nearly interchangeable, although I think efreet are depicted as evil more often than other genies are.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's not far off, really. Efreets (ifrits, afrits, whatever) are also a type of jinn, but they're nasty, demonic troublemakers rather than obedient servants like Aladdin's genies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Sage Genesis posted:

Old School D&D's genie-summoning ring also just Summoned a Djinn for 10 minutes a day, and it'd do whatever you needed done for that period of time using its entirely mundane powers. If that specific Djinn died, your ring was worthless.