Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xarph
Jun 18, 2001

beedeebee posted:

I just travelled through Croatia and Bosnia and it owned. Now I want to play a CK game in that area. Any cool or interesting starts over there?

I've started as count of zachlumia (or maybe it was the duke with that as his seat? not sure) in 896 start, swore vassalage to the byzantine empire, and wound up as emperor with the cunning use of knives, marriages, and using knives after marriages.

I've also started as Apulia 1066, had a crusade declared against croatia, went over there with 1500 men, seiged a single province to get some street cred, and wound up being granted all of croatia by the pope. Which I think was an insult because OH GOD WHAT DO I DO WITH ALL THESE CROATS.

In other news, I was very proud of this spymaster and posted about it on facebook:

I was then upstaged by a friend who posted his spymaster:

:gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

xarph posted:

I was then upstaged by a friend who posted his spymaster:

Not even an intrigue education. She looks like she's probably satanspawn.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Also, I hope I don't have to redo too much. :gonk:
I've redone most of the de jure ducal, regnal and imperial layout of Western Europe. I'm somewhat terrified of what'll have to be done to not just get the thing meshed with the new government systems, but also catching any references to titles that no longer exist in any new events that check for de jure stuff.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Ofaloaf posted:

I've redone most of the de jure ducal, regnal and imperial layout of Western Europe. I'm somewhat terrified of what'll have to be done to not just get the thing meshed with the new government systems, but also catching any references to titles that no longer exist in any new events that check for de jure stuff.

I warned you about it in your thread!

Here is a video about Horse Lords:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNttjLG2pNQ

That new overview about minor titles is awesome, I finally won't have to wonder how many of them I have left. The new commander system will force you to decide between using your marshal as a general or having him train troops/study technology/increase arrest chances.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

One of my unlanded sons just demanded a title, and since I was just about to take one from a rebelling vassal, I promised him I'd arrange it. However, I have 3 unlanded sons, and I forgot which one asked for it (father of the year right here). Is there a log of recent events? It doesn't seem to be in the message log. Also, I'm on ironman, so I think I can't use the charinfo console command to find out.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Lucky Guy posted:

One of my unlanded sons just demanded a title, and since I was just about to take one from a rebelling vassal, I promised him I'd arrange it. However, I have 3 unlanded sons, and I forgot which one asked for it (father of the year right here). Is there a log of recent events? It doesn't seem to be in the message log. Also, I'm on ironman, so I think I can't use the charinfo console command to find out.

That event might give you an opinion boost with that son, but I'm not sure. Hover over the opinion display in each son's character page and check if it says something like "promised me a title +10".

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Torrannor posted:

That event might give you an opinion boost with that son, but I'm not sure. Hover over the opinion display in each son's character page and check if it says something like "promised me a title +10".

:yeah:

Check for that. I'm pretty sure he's right.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

Torrannor posted:

It did, thanks! Happy birthday, whichever son you are, here's my shittiest county.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
For the demon spawn event chain, I see it shows "not_pagan" -- what qualifies as Pagan?

e.g. Cathar is not pagan, Viking is pagan? Jain is pagan?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

alcaras posted:

For the demon spawn event chain, I see it shows "not_pagan" -- what qualifies as Pagan?

Pagan - Germanic, Tengri, Slavic, Zunist, Romuva, Suomenusko

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

alcaras posted:

It's a religious group. Pagans are like old traditional, regional religions. Germanic (Norse), Suomenusko, Slavic, Tengri, West African, Romuva and Zunist. Plus Hellenistic and generic Pagans, which are only available via Ruler designer. Cathars are Christians, Jains are Indian/Dharmic.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

alcaras posted:

All religions that can be reformed are pagan. Germanic, Romuva, Tengri, Slavic, Suomenusko, West African and Aztec are pagan religions. I'm not sure about Zunism tough. The various Christian religions and their heresies, the Muslim religions and heresies, Judaism, Zoroastrianism and the Indian religions are not pagan religions.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Strudel Man posted:

Not even an intrigue education. She looks like she's probably satanspawn.

I imagine it as something like "spymaster-by-proxy." Where the mere threat of having tea with her is enough to crack most people. "You can tell us what we want, or you can have wine with my daughter-in-law. Before you decide, you should know that she is currently possessed by lucifer and she'll only entertain guests while bathing in human blood."

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
My Merchant Republic Of Tir Teiroghan or w/e has a neat thing that happened.

I have a bit of kin scattered across Ireland. This guys original liege had converted to Sunni 30~ years ago. He was holy warred by Gwenyyed who just took the county I guess because now my family seems to have an independent mosque. We don't rule over it but hey we did set up a trade expedition with him lol

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I had a Crusade called for Cathar Burgundy. We kicked all kinds of rear end and I was at the top despite taking a break to send my troops over to Denmark to help my dad with a rebellion, but the Crusade was won with me at the top. The victory message popped up and said that some other dude was given it. Ok, obviously that was a title claimant, I didn't really want to hand out Burgundy anyway, so no big loss. But it looks like either Burgundy didn't change hands, or the new guy is also Cathar, so that was a big nothing.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

How much attention do you guys play to the plotting? In my current game the empire is bigger than I ever had before and there's always like 80 plots. I used to check every so often if the person they wanted to kill had a good opinion of me or not but now I just end every single plat every so often. I have no idea how efficient ro totally inefficient that is.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
If they're titled (and not too powerful) imprison and ransom them for quick cash.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Goofballs posted:

How much attention do you guys play to the plotting? In my current game the empire is bigger than I ever had before and there's always like 80 plots. I used to check every so often if the person they wanted to kill had a good opinion of me or not but now I just end every single plat every so often. I have no idea how efficient ro totally inefficient that is.

Occasionally some vassal who I wanted to extort some money from or goad into a doomed rebellion will start a plot, so I'll keep an eye out for that and lock up the plotter. Occasionally they will target a kid of mine who I've given a title or otherwise want to keep alive (usually you will get specific notice of this) so I'll step in and tell them to knock it off. Occasionally the target will be someone I want hosed over so I will smile benevolently and move on because DAMNIT PARADOX WHY WON'T YOU LET US ASK TO JOIN ONGOING PLOTS ALREADY?!?!

Otherwise I really do not care about Random Insignificant Jackass A plotting to murder Random Insignificant Jackass B.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Well the problem with never checking I found was they can be plotting against you sometimes. Like exarch was plotting for a claim on the empire which I took issue with it but I don't recall ever getting a pop up for that. I also don't like anyone getting more than 1 kingdom title because at some point they're going to want independence and that many bodies is going to be a headache especially if anything else is going on.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dallan Invictus posted:

Otherwise I really do not care about Random Insignificant Jackass A plotting to murder Random Insignificant Jackass B.

Lunatics and possessed are often plotting against someone, so if they are plotting against someone I don't care about all the better.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I just click end all plots every once in a while once it starts getting into the triple digits.

Usually when there is a succession or soon after just as a 'new king all debts are clear all plots are over' type deal idk.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'm the count of Najera and Viscay, and I take the county of Navarra. I own all the counties needed to usurp the Kingdom of Navarra but I'm not independent so I can't do that. Before I can get independent the King of Navarra gets his recently weakened from being attacked rear end kicked by some muslims and the title is destroyed. I figure I'll have to create the title later. I'm above my demense limit so I give Navarra to my son. Later I get independence from the duke I'm under, but my son is still his vassal (:doh:) then I'm granted the duchy of Navarra, and get Independence from Asturias through a war. The duke who holds the county of Navarra rebells against his liege so I fight him to grab Navara back. 90% war score, civil war ends. Alright. I wait 10 years for that truce with the king to expire. I declare war, I'm 65 and the other king is 62 so I rush it as much as possible and get 90% warscore. The king dies and his realm is split up into a few kingdoims such that Navarra is a vassal of Castile instead of Asturias, thus my war ends inconclusively. So there's a new king, no truce. I go again, finally get Navarra and then I see this little thing in the kingdom creation screen I missed before "You need two duchies to create a kingdom title"

:argh:

It's not all bad though I'm still a free duke. That said, my petty squabbling destabilized the Christians in Spain enough that I'm now surrounded by the Umayyads so how much longer I remain a free duke is questionable. At some point even my grandkid was like "Why are we fighting Catholics" and truth be told that kid had a better grip on the situation than I did.

tl;dr I played cat and mouse for the kingdom of Navarra for like 50 years and all I got was a Duchy and a huge muslim blob.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Does the After the End mod make natural deaths more likely? I've been playing it a bit and I'm noticing characters routinely dying natural deaths in their 60s far more frequently than is my usual experience in vanilla CK2.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Kind of a nightmare scenario in my current game. Facing a 3 year regency. Going to be a lot of people wanting independence. Its an iron man game so I can't just console the difference away or save scum my way to a preferable outcome , which I would do if I could because regency is retarded with how fast regents always roll over and I'm not terribly interested in debating how games should be played. My previous ruler died I think after my most recent autosave. If I crash the game what are the odds he doesn't randomly die at the age of 35 again as a maimed cripple? Or could I just crash it and immediately start a largish civil war so they can't demand independence? .

The realm is absolutely gigantic and the notion of reconquering huge quantities of it slowly again would be just awful.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Goofballs posted:

Kind of a nightmare scenario in my current game. Facing a 3 year regency. Going to be a lot of people wanting independence. Its an iron man game so I can't just console the difference away or save scum my way to a preferable outcome , which I would do if I could because regency is retarded with how fast regents always roll over and I'm not terribly interested in debating how games should be played. My previous ruler died I think after my most recent autosave. If I crash the game what are the odds he doesn't randomly die at the age of 35 again as a maimed cripple? Or could I just crash it and immediately start a largish civil war so they can't demand independence? .

The realm is absolutely gigantic and the notion of reconquering huge quantities of it slowly again would be just awful.

Use your final moments of life to imprison all the large vassals, they can't declare independence because they will be in the dungeon.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

The percentage chance is really very low because they're mostly kings and queens. Or exarchs, byzantine empire and most of the way to pax romana

edit: I ran the game before to before the next savegame and the demand for independance came in and I didn't think it would happen but it actually let me tell them to gently caress off. They are 150% my size but I know I can take that handily because all I realy need to do is capture some provinces. I think lower crown authority is the on that always works?

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 8, 2015

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Whenever I remember, I stop plots against family members because you will not kill Whatshisface of Whereisitagain.
Anyone else is fair game, or simply a product of my own laziness.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

I never stop plots unless they're against me or someone really important.

I mean I don't really give a gently caress either way if some Duke wants to kill one of my cousins and if I happen to catch him in the act it's better to just let him have at it in case I need a reason to imprison him later rather than tell him to stop.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Reveilled posted:

Does the After the End mod make natural deaths more likely? I've been playing it a bit and I'm noticing characters routinely dying natural deaths in their 60s far more frequently than is my usual experience in vanilla CK2.

I checked and it uses the same default age-based death chances, but it's entirely possible other things added by the mod could be causing deaths at different points.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
60s is a pretty old age to live to in my CK2 experience. Most of the characters I see who die natural deaths do so in their 50s.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Tried out the Warhammer mod, played a bit as a northern chaos warlord, took a bunch of concubines. I had 7+ children, then I got nurgle's rot and within a year my entire line was dead and game over. So that's a thing.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Gough Suppressant posted:

Tried out the Warhammer mod, played a bit as a northern chaos warlord, took a bunch of concubines. I had 7+ children, then I got nurgle's rot and within a year my entire line was dead and game over. So that's a thing.

Nurgle's rot doesn't turn you into a plaguebearer?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Nurgle's rot doesn't turn you into a plaguebearer?

Definitely didn't when I got it. I was a slaaneshi warlord, so that might have an effect.

Gough Suppressant fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 8, 2015

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I think it could go either way. Given how diseases spread, there'd be a plague of plaguebearers if it always transformed you.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
I know it doesn't necessarily make sense to have it starting out, but can you add the ability to at least form the Byzantine Empire to After the End?

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Fall Sick and Die posted:

I know it doesn't necessarily make sense to have it starting out, but can you add the ability to at least form the Byzantine Empire to After the End?

paradoxforums.txt

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Married my character to some duchess so my sons would inherit her lands and mine and thus double the size of my realm. However, the duchess died pretty early, meaning my son left my court and is now duke. Meaning I can't control him :negative:
Everyday I pray for the sweet release of death, so I can play as my heir.

Oh, and another thing. I changed succession laws, which pissed him off, because his brother suddenly was first in line. Said brother got later murdered by someone, but the other brother (who will now inherit everything) still has that huge 'changed succession laws' negative modifier. What's up with that.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Dad: hey, hey son. Remember how I changed the laws of the realm and removed you from the direct line if succession. It's all fixed now, someone fortuitously murdered your brother!

Son: err, no dad. You still suck.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

beedeebee posted:

Married my character to some duchess so my sons would inherit her lands and mine and thus double the size of my realm. However, the duchess died pretty early, meaning my son left my court and is now duke. Meaning I can't control him :negative:
Everyday I pray for the sweet release of death, so I can play as my heir.

Oh, and another thing. I changed succession laws, which pissed him off, because his brother suddenly was first in line. Said brother got later murdered by someone, but the other brother (who will now inherit everything) still has that huge 'changed succession laws' negative modifier. What's up with that.

I think dynasty members in general will get upset if you change succession laws even if they never stood to inherit anything - they just don't like changes from how things are traditionally handled. The modifier is probably bigger if they DO get disinherited by the change but even people who get bumped into first by the change will sometimes still get the negative modifier (Although it is somewhat cancelled out by the positive "heir" modifier at that point).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think dynasty members in general will get upset if you change succession laws even if they never stood to inherit anything - they just don't like changes from how things are traditionally handled. The modifier is probably bigger if they DO get disinherited by the change but even people who get bumped into first by the change will sometimes still get the negative modifier (Although it is somewhat cancelled out by the positive "heir" modifier at that point).

The way it works is fairly transparent, I think... anyone who moves down the line of succession as a result of the change (I don't think this only applies to the top 3, but *anyone* who would have appeared anywhere in the line of succession) gets a -50 Outraged By Succession Law Change; whoever becomes the new heir gets a +50 Pleased by Succession Law Change; anyone else who moves up the line of succession gets a +20 Pleased by Succession Law Change.

If you switch from Gavelkind/*geniture to Feudal Elective all elector vassals (who aren't dynasty members in the previous line of succession) get the +20 (in addition to the +20 you always get with vassals for being Feudal Elective) and if you switch the other direction you get the -20, IIRC.

• Locked thread