Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

nielsm posted:

No idea about how IP assignment to our IP phones works, but they definitely have their weirdnesses. A single drop shared between phone and computer, with the phone acting as switch/hub for itself and the computer. Nothing unusual in that.

Turning off or rebooting the computer will disconnect any call from the phone.
No, there isn't any softphone involved.

You suddenly become wary of asking users to reboot.

gently caress phones.
This doesn't seem like an issue with the phones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is the switch seeing the MAC disappear and cycling the port or something?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

No fellow co-worker and teammate, you cannot have access to our Nextgen DB to "test" your sql queries on, even if it's in our non prod environment. In fact, you shouldn't be doing anything with SQL at all, you are barely a functional sys admin as it is, besides we have a whole team of DBAs to do our SQL work, sure go ask the boss, he's going to tell you the same drat thing I just did. :bang:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Dick Trauma posted:

Dealing with DHCP weirdness for my IP phones. Plugged a new phone in at an existing drop and it powered up but didn't pull an IP. Took my one old spare and plugged it in at the same drop and it worked normally. Brought the new phone to my office and plugged it into the cable my own phone uses. Once again powered up but didn't get an IP. Plugged my phone back in and it worked.

Took a look at DHCP and there's one scope for data and another for phones. There's plenty of leases left in the phone scope. Pulled up the log and saw that there were no entries at all for the new phone. Somehow it never registered a DHCP request. I saw the old spare and not only was it NACK denied but the IP it's using is outside the DHCP scope. My phone's request was also denied, but it's IP is within the scope and its lease shows up in the lease list.

Tried another brand new phone and it too failed to pick up an IP and no request was logged. The office manager unplugged his own phone and plugged it back in. It works, its IP is in the scope but it was denied... and its lease is not in the lease list.

So I have phones that don't register a DHCP request, phones that request but get denied, phones with IP outside the scope, phones within the scope but no lease showing... :psyduck:

After the new firewall went in something with IP helper must've gotten buggered up. Unbuggered things and a bunch of phones woke up with hangovers and received new IPs from the scope. In passing saw that the data scope is running out of leases and that about half of those in use are mobile devices so it's time to get that cleaned up as well.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Boss, just now: "I want you to find a helium balloon shaped like a computer. We're going to hang it up outside next to our sign to catch people's attention."

He's convinced that there's a warehouse somewhere with a bunch of ATX tower-shaped helium balloons and I have no earthly idea where I'm going to find this.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Segmentation Fault posted:

Boss, just now: "I want you to find a helium balloon shaped like a computer. We're going to hang it up outside next to our sign to catch people's attention."

He's convinced that there's a warehouse somewhere with a bunch of ATX tower-shaped helium balloons and I have no earthly idea where I'm going to find this.

http://www.bargainballoons.com/10Br...mhNnxoCqXDw_wcB

?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

:laffo:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

:wink:

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

After the new firewall went in something with IP helper must've gotten buggered up. Unbuggered things and a bunch of phones woke up with hangovers and received new IPs from the scope. In passing saw that the data scope is running out of leases and that about half of those in use are mobile devices so it's time to get that cleaned up as well.

What type of phones are these? If anyone is interested I can write a little on H323 registrations and IP phone provisioning via DHCP.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Shoretel.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
A ticket came in:

quote:

[Summary]:
No light in edit bay # 4

[Description:]:
Dark in work space

larchesdanrew posted:

Ticket closed: Light switch was off. Turned on.

Nonstop action around here today, let me tell you.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
AT&T wants $450 just for a technician to drive to my client's building. :stare: Your loving T1 is getting errored seconds. Fix it.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Irritated Goat posted:

AT&T wants $450 just for a technician to drive to my client's building. :stare: Your loving T1 is getting errored seconds. Fix it.

But you see, it tests fine all the way to the smart jack so our job is done. Also we never label anything because that would take too much effort on our part.

I hate T1's and companies who provide them.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We're switching our local PRI's to SIP and I can't loving wait. Saving a few hundred dollars a month.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Segmentation Fault posted:

Give him a quote for an empty tower, some duct tape, an air compressor, and a whole lot of helium.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Dick Trauma posted:

So I have phones that don't register a DHCP request, phones that request but get denied, phones with IP outside the scope, phones within the scope but no lease showing... :psyduck:

Our Cisco phones sometimes do this, DHCP works dandy on them until a few months later they can no longer grab an IP address. Only way around it I've found is to set a reservation for a new address and they grab it right away.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

mattfl posted:

Oh god, cloud hosted?! I can't even imagine. All our NextGen servers are here locally but we have hospitals all throughout the east coast and mid west that all communicate back here to Florida. Next to our Cerner install it's the biggest application we support here.

Funny, this is exactly what my new employer does. Cloud-base EHR for doctors that isn't Epic or Nextgen.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Creepy uncle desktop support guy (guy makes me physically ill with some of the stuff he says and does, boss doesn't want to hear about it so guess I just get to deal until I find a new job (hopefully soon!) or the ever growing list of people who don't want him anywhere near their computer reaches critical mass) tells me a laptop isn't reporting windows as genuine. I told him to just activate it and he says it doesn't work, so I take a look.

It's connected to the visitor wireless network.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

hihifellow posted:

Creepy uncle desktop support guy (guy makes me physically ill with some of the stuff he says and does, boss doesn't want to hear about it so guess I just get to deal until I find a new job

HR's job is to protect the company from stupid lawsuits and junk. Let them know that they have a stupid lawsuit in the works with this guy.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
A ticket came in...

... from me. It's me, I am the angry moron

Background: since early May, I've been tasked with getting a testbed Wyse thin client for our Xendesktop VDI working with three monitors. A couple of higher-ups want to have three monitors.

I did not architect this solution. I was not fully trained in it. Anything I learned about Xendesktop I learned from begging my boss to let me talk to the consultant who did. I later studied the Xendesktop 7 Cookbook in hopes of passing the CCA-V exam. I failed by three points but got a good idea of some stuff. That "some stuff" included absolutely nothing on thin client management. We have Wyse Device Manager but basically never use it - there's been no need. Citrix tools let me get the serial #s/MAC IDs if I need them, and WDM at least allows me to remote to the client should I need to get to its local admin menu, which is almost never.

Thin client and monitors arrive two weeks after I make the request. Power on thin client, it's a Windows Embedded 7 desktop. They tell me I need to manage it through Wyse Device Manager. They send me the WDM Administrator's Guide.

I download and install WDM. It fails on several servers giving weird SQL Express install issues. I try to point it at my main SQL cluster, it fails with even more issues.

I troubleshoot with Wyse support. They send me the WDM Administrator's Guide. I point out the steps in the guide where it fails and support doesn't really help much as time goes on, and I give up on that front. I install WDM on one of our DCs with SQL Express for purposes of making progress on the test.

I can't log on to Citrix with the embedded Citrix Receiver application. Nor can I just install over it when the terminal is in write mode. It fails saying the OS is incompatible.

I open another Wyse support ticket. They have me troubleshoot. We try a few different permutations of getting the Receiver application to associate properly but acts like it's not installed.

They build a Wyse image and tell me to push it. I can't figure out why I can't add the terminal to WDM. I ask for assistance. They send me the WDM Administrator's Guide. I point out that I've done the steps in the guide to add the client and they walk me through it. At this point it's late May/early June.

I get Citrix Receiver to launch in an IE kiosk window. This is a significantly and materially different experience from our current thin clients - they boot directly to the Xendesktop login, they enter their credentials, and they go. The thin client still presents a Windows desktop that we'd then have to lock down. Throwing a Windows-joined desktop into the mix is no longer VDI. I open a ticket with Wyse support. They send me the WDM Administrator's Guide. I point out that this only instructs on how to launch Receiver as a Windows application. Wyse support shrugs.

I spend the rest of June trying to wrangle time with the consultant. He tells me that they have a custom solution that he can send me. I spend the rest of June after that and July up until today following up, asking him to send it to me. Before the holiday he replied saying that solution would require development and extra billable hours, but he has a way to do it through Wyse Configuration Manager/Wyse Device Manager.

I build the config file xml via Wyse Configuration Manager and try to poke around WDM to see how I apply it to the test device. Finding nothing, I open a ticket with Wyse support. They send me the Wyse Configuration Manager guide, which details how to build a WCM instance from scratch. I tell them that we already have WDM, which I was hoping to use. They send me the WDM Administrator's Guide. I look at the section pertaining to WCM and it has nothing on how to actually push this xml. I point this out to Wyse support. They point me at a page in the WCM guide which fails after I perform the steps.

Bless me, Ticket Thread, for I have sinned. It has been I think two or three months since my last confession. Today I committed the sin of End-Userness by sending this to a vendor.

quote:

I created a view showing only Windows Embedded 7 and the client does not show up.

I will be frank, none of this is making sense to me and I am not looking to do a full-on Wyse implementation. We have that already.

I need to boot this Wyse terminal to a Citrix Storefront receiver. I have created a WCM config file which I'm told should do just that. I want to apply it to the one single device that is in this WDM test install.

Please provide me with the steps to do so - I have been stuck on this for at least a month going back and forth first with you guys, then trying to get my engineer to sound off when we could only get the kiosk option, and we're back to square one.

Please don't ask me to read through an instruction manual again. You can curate the steps I need to take and provide them to me, or you can Webex to my machine with me and see what's going on, or whatever method works best to provide me with direct support for this test.

I get that you guys don't want to be implementers but this is not a question of Dell designing a solution - this is a question of getting a solution to a workable test.

It doesn't have to be instantaneous. You don't have to give me hourly updates or anything like that. It does have to be something that says "the steps you need to take are as follows, based on the fact that you have an xml from WCM and no views configured," etc.

I feel like I bitched them out but I've been at my wit's end. I want nothing more to do with thin clients, ever. I get their merits but I'm not mentioning them on my resume for fear I might have to support them.

YotJ can't happen fast enough.

MJP fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 7, 2015

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

nitrogen posted:

Funny, this is exactly what my new employer does. Cloud-base EHR for doctors that isn't Epic or Nextgen.

Does your company share a name with a Greek goddess, by any chance?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

MJP posted:

A ticket came in...

... from me. It's me, I am the angry moron
At my last job, I tried to set up a Wyse thin client in a dual-monitor configuration, with one monitor on top of the other. But their xdisplay or whatever virtual desktop limit is hardcoded to 3840x1080, so unless the displays are 540 tall, it will fail. It won't throw an error, it just reverts to a single-display mode. I never got an answer from them on how they planned to fix that, but I'm pretty sure they don't actually care.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

anthonypants posted:

At my last job, I tried to set up a Wyse thin client in a dual-monitor configuration, with one monitor on top of the other. But their xdisplay or whatever virtual desktop limit is hardcoded to 3840x1080, so unless the displays are 540 tall, it will fail. It won't throw an error, it just reverts to a single-display mode. I never got an answer from them on how they planned to fix that, but I'm pretty sure they don't actually care.

We're doing that now using wnos ini files, one for each MAC ID, with duplicates on each Xendesk delivery controller server. That only supports two monitors. The best part on all this, the stated options in the config xml I created with WCM only specified two monitors. They do actually let you specify the position of monitor 2 in relation to monitor 1, but I have no clue how the three monitor option works.

Forget teaching them to alt-tab, just implement a technical solution without training or funding or expertise!

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

nitrogen posted:

HR's job is to protect the company from stupid lawsuits and junk. Let them know that they have a stupid lawsuit in the works with this guy.

Oh I fully plan on abusing all the good will I've fostered around here into maybe getting some changes done in the IT department (creepy guy is just the burning cherry on the poo poo sundae) but I'm waiting for another job to line up before I start potentially torching bridges.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

MJP posted:

We're doing that now using wnos ini files, one for each MAC ID, with duplicates on each Xendesk delivery controller server. That only supports two monitors. The best part on all this, the stated options in the config xml I created with WCM only specified two monitors. They do actually let you specify the position of monitor 2 in relation to monitor 1, but I have no clue how the three monitor option works.

Forget teaching them to alt-tab, just implement a technical solution without training or funding or expertise!
I think it should work, and if you can get to a linux prompt on the thin client, you should be able to do xrandr -q to show you some video options. But as far as I can tell, changing those is a matter of implementing a fix to the firmware. So...good luck with that.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Does anyone here use Rally? I've been using it the last couple weeks and it's taken me that long to get accustomed to how weirdly it's designed.

namol
Mar 21, 2007

MJP posted:

...I install WDM on one of our DCs with SQL Express for purposes of making progress on the test. ...
I hate you

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Agrikk posted:

A friend of a friend found the web site for my sole-proprietorship moonlighting gig and wants me to build a SQL Server 2014 Cluster on a pair of Windows Servers in a VMware/UCS environment and then support it on 1099 retainer rather than an hourly billing.

No idea, but I think you should as I'm vaguely curious as to how a MSSQL Cluster is configured and functions.

Post a project.log :)

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

nielsm posted:

No idea about how IP assignment to our IP phones works, but they definitely have their weirdnesses. A single drop shared between phone and computer, with the phone acting as switch/hub for itself and the computer. Nothing unusual in that.

Turning off or rebooting the computer will disconnect any call from the phone.
No, there isn't any softphone involved.

You suddenly become wary of asking users to reboot.

gently caress phones.

This actually sounds awesome. Kinda like back in the days of doing dial up tech support.

"I reset your password, I need you to hang up, try to log in again, and if it fails call back"

No call ever lasted longer than we wanted, because we always had a valid reason to disconnect, and now so do you!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Does anyone here use Rally? I've been using it the last couple weeks and it's taken me that long to get accustomed to how weirdly it's designed.

I find it incredibly clunky.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Cisco UCM/personal communicator is great, until you restart your phone, or your computer, or something happens, and then your softphone functionality is gone.

wait not Cisco UCM/personal communicator is dogshit.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

namol posted:

I hate you

Yeah, don't install SQL Server on Domain Controllers

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2032911

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

This actually sounds awesome. Kinda like back in the days of doing dial up tech support.

"I reset your password, I need you to hang up, try to log in again, and if it fails call back"

No call ever lasted longer than we wanted, because we always had a valid reason to disconnect, and now so do you!

Actually we get measured on issues solved in first contact, but specifically not call length.
So it does suck, if the user has to call back when the reboot was only part of a solution, like uninstall-reboot-reinstall.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Jeoh posted:

Yeah, don't install SQL Server on Domain Controllers

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2032911

Pretty sure 2014 versions actually fail the install now instead of just throwing a warning.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Alighieri posted:

Pretty sure 2014 versions actually fail the install now instead of just throwing a warning.

Please tell me it shows a sad clippy with a HAL 9000 quote.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

namol posted:

I hate you

I hate myself, too, but as I mentioned neither I nor Wyse support could figure out why it wouldn't let me install to the existing SQL cluster.

For what it's worth this is all just for a goddamn loving proof of concept, not yet prod, but it's basically proof that my boss either has no spine or is not allowed to bring up "this exceeds our knowledge resources and requires consulting dollars to implement" to the Powers that Be.

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer
http://www.forbes.com/sites/maggiemcgrath/2015/07/08/new-york-stock-exchange-halts-trading/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...50aa_story.html

Alright which one of you fell asleep in the data center? Or was it something more ......deliberate :tinfoil:

Either way lots of tickets came in to someone today.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Been a while since I've seen one of these.

Totally beefy server. 16 cores. 48GB of RAM. Running Server 2003, 32-bit.

HMM WONDER WHY THEY ARE RUNNING OUT OF MEMORY

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ConfusedUs posted:

Been a while since I've seen one of these.

Totally beefy server. 16 cores. 48GB of RAM. Running Server 2003, 32-bit.

HMM WONDER WHY THEY ARE RUNNING OUT OF MEMORY
:cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ah well Server 2003 leaves support next week so at least the box will be decommissioned

:getin:

• Locked thread