Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I don't understand how some of you are having hard times with your BBs. Yes they are slow, but the payoff is huge when you one shot broadside someone for >58k damage. Each ship has it's own unique firing pattern, learn how to play into it and you'll do good. Don't auto dump your entire load either. Fire off one gun to see what your lead time should be, and then bukkake them ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Doesn't help when you put your shots on target and watch them spread in front and behind the ship.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

It also helps the higher tier you are and the more guns you have. I'm in the New York and loving it, but it's been a struggle up to that point. Also I swear whatever the Tier 4 IJN BB is is actually worse than the T3 when it comes to accuracy.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, I'm not convinced that straddling fire is meant to cover splashing both ahead and behind the bow and stern respectively, with a two-gun turret. Then again, I was hit by a torpedo I watched sail completely past the bow of my ship the other day, so poo poo's weird.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 7, 2015

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Stanley Pain posted:

I don't understand how some of you are having hard times with your BBs. Yes they are slow, but the payoff is huge when you one shot broadside someone for >58k damage. Each ship has it's own unique firing pattern, learn how to play into it and you'll do good. Don't auto dump your entire load either. Fire off one gun to see what your lead time should be, and then bukkake them ;)

RNG spread accuracy has nothing to do with skill. Some battleships have terrible shotgun effects when you fire. This isn't anything to do with dying or failing or being bad. For me it simply becomes unfun. I can win in my BB and still have had a poor time because every time I shotgun around a perfectly led target and have to wait 25-30 seconds I know in a cruiser I could be ripping people apart and then sailing away at 35 knots. The 58k every shell hits a citadel barrages are exceptions and generally anything a BB can do a cruiser can do better but just has to get closer.

People can crow all they want about skill and "get good" but it isn't down to ability. The mechanics themselves are just boring and slow.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Stanley Pain posted:

Yes, you can get a massive broadside if the RNG determines that:

a. more than a handful of your shells even hit the target in the first place
b. the shells that do hit just so happen to hit where you want them to
c. the game decides that yes, that hit directly underneath the smokestacks or turret is actually a penetrating citadel hit

Or you can fire a full broadside at another battleship 5km away, have most of your shells splash into the water in front of and behind your target and get one hit for 1000 damage. Ironically I find that getting citadel hits at extreme range is much more likely simply because your shells often end up dropping straight down onto deck armor. My highest damage games tend to be ones where most of my shooting is done at or near maximum range. I have never had any luck landing citadel hits on another battleship in a close range brawl, it's more like a slow death by degrees as you inflict multiple 1000-4000 damage hits per volley.

I love battleships but whether or not you have a good round in one is far too dependent on RNG right now, especially in the lower tiers. What you call a firing pattern is actually more like randomly distributing shells in a circle of X diameter because that's pretty much how dispersion works at the moment. It's the same poo poo that makes World of Tanks extremely frustrating to play at times. Meanwhile cruisers are able to consistently apply DPS, fires and crippling module damage with high RPM guns shooting HE in the current meta.

It definitely gets better once you get into the New York/Kongo and beyond but the underlying game mechanic is still lovely and makes it a real chore to actually get to those ships in the first place.

ranbo das posted:

It also helps the higher tier you are and the more guns you have. I'm in the New York and loving it, but it's been a struggle up to that point. Also I swear whatever the Tier 4 IJN BB is is actually worse than the T3 when it comes to accuracy.

I can't log in to check at the moment but I'm pretty sure the Myogi has the worst dispersion radius of any T3/T4 battleship while at the same time having the least number of guns.

Vatek fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 7, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Stanley Pain posted:

~800m range, 6 shell broadside from a Kawachi, 3 splash into the ocean before reaching the ship, 3 sail over the top of the highest masts.

400m range, 2 shells from one Myogi turret at an Isokaze, one into the water, one over the smoke stacks.

Yeah it's totally firing patterns.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 7, 2015

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

srb posted:

The DPM of the St Louis spamming HE is incredible, unless low tier battleships get citadel pens on you (easier said than done at some ranges with the dispersion of the guns) you can solo them. Add in two other St Louis from a division and it's downright scary.
Or Atlanta/Cleveland. I'm hating Pensacola because its projectile speed isn't that much faster than Cleveland (about 2-3 seconds faster at 15 km) but its DPM is low that it can't do anything regardless of range. Just need to get citadel hit but it's just easy to deflect AP shells.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm having a hard time actually getting kills with the St. Louis. I do a lot of damage, set a lot of fires, but I rarely seem to actually destroy the enemy. Is there a specific range I should be swapping to AP to try to hit juicy bits or what?

I admit part of this is my hundreds of hours of War Thunder and thus even though I know EXP is primarily based on damage I still twitch a little when I gently caress a guy up bad and someone else puts the last shot in him.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Night10194 posted:

I'm having a hard time actually getting kills with the St. Louis. I do a lot of damage, set a lot of fires, but I rarely seem to actually destroy the enemy. Is there a specific range I should be swapping to AP to try to hit juicy bits or what?
If you can't hit deck or belt at perpendicular angle just poop HE at upper structure around turrets. Note that you won't penetrate most battleships.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
It's just not very much fun playing a battleship when your aim is dictated more by luck than where you actually point the guns. It's the same thing as artillery from tanks, if not as bad. Properly aimed shots often don't reward a citadel hit, and improperly aimed shots will still citadel hit fairly often.
There are situations where you can citadel hit somewhat consistently, but most of the time anyone who claims they can hit citadel reliably is either remembering alpha patches where you actually could, or desperate to be thought of as a good player.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

For me it feels like long distance shooting with a shotgun, but where a headshot is a one hit kill. You can get very lucky if your aim is bad, and you can get quite lucky if your aim is good, but you can just as easily fire 3 shots in a row as accurately as you possibly can and come away with zero damage dealt to show for it. That whole process takes 2 minutes which is 1/10th of a round gone already, and that's not counting the time you spent sailing to the area and lining up those shots in the first place.

In fairness I think WG are aware it's an issue. They don't want battleships to be any more accurate than they are now at long range since the pubbie sniping is bad enough as it is, and they already gave them an accuracy boost inside 5km in the OBT patch (and it does feel a bit better inside that range). If they extended that to 8km and also made large caliber AP rounds penetrate thin armour at high angles a bit better (a 3" armour belt on a cruiser is not going to stop a 14" AP shell reliably from close range, even at high angle) then they'd be in a good place.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Some of you have either really bad luck or are grossly exaggerating. Yes at max range the spread requires some sacrifices to RNGesus. 800m? I don't think I've seen any really miss unless it was a DD and I grossly underestimated their lateral speed. Long range sniping fests in BBs are are trap none the less.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Stanley Pain posted:

Some of you have either really bad luck or are grossly exaggerating. Yes at max range the spread requires some sacrifices to RNGesus. 800m? I don't think I've seen any really miss unless it was a DD and I grossly underestimated their lateral speed. Long range sniping fests in BBs are are trap none the less.

Ships sailing parallel to me, speed judged perfectly, shells splashing into the water or directly over the top of the masts that otherwise should or would have crashed into the middle of the hull. I'm not sure I even know what game you're playing if you think battleships are at all accurate or capable of consistent damage at any range.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think part of why I'm liking Destroyers so much is torpedoes feel way less RNG. I just have to predict what direction he's going or where he'll spook or when he won't be able to dodge, and similarly, the gameplay is all about sneaking around the scrum and getting to the 1-2 BBs every game that like to sit back and 'snipe', then giving them a knife in the dick. I almost never survive in a Destroyer but I almost always kill 1 ship minimum, cripple another, and sometimes do great and kill 3, so I think it's a fair trade.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I find it quite rare to not score any hits at all from a salvo, but it is very common to score 2 or 3 hits and do a grand total of 1500 damage, while the cruiser you are shooting hits you back for 3k and does so 4 times for each time you get to shoot back.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Missing an entire broadside? It doesn't happen always, its usually the exception, not the rule. But glancing hits that only do 1k damage or so are much more common. I'd say in my Myogi that 4K damage hits are the most common, with 1k damage and more than 4k mixed in, and Citadels being just a tiny less common than total misses. The accuracy goes up if I'm closer than max range, of course.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
I wish they would get rid of the Standard game type. Twenty minute games ending in draws is so boring, and some of the maps need multiple cap points to focus attention. If I get Standard Fault Line in a low tier battleship, I exit to port to not waste my time.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Man after updating it feels like it takes five minutes to load a game.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

NTRabbit posted:

Ships sailing parallel to me, speed judged perfectly, shells splashing into the water or directly over the top of the masts that otherwise should or would have crashed into the middle of the hull. I'm not sure I even know what game you're playing if you think battleships are at all accurate or capable of consistent damage at any range.

This hasn't been my experience at all at anything around 5K or closer. :shrug:

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Which ships/captain skills/upgrades have you been using? I'd really like to know when I can expect your experience with BBs!

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SilverMike posted:

Which ships/captain skills/upgrades have you been using? I'd really like to know when I can expect your experience with BBs!

Have up to the New Mexico BB right now, Captains are down into Tier 4 upgrades, off the top of my head I can't remember which options I chose for them. Ships are all fully upgraded.

I tend to cut speed when firing broadside, or even long range. Perhaps that's factoring in? I also tend to fire one ranging shot followed by all the rest at once.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

grrarg posted:

I wish they would get rid of the Standard game type. Twenty minute games ending in draws is so boring, and some of the maps need multiple cap points to focus attention. If I get Standard Fault Line in a low tier battleship, I exit to port to not waste my time.

Weird, the only draws I've had were games with carriers hiding.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Stanley Pain posted:

I tend to cut speed when firing broadside, or even long range. Perhaps that's factoring in? I also tend to fire one ranging shot followed by all the rest at once.

Ranging shot makes no difference to spread and the randomness of damage

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

NTRabbit posted:

I don't think anyone thought that was the point of ranging shots.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

NTRabbit posted:

That's not what I range the shot for..

Hazdoc posted:

I don't think anyone thought that was the point of ranging shots.

This.

I'm almost positive there is a difference in shot spread between firing one by one and all at once with a favour going to all out once. My own experience has been better shot grouping in general.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Stanley Pain posted:

That's not what I range the shot for..

This.

I'm almost positive there is a difference in shot spread between firing one by one and all at once with a favour going to all out once. My own experience has been better shot grouping in general.

In my experience, if I shoot a DD at close range in sequential fire, my shots go all over the place, but if I fire a broadside, I'm likely to at least hit 1 or 2. I've also noticed that the closer you are to a target, the more likely your shots will end up above the target, even if you were aiming at the waterline. I like aiming a bit below the waterline at this point, as the shots that hit the water can still potentially hit the ship, but shots that go over will always miss.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
What level 3 skill would you take on a Cruiser captain ?
High Alert is only 6sec on the repair skill while Superintendet is useless untill you get the repair at tier 8.

Sneaky Kettle
Jul 4, 2010

Hazdoc posted:

Missing an entire broadside? It doesn't happen always, its usually the exception, not the rule. But glancing hits that only do 1k damage or so are much more common. I'd say in my Myogi that 4K damage hits are the most common, with 1k damage and more than 4k mixed in, and Citadels being just a tiny less common than total misses. The accuracy goes up if I'm closer than max range, of course.

After a couple dozen games in my Myogi, this is definitely my experience. Predominantly 1ks, a few 3 and 4ks, and then overwhelmingly misses. I have to get absurdly lucky to get a citadel pen. I'm lucky if I see one of those every couple of games. It is a truly awful ship and it takes so long to slog through it because you keep losing and get 600xp, on account of not being able to contribute. A Myogi is pretty much dead weight. The Wyoming is marginally better; it at least has more guns, 2x6. It can make up for its inaccuracy with shot volume; throw enough poo poo at the wall and something will stick. But 2x3 with a full 30s reload and breathtaking inaccuracy, that's a disaster.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
US carriers have bigger squadrons than Japanese ones, right? In dogfights does this play a factor?

What bombers have rear guns? When is it worth it to take that tier 1 skill that boosts your bombers' defensive fire?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Just started playing this today and I'm finding the starter American ship to be a whole lot more fun than the Japanese ship; even after unlocking all of the modules and upgrading everything.

Following my play "style" in World of Tanks, I have my ship alternating shell types between full battery shots and that seems to really gently caress things up for whoever I'm shooting.

Citadel hits with AP followed by some HE landing in the same general area seems to do the most damage (or just directing HE at their guns if I'm going by too fast). Also, full speed ahead charges at someone while turning at slight angles in between shots, then killing acceleration as I pass (they always hurry to get out of the way) and going full broadside until they're dead is fun.

I haven't gotten very many kills in a match this way because usually after the first person dies while I do that three or four other ships gang up on me and I sink rather quickly (unless the person I did this to was distracted by a bunch of other boats on my team attacking them at the same time).

I'm getting a lot of laughs out of the chat rage if an AP salvo hits the Citadel at anything farther than 3km away though.

Kuntz
Feb 17, 2011
What level 2 skill have people been taking on their IJN cruiser captains? I'm thinking of either the fire prevention one or the long range artillery warning, the first two seem kinda marginal considering you get 203mm guns from tier 5 and on.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Panfilo posted:

US carriers have bigger squadrons than Japanese ones, right? In dogfights does this play a factor?

What bombers have rear guns? When is it worth it to take that tier 1 skill that boosts your bombers' defensive fire?

A six plane squadron will easily beat a four plane squadron. Two four plane squadrons will beat one six plane squadron, and so on. If the numbers are equal (3 v 2 squadrons) the larger squadrons will probably win. US fighters are usually stronger at equal tier if I remember right.

Smaller squadrons have some advantages but most of those disappear if the enemy team has decent fighters.

As far as I know, most bombers have rear guns, certainly at high tiers. Not sure how effective the skill is.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Okay, I have to say I wasn't sold on that wide flat ocean map, but as a destroyer it's a goddamn amazing playground. The whole round I could just drive around completely unmolested while farting torpedoes every which way. I think I've only been detected two times, and was never fired upon. It felt completely unfair, but also hilarious.

3 of those 4 kills were BBs with 50+% hp left :laugh:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

There is nothing quite like taking a BB from 100 to 0 solo in a Destroyer.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Night10194 posted:

There is nothing quite like taking a BB from 100 to 0 solo in a Destroyer.

There is, downing a carrier.
drat I hate those sky cancer with a passion.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Kuntz posted:

What level 2 skill have people been taking on their IJN cruiser captains? I'm thinking of either the fire prevention one or the long range artillery warning, the first two seem kinda marginal considering you get 203mm guns from tier 5 and on.

I like Aiming Expert, some IJN cruisers have really low turret turn speed.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Kuntz posted:

Long range artillery warning is pretty useless. 6+ second flight times are either from a battleship sniping and hoping to get lucky or a cruiser that should be immediately obvious without wasting two skill points.

Aiming Expert cuts off a significant chunk of traversal time. Someone posted a chart in the thread a couple of days ago.

Fire prevention is also good.

Edit: Found the traversal chart. Furutaka and Myoko are 45 seconds base. Aoba, Ibuki, and Zao are 36 seconds. Mogami is 40s on 155mm and 30s on 203mm.

grrarg fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 7, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

NTRabbit posted:

So Warspite is now gone from the ingame store as well, have to buy it for real money if you still want it.

You can't even buy it for real money anymore - going through the website link it pops up "item not found."

It is kind of hysterical that the *only* premium ships you can now get your hands on are the Aurora, Murmansk, and Ishizuchi (through the premium store).

Kuntz posted:

Given the slowness of IJN guns, I've found Aiming Expert to be worthwhile (though diminishing returns kick in when you hit the Furutaka with its 200-203mm). Besides, you *need* a Level 2 skill in order to unlock a Level 3 skill, which should almost always be High Alert.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Do the secondary artillery take on the properties of the AP or HE shell type you choose? Do they actually lead their shots properly?