Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Branis
Apr 14, 2006
deport all slavs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDrinksAlot
Aug 6, 2006

The wicked flee when none pursueth
Yeah I definitely wouldn't falsify any information. I just wanted to know if it was even worth pursuing.

I'm already working as a Nurse full time at a hospital but I'm dropping to mobile pool so I can attend the academy.

Well I'll apply anyway and if I get DQd I can always just go back to full time.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Apply. You'll be fine. Or not. gently caress it.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Apply. You'll be fine. Or not. gently caress it.

New thread title.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

what the heck

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

Hezzy posted:

what the heck

What the gently caress did I just watch.

You can just tell those two loving bellends are a pair of Surrey born wankers called Sebastian.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
When you guys arrest someone, do you not also charge them? I've never heard of an arrest without charge, what kind of bizarro world do you guys live in? You can only hold someone for so long before they have to be charged or released so is this just a semantics thing?

Re: the Ask Tell Criminal Justice thread.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
When I arrest someone I submit a criminal complaint/probable cause statement to the Magistrate and request charges at that time. The Magistrate then determines if sufficient probable cause exists and issues warrants ("charges") which are served on the arrestee right there. At that point a bond/release hearing is conducted and a determination is made to release, bond, or hold for a formal arraignment before a judge. An arrestee cannot be held in custody without charges, paperwork having previously been issued, or some other type of formal proceeding taking place. The detention center wouldn't let them through the door without it.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

Cop gay. So What posted:

When you guys arrest someone, do you not also charge them? I've never heard of an arrest without charge, what kind of bizarro world do you guys live in? You can only hold someone for so long before they have to be charged or released so is this just a semantics thing?

There are so many answers to this, usually no, we arrest under suspicion of an offense having been committed so it can be investigated and a charge may follow later. We can also arrest to prevent an offense, prevent an obstruction, arrest for bizarre reasons like breach of the peace (which you can go to prison for but never get charged for etc etc.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Untagged posted:

When I arrest someone I submit a criminal complaint/probable cause statement to the Magistrate and request charges at that time. The Magistrate then determines if sufficient probable cause exists and issues warrants ("charges") which are served on the arrestee right there. At that point a bond/release hearing is conducted and a determination is made to release, bond, or hold for a formal arraignment before a judge. An arrestee cannot be held in custody without charges, paperwork having previously been issued, or some other type of formal proceeding taking place. The detention center wouldn't let them through the door without it.

For misdemeanor offenses we issue the criminal complaint (i.e. the charge) and they bond out and are given a court date to face a judge. For felonies, we transport to the county jail with a list of their charges and they await bond call to see a judge.

Are you saying every arrest you make has to be brought before a judge? Nobody can bond out?

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Cop gay. So What posted:

Are you saying every arrest you make has to be brought before a judge? Nobody can bond out?

No, not exactly. Virginia has Magistrates who act as first level judicial officers for criminal complaints, probable cause hearings, set bond/release, issue search warrants, etc. Most every arrested person is brought before a Magistrate for a probable cause/arrest hearing. Includes local charges, misdemeanors, felonies, etc. The Magistrate then determines what the next step will be, ie release on recognizance, set a bond, or hold for an appearance before a judge. This does not include people who are "arrested" at the scene but released on a criminal summons, or folks who have detainers or other paperwork which stipulates automatic arrest and confinement without Magistrate appearance. Magistrates are not Judges, but act as an independent part of Virginia's judiciary.

This is a classic phone posting, with Samsung making arbitrary decisions about just about every word.

Untagged fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 7, 2015

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Thanks for clarifying, we don't have magistrates here so I thought the term was interchangeable with judge.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Cop gay. So What posted:

Section 24 of the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 details a Constable's power of arrest. We only exercise our power of arrest to fulfill certain criteria, as specified in subsection 5. We then have a period of 24 hours in order to carry out our investigation. This can be extended on the authorisation of a high ranking police officer. To prolong the investigation, for example if we need to gather additional evidence that is not immediately available, we can bail the person which tells them to attend the police station again at a specified time and date. At the moment there is no statutory limit on bail, so as long as there is time on the "PACE Clock" (the 24 hours in custody) then they can keep being bailed. Of course this isn't good so the Government are introducing steps to stop silly bails and forces already have internal procedures in place.

We only charge if there is sufficient evidence of the offence and it is in the public interest to proceed with a prosecution. Most people are usually eligible for "out of court disposals" such as an on the spot fine, a caution, referral to the Youth Offending Team, Community Resolution or summons to court. My force is a national one and the majority of it does not have dedicated custody facilities, so we often use cells belonging to local forces. Because of this, I tend to use alternative means such as "Voluntary Attendance" at a police station for audio interview, conducting "Contemporaneous" interviews on paper, reporting people for offences (which results in summons to court).

It's pretty complex!

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Christ no wonder you can't hold on to all your lovely colonies.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
It's been awhile... Can we get some sov cit stories from you folks?

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toBCb9K9T3E&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpxKPJEbyrM

That guys whole channel is like stream of consciousness crazy sovereign

Branis fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jul 17, 2015

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Have you ever professionally dealt with one?

edit: That kid in the video is quite possibly the ugliest person I've seen in my life.

Skoll fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jul 17, 2015

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Is that the loving geico caveman? Why is he recording this in the woods?

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
I can just imagine an ordinary coversation with him. "So the other day under protest I decided under protest to go get some groceries under protest but then I remembered that I had to pick up my niece under protest so I'm out of ramen noodles under protest."

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Fight to Fly. Fly to Fight. Fight to Win.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoYF5BvUvHo

thank you for being under protest.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

That heavy breathing at the end, haha. As soon as his hands stop shaking he is going to start mentally composing his next Facebook post #ACAB!!!!

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I'm not usually a huge fan of the cops beating the poo poo out of people, but exceptions can be made.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

bitcoin bastard posted:

I'm not usually a huge fan of the cops beating the poo poo out of people, but exceptions can be made.

under protest

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Are police dogs nice when they are off duty?

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Who is responsible for naming the police dogs?

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Do the dogs ever do embarassing things, like stopping in the middle of a chase to take a dump or something?

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

Do the dogs ever do embarassing things, like stopping in the middle of a chase to take a dump or something?

Our police dogs are trained on people wearing surplus police uniforms so they loving love biting us.

We also keep them hooked on Heroin and Crack cocaine so they are more diligent in sniffing it out.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

I was recently at a retirement ceremony for one of the dogs from the local sheriff's department. As part of the ceremony, the dog was allowed to have a piece of cake. The dogs are pretty much trained from forever not to do that, so when it came time to get the photo op of the dog eating the cake he repeatedly looked up at his handler like 'are you sure? are you sure I can have cake?' And then the cake was inhaled in one go, and he was off to the races trying to sniff out All Of The Cake Forever.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

Our police dogs are trained on people wearing surplus police uniforms so they loving love biting us.

We also keep them hooked on Heroin and Crack cocaine so they are more diligent in sniffing it out.

Do the dogs usually bite and hold the person down, or do they actually inflict a lot of damage with the bites? Can you control how hard they bite or is it sort of an all or nothing thing?

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Phuzzy posted:

I was recently at a retirement ceremony for one of the dogs from the local sheriff's department. As part of the ceremony, the dog was allowed to have a piece of cake. The dogs are pretty much trained from forever not to do that, so when it came time to get the photo op of the dog eating the cake he repeatedly looked up at his handler like 'are you sure? are you sure I can have cake?' And then the cake was inhaled in one go, and he was off to the races trying to sniff out All Of The Cake Forever.

Also that is pretty adorable

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Good Dogge.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Phuzzy posted:

Yessssss more dogge stories.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

Do the dogs usually bite and hold the person down, or do they actually inflict a lot of damage with the bites? Can you control how hard they bite or is it sort of an all or nothing thing?

From what I've seen they require a fair bit of shouting and a bit of pulling to let go. I'm told that if they believe that their handler is in danger they won't stop biting.

I've only seen a GP dog bite 3 times and the first one was a dumb police officer who ignored commands to stay 6 foot away from the dogs as they barked at the EDL (racist fuckwits who cause loads of grief with dumb protests) and she got her coveralls ripped and buttock needing stitches.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tyro posted:

Any sovereign citizen dog stories?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I bit the bad man under protest

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
I got to help train (read as: play hide and go seek in a parking garage) a military working dog last year. That was p cool I guess.

Also once in a foot chase in the woods when I was in patrol, my coworker said some poo poo like "come out or I will release the (nonexistent) dog!" My supervisor who was with him did his best barking dog impression and the idiots came out of the woods. And one promptly told the other "I told you it was a trick!"

Good times.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
How helpful are police dogs in avoiding police deaths, civilian deaths, or just escalation of the situation in general (not sure how to phrase this)?

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Tyro posted:

Here have a potato phone picture of the Dogge eating cake

Good boy. I only wish I could find the picture of him doing a full sweep of the meeting room, including the garbage cans, for more cake crumbs.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

that dog is toast now. he's a cake addict.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Untagged posted:

that dog is toast now. he's a cake addict.

Lookit dat tail go :kimchi:

• Locked thread