Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Dumb thought of the day moment: If there is an upcoming FF6 callback patch/dungeon/trial/whatever, I hope one of the bosses has a Dancing Mad remix + a phase based on Heigan from Naxxaramas. :downsrim:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Pubs will generally either commend the first person on the list (typically the tank) or nobody. Unless a party member is a half naked catgirl, then that one gets the commends. (I may have gotten quite a lot back in the coliseum gear days).

In honesty I usually give the tank the comm too unless they were awful, or somebody else was a standout or at least fun to chat with. "DPS who actually knows their poo poo" in a roulette usually counts as standing out.

SirPhoebos posted:

Dumb thought of the day moment: If there is an upcoming FF6 callback patch/dungeon/trial/whatever, I hope one of the bosses has a Dancing Mad remix + a phase based on Heigan from Naxxaramas. :downsrim:

It is 100% guaranteed that Kefka is going to show up around patch 3.5 and 150% guaranteed that means we'll get a Soken take on Dancing Mad.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 7, 2015

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

MikeyLikesIt posted:

You guys were really harsh, she's just there for swift cast >.>, cut her some slack.

I see you guys let this attitude foster while I was away.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
the ostensible healer who just wants swiftcast complaining about another healer dpsing makes me hurt a lot.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
I tend to give my commendation to whichever DPS was doing the most damage, since I know most people tend to gravitate towards healer/tank by default and good DPS is less noticeable in the majority of content where bad DPS won't cause a wipe (but a bad healer/tank will).

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Tank chest is Skill Speed Major, Parry minor. I think it's pretty safe to go with the 7 week plan for that one unless Alex Weapon Tomestones rain like candy.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

I will commend any healer that is actually using cleric stance.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I have Ultima Horn and the Spotted Spencer Jacket now. My endgame is complete. See you all next expansion.

nuru fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 7, 2015

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
When I'm tanking, I tend to commend (in rough order of priority) anybody who goes out of their way to be nice to new people (explaining fights, etc.), anybody who tells funny jokes, the healer (unless they seem noticeably awful), or whoever has the funniest username or coolest glamour.

As I've been leveling MCH, I've been commending every DRK who isn't completely loving horrible at tanking, because it always feels like a goddamn miracle.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

the answer is the tank, or if i'm not tanking, me.

That's one hell of a sense of entitlement.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
If one were to buy the game now, does it matter if you buy it from Steam or Square Enix?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Etrips posted:

If one were to buy the game now, does it matter if you buy it from Steam or Square Enix?

SE because steam didn't do preorders or something.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Buy Non-Steam so you can buy the next expansion on sale from Green Man Gaming or Amazon or whoever has a deal at the time.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Man Alexander (YouTube mode) was easy

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
For commendations: If I'm a tank, I'll commend the healer if they dps or the dps if they're good. If I'm a healer, I'll commend the tank if they pull properly and use cooldowns, and DPS if the dps aren't bad. If I'm DPS, I commend anyone that outparses me.

Etrips posted:

It doesn't really matter. If you buy through Steam you have to buy all future expansions though them, but you also get the opportunity to pay through steam wallet. If you buy through SE you can buy future expansions from anywhere (other than steam).

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I give my commendation to whoever I didn't notice because they were probably pissing me off the least

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Eej posted:

Buy Non-Steam so you can buy the next expansion on sale from Green Man Gaming or Amazon or whoever has a deal at the time.

Ah ha. Good call.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I just commend someone at random every time

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

ilifinicus posted:

Man Alexander (YouTube mode) was easy

I was hype this morning because they said it would be harder than EX primals but we 3-shot or less every turn and cleared it 2 hours after the servers came up :smith:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

mightygerm posted:

I will commend any healer that is actually using cleric stance.

As a person who mains a white mage, when I go into a dungeon to level my PLD / MCH and I see a healer sitting around waiting for someone to get hurt before dropping a cure instead of switching into cleric stance and dropping stones all day makes me a little sad. I'll generally explain that concept to them that Cleric Stance has a quick-as-hell cooldown so you should jump in and out of it indiscriminately alternating between DPS and healing. They sometimes get it, or they'll stay in cleric stance and continue to heal in it :downs:

I remember one time I was with a summoner and a gladiator. Gladiator kept using riot blade and kept saying "please use savage blade" so the summoner said "screw it, bringing out titan-egi" and had the egi tank the entire dungeon. That summoner got my commendation, for sure.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Y'all I just got home and this Alexander music is incredible

also I'm glad this is duty findable because my FC appears to be split evenly between "spergs who have finished everything already and don't want to run it again" and "people who have not hit 170" so otherwise I would not be playing it right now

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Buy it from a non-Steam retailer and add the launcher to Steam so you can clog your activity feed with screenshots of Roegadyn in subligars and the localization team being awesome.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

bonewitch posted:

I was hype this morning because they said it would be harder than EX primals but we 3-shot or less every turn and cleared it 2 hours after the servers came up :smith:

I'm interested in what happens now that the main raid is raid finder in ff14. Will the population die because the game is too easy and the carrot on the stick is hanging to low?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

That's one hell of a sense of entitlement.

it's ok, i usually deserve the commend anyway.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Tenzarin posted:

I'm interested in what happens now that the main raid is raid finder in ff14. Will the population die because the game is too easy and the carrot on the stick is hanging to low?

We're getting the real raid in two weeks, NM Alex was supposed to be a story mode.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

bonewitch posted:

We're getting the real raid in two weeks, NM Alex was supposed to be a story mode.

Story mode is the real raid, in 2 weeks the harder difficulty comes out. I think its going to follow WoW as people won't want to wipe in the harder difficulty when they can just PF the lower difficulty.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Last question for now. Did they ease the leveling since the ARR launch? Back at launch the most efficient way to level subclasses was to get to the 40s or something and farm the heck out of that one FATE that spawned a million mobs that you could link xp chains non stop.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Etrips posted:

Last question for now. Did they ease the leveling since the ARR launch? Back at launch the most efficient way to level subclasses was to get to the 40s or something and farm the heck out of that one FATE that spawned a million mobs that you could link xp chains non stop.

Yes, very much so. Daily roulettes and challenge logs are a huge amount of XP.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

No, because unlike WoW there is more to do in this game besides raid.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I wonder how much easier stuff like T9 is going to be with new gear. A lot of the mechanics are hard wipes, and you're not going to have your 51-60 skills, but higher DPS numbers from better gear means you can push phases faster so you have to do the mechanics less.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Tenzarin posted:

As long as they keep introducing echo into the savage mode or whatever then most people should stay pretty happy.

It'll be hard enough to be fun but flexible enough that you don't have to be the hardest of hardcore to do content more challenging than ex primals

Like every difficulty in every game there's a sweet spot for each individual and so far the game has been pretty good at accommodating all groups

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

vOv posted:

I wonder how much easier stuff like T9 is going to be with new gear. A lot of the mechanics are hard wipes, and you're not going to have your 51-60 skills, but higher DPS numbers from better gear means you can push phases faster so you have to do the mechanics less.

50-sync'd will be exactly the same difficulty, at 60 and i180+ it would be hilariously easy

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

bonewitch posted:

50-sync'd will be exactly the same difficulty, at 60 and i180+ it would be hilariously easy

Oh yeah, I guess if it's 50-synced then it syncs your ilvl down to whatever as well.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
I just cleared Alex 1 and I'm glad that "you can't shoot us because we strapped a bunch of gunpowder to our backs!" worked exactly as well as it should have.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Eej posted:

Tank chest is Skill Speed Major, Parry minor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmMhzaF7puM

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

bonewitch posted:

You still have to manage meteors, elementals, and getting half the party knocked into the wall during divebombs is still bad

But you probably only get one DB phase and top tier dps can maybe even skip it entirely ?!

I think it'll remain significantly difficult well into the future synced or no. Bahamut on the other hand, I could see becoming absolutely trivialized through overgearing and Echo

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Welp I was all excited to do the first floor of Alexander and then after an hour my group vote abandoned because they couldn't do mechanics and pull adds into laser beams

now I get another 15 minute queue. serves me right for expecting new content in an MMO to go smoothly :toot:

(and because I know people in this thread are usually very nice and would offer to assist: I'm on Faerie :()

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

abraham linksys posted:

Welp I was all excited to do the first floor of Alexander and then after an hour my group vote abandoned because they couldn't do mechanics and pull adds into laser beams

now I get another 15 minute queue. serves me right for expecting new content in an MMO to go smoothly :toot:

(and because I know people in this thread are usually very nice and would offer to assist: I'm on Faerie :()

If it's any consolation a bunch of goons I was with crashed and burned on A2. We probably would have figured it out with another attempt, but that last wave repeatedly kicked our rear end until then.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

sir mix a broom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Omnicrom posted:

If it's any consolation a bunch of goons I was with crashed and burned on A2. We probably would have figured it out with another attempt, but that last wave repeatedly kicked our rear end until then.

What worked for us is that one tank got the... oh god what were they all called I've learned two floors since... one gets the mind/body dudes and the other gets the puppet and the armor dudes, and from there the division of tank labor falls into place easily. The armor dudes give a nasty debuff, mark them and focus them down with A1 priority.

• Locked thread