Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Bufuman posted:

I'd also like to point out that nearly every enemy in the final area of the Void is weak to water (though Behemoths will counter any magic with Meteor, so be careful with them).

Also the enemies in the cave area of the Rift are weak to Water as well.

Time to start a new run... Knight again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Quite a few enemies in the forest and castle area are weak to water as well, and so are the Dragon Aevises in the sky section. Leviathan is just grand in the final dungeon if you still need experience or ability points.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Wait.

Wait.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Get the Flame Shield instead of the Aegis Shield in the Forest of Moore

THERE'S AN AEGIS SHIELD IN THE FOREST OF MOORE? :psypop:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Dareon posted:

THERE'S AN AEGIS SHIELD IN THE FOREST OF MOORE? :psypop:

Yes, if you get the chest before you hop down the moogle hole, it is an Aegis Shield.

Unless you literally have no one that can use shields and want the larger payout of the Flame Shield, Always Grab The Aegis Shield The gently caress Is Wrong With You.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Okay, how the gently caress do I kill Sandworm with a Thief / Time Mage / Geomancer team?

I think I figured out his gimmick: if I attack the holes they counter with Demi, so I have to be careful what I actually strike. So !Terrain is right out, since it either calls out the swirly sand thing (can't remember what it's called) for a 2/3 chance of hitting the hole, or on rare occasions Sandstorms which hits all three enemies (Sandworm and both holes) for delicious double demi fun :shepicide:

So I have to take it down with physical attacks? My damage output simply isn't high enough to win the damage race, especially since the fucker has an attack that hits all party members for ~60 damage (a full 1/6 of their HP) and causes HP drain.

I'm really at my wits' end here.

Unless... I haven't checked, but does breaking rods work? If so I think I can tank some Demis if it means grinding his face down with rods.

(This is the most fun I've ever had playing a JRPG, by the way. I'm thoroughly enjoying this.)

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

There we go! Feels great :).

I tried to take the advice of grinding for another Thor's Hammer, but I just couldn't get one (so many Hero Drinks...). Ended up getting a few levels though, and after a while I said gently caress it, then I survived one Almagest and that was actually all that mattered. I drank all my Elixiers (only had 12), so the one drop from a Magic Dragon formation mattered in the end! Hooray!
Fun fact: !Throwing Excalipoor in the Mobile version deals ~350 damage. NOT COOL especially as it was at the last part which I needed to die stat before it would pull out nonsense. But a !Thrown Dragon Lance DOES 9999 to the Grand Cross part, that was cool.

Death Sickle supremacy. Managed to take down the front part (don't forget: Mobile version attacks always there, so that's a gigantic buff) steadily on her own with just a few extra Zeninages to help, while everyone was busy !Throwing poo poo at Almagest, then Grand Cross. Definitely worthwhile, even in the front row with Rune + Titan Axe.

For NED, I ended up equipping Throw! instead of Zeninage, to focus down the relevant parts better, it works out swimmingly. Other than that, having a Thief meant a lot of things:
a) Steal poo poo to throw, to sell and then throw, and maybe possibly to use?!?!???! yes, actually...Twin Lances. Wow, are those good.
b) Motherfucking Garula, but I did not actually grind...much (incidental while getting Mythril Knives).
c) !Mug is amazing because it's NOT Fight.
d) Artful Dodger on Berserker yo

Zeninage is like 90% of the use I got out of Samurai, but Ianuki is surprisingly good up until very late, too bad it's far too costly to toy around with in casual play. One of the best Job Master abilities, though.

!Throw ultimately won me the NED fight, but Dualwield on everyone but the Thief surely also helped, maybe. Did not abuse (or use even once) Image.

All in all, wonderful synergy except for the Samurai, but that was great to pick up the AOE dearth after Scrolls became useless for those few bosses that needed it.

I did all the Tablet quests because FFV is fun to play. I will not attempt Shinryu or (ha!) Omega. I am debating if I should now do a 750 run to get only new jobs or something else entirely. Or stop, because it's cool that I did this and there's more years.

Mobile version: auto-save (if you Continue) in every single room is the most amazing thing and if you were only reluctant because you don't have Save States, throw that overboard and get it, it loses very little quality of life in that regard, unless you're going for many rare steals or whatever (if Save States even help with those). No speed-up, of course, but FFV is well-paced enough, I think, and you get a surprising amount of auto-saves after cutscenes, so that's cool. Stuff that requires precision (buttons in the Meat Castle) are actually taken into account, and the game forces you onto a per-square movement grid that will auto-stop you after a step, that is very considerate. Pyramid is doable like that but still sucks a gigantic amount of raw sewage through a mummy's butthole.
If you get Berserker, play Mobile, no questions asked. A few things are changed, but mostly not hugely important ones, though I am far from an FFV expert, if you rely on really obscure poo poo, you may be disappointed (for example the Mirage Vest glitch...I don't know if it's fixed, but I would wager it is).

Also, I hate how they can't replicate Mode 7 at all, look at those ugly upscaled sprites! And the German translation is NES-era bad, holy poo poo.

That's all.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Mikl posted:

Okay, how the gently caress do I kill Sandworm with a Thief / Time Mage / Geomancer team?

I think I figured out his gimmick: if I attack the holes they counter with Demi, so I have to be careful what I actually strike. So !Terrain is right out, since it either calls out the swirly sand thing (can't remember what it's called) for a 2/3 chance of hitting the hole, or on rare occasions Sandstorms which hits all three enemies (Sandworm and both holes) for delicious double demi fun :shepicide:

So I have to take it down with physical attacks? My damage output simply isn't high enough to win the damage race, especially since the fucker has an attack that hits all party members for ~60 damage (a full 1/6 of their HP) and causes HP drain.

Unless... I haven't checked, but does breaking rods work? If so I think I can tank some Demis if it means grinding his face down with rods.

(This is the most fun I've ever had playing a JRPG, by the way. I'm thoroughly enjoying this.)

Rods hit hard enough to damage race him if you're otherwise out of ideas. Should take 3 or 4?

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

I thought you needed at least 3 controllable characters for the Eternal Calm strategy to work, but the Tycoon Sisters kept that robot on lockdown no problem. That was the smoothest Omega kill I've had in a fiesta.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Two hasted characters can lock down Omega, as long as there's a sufficient delay between their turns. Having three characters on Calm duty just makes it easier to time.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

maou shoujo posted:

If you can cast Cura, you can cast Confuse. Go to the Northern Mountain (where you fought Magissa before or Bahamut now), and confuse Gaelicats. They'll cast float on you.

Don't be like me and use a cottage before fighting him and losing float status. That was not a fun walk back and forth twice.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

AT LONG LAST

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Shinryu and NED make that a triple crown. Shinryu was taken down by using a Knight !Guarding and covering everyone and then pelting him with meteors and sword dances. NED was taken down using a great idea from blinking beacon nose: quick--> meteor--> meteor/elixir. Thanks dude, that helped boost my damage a ton and it might have taken me an embarassing amount of tries to figure that out myself.

I really enjoyed this. I had a good but not broken team and it made the game really fun to play.

I'm probably gonna sign up for another run once my victory registers, but not start it for another few days.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

What a time to be alive.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Knight | Ninja | Bard | Dancer

Time to sell all these Ethers.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Kyrosiris posted:

What a time to be alive.
Maximum power ITT.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!

Kyrosiris posted:

What a time to be alive.

why is it called sword dance if they can only wield knives :colbert:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Why is it called Great Dragon if it's not actually a dragon? It is not for us mere mortals to question the logic of Final Fantasy V.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Bad Seafood posted:

Maximum power ITT.

*critically hits the dancer, instantly killing him*

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Mikl posted:

I just finished W1 with a relatively low-offense team like yours (Monk / Time / Bard, a little bit harder hitting but not much) and you can beat anything* by just Hasting everyone and keeping up your HP with the Healing Staff. Basically this post is just to tell you to make sure and go get the Healing Staff.

*break rods for the Cannon though

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Bad Seafood posted:

Maximum power ITT.

It's actually a bit too much power if I go to 99 in all the bard songs, because it overflows to about 3500 damage. If NED didn't have any defense it'd pop for 9s, though.

I'll probably just leave Sinewy Etude out of my DBZ routine.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Zombies' Downfall posted:

*critically hits the dancer, instantly killing him*

Nice try.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Not a luxury I have access to in this run. :v:

Stratavarius
Nov 6, 2012
I heard that Mammons are on the roof of the castle section, near Twintania, but I haven't been seeing them in the GBA version. Am I in the wrong section, or do they not appear?

And if not, are there any other catchable monsters in world 3 that cast berserk? Trying for a triple crown, but I can't do it without a berserk !Catch.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Stratavarius posted:

I heard that Mammons are on the roof of the castle section, near Twintania, but I haven't been seeing them in the GBA version. Am I in the wrong section, or do they not appear?

I'm fairly sure that they'd be in the forest area, since they're trees and all.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Stratavarius posted:

And if not, are there any other catchable monsters in world 3 that cast berserk? Trying for a triple crown, but I can't do it without a berserk !Catch.
They're there, it's just a rare encounter.

Keep at it, they'll turn up eventually.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

OzFactor posted:

I just finished W1 with a relatively low-offense team like yours (Monk / Time / Bard, a little bit harder hitting but not much) and you can beat anything* by just Hasting everyone and keeping up your HP with the Healing Staff. Basically this post is just to tell you to make sure and go get the Healing Staff.

*break rods for the Cannon though

Already got it, thanks for the advice though!

Sandworm went down remarkably easily once I figured out breaking rods works on him. Maybe if I went back I could kill him without rods by tinkering a bit with my team, but gently caress that.

Also beat the following boss on the first try, the only thing I needed to do for that was attack-!Terrain-!Terrain-Heal, repeat as needed.

Currently rolling with:

Lenna - Geomancer with !Dimension and a Mage Masher in hand just in case, main job is to !Terrain trouble away, second job is to haste people as needed, third job is to lob potions/ethers around, fourth job is to stab enemies if she's got nothing better to do.
Fartz - Thief with Passages and Full Moon, equipped with Thief Glove. STEAL EVERYTHING, then attack.
Galuf - Time Mage with !Escape (just in case) and healing staff. Healbot first, haster second, rod breaker if needed.
Faris - Time Mage with !Terrain and Mage Masher - see Lenna for job description, with the added bonus of rod breaking for bosses.

Only three bosses left until #earth, I wonder what I'll get.

Stratavarius
Nov 6, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

They're there, it's just a rare encounter.

Keep at it, they'll turn up eventually.

Thanks, for anyone else using Beastmaster: Try quicksaving on the roof of the Twintania fight to force that encounter.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Stratavarius posted:

They're the 1/16 encounter, so just quicksave for them if you're not on the EU version. (efb)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Mikl posted:

Fartz - Thief with Passages and Full Moon, equipped with Thief Glove. STEAL EVERYTHING, then attack.

Doesn't Thief get Find Passages innately? Or was that something else they changed for the GBA release?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

No, you're right, Find Passage is innate to the Thief class. Equipping it does nothing.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

ultrafilter posted:

Doesn't Thief get Find Passages innately? Or was that something else they changed for the GBA release?

No, Passages is an innate.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Derp :downs: gotta replace that first thing next time I play, for some reason I was convinced it's not an innate :smith:

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Where's the best place to grind for xp in World 3? The final floor of the rift has enemies that don't give xp, it seems.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Depends a bit on your party lineup. What jobs do you have?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

3 berserkers and a samurai.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Jesus.

I guess the castle section of the rift would be your best bet. The enemies there give a lot of experience and aren't too difficult to kill if everyone's hasted. Just stay away from the Iron Giants, they punish normal attacks very harshly.

Stratavarius
Nov 6, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Where's the best place to grind for xp in World 3? The final floor of the rift has enemies that don't give xp, it seems.

Iron Giants in the Castle are worth 10k exp, and only use physicals and Hurricane.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Stratavarius posted:

Iron Giants in the Castle are worth 10k exp, and only use physicals and Hurricane.

And loving vivisect anyone that uses the Fight command - probably not the best for three zerks and their ronin buddy.

(They also use Rocket Punch :ssh:)

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Maybe I should just go through all the tablet dungeons then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I wouldn't recommend it, Fork Tower would be an absolute nightmare with this team. I really think the castle is the best place to grind, as long as you run away from the Iron Giants. Every other place either gives mediocre rewards, has enemies with lots of evasion, or enemies that counter normal attacks.

• Locked thread