Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VR Native American
May 1, 2009
Gun Saliva
Idea for a virtual reality game.

You start off in a real small but super well rendered apartment. You then put on a VR headset in the virtual apartment and play basic looking games and surf the web and there's some sort of cyberpunk hacking story.

You never leave the apartment until the end of the game but as you open the door to the outside your vision gets all swimmy and pixelated and you find out that the apartment was actually a simulation the whole time!

I think the game would really say something about our culture as viewed through the prism (or is it prison 0_0) of technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

cp91886 posted:

Nerds are obsessed with plot. This is why the discussion around every new popular TV show instantly devolves into an easter egg hunt over the tiniest of details and constant invoking of "chekov's gun" in the hopes of finding the key that links everything together. Background world-building, evocative imagery, character details are nothing but pieces of a puzzle plot. This is how people can get upset at the end of True Detective season 1 when Cthulhu didn't literally sprout from the ground and snap up Mcconaughey. Why evoke Lovecraftian imagery if not for some eventual plot reveal?

View things through this lens and "spoiler culture" begins to make sense too. If all that matters is the riddle then any speck of info really does ruin the whole thing.

What? If someone doesn't want to know the ending of something before seeing it, they are some weird nerd who only cares about solving the puzzle?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

cp91886 posted:

Nerds are obsessed with plot. This is why the discussion around every new popular TV show instantly devolves into an easter egg hunt over the tiniest of details and constant invoking of "chekov's gun" in the hopes of finding the key that links everything together. Background world-building, evocative imagery, character details are nothing but pieces of a puzzle plot. This is how people can get upset at the end of True Detective season 1 when Cthulhu didn't literally sprout from the ground and snap up Mcconaughey. Why evoke Lovecraftian imagery if not for some eventual plot reveal?

View things through this lens and "spoiler culture" begins to make sense too. If all that matters is the riddle then any speck of info really does ruin the whole thing.

I haven't seen this much straw in one place since I visited that straw farm two towns over!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

VR Native American posted:

Idea for a virtual reality game.

You start off in a real small but super well rendered apartment. You then put on a VR headset in the virtual apartment and play basic looking games and surf the web and there's some sort of cyberpunk hacking story.

You never leave the apartment until the end of the game but as you open the door to the outside your vision gets all swimmy and pixelated and you find out that the apartment was actually a simulation the whole time!

I think the game would really say something about our culture as viewed through the prism (or is it prison 0_0) of technology.

Make the graphics look like they're from 2002 and you have Austin's GOTY vote.

cp91886
Oct 26, 2005

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

What? If someone doesn't want to know the ending of something before seeing it, they are some weird nerd who only cares about solving the puzzle?

Didn't say anything about endings, I'm referring to the hypersensitivity over episode previews, casting, whining over things from the first 15 minutes being spoiled, etc. Stuff that out of context has no way of actually spoiling something.

Hakkesshu posted:

I haven't seen this much straw in one place since I visited that straw farm two towns over!

Even shows like Mad Men, whose plot was almost entirely inconsequential, had people spinning wild theories about what would happen based on nothing but a shirt somebody wore one time, because it couldn't just be imagery meant to evoke a time and place.

cp91886 fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 7, 2015

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Invictus posted:

Also, Ramagamma, the Batmanning is delayed until I'm done with the new Terraria patch.

gently caress Anime, I should finally play Terraria.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

cp91886 posted:

Even shows like Mad Men, whose plot was almost entirely inconsequential, had people spinning wild theories about what would happen based on nothing but a shirt somebody wore one time, because it couldn't just be imagery meant to evoke a time and place.

So what

cp91886
Oct 26, 2005

Most game writing sucks because it plays to that crowd

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
This conversation was too long for my interests, and so I did not read it.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Deadly Premonition is a mystery plot and it's the greatest (game) story ever told

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

cp91886 posted:

Most game writing sucks because it plays to that crowd

Most game writing sucks for a variety of reasons, not because some people like to overanalyze things.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Dark souls has the best video game story

Because it leveraged the medium rather than just telling you everything

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
bombcast is up, also there's breaking bad in two hours

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I hope Brad has learned from the Shuehi Yoshida video on how to beat that watchdog.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

"The best video game story never told" is still the best way I've heard Dark Souls described, and they're right. Putting some things together yourself about various, seemingly unconnected characters was super satisfying, and even just watching those lore/story/character videos is really interesting. It's crazy how much is in that game that's just kind of lying there, waiting for people to pick it up and put it together themselves.

\/\/ Midnight releases of the Beastcast do :colbert:

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
you cannae beat an early bombcast

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Dark Souls does a lot of neat environmental storytelling, but I do think there could perhaps be a more elegant way to convey explicit information that doesn't involve sticking esoteric text boxes onto every item you pick up.

I don't know what the alternative would be (if there even is a good one), but the more they do it the less novel it becomes.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Jeff on the Lobby!

Brinty
Aug 4, 2012
I don't understand Jeff's inability to play through SMW, You can just do the short route and finish it in like 10-15 minutes without any real effort.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
I want someone to tell a game story like Dark Souls but with literally zero words. Just all environmental storytelling, and if you can figure out lore from items it's because you found a sword in a place where people use axes or whatever, or because of insignias/maker's marks/colours. That would be pretty amazing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ramagamma posted:

gently caress Anime, I should finally play Terraria.

A few things: it starts slow. Your first priority over everything else is getting a better pickaxe, this applies throughout the game really; first thing you craft with new ores: a better pickaxe. You're vulnerable until you make armor, throw some wood armor on right off the bat to get some marginal defense. As you progress you'll get more and more maneuvering abilities, including grappling hooks(your first one most likely), dash boots, rocket boots, wings, portal guns, and other things. Don't be afraid to use a wiki, though the NPCs have been improved dramatically to hint at the next point of progress, they're not perfect. Always carry a lot of wood with you when going underground for torch and platform-making, as there's very little wood supply underground outside of abandoned buried buildings.

The bosses are pretty intense. Make sure you're prepared with healing potions, buffs, and good ranged weaponry, Shuriken are good for killing the Eye of Cthulhu. Dynamite your way to Shadow Orbs/the Crimson equivalent at the bottom of the massive Corruption/Crimson pits, they drop really good early game weapons when destroyed.

Most of this stuff is basic info, not related to things they've added in the last couple patches, I'm still discovering that stuff myself really. In my experience, from the 1.2 patch, a full playthrough to "beat" the game(I considered it beaten when I got further in the Frost Moon Invasion event than the developer himself did) took about 70ish hours without rushing. This patch supposedly doubled the content in the game, so it might be a 100+ hour game now??? Pretty ridiculous for a little over two bucks, you can probably find someone selling the 75% off copies still if need be, but even at full price it's ten bucks which is a downright steal.

edit: I really hope Jason goes through with that thing with Jeff in Terraria.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Higsian posted:

I want someone to tell a game story like Dark Souls but with literally zero words

they did, it came out in 2012, it was p good

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I like how the giant bomb crew always talks about how unrealistically low kickstarter goals skews consumers' expectations about game budgets, and when a couple kickstarters launch that actually have realistic goals, they react super negatively and immediately rebuke them.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So I should just skip to the e-mail secton?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

they did, it came out in 2012, it was p good

What, Journey? That game was p good. Pretty psyched about the 60 fps version, u bet I will double dip

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

What, Journey? That game was p good. Pretty psyched about the 60 fps version, u bet I will double dip

Wait you don't just automatically get this if you already bought it for PS3? gently caress that.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't think that is a thing that has ever happened in the history of the PS4 so no I don't know why you would

Edit: Actually I'm full of poo poo and you will apparently get it for free if you bought it on PS3 so that's super great

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Gamespot cashing in on the wildly growing Ryckert demographic.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Huh trackmania is pretty cool

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
"If I'm away from a game for a month there's a very low chance I'll ever come back to it."

Huh, you don't say Brad. No one's noticed.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

VDay posted:

"If I'm away from a game for a month there's a very low chance I'll ever come back to it."

Huh, you don't say Brad. No one's noticed.

Pretty much confirmed that he'll never get back to Witcher 3, which we all knew

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't think that is a thing that has ever happened in the history of the PS4 so no I don't know why you would

Edit: Actually I'm full of poo poo and you will apparently get it for free if you bought it on PS3 so that's super great

Almost every downloadable game that is out for PS3/PS4 has cross buy, dude. They usually work on Vita too. Glad to hear this one also has it.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Hakkesshu posted:

Pretty much confirmed that he'll never get back to Witcher 3, which we all knew

He just doesn't have time with all these games coming out like...

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Look, August is coming up and that's International time. After that well they're all dreading how close E3 is.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

Almost every downloadable game that is out for PS3/PS4 has cross buy, dude.

This is the first one that has it retroactively to my knowledge?

shas
Jul 27, 2011

so that Alexander raid in ffxiv, while not overly hard, is a ton of fun.

looking forward to the savage version i guess

doos
Jan 1, 2015

Captain Invictus posted:

Most of this stuff is basic info, not related to things they've added in the last couple patches, I'm still discovering that stuff myself really. In my experience, from the 1.2 patch, a full playthrough to "beat" the game(I considered it beaten when I got further in the Frost Moon Invasion event than the developer himself did) took about 70ish hours without rushing. This patch supposedly doubled the content in the game, so it might be a 100+ hour game now??? Pretty ridiculous for a little over two bucks, you can probably find someone selling the 75% off copies still if need be, but even at full price it's ten bucks which is a downright steal.

edit: I really hope Jason goes through with that thing with Jeff in Terraria.

I finally got to one of the 1.3 invasions, and they're pretty great. Like two minutes after we downed the Golem, we got invaded by Martians.

One of them gave me their keys.

Terraria's fantastic.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
lol at this run.

He loving did it.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
I voted yes in the poll, so you're welcome Brad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Defacto
Apr 21, 2010

Jesus christ that final form was intense to watch.

• Locked thread