Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Maybe I should just go through all the tablet dungeons then?

The problem is, to get to them you'd have to do Fork Tower which I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy with that team.

I'd almost say to murder the mobs in the Ruins part of the Rift - you're looking at roughly 350 XP a person per mob except for the Grenades, plus you have the healing pot in Mirage Stuck In Time to keep going with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

What's a good way to blind party members in world three without magic access? I want to be able to buff up my zerkers with !Sing before going to Neo Exdeath, but without Blind they'll probably just weedwhacker him before they reach MAXIMUM POWER.

Also does Omniscient cast reset in response to non magic used on the party or is it just himself? I'm playing the NA GBA version, if that affects anything.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Kyrosiris posted:

The problem is, to get to them you'd have to do Fork Tower which I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy with that team.

I'd almost say to murder the mobs in the Ruins part of the Rift - you're looking at roughly 350 XP a person per mob except for the Grenades, plus you have the healing pot in Mirage Stuck In Time to keep going with.

That's a good point, the ruins might be better than the castle. Less exp, but safer and with a healing pot nearby.

Edit:

Like Clockwork posted:

What's a good way to blind party members in world three without magic access? I want to be able to buff up my zerkers with !Sing before going to Neo Exdeath, but without Blind they'll probably just weedwhacker him before they reach MAXIMUM POWER.

Also does Omniscient cast reset in response to non magic used on the party or is it just himself? I'm playing the NA GBA version, if that affects anything.

Necrophobe, the last boss before Exdeath, casts Flash. Orukats (the freaky eye monsters in the cave section of the rift) can do that as well.

And Omniscient only counters abilities that are actually used on him, in every version.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 8, 2015

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

That might be my best bet, then.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体
Best thing to do with a Samurai is to experiment a little and find a place where you can reliably one-shot whole random battles with !Iainuki. Getting a little less EXP per battle would be worthwhile if you're finishing them in a single action.

(note to self: experiment with this next time I have a samurai available.)

Stratavarius
Nov 6, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

And loving vivisect anyone that uses the Fight command - probably not the best for three zerks and their ronin buddy.

(They also use Rocket Punch :ssh:)

Yeah, but Berserkers can't be confused. I'd figure that between shields and abilities/mantles they probably wouldn't have much of an issue with them. The only one I wouldn't be sure about is Takedown, since I don't know if you can evade/block that.

Then again, I've never tried to grind them for EXP either.

And yeah, I'd say that grinding near the Mirage Pot is probably better. Nothing should be a huge issue and you can replenish everything between battles.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Samuel Clemens posted:

I wouldn't recommend it, Fork Tower would be an absolute nightmare with this team. I really think the castle is the best place to grind, as long as you run away from the Iron Giants. Every other place either gives mediocre rewards, has enemies with lots of evasion, or enemies that counter normal attacks.
I just tried to grind a Thor's Hammer in the castle and got annoyed by the Iron Giants a lot, BUT: on the roof of the castle, outside before the throne room, there are actually no Iron Giants. Death Claws, Yojimbos, Ninjas (serious fuckers with an only physical team, but eh, I got Zeninage), those strange wizard dudes, Sword Dancers...and the occasional Mythril Dragon (last chance for Mighty Guard?!) as well as 3 Magic Dragons, 1 Revive-Hare and 1 Wolf, a formation from Exdeath's Castle which can drop you Elixiers.

Grind there!

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I think Iron Giants are vulnerable to instant death so you might have some luck with Death Sickles and/or Iainuki.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Stratavarius posted:

The only one I wouldn't be sure about is Takedown, since I don't know if you can evade/block that.

Negatory.

quote:

SPECIALTY: Swing Down
SPECIALTY EFFECT: 100% Hit + Pierce Defense

poo poo even goes through Blink/Mirage Vest and does a cool 1300 damage.

Nihilarian posted:

I think Iron Giants are vulnerable to instant death so you might have some luck with Death Sickles and/or Iainuki.

True, but then you have to contend with their 90% Magical Evasion (weapon procs are still subject to this).

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Stratavarius posted:

Yeah, but Berserkers can't be confused. I'd figure that between shields and abilities/mantles they probably wouldn't have much of an issue with them. The only one I wouldn't be sure about is Takedown, since I don't know if you can evade/block that.

Not only is Takedown unblockable, but I'm pretty sure it ignores defense as well. Fighting Iron Giants with Berserkers is a good way to get killed.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体
The only convenient way to grind on Iron Giants is with Odin. Ignore those things if you don't have a summoner.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Mystic Knights can do it as well with Break Blade. Of course, most teams with either a Mystic Knight or a Summoner don't need to grind in the first place.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Man, I had hoped level 50 would be high enough for my team to beat Neo Exdeath, but it's not even close. I'll have to do A LOT of grinding to beat it, and it sounds like there's no quick and easy way to do so.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Mikl posted:

Already got it, thanks for the advice though!

Sandworm went down remarkably easily once I figured out breaking rods works on him. Maybe if I went back I could kill him without rods by tinkering a bit with my team, but gently caress that.

Also beat the following boss on the first try, the only thing I needed to do for that was attack-!Terrain-!Terrain-Heal, repeat as needed.

Currently rolling with:

Lenna - Geomancer with !Dimension and a Mage Masher in hand just in case, main job is to !Terrain trouble away, second job is to haste people as needed, third job is to lob potions/ethers around, fourth job is to stab enemies if she's got nothing better to do.
Fartz - Thief with Passages and Full Moon, equipped with Thief Glove. STEAL EVERYTHING, then attack.
Galuf - Time Mage with !Escape (just in case) and healing staff. Healbot first, haster second, rod breaker if needed.
Faris - Time Mage with !Terrain and Mage Masher - see Lenna for job description, with the added bonus of rod breaking for bosses.

Only three bosses left until #earth, I wonder what I'll get.

Make sure you get the rare steal from the snake ladies (lamina?) in the earth crystal dungeon. If you roll dancer you really want that helmet.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer

Beat FF5 for the first time with this run! Bartz got Ranger, Reina a Dancer, Krile the Summoner, and Faris was my Blue Mage. Overall this party was really fun, and also pretty easy. I ended up beating Neo Exdeath at level 40. I did not attempt Omega or Shinryu.

A couple random thoughts from my run:

Ranger was a lifesaver! I had no direct healing spells (that I knew of) until I could Tempting Tango and get White Wind at the end of World 2. I relied on Nightingale for healing a lot. Sshot was a pretty drat great source of damage, especially after I got Yoichi's bow. Also, a surprising number of bosses are susceptible to that insta-kill bow. It always seemed to work at the best times.

Dancer was simultaneously amazing, and infuriating. My plan was to max a Chicken Knife, grab a rainbow dress, and Sword Dance my way to victory. Which worked well, but I swear Reina loved to Mystery Waltz more than anything. Tempting Tango was of course a great combo to have with the Blue Mage.

Summoner is flat out my new favorite class. Boosted Syldra is probably my favorite spell ever. I almost didn't get Phoenix, but decided to just for completionist sake. Little did I know that Phoenix was going to save my rear end. Carbunkle, and Golem are both amazing.

Blue Mage is great. White Wind is cheap, and very effective. Faris became my de facto healer in world 3 since she almost always had the highest HP, and enemies seemed to miss her. I'm not sure why I always skipped over Blue Mage in normal runs.

Neo-Exdeath wasn't too bad. I had 15 or 16 elixers going in, but only 3 phoenix downs. Algamest only killed Krile once, and she saved my rear end multiple times with a combination of elixers, the gold hairpin, and Phoenix afterwards. I'm very anxious to try jump into a new run, maybe something a little more challenging this time.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Man, I had hoped level 50 would be high enough for my team to beat Neo Exdeath, but it's not even close. I'll have to do A LOT of grinding to beat it, and it sounds like there's no quick and easy way to do so.

My 3 berserkers and a dancer did it at level 50, but it involved the use of ribbons to completely negate grand cross and abuse some save states, but really the non-berserker just acted as an elixirbot and the did magic lamp at the right time.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Asiina posted:

My 3 berserkers and a dancer did it at level 50, but it involved the use of ribbons to completely negate grand cross and abuse some save states, but really the non-berserker just acted as an elixirbot and the did magic lamp at the right time.

Samurai can't wear a ribbon though, which is a big problem.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Samurai can't wear a ribbon though, which is a big problem.

how much is zeninage doing? and are you on the snes version? if you are, there's a way to underflow anyone other than lenna's magic with a thornlet so they do 2-3k damage with the gaia hammer

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

It is doing 4500 to each piece per toss, and I'm playing the gba version.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

It is doing 4500 to each piece per toss, and I'm playing the gba version.

Maybe steal aegis shields for everyone?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Shwqa posted:

Maybe steal aegis shields for everyone?

With the thief's knife? Wouldn't that take a really long time to do?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

It's fairly outside odds (about 0.6% per swipe), but it can't hurt to try. Might get lucky.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体
And another #fartz rolls past the finish line, with a triple crown in hand.

Glad this run is done. Most battles were just a matter of autoattacking through, not running so I could get more EXP. I actually used the Berserk passive for the first time in this run because it boosted attack power and meant I didn't need to hold down A in randoms. I didn't even bother to remove it for half of the bosses in world 3. Gargoyles, Wendigo? Azulmagia, Catastrophe? Feh, I figured it out. We just need to him them really hard. Beastmaster cheeses both superbosses so might as get them too. Beastmaster and Monk mostly served as healbots versus Neo-Exdeath. HP+30% made it fairly straightforward and I won on the first try. (Not counting the emulator crashing on the first-first run. "zeroth" run if you will.)

Second run as another #regchaos will be starting once this gets verified.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

yeah, that'd be dismal. imo you should be looking at this as a samurai solo challenge. thanks to some real unfriendly bugs with the gba version the berserkers just aren't going to be able to contribute against neo unless you get lucky (there's two dummy targets in there that the zerkers can hit instead of neo, so their damage is spotty at best), so your samurai's the most important dude you've got. sulla was able to clear his samurai solo challenge at level 57, so worst case scenario you could kill the berserkers to increase the sam's exp gains and find somewhere you can one-shot most of the monsters with iainuki and grind up a few more levels. that sounds pretty tedious, though. the way i'd do the fight is to load up your sam with the masamune to get the first action, give him the best non bone mail armor you've got (unless you've got enough hp to survive a bone mail almagest with a healthy buffer, which you might), the aegis shield, and a set of hermes sandals. give the berserkers whatever, although give whoever has the highest innate magic (i forget if it's krile or lenna) the gaia hammer and any gear you've got that boosts magic.

as far as the battle goes, use your masamune turn to swap to the main gauche (you won't be physically attacking with the sam and you need to mitigate damage as much as possible) and use magic lamp odin to immediately kill the magic part. once that's done you're going to need ~11 zeninage to kill the other parts, minus whatever damage the zerkers do. the gaia hammer zerker should go off at least once or twice so that'll help a little (guessing 1000-1500 on everything per earthquake) and it's possible the lunkheads might do a bit of damage on their own before they die. priority 1 is keeping the samurai alive, priority two is throwing money. you might have to gain a couple levels but that's imo the best shot you've got

e: i'm a big dummy and forgot about tree death. same strategy but you're not going to get a guaranteed first turn on neo from the masamune, switch to the main gauche and kill the magic piece with your first real action on neo

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 8, 2015

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

My 4th job is Samurai. My first run was Black Mage / Red Mage / Ranger / Samurai. This one is Monk / Red Mage / Bard / Samurai.

So similar, yet so very different.

(Run is slowing down a bit though because I ended up joining in the challenge run thread.)

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

I started another random run. So far I got Monk and White Mage. Barehanded White Mage any good?

EDIT: yes. Yes they are.

D_W fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 8, 2015

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Another win, this time with blue/black/samurai/thief. I didn't do much in the way of grinding so I beat neo at lvl 27 which made him a little difficult even with such a strong crew as my level wasn't high enough for throwing money away to do much damage and I had to have mighty guard up to survive Algamest.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

blinking beacon nose
Nov 1, 2004

birthday frog comes bearing gifts and special birthday wishes
Run #2

Started a Chaos run. Wind crystal unlocked Geomancer, Water unlocked Samurai. Neither of those jobs are available to me right now, so I'm stuck with four Freelancers for a little while longer.

But, hey! They can equip anything!!

.. except for Abilities, because I don't have any. :v:

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体
Re:Chaos run started, and the wind crystal gives me... Blue Mage. I am so okay with this.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
So between Brave Blade, Mk, and now Beastmaster. I figured I could plan for a triple crown first playthrough, double minimum.

But then i realized I don't have any lightning magic. As in, I bought thunder and thundara, but they aren't in my magic menu under black or magic sword.

Is this a feature of Mobile, or a bug? I'd like to know before I continue.

Jueg01
Jan 26, 2015
Is the Fartz pledge still going? Because Fahtz clutched it with the Rune Axe, but I wasn't sure if the pledge was maxed or only applied to first time players.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Ha! My 3rd job is Black Mage. So I got Monk/White/Black this run.

Lemme guess my 4th will be Red Mage or Knight.

At least I can break all the rods now.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

D_W posted:

I started another random run. So far I got Monk and White Mage. Barehanded White Mage any good?

EDIT: yes. Yes they are.

Barehanded passes on Monk strength and the Monk fist damage formula, so it tears apart the first world and then becomes basically a stat stick to staple sharp pointy weapons onto after that.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Jueg01 posted:

Is the Fartz pledge still going? Because Fahtz clutched it with the Rune Axe, but I wasn't sure if the pledge was maxed or only applied to first time players.

It was only the first 50 , and that quota filled up fast. (Mine was too late for it even.)

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

KataraniSword posted:

Barehanded passes on Monk strength and the Monk fist damage formula, so it tears apart the first world and then becomes basically a stat stick to staple sharp pointy weapons onto after that.

Man, if I had any artistic ability, I would totally draw monk Fartz with some knives literally stapled to his hands.

Possibly with angry white mage Faris smacking him with the healing staff. :v:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

First run done! Easy jobs but it's been years since I played FFV so I'm happy about it.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Kyrosiris posted:

What a time to be alive.

I am a fan of your methods but feel they may be improved upon under certain conditions.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

First run done! Easy jobs but it's been years since I played FFV so I'm happy about it.
How'd the Omega kill work? Pray he doesn't use Encircle as a counterattack, and heal through everything else?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Whelp. Looks like thunder and thundara went missing. There goes my strategy for crawack or w/e its name is. We'll see if tech support does anything.

Oh well, I guess I'm powerful enough regardless of my next class and lack of lightning magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Mustard Iceman posted:

I am a fan of your methods but feel they may be improved upon under certain conditions.

I still have fond memories of my first run last year, where that exact same Lenna setup blocked an Almagest in the final battle that killed the other three characters, saving me from an instant party wipe and immediately setting to work on reviving everyone. I would eventually win that battle (and she'd go on to block the second and last Almagest for kicks, too).

• Locked thread