Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
bought a laptop stand for the foogers and it works far better than it has any right to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
dude thats pretty sick

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Tayter Swift posted:

bought a laptop stand for the foogers and it works far better than it has any right to

A lower angle but also useful: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60150176/ (BRÄDA Laptop support)

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
stand is this one which isnt cheap but still 20 bucks less than that loving metal sheet moog calls a rack

to do:

* rise the audio interface up, maybe use one of those acryllic display cubes they use for jewelry
* something to accommodate the analog four (that ikea stand may work, dunno)
* get a better set of monitors than that horrible klipsch -- it sounds descent enough but the interface is horrible
* eventually gonna get a beatstep pro, korg odyssey and maybe a system 1m so better put those somewhere
* actually make music

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
oh and some sort of padding on the ms-20 -- i found out the hard way that the sq-1 has two sharp screws on its bottom and now my 20 is all scratched up :/ put some electrical tape down but still

and maybe have this stuff on a desk pad or something rather than a god damned tablecloth?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
forgot I had this other box thing from ikea

get the gently caress in

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
four hundred and fifty loving milliamps for the privilege of having a scatter effect in your eurorack setup

lmao forever

http://www.roland.com/products/scooper/specifications/

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
a third the capacity of the linear supply doepfer uses in their 6 and 9U cases, half of uzeus

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
intellijel's atlantis, which is basically an entire sh-101 in a module, uses less than half of that

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i think its :3: that modular guys are like sperging out about linear power supplies, a poo poo trash technology that nobody serious in any other fields has used in 20 years

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Mr. Glass posted:

intellijel's atlantis, which is basically an entire sh-101 in a module, uses less than half of that

its the hell of not so micro microprocessors, with people crying for more digital fx and patch saving/recall (ftge) it's not going away anytime soon

Jonny 290 posted:

i think its :3: that modular guys are like sperging out about linear power supplies, a poo poo trash technology that nobody serious in any other fields has used in 20 years

i don't care about the psu tech as long as its quiet, i've got linear and switchers in my modular
dudes with too much money love big toroidal transformers that's why hinton sells hilariously over spec'd supplies and distribution with bus bars as thick as your wrist to idiots for megabucks
it's a good con jonny you should hit it up :getin:

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Jonny 290 posted:

Yeah, why on earth would people using analog, or linear, gear for high end, precision audio generation favor smooth, clean, linear, power sources?

so :3 dude, so :3

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

i use linear power supplies for my diy tube gear :corsair:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
i use electricity i generate by burning my own farts

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Startyde posted:

its the hell of not so micro microprocessors, with people crying for more digital fx and patch saving/recall (ftge) it's not going away anytime soon

MI Clouds: cortex m4 arm processor, 120mA
qu-bit nebulae: an entire loving raspberry pi, 320mA

wtf roland :wtc:

Mr. Glass fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 7, 2015

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sizone posted:

Yeah, why on earth would people using analog, or linear, gear for high end, precision audio generation favor smooth, clean, linear, power sources?

so :3 dude, so :3

Your gear isn't that precision, your music isn't that magical, and if you really gave a gently caress about audio fidelity you'd be running lead acid batteries

Switchers are fine as long as you hang some filtering off the rear end end. loving around with ten pounds of power transformer is extremely 1983

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
lead acid battery power source FTMFW

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
(i waste several hundreds of dollars worth of sealed lead acid batteries and accompanying solar charge equipment just to literally fart around on stupid hobby radio poo poo of zero legitimate importance, but, just saying....)

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Jonny 290 posted:

loving around with ten pounds of power transformer is extremely 1983

So is everything else about subtractive synthesis

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
fair enough

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Jonny 290 posted:

Except Stereo Amplifiers

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

atomicthumbs posted:

Except Stereo Amplifiers

ah yes, the one technical discipline that has managed to advance nothing technical and everything snake oil in the past thirty years

face it silverface pioneer was the zenith of home audio and everything since then has been boomers trying to recreate the emotions of their free lovin pot smokin youth with zep iv cranking through two speakers bigger'n you are, and sales bros trying to thin out the first crowd's wallets

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
you got 7.2 huh? well... *opens curtains, reveals a full 360 degree circle 200 feet in diameter of klipshorns* now what

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

ah yes, the one technical discipline that has managed to advance nothing technical and everything snake oil in the past thirty years

face it silverface pioneer was the zenith of home audio and everything since then has been boomers trying to recreate the emotions of their free lovin pot smokin youth with zep iv cranking through two speakers bigger'n you are, and sales bros trying to thin out the first crowd's wallets

that's why i have
  • marantz
  • bozaks

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Sniep posted:

you got 7.2 huh? well... *opens curtains, reveals a full 360 degree circle 200 feet in diameter of klipshorns* now what

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

is there some sort of ios app that will let me filter notes by key? im playing with midimorphosis and want to see if I can streamline my process

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBRgaLyWRQo
lol

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
always remember to poop before you demo

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
hmmmm I quite like the look of this yamaha reface dx thing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR47UZNwxlM

I'm a big fan of FM synths, but they're usually shite to edit. this seems pretty good. would be perfect (for me) if it was like a 2U rack synth instead, with the same interface. but whatevs. now, ofc, even more perfecter would be a huge synth with dedicated knobs and sliders for everything, but that's never going to happen.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Well, someone did make a giant board where all the parameters for DX7 could be set, like a hundred dials

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

Well, someone did make a giant board where all the parameters for DX7 could be set, like a hundred dials

yeahhhh, not really mass produced or anything that thooooooooooo. I've given up on hardware FM synths for the time being. sticking with abletons Operator for all my FM needs. rly good synth.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

It was Access before they became famous, if I'm not mistaken.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Granbar posted:

hmmmm I quite like the look of this yamaha reface dx thing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR47UZNwxlM

I'm a big fan of FM synths, but they're usually shite to edit. this seems pretty good. would be perfect (for me) if it was like a 2U rack synth instead, with the same interface. but whatevs. now, ofc, even more perfecter would be a huge synth with dedicated knobs and sliders for everything, but that's never going to happen.

I'm seeing two knobs, a track pad and a bunch of buttons. The only way that would be easier to program is if it had fewer parameters. Man the gently caress up, buy a tg-77 or even a tx81z and get a software programmer.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

Sizone posted:

I'm seeing two knobs, a track pad and a bunch of buttons. The only way that would be easier to program is if it had fewer parameters. Man the gently caress up, buy a tg-77 or even a tx81z and get a software programmer.

used to have a tx81z, but kept getting midi buffer overrides whenever I tried to control it from software or a bcr2000 so no thx bro.

if you watch how he actually edits it you'll see those four touch sliders combined with function buttons actually work p well. a lot better than 'press ^ a million times to change a value from 0 to 127'.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

i think it's cool and good that they put macro edit buttons on there, it's like the old k5000s or the fm/pcm home keyboards yamaha put out and they were smart enough to leave menu diving for us gross nerds
hate those dumb gently caress touch pad things though god drat

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Granbar posted:

used to have a tx81z, but kept getting midi buffer overrides whenever I tried to control it from software or a bcr2000 so no thx bro.

if you watch how he actually edits it you'll see those four touch sliders combined with function buttons actually work p well. a lot better than 'press ^ a million times to change a value from 0 to 127'.

Wow, a promotional demo video made some look like it works p well. I'm sure that's an absolute poo poo interface once you try and edit envelopes or do anything with algorithm routing. Maybe get another tx81z and learn how to set up midi delay and timeout correctly. Or get a tg77 which can be programed comfortably from the front panel.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
yes man up stop wasting your time w/ a silly little woman synth

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

Sizone posted:

Wow, a promotional demo video made some look like it works p well. I'm sure that's an absolute poo poo interface once you try and edit envelopes or do anything with algorithm routing.

I don't think so. it looks good.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Granbar posted:

I don't think so. it looks good.

I hope you're right.

wayfinder posted:

yes man up stop wasting your time w/ a silly little woman synth

more like, don't set yourself up for disappointment over something which my gut feeling tells me is going to be really disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

Sizone posted:

more like, don't set yourself up for disappointment over something which my gut feeling tells me is going to be really disappointing.

not like I'm gonna run out and buy one anyway, price at the end of the vid says £379 which is too much for this. but if it's as good as I hope it is, I'll get a used one for cheap-o in a years time.

• Locked thread