Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Just give me a Necrodome source port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Now all I need is Lose Your Marbles with a working midi BGM and my life as a 90s kid will be relived :allears:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

arcsig posted:

That doesn't necessarily mean we don't need a source port, though. I mean even if Doom.exe still ran on modern windows, people would still play GZDoom.

Because there's modding support in the Doom engine which really ain't there for Hover. I think I saw someone who hacked up new Hover levels back in 2001 for it but I don't have them anymore.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Commander Keenan posted:

Just give me a Necrodome source port.

Oh yes. I'm actually eyeing an auction with boxed copy of Necrodome, and checked if my old ThinkPad with XP SP3 runs it, and while it runs, the inputs have horrible lag and there's something wrong with palette. While I'm preparing an old Pentium 133mhz with Windows 98 just for those janky early 3D Windows games, I'd really love to see a sourceport... or a proper re-release, because the game's quite rare.

Also, speaking of rare games and Raven - did anyone here played Shadowcaster for longer period of time?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So Adventures of Square could be an actual commercial release?

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Yes.
The Doom community is cock full of imaginative people and insanely good wad authors, I'm really interested in seeing what else people come up with.

Not gonna lie, I'd pay cash money for anything Xaser or Weasel make. :v:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I want a full release of Project MSX with it's own space enemies and levels designed around nuke punching and that stuff.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

The cynic in me says the first thing that'd be sold is a mapset with Brutal Doom built-in, featuring heavily-reworked art assets.

Although given how slow FreeDoom's gotten its art assets in gear, this cynicism is probably misplaced.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I want a Doom 3 source port

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

laserghost posted:

Also, speaking of rare games and Raven - did anyone here played Shadowcaster for longer period of time?

I remember Shadowcaster when I was young. I don't remember much (I never played it, but my dad did), but I remember thinking it was so awesome. I'd love to play it at some point.

TerminusEst13 posted:

The Doom community is cock full of imaginative people and insanely good wad authors, I'm really interested in seeing what else people come up with.

I assume you mean "chock" here, but I'll accept this as a much needed evolution of the English language.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Jordan7hm posted:

So Adventures of Square could be an actual commercial release?

I was kinda hoping it would be! It'd totally pay $10-15 for a full length version.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Segmentation Fault posted:

I want a Doom 3 source port

Doom 3 BFG Edition?

Also someone is actually making one for Android for some goddamn reason.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVwM7tsQRqM

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 7, 2015

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Guillermus posted:

I want a full release of Project MSX with it's own space enemies and levels designed around nuke punching and that stuff.

Yeah, so many gameplay mods are just begging for official map-packs. Really quite interesting to see how the Brutal Doom official pack is split up - standalone maps, mini-episodes or what?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Hover on 386 was like a slideshow. That's my story.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
So I was unpacking stuff today and:

http://fishmech.info/DOOMMAN.7z

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 8, 2015

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Elliotw2 posted:

Doom 3 BFG Edition?

preferrably a source port that isn't designed to keep modding out with really dumb streamed resource implementation and cutting out all the important aspects that make modding for it work.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 8, 2015

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
DOOMMAN

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

That's the MS-DOS volume title!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > The Early FPS Megathread - The Good Great DOOM Game * *

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

6 add-on music/audio :allears:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Nintendo Kid posted:

That's the MS-DOS volume title!

It's on the CD.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
7 different New Graphics! Wow! Half of them appear to be Barney judging by the cover. Truly a Good Great CD-Disc!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I wonder if the ill-fitting "random movie quotes for sounds" wad is on there?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

6 add-on music/audio :allears:

Not in, on. I.e. type D: or whatever your cd drive's letter was.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I hope butthead.wad is on there

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Nintendo Kid posted:

So I was unpacking stuff today and:
http://fishmech.info/DOOMMAN.7z
I would link http://archive.org/details/cdrom-doom-mania/ but it isn't loading

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

Not in, on. I.e. type D: or whatever your cd drive's letter was.

Oh, I know what it meant, I just have never heard of "logging" on or in to a CD. Not even the AOL ones.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Okay finally got around to reinstalling Quake and setting up Quakespasm and so far it's working really well, I'll eventually need to get around to grabbing some additional SP addons(like that one X-Men Total Conversion) and installing those Quake Expansions I bought last month as well after I beat the Campaign(and maybe the Mission Packs as well)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Oh, I know what it meant, I just have never heard of "logging" on or in to a CD. Not even the AOL ones.

It's an archaic term for "changing your working directory" or whatever. Like, really more appropriate for a CD release in maybe 1984 instead of 1994.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
:corsair:

I've missed that feeling of being lost in a FPS level. Can't derail in a mordern FPS.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Klaus88 posted:

:corsair:

I've missed that feeling of being lost in a FPS level. Can't derail in a mordern FPS.

While I don't like being railroaded(unless it's done in a cool manner), I'm definitely not a fan of getting lost in old FPS's, although Doom(and other idTech 1 games) is the only one I've played recently that that becomes a big issue on a regular basis(Quake so far in comparison is a lot simpler in it's map layouts)

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I distinctly recall seeing games use the term "on-line" and getting paranoid about it starting up ye olde dial-up modem to connect to some site online on the Internet, and thus avoiding its usage because I wasn't allowed to use the Internet at that point.

Then looking back on it, a lot of those things they used "on-line" for weren't really online at all. Like anything made by Sierra when they were pushing some "Sierra On-Line" stuff (eg: Lode Runner Online - which does have online components, but isn't an online-only game like, say, TF2 was before Valve added bots to it, and in fact has a whole game's worth of offline content).

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

Colon Semicolon posted:

preferrably a source port that isn't designed to keep modding out with really dumb streamed resource implementation and cutting out all the important aspects that make modding for it work.

Isn't iodoom3 source port or am I missing something?

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I think playing ProDoomer on the second hardest difficulty was a bad idea. The game is really horribly balanced. I have to savescum so much to get through encounters now because enemies do so much damage. I'm at Level 20, and most enemies kill me in 1-2 hits with 300 Health and 200 Armor.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yeah the scaling in Prodoomer is garbage, I stopped playing at about level 12 when I noticed the same general issue. Your maximum health scales up, and so does enemy damage, but the effectiveness of healing items doesn't so it doesn't actually matter and you just end up tediously abusing the free armor spell over and over.

For some reason I did push my way through the horrible level with a million archers in a flatly lit forest. The archers never miss and do a hundred damage each and can see you from across the map; meanwhile, there's all this "tall grass" by way of cheap-looking fake walls so you can't see anything. You have to save scum in Prodoomer.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
There are doom wads that hate the player.

There are doom wads that hate the player and everything he stands for.

There are doom wads that loathe the mere idea of the player's exsistance.

Then there's map 07 of the doom 2 in name only wad. :stare:

This level will travel 7 generations back to wipe out your entire family line it hates you that much. :psypop:.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Shadow Hog posted:

I distinctly recall seeing games use the term "on-line" and getting paranoid about it starting up ye olde dial-up modem to connect to some site online on the Internet, and thus avoiding its usage because I wasn't allowed to use the Internet at that point.

Then looking back on it, a lot of those things they used "on-line" for weren't really online at all. Like anything made by Sierra when they were pushing some "Sierra On-Line" stuff (eg: Lode Runner Online - which does have online components, but isn't an online-only game like, say, TF2 was before Valve added bots to it, and in fact has a whole game's worth of offline content).

Holy poo poo, I used to think the same thing :hfive:

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Klaus88 posted:

Then there's map 07 of the doom 2 in name only wad. :stare:

This level will travel 7 generations back to wipe out your entire family line it hates you that much. :psypop:.
The only thing that map hates is the player's time as it's full of large areas that outstay their welcome.

For the most part it's a flat, unchallenging grind where you clear out useless enemy snipers and power through the sparse resistance that crosses your path. This is interspersed with the occasional ambush by a single vile or small cluster of mid-tier enemies, usually triggered by a switch.

The area filled with revenants on various outcroppings felt like cleaning up the last stragglers in a slaughter map. The different key wings of the map could be visually confusing and difficult to navigate, but ultimately formed a linear path with the player only ever being attacked from one angle - usually head on - with plenty of safe space to retreat to.

It's not all bad though. The claustrophobic multiple arch-vile fight towards the end was decent and the final fight finally puts you back in a dangerous crossfire situation. But these moments are ultimately not worth the 20 minutes of rocket spam and plodding navigation through the maze of triangles. There are plenty of excellent maps out there that are deeply hostile to the player's existence without the tedious fluff.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
I'm trying to set up gzdoom so it begins each level from a pistol start for anthology megawads like 10sector and 1024. I tried creating a mapinfo that does a resetinventory and resethealth for each level, and that much works, but now all my maps are missing skyboxes. I'm new to this so I don't really know what I'm doing, any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arcsig
May 29, 2015

E: Nevermind