Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

From Terminator Salvation: The Final Battle #6, part of a 12-issue series where JMS basically makes lemonade out of the rancid lemons of Terminator Salvation and brings closure to the Terminator franchise (AND ACTUALLY FINISHES ON TIME!). It's the future and John Connor just sent Kyle Reese to the 80's. Now he and the resistance reprogrammed a T-800 to send back to the early 90's.

:unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Gavok posted:

From Terminator Salvation: The Final Battle #6, part of a 12-issue series where JMS basically makes lemonade out of the rancid lemons of Terminator Salvation and brings closure to the Terminator franchise (AND ACTUALLY FINISHES ON TIME!). It's the future and John Connor just sent Kyle Reese to the 80's. Now he and the resistance reprogrammed a T-800 to send back to the early 90's.

I now know why you post inspiring panels, but it is something I can never do.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Phylodox posted:

The former.

Thank you for remembering my hellhole. That's my own heartwarming moment. :unsmith:

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Gavok posted:

So what are the next 6 issues going to be? About the new film?

*runs to find first 6*

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Cassa posted:

So what are the next 6 issues going to be? About the new film?

*runs to find first 6*

No, the series ended about a year ago. It has nothing to do with Genisys.

Oddly enough, there's zero reference to the T-1000 or T-X in it. I wonder if it's a legal thing. Especially since they include some T3 stuff in the plot like John's knowledge that he'll one day be killed by an Arnold-looking Terminator.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

What about the T-1000000?

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

What about the T-1000000?

Not having paid attention to the franchise in quite some time, I don't know if this is a joke I should go with by posting shocked Vegeta or if you're serious.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ManiacClown posted:

Not having paid attention to the franchise in quite some time, I don't know if this is a joke I should go with by posting shocked Vegeta or if you're serious.

quote:

The T-1000000, also referred to as the T-Meg, was a gigantic spider-like Nonthank-Humanoid Hunter Killer entirely made ofmimetic polyalloy as the T-1000. It defendedSkynet's central core from attack.

The T-1000000 is apparently not capable of mimicking subjects as the Series 1000 Terminator can, but instead metamorphosises from an apparently solid part of Skynet's central core to a default arachnid configuration capable of forming stabbing, slashing weapons from each of its eight legs.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

ManiacClown posted:

The T-1000000 (or T-Meg) is absolutely a thing. It was from the old T2 Universal Studios ride.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

ManiacClown posted:

Basically Skynet's defense system at a system core, to defend it against direct infantry assault, not a stand-alone unit.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gavok posted:

No, the series ended about a year ago. It has nothing to do with Genisys.

Oddly enough, there's zero reference to the T-1000 or T-X in it. I wonder if it's a legal thing. Especially since they include some T3 stuff in the plot like John's knowledge that he'll one day be killed by an Arnold-looking Terminator.

Funnily enough, the 'in theory' bit is very similar to a running gag the T-800 has in the new movie.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

There's something intensely satisfying about closing off a time loop like that in a story.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Gavok posted:

Especially since they include some T3 stuff in the plot like John's knowledge that he'll one day be killed by an Arnold-looking Terminator.
Yeah, in a movie full of absolutely dumb poo poo, that pretty much came close to taking the shitcake.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
There's more pathos in those pages than in pretty much everything T3-onward. :unsmith:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Its on sale for comixology right now! 8 bucks for 1-12

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah, in a movie full of absolutely dumb poo poo, that pretty much came close to taking the shitcake.

Right. The explanation in the movie makes John seem like a gigantic idiot. Double the idiot if you consider it a time loop thing because he'd be all, "Oh, wow! It's the exact same Terminator from when I was a kid, back from the dead somehow! Oh, God, he's killing me! Just like he told me he would years ago! Why did I let my guard down despite knowing exactly what would happen?!"

The comic removes the part about letting his guard down because of nostalgia. John simply knows that at some point, he's going to be murdered by that very Terminator who will then go on to be reprogrammed and sent back in time to protect him right before Judgment Day happens. JMS takes that idea and goes in an unexpected direction that works out.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
But if he doesn't let the T-800 kill him, then it can't be captured and reprogrammed to save him before Judgement Day! That, children, is why I hate time travel :v:
That said, I need to get my mitts on this comic, holy poo poo.

As for this, I don't know about inspiring, but definitely touching. I don't know the source, but apparently Disney is making new Star Wars comics and filling in the blanks between movies:

... Though it is marred a little bit by that face.

:froggonk:

E: I can't help but be amused at Boba Fett all "Well if you're not gonna talk to me I'm going to my room :mad:"

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 7, 2015

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
That would have been so much better had he yelled "NO!" at some point.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Angry as gently caress, so much that you can barely contain your magic telekinesis and you crack the poo poo out of the windows that lead to outer loving space is metal a gently caress.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Rhyno posted:

Angry as gently caress, so much that you can barely contain your magic telekinesis and you crack the poo poo out of the windows that lead to outer loving space is metal a gently caress.

Yeah I love that it shows that Vader is still incredibly powerful in The Force, but since he rarely needs to use it he doesn't come off as all flashy like a lot of Force users are, so when Vader does cut loose it becomes truly terrifying

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah I love that it shows that Vader is still incredibly powerful in The Force, but since he rarely needs to use it he doesn't come off as all flashy like a lot of Force users are, so when Vader does cut loose it becomes truly terrifying

I will always hate the prequels for changing how we saw Jedis move and fight. Mostly Im angry that Lucas saw the second Matrix film and decided that was how he wanted his fight scenes to look.

Vader, slowly walking towards you and huge chunks of the hallway start tearing loose and flight right up in your face, that's how the force should look.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

I will always hate the prequels for changing how we saw Jedis move and fight. Mostly Im angry that Lucas saw the second Matrix film and decided that was how he wanted his fight scenes to look.

Vader, slowly walking towards you and huge chunks of the hallway start tearing loose and flight right up in your face, that's how the force should look.

I don't totally hate the acrobatic fights, In the hands of a better filmmaker I think they'd be really fuckin' cool, but making every Jedi and Sith (Yoda & Palpatine especially) flippy bastards was absolutely the wrong move.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Alacron posted:

I don't totally hate the acrobatic fights, In the hands of a better filmmaker I think they'd be really fuckin' cool, but making every Jedi and Sith (Yoda & Palpatine especially) flippy bastards was absolutely the wrong move.

I think maybe one flippy Jedi would have worked. But the stupid posturing they all did right before the final battle of Ep 2 just reeks of Neo and his KUNG FU.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yoda being flippy I'm actually down with. And I think the Duel of the Fates sequence is awesome (pretty much the only part of TPM worth watching, except mmmmaybe the pod-race, but even then you're better off playing the video game)

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

drrockso20 posted:

I remember reading somewhere a long time ago that Vader's various cybernetic implants that help keep him alive and mobile (his respirator and limbs, mostly) also greatly cut down on his ability to use the Force.

So when you see scenes like this, it really serves to underscore just how insanely strong in the Force he is, even with his handicap.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

W.T. Fits posted:

I remember reading somewhere a long time ago that Vader's various cybernetic implants that help keep him alive and mobile (his respirator and limbs, mostly) also greatly cut down on his ability to use the Force.

So when you see scenes like this, it really serves to underscore just how insanely strong in the Force he is, even with his handicap.

There are some Force abilities he outright cannot use because of his implants. He can't use Force Lightning like Palpatine does, for instance, because both of his arms were lopped off and replaced. I assume it's a similar deal for Force Speed, on account of his legs being the same way.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 8, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

W.T. Fits posted:

I've read that as well, it's one of the few EU things that i actually like.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Malachite_Dragon posted:

There are some Force abilities he outright cannot use because of his implants. He can't use Force Lightning like Palpatine does, for instance, because both of his arms were lopped off and replaced. I assume it's a similar deal for Force Speed, on account of his legs being the same way.

Actually, I'd read that it was because of his respirator that he can't use Force Lightning (doing so would cause it to short out, like it did at the end of Jedi when he grabbed the Emperor and threw him into the reactor). Also that his artificial limbs are heavier than they should be, such that he needs to use the Force just to move around normally; being forced to do that keeps him from being able to use his full potential in the Force for other tasks. And this was all deliberately done by the Emperor as safeguards to keep Vader from turning against him.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

W.T. Fits posted:

Actually, I'd read that it was because of his respirator that he can't use Force Lightning (doing so would cause it to short out, like it did at the end of Jedi when he grabbed the Emperor and threw him into the reactor). Also that his artificial limbs are heavier than they should be, such that he needs to use the Force just to move around normally; being forced to do that keeps him from being able to use his full potential in the Force for other tasks. And this was all deliberately done by the Emperor as safeguards to keep Vader from turning against him.

Huh. I thought it was because of the limbs... Admittedly I don't recall where I read all that, but it's all interesting as gently caress nonetheless!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

W.T. Fits posted:

Done by the emperor? Didn't Obi Wan cut off Vader's arms and legs? Or are you saying the emperor is tricking Vader into using heavier substance artificial limbs to slow him down?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Drifter posted:

Done by the emperor? Didn't Obi Wan cut off Vader's arms and legs? Or are you saying the emperor is tricking Vader into using heavier substance artificial limbs to slow him down?

The cybernetics the Emperor had his people install on Vader were deliberately designed to hamper Vader's ability to use the Force, enough that it would be difficult for Vader to turn against the Emperor but still leaving him strong enough to be useful as the Emperor's enforcer.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

W.T. Fits posted:

being forced to do that keeps him from being able to use his full potential in the Force for other tasks.

Who could have forseen such a forced pun?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Captain Bravo posted:

Who could have force-een such a forced pun?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Alacron posted:

Yeah it can be handled well as seen in the two Clone Wars mini-series that Genndy Tartakovsky did between AOTC and ROTS

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Alacron posted:

I still remember seeing Attack of the Clones 13 years ago, seeing Yoda and Dooku warm up and thinking "ok now this is when Yoda is gonna bring out some awesome new Force poo poo we've never even seen before right?" and then "nope lol bouncy balls 4 lyfe!"

:sigh:

Star Wars made me happy once.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

mind the walrus posted:

I still remember seeing Attack of the Clones 13 years ago, seeing Yoda and Dooku warm up and thinking "ok now this is when Yoda is gonna bring out some awesome new Force poo poo we've never even seen before right?" and then "nope lol bouncy balls 4 lyfe!"

:sigh:

Star Wars made me happy once.

I went to the midnight premiere. The second Yoda and Dooku start fighting the film burnt so it goes to white. It took like 2 seconds for everyone to realize what had happened right around the time the screen next to us (also showing it) is playing just fine and you can hear everyone losing their minds. So everyone in our starts losing their minds over the movie burning and missing what (sounds) like an incredible fight.

We had to wait for the other showing to end so they could use those reels and show us the ending. Imagine the disappointment of seeing what was after managing to get even more hyped up, trying to fill the blanks, then waiting 30 more minutes.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

W.T. Fits posted:

The cybernetics the Emperor had his people install on Vader were deliberately designed to hamper Vader's ability to use the Force, enough that it would be difficult for Vader to turn against the Emperor but still leaving him strong enough to be useful as the Emperor's enforcer.

So Vader's pretty much Cable? That explains a lot.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I went to the midnight premiere. The second Yoda and Dooku start fighting the film burnt so it goes to white. It took like 2 seconds for everyone to realize what had happened right around the time the screen next to us (also showing it) is playing just fine and you can hear everyone losing their minds. So everyone in our starts losing their minds over the movie burning and missing what (sounds) like an incredible fight.

We had to wait for the other showing to end so they could use those reels and show us the ending. Imagine the disappointment of seeing what was after managing to get even more hyped up, trying to fill the blanks, then waiting 30 more minutes.

How is that even possible, I thought they made all the theaters play it digitally?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Most theaters weren't digital at all back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Drifter posted:

How is that even possible, I thought they made all the theaters play it digitally?

I believe you had to play it digitally on at least one screen but as long as you did that you could get regular reels. It was basically a ploy to get digital's foot in the door.