Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Bort Bortles posted:

Does anyone know if certain countries are hardcoded to be a certain religion? As the Ottomans I went to great pains to take the Sicilian-cultured Neapolitan-cores from Aragon in time to convert them then release Naples as my Muslim vassal in Sicily, to feed the rest of Naples to. However, after all of this effort, I went to release Naples and they were released as a Catholic.
Unless you convert all (most? I don't remember the words used in the patch notes), released nations will have the same religion as they did before they were annexed. Since they were Catholic before, they remain Catholic now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Naples is reformed in my austria game

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Bort Bortles posted:

Does anyone know if certain countries are hardcoded to be a certain religion? As the Ottomans I went to great pains to take the Sicilian-cultured Neapolitan-cores from Aragon in time to convert them then release Naples as my Muslim vassal in Sicily, to feed the rest of Naples to. However, after all of this effort, I went to release Naples and they were released as a Catholic.

Good god. My poor braincells. What have I done?

I've noticed with recent patches that that no longer works, so I try and pull a force religion during war if I need someone to be my religion before vassalizing.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Bort Bortles posted:

I'm not sure I would say hardcoded, but they do have a default religion applied in the country definitions.
code:
government = feudal_monarchy
technology_group = western
religion = catholic
primary_culture = neapolitan
capital = 121 # Napoli
This can be changed over time, but unless they changed before they were annexed they will be this when they are released.

If you have gone to the 1.13 beta patch this is no longer the case, and is a bug

1.13 patch notes posted:

Which religion a released country/vassal gets is now based on the majority religion in their core provinces (with previous religion counting as 50% larger than it actually is).

edit: fixed broken tables.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PittTheElder posted:

Unless you convert all (most? I don't remember the words used in the patch notes), released nations will have the same religion as they did before they were annexed. Since they were Catholic before, they remain Catholic now.
I have 100% of their provinces I will be releasing converted to Sunni, buuuut...

Tsyni posted:

I've noticed with recent patches that that no longer works, so I try and pull a force religion during war if I need someone to be my religion before vassalizing.
You cannot force someone to go Catholic => Sunni

sloshmonger posted:

I'm not sure I would say hardcoded, but they do have a default religion applied in the country definitions.
code:
government = feudal_monarchy
technology_group = western
religion = catholic
primary_culture = neapolitan
capital = 121 # Napoli
This can be changed over time, but unless they changed before they were annexed they will be this when they are released.

If you have gone to the 1.13 beta patch this is no longer the case, and is a bug

1.13 patch notes posted:

Which religion a released country/vassal gets is now based on the majority religion in their core provinces (with previous religion counting as 50% larger than it actually is).
Ahhhh gently caress me then. All of their cultural cores are still Catholic :(

I guess I could release Sicily and force-feed them Neapolitan cores, but that will generate AE :sigh:

Or deal with it and have a Catholic vassal. Hrm.

edit: thanks for all the replies gentlemen!

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Just checked and it's every province, ouch... And you can't use the subject interaction to convert them for 50% liberty desire. That seems pretty harsh :(

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
EDIT: Should have refreshed the thread.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
How in the hell do you get off the ground as Lucca? I can't get a single start that doesn't involve one of the things happening:

1) Allying with Milan and/or Savoy to take down Ferrara or maybe Florence if I'm lucky, but they end up being called to other wars and overrun (army wise) before I can finish mine and I can't support the troops to even siege the capitals of either nation.

2) Allying with the Papal States and being shut down from expanding because it's considered a "Great Power" by France/Austria/Hungary and eventually getting crushed by dealing with the HRE land penalty (since I can't get Austria above the point where they don't ask) and the eventual encroachment of someone (Aragon, France, etc).

3) Allying with someone to take down Genoa but then losing the stepping stone into Asia as Crimea, Circassia or someone will take the opportunity to grab Genoa's holdings over there before I can get rid of the truce timer from picking up Scio.

nessin fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 7, 2015

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

is accepted culture based on total develoopment or just basetax? I'm trying to get Punjabi accepted as Persia.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

nessin posted:

How in the hell do you get off the ground as Lucca? I can't get a single start that doesn't involve one of the things happening:

1) Allying with Milan and/or Savoy to take down Ferrara or maybe Florence if I'm lucky, but they end up being called to other wars and overrun (army wise) before I can finish mine and I can't support the troops to even siege the capitals of either nation.

2) Allying with the Papal States and being shut down from expanding because it's considered a "Great Power" by France/Austria/Hungary and eventually getting crushed by dealing with the HRE land penalty (since I can't get Austria above the point where they don't ask) and the eventual encroachment of someone (Aragon, France, etc).

3) Allying with someone to take down Genoa but then losing the stepping stone into Asia as Crimea, Circassia or someone will take the opportunity to grab Genoa's holdings over there before I can get rid of the truce timer from picking up Scio.

How long are you waiting for opportunities to develop? If you're a big country like Castile or France or even a mid-range power like Brandenburg, you've usually got easy pickings nearby you can attack in 1444 or 1445 unless they get killer alliances, but if you're an OPM you really need to wait for an opportunity to strike, like Ferrara/Florence getting into offensive wars (or allied defenses) and getting beaten on. Of course, as you hinted above, the catch there is that you need to hurry the heck up and stop being an OPM so that a mid-range power or a big country won't decide that you're a tasty morsel to eat.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

PrinceRandom posted:

is accepted culture based on total develoopment or just basetax? I'm trying to get Punjabi accepted as Persia.

I THINK it's total development, I gained an accepted culture after investing a bunch of MIL points in some places.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Trujillo posted:

Can anyone tell me why I wouldn't be able to core these or is this a bug?

You got overseas range to core those provinces, but because there's an enemy fleet blockading all your ports, the game thinks you can't reach Theodoro. Only fix is to try and have them revoke that blockade, so smashing the boats or faking them out to get them to move.

It's a fun little side effect from the new "you can only take provinces you can core"-mechanic.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
It's already been fixed and is in the next patch/hotfix to 1.13 according to the patch notes.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
Jup, just saw the patch notes and came back to post that too. :)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I spent the whole game ignoring this part of the world, what the gently caress is going on?! I've never seen results like this.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

So I spent the whole game ignoring this part of the world, what the gently caress is going on?! I've never seen results like this.

Fuckin rules lol

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Baronjutter posted:

AI going for some achievements apparently.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Is that Bhutan in Kurdistan? Good poo poo

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Average Bear posted:

Is that Bhutan in Kurdistan? Good poo poo
It is "Bohtan", a different tag that is from the Kurdistan area at game start and not Bhutan, sadly. Otherwise yes that totally rules hahah.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Lucky Nations off?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Across about a dozen, maybe 15, games (1.12/1.13) I've seen Byzantium successfully ally with Hungary and/or Poland a couple times to survive against the Ottomans or the Ottomans choose to go after Hungary first before collecting their cores. Probably one of those happened here, and weakened both Hungary and the Ottomans, so that when Venice went to war with them (happens about every game if the Ottomans scoop up Albania early) they probably gave some territory to the Knights and it escalated from there. The Crimean situation can also happen if Genoa gets lucky or Crimea gets weakened by the Horde and doesn't ally the Ottomans (or maybe they did in this case and that helped collapse the Ottomans).

nessin fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 8, 2015

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Baronjutter posted:

There's so many amazing loving stupid things here to choose from, it's great. I think I like the Knights the most just because drat guys you go.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

RabidWeasel posted:

There's so many amazing loving stupid things here to choose from, it's great. I think I like the Knights the most just because drat guys you go.
I really like Theodoro working on making the Black Sea its lake while also shooting north for Kiev but missing to the left by a hair.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Baronjutter posted:

How much of Genoa is actually in or near Genoa?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Do I have some message setting turned off or is there no "Hey Protestantism is a thing now!" popup if you're not the first country to get it? Because if there isn't there should really really be one. I've missed being one of the first three countries to switch multiple times now despite checking the religion tab pretty regularly. I just want a center of reformation :(

\/\/ Is it just the "When a country switches to a different religion" option? Or is there a Protestant-specific one that I'm not seeing?

VDay fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 8, 2015

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
There is one and you've turned it off apparently.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, the start of the Reformation gets it's own special pop up, and then the appearance of Calvinists gets another. You must have turned it off somehow.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

VDay posted:

Do I have some message setting turned off or is there no "Hey Protestantism is a thing now!" popup if you're not the first country to get it? Because if there isn't there should really really be one. I've missed being one of the first three countries to switch multiple times now despite checking the religion tab pretty regularly. I just want a center of reformation :(

\/\/ Is it just the "When a country switches to a different religion" option? Or is there a Protestant-specific one that I'm not seeing?

It's one of those global events which always pop up but I guess there is a way to turn it off?

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
If I form the Kingdom of Italy and then go on to unite the HRE, will all Italian and German cultures be accepted? I've never done either so I'm not sure of the exact mechanics, but if so I think I found my next play-through.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Sheriff posted:

If I form the Kingdom of Italy and then go on to unite the HRE, will all Italian and German cultures be accepted? I've never done either so I'm not sure of the exact mechanics, but if so I think I found my next play-through.

No, you'll keep you're primary culture but also be the union for Germans

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Yeah, it's much more worth it for someone like Hungary or Bohemia who don't have a bunch of cultures in their union that they will lose when they form the HRE.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Italian cultures will still be yellow instead of red though.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

Italian cultures will still be yellow instead of red though.

True so it's still good. But hell if you form the HRE you won already no matter who you are

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Is it just me or when you fire an advisor do you automatically get the same type next?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Please fix the Holland reclamation decision.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
It happens quite a lot because it won't give you two of the same type of advisor, so when you fire a guy there are only three(four?) possible guys you'll get in exchange, so it's more noticeable when the magic of video game RNG kicks in and gives you the same dude. I've gotten 4 Spy Offense advisors in a row once, it's pretty annoying.

You can kind of game the system because of it at least, although it takes quite a bit of money once you're hiring level 2/3 dudes. Like if you need a specific level 2 guy, leave level 1 and 3 advisors in your hiring pool that have different bonuses from him and just keep firing the level 2 guy over and over.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Lord Hydronium posted:

How much of Genoa is actually in or near Genoa?

Oh poo poo I didn't notice Genoa over there. They own some ugly-border provinces in genoa/provence area that's a clusterfuck of ugly ugly borders. It's like someone put Provence, Genoa, Burgundy, Switzerland, and a few other countries in a blender.

Yeah this map is really special. I never play in that region so I do't know how it's "supposed" to look but I haven't even seen half of those countries before, let alone at that size. Also just off screen Egypt formed as well, except for Alexandria which belongs to Theodoro

Lucky nations are off. At one point Venice only owned a few provinces in Italy, not Venice its self, which was owned by Styria which was a large power in the area and Austria was down to just 2 provinces. I'm not sure what happened there but even with lucky nations off, Austria just can't be kept down.

I'm looking forward to starting a new game, poo poo got really weird on the beta patch with every OPM being 100+ dev. I really wish there was a dev mapmode and maybe a civilization "top 5 provinces" chart or something. Just before 1820 I got into a massive coalition war against most of europe, it was bad, I alone lost about half a million people. It was specially brutal because every allied german 1-3 province minor had like a 50+ unit stack they brought to the war due to their insane development.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Woah, does the "submission to the emperor" modifier ever expire for Italian states? It's pretty harsh.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012
The wall breach tooltip in the siege window says that having artillery makes a breach more likely, but doesn't say how that's calculated. Is that actually implemented? And if so, how exactly does it work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Is the AI supposed to be able to call in allies 5 years after a war has started?

I started a no-cb war with another country to tie up one of the ottoman's allies in a war on my side then started a war against the ottomans. After 5 years I white peaced that one and they immediately joined on the ottoman's side against me.

I checked before I white peaced the other war and I couldn't call my own allies into the war against the ottomans because of the "30 months have already passed"

Can defenders always call in additional allies or is this a bug?

• Locked thread