Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Dessel posted:

I'm just quoting this to say that is an extremely chill moment, kind of which this game needs more of executed in a proper manner.

Also, what's with the (around level 58 spoiler?) talking brooms? For a while I thought the weird stuff that doesn't mean anything was reference to the Twin Peaks scene with garbled speech? Is it?

Final Fantasy 1 reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.

Fister Roboto posted:

The former, without a doubt. With the latter, the tank is only doing 25% more damage while the healer is doing 100% less.

I know the original question is from a few pages ago, but yeah the concept is retarded. Any DPS worth their salt will be at least trading aggro the entire time, and if they have aoe then it's no contest. If the tank does somehow hold aggro the whole time it's likely because the dps understand he's an idiot and are holding back on purpose.

edit: to get it on a new page

psymonkey fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 8, 2015

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Griz posted:

Roegadyn master race

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Etrips posted:

Also holy poo poo what race do I play? :supaburn:

Never not potato.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I really like AST. You can heal people and then also distribute buffs to people like a kindergarten teacher handing out stickers to good children.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Dessel posted:

I'm just quoting this to say that is an extremely chill moment, kind of which this game needs more of executed in a proper manner.

Also, what's with the (around level 58 spoiler?) talking brooms? For a while I thought the weird stuff that doesn't mean anything was reference to the Twin Peaks scene with garbled speech? Is it?

They're speaking backwards.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Kjermzs posted:

I've been playing for less then 30 days but have already purchased the game and expansion. Is it too late too hook up with someone for referral perks?

You can add a recruit a friend code as long as you haven't paid for your first month yet which you can't pay for in till your free month runs out.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Tenzarin posted:

You can add a recruit a friend code as long as you haven't paid for your first month yet which you can't pay for in till your free month runs out.

In that case would anyone like to add me to their RAF? Just created an account. Email addy is TeeHee

edit: Mr. D.B. has won the quickdraw lottery.

Etrips fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jul 8, 2015

Kenby
Apr 26, 2012

Asmodai_00 posted:

It's a long ways off, but fair warning, once you get to the level 50 dungeons Praetorium and Castrum Meriandum, you're gonna want to get a goon group together specifically for the purpose of watching the cutscenes during the instance. Otherwise you'll DF into a random group that will clear the dungeon before you can really tell what's going on.

Did the second one for the first time on Sunday. Me and another guy missed the authorization part, got lost for 10 minutes, and finally met the group right at the end. No one said a word in chat.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Wildebeest posted:

Did the second one for the first time on Sunday. Me and another guy missed the authorization part, got lost for 10 minutes, and finally met the group right at the end. No one said a word in chat.

way to go, warrior of light

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Wildebeest posted:

People ran those dungeons hundreds of times, just treat them like faceless npcs because they are just running the MSQ roulettes for exp.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

abraham linksys posted:

our dps's don't understand the concept of "adds." help. i guess i just live in alexander 1 now

the group we just ran 1-2 with ended up with dps grabbing the adds and moving them accordingly, then we went and 1-shot A2. This stuff might be tougher than coil but it seems less like "coil with echo" and more like "coil with echo and a bunch of mechanic nerfs."
I have no idea what the hell you have to hit with Recharge to actually recover EP though, so I just jumped out of my Tachikoma and punched poo poo because you only need 1 for bomb dragging.

The token system is kinda awful too so hopefully it gets some tweaks.

Ouhei posted:

So what's everyone guess for the ilvl on Esoterics (AF2) gear? with Alex normal at i190 I would guess at least matching that. I'm hoping they're going to follow the upgrade path as well and be upgradeable to i200 and be dyeable without the insane method for getting dyeable AF1/

190 and upgrade to 200, with Alex HM giving i200 gear would make sense.

Not sure what FF6 Raid 1.0 will give though. Maybe i190 since it'd be better than the lesser tomestone stuff and ultimately worse than esoterics and alex gear due to a lack of an i200 upgrade.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

psymonkey posted:

I know the original question is from a few pages ago, but yeah the concept is retarded. Any DPS worth their salt will be at least trading aggro the entire time, and if they have aoe then it's no contest. If the tank does somehow hold aggro the whole time it's likely because the dps understand he's an idiot and are holding back on purpose.

edit: to get it on a new page

This isn't actually the optimal path if you include Esoterics and also plan to do Savage Alex when it comes out.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Tenzarin posted:

Don't know how you got "I want that mad loot son" from what I said, I'm just a curious spectator.

Apologies, it wasn't directed at you it was more in general because I've heard/seen entirely too much complaining over it.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Eej posted:

This isn't actually the optimal path if you include Esoterics and also plan to do Savage Alex when it comes out.

Well, it's one of a few arrangements that allows you to get all the things in four weeks.
But first you have to ask yourself if you even want all of the things. The tank body, for example, is a huge piece of garbage and doesn't even look cool.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Klades posted:

Well, it's one of a few arrangements that allows you to get all the things in four weeks.
But first you have to ask yourself if you even want all of the things. The tank body, for example, is a huge piece of garbage and doesn't even look cool.

What is it? Skill speed major parry minor?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Either gender/clan of potatoe is a good race, as are female Roegadyn hellsguard, and highlander Hyur of either gender. Anything else and You Did It Wrong®

(edit) especially catboygirls, eat poo poo and die please

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 8, 2015

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Evil Fluffy posted:

190 and upgrade to 200, with Alex HM giving i200 gear would make sense.

Not sure what FF6 Raid 1.0 will give though. Maybe i190 since it'd be better than the lesser tomestone stuff and ultimately worse than esoterics and alex gear due to a lack of an i200 upgrade.

I would imagine the new CT tier raid would maintain the "as good as the base high tome gear pre upgrade" pairing, so i190 would make sense if that's where Esoterics come in as a base. What would be interesting about that is that you'd then have 3 sets of gear at 190, and if the highest is 200, gear optimization could get fun.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

What is it? Skill speed major parry minor?
Yup: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/playguide/db/item/9e405e9a38c/

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

How the gently caress do you beat Garuda? I did it once for the plot with a dungeon finder party that explained nothing at all. The next time I tried, we got killed over and over for half an hour and then gave up. How do you survive that AoE she does in the middle of the room?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

LordSaturn posted:

How the gently caress do you beat Garuda? I did it once for the plot with a dungeon finder party that explained nothing at all. The next time I tried, we got killed over and over for half an hour and then gave up. How do you survive that AoE she does in the middle of the room?

The 4-man Garuda is oddly difficult nowadays thanks to level syncing and some mechanics that are just plain not there in her Hard or Extreme incarnations.

- Don't stand near rock pillars, they'll be chipped away by her AoEs and they reduce damage from her ultimate attack (where she warps to middle and yells RECKONING COMES!) as long as they're not destroyed. Use them only to line of sight Mistral Blast or whatever (the one where she teleports away)
- Kill adds when they appear, their detonation damages the pillars
- After her ultimate attack, she shrinks the arena, when she teleports away then back in to the center, get behind her, whatever direction she's facing to avoid another Mistral Blast. Hopefully you kill her soon after, but if not
- If she teleports outside of the shrunken arena, facing in, book to the opposite side (but still within the shrunken borders) to avoid her third Mistral Blast. This one just plain does not exist in Hard or Extreme and tends to confuse the gently caress out of people

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jul 8, 2015

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Stand behind rocks.

Are esoterics actually out yet? Or do they come out with savage?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Cats are actually really cool and good.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Rincewind posted:

Cats are actually really cool and good.

The four legged animal variety are cool and good e.g. {fat cat}, the bipedal ones are for dorks and weeaboos among weeaboos :colbert:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Dessel posted:

it's a very blatant FF1 reference

TCELES B HSUP

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Ciaphas posted:

The 4-man Garuda is oddly difficult nowadays thanks to level syncing and some mechanics that are just plain not there in her Hard or Extreme incarnations.

- Don't stand near rock pillars, they'll be chipped away by her AoEs and they reduce damage from her ultimate attack (where she warps to middle and yells RECKONING COMES!) as long as they're not destroyed. Use them only to line of sight Mistral Blast or whatever (the one where she teleports away)

This bit right here was just absolutely not working. We had a tank who couldn't seem to LB on cue, and our healer wasn't keeping us up high enough to soak the blast, even with a pillar for help Ugh, what a frustrating fight.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Ciaphas posted:

Either gender/clan of potatoe is a good race, as are female Roegadyn hellsguard, and highlander Hyur of either gender. Anything else and You Did It Wrong®

(edit) especially catboygirls, eat poo poo and die please

Going with boy potatoe this go around. Made a Highlander and he just looked so ordinary :|

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
AST had filled the COR shaped hole in my life, praise tanaka

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What's the deal with Alex 4? How did you guys do it?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

LordSaturn posted:

This bit right here was just absolutely not working. We had a tank who couldn't seem to LB on cue, and our healer wasn't keeping us up high enough to soak the blast, even with a pillar for help Ugh, what a frustrating fight.

There's like three places in the game where you use tank LB and that's not one of them. Quit destroying your pillars.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

fadam posted:

Very carefully.

Alternatively: Using a plunger.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

fadam posted:

Stay the gently caress away from your healers in the final phase, give your WHM / Diurnal AST the center of the arena to themselves

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

LordSaturn posted:

There are four pillars in the middle of the arena; each one has like 3 'chunks'. You want to go into the phase transition with like 9 of the 12 chunks intact.

Generally, every trial has a DPS check where you peel and kill a bunch (or a single) of adda. If you fail this check, you will wipe; however, if you pass it, the AOE will do a relatively trivial amount of damage. If I remember correctly, Garuda's check is pretty much a pass-fail based on how many feathers managed to gently caress up the pillars in the center of the arena. Some of them, like the new Ravana, will not arbitrarily pass or fail based on an add getting through, but a good rule of thumb is that the second adds spawn you peel and deal with them immediately. I think the Garuda check is pretty tough (based on what I remember), and it's not immediately apparent what you're supposed to do (after one of the Mistrals, she will spawn a bunch of Razor Plumes. Kill these before they gently caress up the pillars at the center).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Roegadyn master race, the only difficult decision for me was Sea Wolf or Hellsguard.

I made mine a male though, am I a bad XIV player

And I'm now in the position of 'a million subjobs I want to level' because I just unlocked WAR and Curious Gorge is a cool dude, but I should also get BRD up to par and WHM because I keep winning those rolls on caster gear.

I'll also take Garuda over Titan any day because Landslide is unforgiving on lag.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 8, 2015

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
I'm not having a ton of fun with BLM at 60, so I've decided to finish levelling my AST from 50-60. Am I right in thinking that if I'm using roulettes for do on the AST, I miss out entirely on law tomes?

TKImpulse
Oct 21, 2009

more like dICK posted:

I'm not having a ton of fun with BLM at 60, so I've decided to finish levelling my AST from 50-60. Am I right in thinking that if I'm using roulettes for do on the AST, I miss out entirely on law tomes?

Yup. You only get Law if you're using a class at 60 for roulettes.

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan
Is it just me or is the Fat Chocobo kind of tasteless? I mean, it's animated like it's constantly out of breath as you lead it around with food on a string.

Like, I guess making "it's funny because it's fat lolololo" the joke just seems dated and offensive with the kind of political incorrectness that only eastern devs seem capable of conjuring up. I'm not trying to be a social justice warrior or anything, honestly. I'm usually the last person to blow the whistle on this kind of thing. Guess it just really rubbed me the wrong way after I first used it and ran around on it a bit.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
source your quotes

kojei
Feb 12, 2008
that quote is gonna be out of breath if people run it around in this thread anymore

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Literally cakeing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

fadam posted:

Phase 1: DPS a single leg. For the first batch of orbs, the MT and the OT pick them up with cooldowns. For every second batch after, either the healers or (preferably) the DPS needs to pick up the non-MT set of orbs, since the OT will always get flung into Quarantine.

Phase 2: Same thing, but DPS needs to spread the adds out as much as possible to avoid debuff overlap. Take them out to the edges of the arena while slowly taking down the other leg. Make sure everyone is blocking a turret shot whenever possible so that one person doesn't get wrecked. If your DPS is having serious trouble with this, just separate the arena with markers Shiva-style and assign the DPS/healers/tanks to drag adds between those sections.

Phase 3: Same thing with turrets and orbs. The tanks need to swap between each Discord in order to ensure that they have sufficient CDs to survive the tank buster. As said above, leave the healers to themselves in the middle and have everyone else spread around outside or by the main boss.

Evil Fluffy posted:

I have no idea what the hell you have to hit with Recharge to actually recover EP though, so I just jumped out of my Tachikoma and punched poo poo because you only need 1 for bomb dragging.

The red Gobwalkers when under 10% HP are vulnerable to Recharge.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 8, 2015

• Locked thread