Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Snark posted:

Yeah I was annoyed by the cornhole-a-Cobra combat after a while. I get that they were going for Tank Predator mode to mix up the Batmobile combat. But there really aren't enough tricks to pull to make it satisfying. You either luck out with a tank that is far from his buddies, or you get the Cobra lure to draw one out. That's about it.

In contrast, this is the most fun I've had with the regular predator mode in all four games. To be honest, I tended to cheese them from Asylum to Origins. I did a shitload of Inverted Takedowns to the point where I spent a lot of time cutting mooks down just so I could string up another. AK gives you so many options that you can change strategies on the fly. I'd go in for some kind of basic takedown and find I could pull off a Fear chain, or wind up close enough to a drone guy to hack his controller and take out three at once. And any disruptor takedown that made goons take themselves out was great.

Oh gently caress me, why did I never clue into that.

Also, my favourite was realizing that explosive gel and wall or exploding generators would also insta-takedown minigunners. That, plus voice thing, led to me taking down all four of them on the final watch tower with one generator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Toady posted:

Well, that could have been part of the hallucination.

A running theme of the Arkham games is that hallucinogenic drugs introduce horribly unreliable narratives. Everything from the first dose of Scarecrow toxin in AA to the R'as and Hatter segments of AC. In AK, they telegraph this by using the Joker as a set piece indicating when the narrative is slipping. From the scenes of Joker shooting Babs and Jason to hiding Babs' suicide behind his body to using his face during the first Knight unmasking, the Joker's presence says, "Hey, this isn't exactly right!" If you're watching the thematic hints, then Babs' suicide isn't convincing the second you stop and think about it. It's pretty well-telegraphed. By the time we see Jason's murder, it should be apparent that it wasn't real.

I'm a little annoyed that Batman didn't figure it out, because he was pretty effective at detecting unreliable narration in the previous games. I think it would have fit better if he had suspected she was alive and gone to the meet accordingly, instead of being shocked when he learned the truth.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
This thread moves fast and I don't have time to sift it so I'll just ask: anyone having problems redeeming the Flashpoint Skin? Got the others and bought the season pass but when it gives me the prompt to press triangle at the menu nothing happens and it's not in my showcase.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Snark posted:

Yeah I was annoyed by the cornhole-a-Cobra combat after a while. I get that they were going for Tank Predator mode to mix up the Batmobile combat. But there really aren't enough tricks to pull to make it satisfying. You either luck out with a tank that is far from his buddies, or you get the Cobra lure to draw one out. That's about it.

In contrast, this is the most fun I've had with the regular predator mode in all four games. To be honest, I tended to cheese them from Asylum to Origins. I did a shitload of Inverted Takedowns to the point where I spent a lot of time cutting mooks down just so I could string up another. AK gives you so many options that you can change strategies on the fly. I'd go in for some kind of basic takedown and find I could pull off a Fear chain, or wind up close enough to a drone guy to hack his controller and take out three at once. And any disruptor takedown that made goons take themselves out was great.

Have you done the David and Goliath AR mission yet? That's the only fun cobra encounter in the game.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
The Cobra missions are the only thing keeping me from a second playthrough. I don't want to deal with that poo poo. The one with like 7 cobras and the Arkham Knight cannon tank was an exercise in tedium.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Snark posted:

Predator is way too easy in AK seeing as some of the old moves from AO/AC are now silent by default rather than immediately loud and the distruptor/smoke grenade being able to cooldown even in challenge rooms makes it a breeze. Fear takedowns also mean you can easily smoke 3-6 guys in no time flat.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

If I lean too heavily on stealth takedowns from behind, the Arkham Knight orders his guys to buddy up, but if you lean heavily on fear takedowns he does the opposite and orders his men to spread out. Interesting.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The militia adapt quite often, unfortunately you tend to chew through so quick it doesn't make much difference. :v:

Anyway, I'm ploughing through NG+ with a fully upgraded Batsuit, yum yum. Is there a way to tell the difference between a combat master's regular attacks and their combo though? The latter keeps catching me off-guard as I'm trying to counter, rather than dodge, them. There must be a tell I'm missing.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I'm too uncreative for predator mode. Mostly I just disrupt the more annoying enemies (medic, detective mode detectors + jammer, maybe the mini gunner), stealth take down some isolated guys, then fear into smoke bomb combat annihilation.

The voice commands are a godsend because now I can actually set up traps and stuff without having to wait and hope a thug wanders over.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!
This game sure hates Robin.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

SonicRulez posted:

The only upgrades I've found to be completely useless are the Glide Gadgets. I saved all of those for last.

Same. I've gotten one Gadgets while Gliding upgrade so far and haven't even used it. I went after Batmobile and Combat upgrades first and foremost.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

QuantumNinja posted:

A running theme of the Arkham games is that hallucinogenic drugs introduce horribly unreliable narratives. Everything from the first dose of Scarecrow toxin in AA to the R'as and Hatter segments of AC. In AK, they telegraph this by using the Joker as a set piece indicating when the narrative is slipping. From the scenes of Joker shooting Babs and Jason to hiding Babs' suicide behind his body to using his face during the first Knight unmasking, the Joker's presence says, "Hey, this isn't exactly right!" If you're watching the thematic hints, then Babs' suicide isn't convincing the second you stop and think about it. It's pretty well-telegraphed. By the time we see Jason's murder, it should be apparent that it wasn't real.

I'm a little annoyed that Batman didn't figure it out, because he was pretty effective at detecting unreliable narration in the previous games. I think it would have fit better if he had suspected she was alive and gone to the meet accordingly, instead of being shocked when he learned the truth.

My problem with it is they do a great job actually of making it more obvious she isn't dead when Scarecrow says to Batman right after it "What happened in there is your fault.". He doesn't mention Barbera or anything, he doesn't actually know what happened in the room. Then a little while later they ruin it by Arkham Knight saying "She's dead because of you!"

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

TheRedEye posted:

Especially if you talk to him immediately after the cutscene where he gets put in the cell instead of Bruce. Doubt this won't lead to him snapping in the future.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I like using traps to take out minigunners, much less of a hassle. Disrupt a weapons crate and use the voice module to order one of them to investigate it, or blow up a wall on one of them, etc... trying to punch them out is a sucker's game.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Speedball posted:

If I lean too heavily on stealth takedowns from behind, the Arkham Knight orders his guys to buddy up, but if you lean heavily on fear takedowns he does the opposite and orders his men to spread out. Interesting.

This was pretty cool, and it shows Rocksteady understood what made the Mr. Freeze fight so good - it was basically a test of every Predator skill at your disposal against an enemy who doesn't allow you to favor one approach. Every Predator encounter with militia is basically the Mr. Freeze fight. I've consciously avoided the disruptor upgrades just so I don't make them too easy, but it wouldn't surprise me if Arkham Knight has a contingency for those. There are a ton of approaches in Predator rooms, to the point of it almost being overwhelming due to the variety of enemies.

TheRedEye posted:

Yeah, but it's Chris O'Donnell Robin so who cares? :v:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

TheRedEye posted:

This game series sure hates Robin.

Yep. I like the options and creativity in predator, but I absolutely hate how much of it takes place in outside environments. I might be beating a dead horse with this point, but it makes things significantly less fun. Not just because I get spotted. I don't mind difficulty and I'm pretty great at predator after 4 games of it. It's that I don't get spotted and think "Oh poo poo, it's over.' I just think "Ugh, now I have to grapple away and come up the other side." Even in the banks, I get spotted and have so many options to run or just fight my way out that it's comical.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I've consciously avoided the disruptor upgrades just so I don't make them too easy, but it wouldn't surprise me if Arkham Knight has a contingency for those.

lol he doesn't. The disruptor kinda saps some fun from the predator sections.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Was there any truth to those rumours about a remastering of Asylum/City?

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
What was the Goon concensus on the Mr Freeze DLC for Origins?

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

CJacobs posted:

Man, going back to Arkham Asylum is such a refresher from this game. Arkham Asylum has, I think, four enemy types. This game has twelve. I really really like this game but they went super batshit overboard with how many gadgets/moves Batman has and how many types of enemies there are and the tactics they require.

edit: Asylum has:

- Normal mooks
- Knife guys (require a cape stun)
- Shield guys (require a stun/block break)
- Zapper guys (require a dodge or otherwise attack from behind)

Occasionally there are titan enemies but they're mostly for boss fights.

This game has:

- Normal mooks
- Knife guys (require a cape stun)
- Shield guys (require a stun/block break)
- Zapper guys (require a dodge or otherwise attack from behind)
- Medics (I won't count their resurrection/lightning-imbuing as multiple enemy types here)
- Ninjas (don't even make sense in this game)
- Drone guys
- Tall guys (require a stun + beat down)
- Tall shield guys (require a big stun + beat down)
- Tall zapper guys (require a backflip + stun + beat down)
- Tall knife guys (the same as the normal tall guys except they can do knife attacks)

And at least one I can't remember off the top of my head. Half of that list just feels so unnecessary and cluttered.

I replayed Asylum recently and I don't remember any Shield guys. There were the charging lunatics though.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Same. I've gotten one Gadgets while Gliding upgrade so far and haven't even used it. I went after Batmobile and Combat upgrades first and foremost.

Gadgets while Gliding suffers from a little bit of poor controls and a little bit of it not explaining how it works properly.
You need to use one finger to hold down W or S while you're gliding, then you have to aim the camera at the person you want to target and then use another finger to actually use the quickfire gadget, but it's hard to tell when it worked because it doesn't happen instantly, or if you do it too close to the end of the glide, and the results aren't generally worth the effort.

Aquasnake fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 8, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

ghouldaddy07 posted:

Pretty good. Way better than Harley Quinn's Revenge, at least.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

ghouldaddy07 posted:

What was the Goon consensus on the Mr Freeze DLC for Origins?
It was my second favorite part of Origins.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

ghouldaddy07 posted:

It's good.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
There's an Honest Trailer for Arkham Knight, now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEMys_6t9N4

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The Bat Hat is a phrase I need to use in conversation more often.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

ghouldaddy07 posted:

It's better than Origins itself.

Ice ray thugs are ffffffucking dumb though.

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com
Does this game work for PC yet? I have it in my Steam inventory but am afraid to download it.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
With all the discussions about the thugs, I am so glad the martial artists from Origins didn't return. I mean they were a interesting new gimmick, but I always forget about their counter and get hit.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

Does this game work for PC yet? I have it in my Steam inventory but am afraid to download it.

Not well.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Rirse posted:

With all the discussions about the thugs, I am so glad the martial artists from Origins didn't return. I mean they were a interesting new gimmick, but I always forget about their counter and get hit.

I was hoping the combat masters would be this but they're just reskinned Assassins.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

The first patch (and some tweaks) helped a bit, but not enough.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

There's an Honest Trailer for Arkham Knight, now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEMys_6t9N4

He's a superhero with the most unfair advantage of all: money.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The toddlers challenges are basically the opposite of what makes a good puzzle platformer. 10% of the difficulty comes from the actual puzzles and 90% is fighting the games loosey goosey controls. I was actually excited for them at first but this is trash.

E: that was suppose to say riddler but I'll leave it because it made me laugh. Phone postin :v:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Pirate Jet posted:

It's better than Origins itself.

Ice ray thugs are ffffffucking dumb though.

This was my assessment.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

If you have:

A sandy bridge or newer i5 or better
A gtx 780 or better (taking into account you'll want 3GB of VRAM)
An SSD

You can futz with a few lines in the ini files and play the game without much issue. Only thing I have a lot of trouble with is the game works smoke when I do burnouts/drifting in the batmobile.

Might work well for other configs, that's just an approximation of the hardware I ran it ok on.

The key tweaks are to set the max frames to 60 (or whatever your monitor refresh is I guess) then there is another one where you set I think desiredmaxframes(? Not sure I remember) to 58-62. Something about that makes the textures load a lot better. When all I did was bump the frame rate the textures still wouldn't load on a lot of poo poo.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

There's only been the one patch that only sort-of addressed the rain texture on the Batsuit/mobile and put ambient occlusion back in. If you want to deal with more-than-likely random stuttering and textures not loading correctly, go ahead and give it a shot if you've decided to not get a refund.

vvvv
No, not without turning off like every post effect, which makes it look like green butt.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 8, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Is there a way to turn off this game's chromatic aberration? It makes everything look blurry including batman, the focus point of the camera (where there should be no chromatic aberration in the first place if we're pretending the game's camera works like a real-life one) and though it's I guess cinematic that way, it looks like crap.

edit: Looked it up myself and no, there is not. Unfortunate.

redbackground posted:

vvvv
No, not without turning off like every post effect, which makes it look like green butt.

Darn.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jul 8, 2015

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Holy hell the tank fights in this game are becoming such a slog. I'm at 89% of the main quest and I've committed that I won't be getting all the riddler trophies, is there any point to finishing the other sidequests or is it an all-or-nothing deal with them in relation to the ending?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Does this game work for PC yet?
My i7, 16GB RAM, 980 Ti system says "well, sort of."

Just keep waiting. All the first patch did was fix a few showstopper crashes and toggle some missing graphic effects back on. There were no performance fixes or patches for the memory leaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiff_dedalus
Jul 15, 2004
The best-laid plans of mice and men go oft awry.

Emron posted:

Some of these trophies are going to be a pain in the butt--5 perfect critical shots in a row without taking damage? That is going to be really hard.

Apparently they don't have to be five perfect consecutive shots, just five perfect consecutive kills. Load up the AR mission outside the movie studio and do it there. It won't matter if you miss a couple shots before you land the one the blows the drone up. Just don't get hit at all when you're doing it.

• Locked thread