Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I haven't played super deeply into the game but I found that for a lot of the early missions (at least) as a Paladin you could just run through, tag the trash once or twice to get them to follow you, then when you have a big clump gathered you go to town with AOE.

Paladins are pretty drat tough, at least that early in the game, I never died doing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog

WarLocke posted:

I haven't played super deeply into the game but I found that for a lot of the early missions (at least) as a Paladin you could just run through, tag the trash once or twice to get them to follow you, then when you have a big clump gathered you go to town with AOE.

Paladins are pretty drat tough, at least that early in the game, I never died doing this.

I doubt this is gonna happen later on in the game, especially since healing is scarce by design.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

Bombogenesis posted:

Also is it me or does knight just feel hella clunky?

I take this back. A few abilities in and everything just sorta clicked into place. Being able to uppercut bitches for my bird to murder offscreen is just wonderful.

Remb
Feb 2, 2014

Krakatoah posted:

I doubt this is gonna happen later on in the game, especially since healing is scarce by design.

Mass AOE farming was the modus operandi for solo farming sparks as Berserker, which I got up to 25k prestige

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

game is alright.

ui is kinda clunky and unintuitive, and having to constantly left click isn't fun. see you dudes in the next great wow killer

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Just tried this out.

Alchemist is loving hilarious. If you're not surfing around on a veritable tide of toxic waste and explosions like some sort of retarded Captain Planet villain then you're doing it wrong.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 8, 2015

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Krakatoah posted:

It was working for me and never dropped off. You don't need healing as a paladin. They literally have an immortality ability that makes them immune to ALL damage for a few seconds. All you have to do is kite the whole dungeon and shield up, dive bomb, wave lighting and crack the ult. Boom. Everything dies.

FoolishLobster
Sep 13, 2009

Reasons to play Knight:

-2 Dash counters to shield charge into things and smack them all to the ground.

-Your finisher is a wind-up uppercut to send the enemy flying into the air where your badass eagle swoops in and kills/takes it away.

Ederick
Jan 2, 2013
Chalk up another vote for this being a pretty fun game. Only played for a couple hours, but being a Lightbringer was pretty cool. Played with a Cryo and Knight and the first few dungeony areas were pretty fun. It was actually entertaining to play a support class and buff the Cryo before they send a giant icicle into the enemy! I even got to toss around fiery rain and kamehamehas for great area damage. Didn't take long to download and install and the game runs great on Maximum settings despite being under its requirements. The controls and UI are definitely a little awkward, but if nothing else it'll be a fun novelty to play for a while.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Not only are there butt sliders, there's a butt height slider. :pwn:

The stance animation sliders are great at least. But of course every other female character I see has the demure, knock-kneed waifu stance and the "tee-hee chase me" run.

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
Keep in mind if you're still sub 2000 prestige you really haven't seen most of the game yet. Usually you have 6-8 abilities, and those abilities will have alternate versions that you won't see till you start maxing out your class atlas. The game was pretty boring for me doing Left Left Right combo as paladin until i unlocked another combo and the rest of my abilities.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
The kinetic was actually pretty fun in the training room when I finally unlocked the atlas. Hovering around and flinging boulders at things is a fair way to spend some time. The repetitiveness wasn't earning a whole lot of points with me, though; in the time it took to reach the full atlas I'd run each mission (each mission accessible to me, that is) at least twice, some through quest progression, others to grind for gems so I could see the atlas tonight before the test ended. Every time the maps seemed to be identical as well, which isn't great for replay value compared to games like PSO and Warframe that randomize the maps a bit.

Valatar fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jul 8, 2015

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.
I gotta ask the dumb question but is the open beta the unofficial release of the game, or will there be a wipe and a official for real real release date?

Sorry if this got answered before I didnt go back more than 10 pages.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Double Monocle posted:

I gotta ask the dumb question but is the open beta the unofficial release of the game, or will there be a wipe and a official for real real release date?

There will be a wipe after this Stress test. Then the game goes live for the Open Beta and there will be no more wipes. Its what they call a soft launch.

Double Monocle posted:

Sorry if this got answered before I didnt go back more than 10 pages.

There is only seven pages. Do push ups.

I guess my writing was too small. Let me make it more prominent in the OP for the rest of you loving goons.

Drinkfist fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jul 8, 2015

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.

Drinkfist posted:

There is only seven pages. Do push ups.

The dangers of multi tab browsing on a smart phone.

Thanks for the info. If it makes you feel better I did 50 push ups in shame.

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
I remember seeing something about this ages ago, hard to believe its so close.

Screw it, ill throw down the 20 space bucks to be a cyber-god in early access.

Also Pantheons sound hilarious.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Played a Lightbringer to Prestige 600~ and enough to unlock a couple abilities. It seems fun, but there seem to be a lot of missing features that I'm used to in most MMOs. No AH/Trading, no crafting? unless I just didn't get to it yet, no open world at least in early levels.

With that being said it's a good looking game visually, and I know that playing for a bit will unlock more fun abilities so I'll definitely keep going until I can at least try Necro/Warlock out.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Bombogenesis posted:

This game is...not awful? Like I want to say I'm getting some serious Phantasy Star Online/Universe vibes from the combat but everything just feels a bit off. It's probably the poor sound design. Also is it me or does knight just feel hella clunky?

This is the general feeling that I get. I wish combat was less Neverwinter and more TERA.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Obscurity posted:

Played a Lightbringer to Prestige 600~ and enough to unlock a couple abilities. It seems fun, but there seem to be a lot of missing features that I'm used to in most MMOs. No AH/Trading, no crafting? unless I just didn't get to it yet, no open world at least in early levels.

There's no crafting, no player markets. The "open world" is limited to specific large questing regions that are not instanced.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Obscurity posted:

It seems fun, but there seem to be a lot of missing features that I'm used to in most MMOs. No AH/Trading, no crafting? unless I just didn't get to it yet, no open world at least in early levels.

While this is just a matter of labels, using the term "MMO" to describe Skyforge will be a slightly deceiving for some people. It is an MMO by industry standards but I remember back when Phantasy Star Online came out and how that game was referred to as an Action RPG with multiplayer support. Skyforge is something between that style of game and a traditional MMO. Knowing that ahead of time might help some players who are used to traditional MMOs ease into the game more.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
people who are used to traditional mmos are broken brained people

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Third World Reggin posted:

people who are used to traditional mmos are broken brained people

No, we aren't.

Now excuse me while I execute the same DPS rotation for the 50,000th time. This time on a new encounter with the gamchanging strat of "Do (not) stand in the Poon".

Sarcasm aside what unlockable classes are there for supports? It looks like only DPS classes are unlockable? Or am I missing something.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

two tanks, two supports, rest dps

alchemist and light bringer are supports

alchemist is kinda... not support

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Xavier434 posted:

This is the general feeling that I get. I wish combat was less Neverwinter and more TERA.

Ouch. That comparison kinda dampens my excitement a bit. Neverwinter just never felt very good to play for me. TERA was great, combat-wise, though.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Harrow posted:

Ouch. That comparison kinda dampens my excitement a bit. Neverwinter just never felt very good to play for me. TERA was great, combat-wise, though.

I was being sincere when I said that but don't let my comment persuade you to avoid giving it a try and forming your own opinion. Skyforge's combat feels better than Neverwinter and is more fun in general but it reminds me more of Neverwinter than TERA. At the same time, I quit Neverwinter fairly quickly due to disliking the combat and the fact that I am still very interested in playing Skyforge next week says something.

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY

Xavier434 posted:

Am I broken? I really enjoyed neverwinters combat and really thought Terra was way too clunky.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

HardKase posted:

Am I broken? I really enjoyed neverwinters combat and really thought Terra was way too clunky.

To each their own.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
we all enjoy terrible MMOs and like different terrible parts of them

and thats ok

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Well, I caved and bought myself a week's early access to a free game.

Will I need to re-download the client for the open beta/soft launch?

FoolishLobster
Sep 13, 2009

Roach Warehouse posted:

Well, I caved and bought myself a week's early access to a free game.

Will I need to re-download the client for the open beta/soft launch?

Nope. Client will update with latest patch.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

HardKase posted:

Not at all. Different people like different styles of action combat. I personally enjoy systems where I can swing freely, there is no tabbed targeting, the enemies have precise hitboxes, dodging is expected to be done frequently and involves iframes, many of the attack animations are locked for both the feeling of weight and a sense of accountability if I do the wrong thing at the wrong time, little to no expectation of soaking damage provided I am skilled enough, good sound effects for the feeling of weight, knockback animations to also add to that feeling of weight and to play a role on when to strategically strike, etc.

This describes TERA very well. It does not describe Neverwinter all that well but some of it is there.

Remb
Feb 2, 2014

Just FYI Knight is a better tank to Paladin in every way

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist

Xae posted:

No, we aren't.

Now excuse me while I execute the same DPS rotation for the 50,000th time. This time on a new encounter with the gamchanging strat of "Do (not) stand in the Poon".

Sarcasm aside what unlockable classes are there for supports? It looks like only DPS classes are unlockable? Or am I missing something.

Alchemist gets a bit more supporty later on, but neither knight or alchemist are as good as the starter classes (paladin/lightbinder) at hard tank/supporting. They're more like weird hybrids. Knight spends a lot of time reflecting and has good damage resist, but suffers at flat tanking because he doesn't have poo poo for aggro generation. Didn't play alchemist much but just heard that it was more "boost your teams dps" from the people I asked. Most of the game however, you'll be running 1-3 mans, so pure roles really won't matter too much.

In CBT3 I played zerker most of the time, and then swapped to paladin to tank 5 man instances.

lewtt fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 8, 2015

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

In the harder 5 man dungeon, the light binder will shield some people, bust most of the damage people take shouldn't be taken. They have to dodge.

Then go grab the health orbs their selves.

The damage boosts really do help though.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
Is the monk any good in this game?

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist

BabyFur Denny posted:

Is the monk any good in this game?

I only played an older version in the trainer but his aoe fire poledance damage was pretty nuts for being spammable.

FoolishLobster
Sep 13, 2009

quote:

Character: Maou Lin

TL;DR Story: Born from a self replicating spiritual system designed to embed soldiers across a collection of multiverses to fight for their gods ideals against an enemy that does the same, embed it's soldiers across multiverses.

Full Story: Coming soon

I can't wait! :allears:

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
The thing that really makes me sad about this is the fact that you can't mix job abilities ala Final Fantasy. If you could pick and choose powers to make your own hybrid, I'd probably be throwing insane money at this. Instead the only thing you get out of training multiple classes are the passive stat boosts, which is not thrilling.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Need a trip report on Necromance and the Witch class. It's about time I saddled up with Drinkfist again and joined him in another MMO. It's been too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Xavier434 posted:

Same. I actually quite liked Neverwinter's combat (especially the Ranger class) but TERA's is just so much better. It's too bad the rest of that game is dogshit.

With that said, Skyforge is a fairly enjoyable game. I'm still on the fence about playing it, but mainly because the NA server is in LA.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 8, 2015

• Locked thread