Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kasan
Dec 24, 2006

The RECAPITATOR posted:

Ok... so right now I have my motor which runs at 1725 RPM (close enough).
On the motor shaft I have a 4 inch diam pulley (PA) which links to a 2 inch diam pulley (PB) via V-Belt.
PB is linked, by the same shaft, to a wheel (WA) which is 6 inch diam - WA will move the sanding belt.
Then there's an adjustable spring-clutch wheel later in the mechanism to give tension depending on the tool attached to the grinder.

So:
PA rotates at 1725 rpm - moves 361.28 inches of V-Belt per second
PB rotates at 3450 rpm (2:1 from PA)
WA is on the same shaft as PB, so it also rotates at 3450 rpm and it moves 1083.85 inches of sanding belt per second (or 99.11 km/h).
Considering the belt is 2 inches wide, this means I have 903.21 square feet of belt per minute.

I can always modify the pulleys and wheels on the design to get the ideal speed for the sanding belt (which is still a bit of a mystery to me). Though I've seen on some forums that 900 sfpm is acceptable though a bit on the low end. I'm alright with that since I'm just a hobbyist and this is kind of a cheap grinder I'm throwing together as cheaply as possible.

I was half asleep and on my phone when I replied and didn't realize I'd left out pretty much everything I had meant to post. But! The skinny is, 6000 sfm~ is optimal for steel for most sand paper types. (you can certainly go as high as 12000sfm with zirconia or silicon carbide.) If you want to use the same sander for wood, you need to drop the speeds down to 1500~ sfm. The HP of your motor will contribute greatly to the SFM at point of contact depending on the pressure you are applying at the time. A 1/4HP will slow down considerably more than a 1HP motor.

Just to iterate in case people aren't certain how we're coming up with the speeds for the belts, the formula is:

Spindle RPM * Spindle Diameter * 0.261 = Surface Feet / Minute (0.261 is derive from π/12 and truncated to 3 significant digits.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Note to self: 5.5/2!= 2.25. RIP flight hardware. At least it is cheap to replace.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Bad Munki posted:

I got a killer deal on a practically brand-new lincoln arc welder this weekend, guy down the street passed away a little while back and his super-well-stocked shop is getting cleaned out. Got a bunch of extra clamps and extension wires with it, too, I didn't even see them but the lady running the thing was just like "Hey you want these too?" so into the truck they went.

Anyhow, long story short, I don't know how to weld yet, I've just been waiting for the right opportunity, and here it is. I realize I'm not going to be doing any fine work, that this is more for, like, building frames or fixing your tractor in the field or whatever, but that's great, I'm cool with that, so I'm looking for some basic "how to not kill yourself while making two pieces of metal stick together" type guide for babby's first weld job. I flat out don't have time/energy to enroll in a community college course, I'm just looking for some basic starter guide. Anyone have recommended links, etc.?

Alternately, if the recommended advice is "Don't touch that tombstone until you've done some other type of welding first" I'm okay with that too, I don't mind sitting on this thing until I have other skills, it was still the right price.

Nah dude stick is the universal language of welding, find some angle or plate and have at it.

Number one, of course, safety. Leather gloves & helmet with shade 10 or better glass. Also remember not to pick stuff up, it's still hot after it stops glowing. Safety glasses under helmet, you do not want to chip hot slag into your opticals and that poo poo flies ERRWHERE.

Surface prep matters. Wire brush the poo poo out of everything.

As for rod selection, 3/32 and 1/8 6011 is about as versatile as it gets. If your budget allows and you want to try out something with a different feel, I had a lot of trouble starting arcs consistently and getting good beads until I tried 7018. It was much more forgiving, and then things were easier when I went back to 6011.

Chapter 7 has plenty of juicy, delicious detail.
http://www.mckaymarine.com.au/Downloads/Navy%20Welding%20Manual.pdf

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jun 16, 2015

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh also, there was a bin full of welding rod, am I going to hate myself trying to use it just starting off if it's not in tip-top shape? I gave them $6 for it, and when I got home, it weighed in at 65 pounds. I figure even if a lot of it is crap, it's still probably a good deal. There were some boxes of the stuff that hadn't even been opened, i.e. were still in their exterior shrink wrap.

I haven't picked through to see what I have, but I'm hoping it'll at least suffice for getting started.

As for safety gear, I'm not even touching the thing until I have all that in hand. I have a leather apron, laceless leather shoes, and gloves/mask on the way.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Get that rod in plastic NOW.

If you live anywhere humid the flux picks up moisture and makes it splatter everywhere.

Also, that looks like a perfect bin full of crap to start leaning on. Start watching youtube videos to get an idea of what you'll be looking for in the puddle, etc.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Random Number posted:

Note to self: 5.5/2!= 2.25. RIP flight hardware. At least it is cheap to replace.

Think of it as an increase in dV. :v:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

You can bake the rods to get the moisture out though, if you don't know how long it's been opened it's recommended.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I definitely don't, I'm sure some of it's been sitting out for a while. How hot/how long? For now, I've got it in the dungeon in my basement where I run a dehumidifier, keeps it pretty dry in there, certainly drier than anywhere else in the house.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I don't know where else to post this, but I was watching a video on knifemaking and

It says what you think it says.

Kasan
Dec 24, 2006

Bad Munki posted:

I definitely don't, I'm sure some of it's been sitting out for a while. How hot/how long? For now, I've got it in the dungeon in my basement where I run a dehumidifier, keeps it pretty dry in there, certainly drier than anywhere else in the house.

2 hours at 190F~ in the oven will bake it out if you do it in 10lb batches. A DIY "rod oven" is basically a box with a 100 watt incandescent light bulb always on inside. You can use old refrigerators or freezers if you just bore a hole for the cord and mount in a light fixture.

Check the actual rods tho. Some rods don't care about moisture at all (60**, AT11-C, 50**). 7*** definitely need to be baked, as do anything labeled "Rocket weld" or "Superweld" that don't have any other identifiable markings. Those are nickle alloy rods and the flux tends to be water magnets. There's a funky blue welding rod on the market that has something like an LD in the name (I can't actually remember for some reason) that not only don't care about water, you can bend them in arcs and still lay a pretty bead with them. I've done a little welding with them submerged in water to demonstrate them.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Awesome, thanks for the info. I'll pick through the bin tonight and see what I have.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Trabant posted:

I don't know where else to post this, but I was watching a video on knifemaking and

It says what you think it says.

In a metalworking shop basically everything is a blackboard as far as the soapstone's concerned, so, yeah. Peep what snuck into some pictures I took in the forge on the face of my anvil:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I'd like to interrupt sandingchat and anal-insertionchat for just a moment if I may.

Today marks this thread's seventh birthday. Seven years of continuous metalwork fun. Learning to weld, repouse, cut, shear, grind, sand, file, machine, solder, braze, temper, forge and everything else.

We've had our ups and :downs:, triumphs and setbacks. Watched people go from rank amateurs to pros, or just stay as tinkerers like me.

All of that and yet still Ambrose hasn't given me that sheet metal section for the op.

Let's keep it going folks, I love these forums. :unsmith:

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Anybody else have a wall of shame?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I just leave my garbage outside until it rusts back into the earth.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

:supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn:

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
Every month or so I open that text file and go "ehhhnnnnnnnhhhhh" at the task of reworking the scattered ramblings I have so far and get distracted and do something else. But every time I get shamed I add at least a couple paragraphs so have faith and hold fast

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

To celebrate the anniversary, here's a photo I took today. This is from a bunch of jr high girls taking metalworking classes, and this shot in particular came out great.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I want the matchless and Indian logos. What's wrong with them?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

7 years of metal is a long thread on SA.

Pagan posted:

To celebrate the anniversary, here's a photo I took today. This is from a bunch of jr high girls taking metalworking classes, and this shot in particular came out great.

This owns

Cakefool posted:

I want the matchless and Indian logos. What's wrong with them?

Matchless has a lot of pieces that are not fully cut out. Haven't had time to go back and get them out by hand. The Indian logo has some places where the plasma cutter blew out or sat too long while piercing. Incorrect settings on my part :shobon:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Pagan posted:

Do you have this in 1680x1050 or bigger? That's a fantastic photo.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Every month or so I open that text file and go "ehhhnnnnnnnhhhhh" at the task of reworking the scattered ramblings I have so far and get distracted and do something else. But every time I get shamed I add at least a couple paragraphs so have faith and hold fast

Then I shall continue to publicly shame on a semi -quarterly schedule.

I'm available to other goons for this service at a nominal fee.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
Finally. Finally my labours are done and i may rest

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Do you get that effect with the jump rings just by the way you sized them? That must have taken quite a while to solder.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
That entire piece is 100% cold connections, I only touched a flame to the main plate once to anneal it between repousse courses. What 'effect' do you mean, the spiral? It's a pretty straightforward decorative maille weave, you get the spiral by putting rings through two previous rings and twisting the new ring in a chosen direction and repeating. It'll actually 'unravel' if it's not a closed loop, which is why there's no clasp.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Finally. Finally my labours are done and i may rest

Perfect in every way.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
http://imgur.com/a/HlmMK

Here's a buildlog for the chain. Fill yer boots with progress pics.

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

drat fine work Ambrose. How long do you think it took them to do the war rig? There are a shitload of em up there, otoh, they may have stamped em, I don't know enough about sheetwork to know.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Ambrose Burnside posted:

That's awesome man, good write up.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

CBJamo posted:

drat fine work Ambrose. How long do you think it took them to do the war rig? There are a shitload of em up there, otoh, they may have stamped em, I don't know enough about sheetwork to know.

Somebody on hiss Reddit said it's probably just vaccuum-formed plastic. RIP. It isn't legit either way, the skull has identical flaws and divots in each symbol, so (if it were made of metal) it'd probably just be embossed in really thin sheet with one big machined stamp on rubber/urethane and then backfilled with foam so it won't collapse.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Fantastic work. My only question - where do you get the pine pitch?

Unrelated question - I've got a knife blank that I've hand forged from a bar, and I'm wondering how to best grind the bevels. I can do a decent job by hand, but it's far from perfect. I have a belt sander (tabletop, not a hand held tool) that I've been using. Is there a tool or trick to help get even bevels on both sides?

ArtistCeleste
Mar 29, 2004

Do you not?
I don't have any jigs to help you with that pagan, but tell try and take a video to show you how I do it. Basically you brace your hand on the bench and try to find the bevel in one stroke. I use my other hand to support my work. Whenever possible my fingertips are touching the material and on the other side the material is making contact with the belt. Obviously I dip my knife in water often. And I probably can't support the top of my knife because it gets hot too quickly.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
I got my pitch from the lady who runs A Copper Rose Metal Art, and sells a medium green pitch from chasers-pitch.com. It's the workhorse medium green Rio Grande used to carry until she went her own way. Northwest Pitchworks does green pitch that is supposedly very similar but come in soft through hard grades. Rio Grande now carries German red and black oil pitches; I've worked with the red pitch and it's good stuff, I probably like it a little bit more than my medium green 'cause it's a little harder and is a lot harder to overheat (the green stuff starts bubbling and by extension boiling off some of its components pretty easily, red doesn't do that until it's about to actually catch fire). I've never worked with old-fashioned petropitch but supposedly it's very hard and also unpleasantly noxious to do much work with.
I've heard whisperings of special Japanese formulations that cost a fortune to import but I don't know much more than that they're well-tailored to the repousse styles and tools/techniques predominant there.

Some recipes I found:

1. 6 parts chaser's pitch [ambrose: i think this is an error and should read pine pitch/rosin], 8 parts plaster of Paris or brick dust, 1 part linseed oil or tallow. Source: Metalworking Techniques for Craftsmen by Oppi Untracht.

2. 4 parts roofing tar (the kind roofers melt in tar kettles), 3 parts pumice powder, 1 part turpentine, 1 part linseed oil. Melt tar in pan, stir in turps, add pumice. Let a small amount cool and adjust amount of linseed oil to get desired consistency. Source: My own recipe.

3. Equal parts of beeswax and plaster of Paris. This is good for very thin, fully annealed non-ferrous metal worked shallowly. Again, my recipe.

and a recipe for a very stiff japanese black pine pitch:

Pine Rosin Pitch mixture: Matsu-yani

1 Kg finely ground fire clay or Plaster of Paris
750 grams of Pine Rosin
50 ml of vegetable oil
1 teaspoon of charcoal powder.

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jul 2, 2015

Kasan
Dec 24, 2006
Old fashioned pitch:

4 cups clarified pine pitch (sap that leaks from pine trees, heated at a low heat in a strainer to remove bus that aren't pure pitch)

2 cups powdered hardwood charcoal
1.5 cups very well ground vegetable matter (dried grass or ground rabbit poo poo work very well)

Mix and stir with a sick until everything is evenly coated on the stick. Avoid a direct open flame, poo poo is really flammable.

Probably makes a better glue for knife handles than for doing repoussé but :science:

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
So at my new internship we use Bondo as a fixture for cutting flight grade parts and that blows my mind. It takes a bit of indicating but if you can't clamp and you don't use much cutting pressure v0v.

I just wanted to share that because it is the greatest mix of machinist "yeah gently caress it, it should work" with engineering that I've ever seen.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcbTXlMSCwk

This is pretty amazing. Building a massive steam engine. Filmed in 1928.
Check out that power hammer they use to forge the drive rods! and all those sweet lathes.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Random Number posted:

So at my new internship we use Bondo as a fixture for cutting flight grade parts and that blows my mind. It takes a bit of indicating but if you can't clamp and you don't use much cutting pressure v0v.

I just wanted to share that because it is the greatest mix of machinist "yeah gently caress it, it should work" with engineering that I've ever seen.

There was a great article in Modern Machine Shop a few months ago profiling a shop that's started using UV-cure dental filling material to make thin-piece grinding setups, I'll try and find it in a bit.

E: http://www.mmsonline.com/articles/shop-finds-fixturing-solution-for-flexing-parts

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 5, 2015

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Random Number posted:

Cascade? Haha. My old work used to do that. It was great at dampening vibration in best-fit castings and came off really easy (if the parts were taped first).

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I have been looking at the Arc Pig http://www.arcpig.com/ I have access to an older lincoln AC/DC 225 (tombstone). With a tig torch, could I tig weld aluminum with this set up with the machine on AC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kasan
Dec 24, 2006

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I have been looking at the Arc Pig http://www.arcpig.com/ I have access to an older lincoln AC/DC 225 (tombstone). With a tig torch, could I tig weld aluminum with this set up with the machine on AC?

I've never heard of an arc pig before, but the video looks neat. Looks like it turns a cheapo welder into a mock high end Miller or LE. If you get one, trip report it.