Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Vernii posted:

In some designs the reaction chamber is spun like a centrifuge. This encourages the heavier uranium to stay in the chamber instead of leaking into the exhaust. This makes for a rather spectacular failure mode if the centrifuge's bearings seize.

But really how likely is that to happen, I say go for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Three-Phase posted:

In some places (particularly in the power generation industry):

Red light = On, closed, energized (red indicating a dangerous state)
Green light = Off, open, de-energized (green indicating a safe state)

But from location to location there are different indicator color schemes for different things, so you need to be careful. What's worse is that in some places on one piece of equipment it uses one color scheme, then on a vendor's piece of pre-manufactured equipment it's the other, and on another device it's another color scheme.

Also a green "safe" indication isn't a bulletproof vest. Like an open breaker to a capacitor bank, the capacitors might contain a lethal stored charge that may take a short while to discharge (or need to be manually discharged), and green also doesn't mean it's locked out and tagged out.

Some problems with your approach:

1. It seems to be an ad for cologne, which reminds me of the sort of "no means yes" toxic masculinity bullshit.
  2. It is next to a stoplight :dogbutton:

e: new page

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Rudager posted:

My wife says "close/open the light" instead of "turn off/on the light" and it drives me loving insane.

No amount of me explaining that closing the circuit turns the light on has every stopped her.

Is she a francophone?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

The Dark One posted:

Is she a francophone?

Chinese say "open" as well

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah it's definitely an ESL thing. My ex-girlfriend was from Spain and she'd say the same thing.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

chitoryu12 posted:

It's got instructions on how to build single shot pipe guns for .22 caliber, 9mm, .45 ACP, and .38 caliber pistols and pipe guns for 7.62mm rifle rounds and 12 gauge shotgun shells. Plus plenty of explosive and incendiary recipes and ways to use them (like a chemical-based Molotov in a plastic bottle and using a pipe and black powder to make a booby trap shotgun or grenade launcher). It even shows how you can refill spent primers with crushed strike-anywhere matches (normally firearm primers are the hardest part to improvise).

Okay thanks. I that is actually interesting I was expecting some weird poo poo more likey to blow up the person making it stuff.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

itskage posted:

Okay thanks. I that is actually interesting I was expecting some weird poo poo more likey to blow up the person making it stuff.

Oh, a lot of the stuff in the book is pretty likely to blow you up if you're not careful with it. Black powder is the simplest explosive there is to make from scratch, but one stray spark from using the wrong material for your tools or getting your mix a little too close to flame and goodbye everything. The book does let you make some more complex recipes, but you still want basic chemical safety knowledge (especially with the caustic acids used for some of them).

Even with an expert, homemade explosives with improvised ingredients and parts are always finicky. A perfectly built pipe bomb may fail to explode like you planned simply because the length of pipe you chose developed a crack or hole somewhere and it let all the pressure out without an earth-shattering kaboom. Or the fuse you got doesn't burn consistently every time, so you're off by a few seconds at least when you light and throw it.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Rudager posted:

My wife says "close/open the light" instead of "turn off/on the light" and it drives me loving insane.

No amount of me explaining that closing the circuit turns the light on has every stopped her.

I'm sorry. Seems like the teachings of "see, the power just behaves like water"-example, which is great in some cases for understanding but very, very bad in the real world.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
In my profession, red pen means 'All good, proceed for processing', black pen means 'Looks okay, but I need supporting documents', green pen means 'Better have a loving good reason for this or I'm calling the Fraud office.'

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
NMS

http://vidmax.com/video/115041--nsfw-The-way-these-2-died-will-leave-you-speachless

Not a very good or long video... it's probably better that way.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Yeah, :nms: for dead dudes and for the spelling of "speechless"

It's basically this in real life, if anyone's wondering:

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

Oh, a lot of the stuff in the book is pretty likely to blow you up if you're not careful with it. Black powder is the simplest explosive there is to make from scratch, but one stray spark from using the wrong material for your tools or getting your mix a little too close to flame and goodbye everything. The book does let you make some more complex recipes, but you still want basic chemical safety knowledge (especially with the caustic acids used for some of them).

Even with an expert, homemade explosives with improvised ingredients and parts are always finicky. A perfectly built pipe bomb may fail to explode like you planned simply because the length of pipe you chose developed a crack or hole somewhere and it let all the pressure out without an earth-shattering kaboom. Or the fuse you got doesn't burn consistently every time, so you're off by a few seconds at least when you light and throw it.

I remember reading through that TM as a teenager, and being awed at how easy some of the stuff was to make. I'm also still horrified to this day at the one variation of napalm that involves boiling goddamn gasoline to make it.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

Acid Reflux posted:

I remember reading through that TM as a teenager, and being awed at how easy some of the stuff was to make. I'm also still horrified to this day at the one variation of napalm that involves boiling goddamn gasoline to make it.

Here's someone's story about trying that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLXSt7eVDPU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Darwin Award winners.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

H2SO4 posted:

Here's someone's story about trying that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLXSt7eVDPU

I didn't try to make the one that involved boiling gasoline, BECAUSE HOW THE gently caress DO YOU BOIL GASOLINE WITHOUT MAKING A HUGE FIREBALL. But I did make the styrofoam napalm stuff. It was less fun to gently caress around with than normal gasoline.

Edit: Thanks BBS text files for giving me so many terrible ideas as a teen.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

jetz0r posted:

I didn't try to make the one that involved boiling gasoline, BECAUSE HOW THE gently caress DO YOU BOIL GASOLINE WITHOUT MAKING A HUGE FIREBALL. But I did make the styrofoam napalm stuff. It was less fun to gently caress around with than normal gasoline.

Edit: Thanks BBS text files for giving me so many terrible ideas as a teen.

The boiling point of gasoline is between 100 and 400 degrees Fahrenheit depending on the exact fuel; this is why gasoline evaporates over time (creating dangerously flammable fumes that are much easier to ignite than the liquid itself). The actual ignition temperature is about 495 degrees Fahrenheit, so you can safely boil it as long as there's no open flames around to risk igniting fumes. This is also why dropping a match or lighter in a puddle or tank of gasoline is more likely to extinguish the flame than ignite it, but dropping in a road flare or something means you better run.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

chitoryu12 posted:

The boiling point of gasoline is between 100 and 400 degrees Fahrenheit depending on the exact fuel; this is why gasoline evaporates over time (creating dangerously flammable fumes that are much easier to ignite than the liquid itself). The actual ignition temperature is about 495 degrees Fahrenheit, so you can safely boil it as long as there's no open flames around to risk igniting fumes. This is also why dropping a match or lighter in a puddle or tank of gasoline is more likely to extinguish the flame than ignite it, but dropping in a road flare or something means you better run.

I've always wanted to tape a road flare to a gas can and huck it at someone ever since I saw Broken Arrow

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

chitoryu12 posted:

Dropping a flare in a pool or open barrel of gasoline would only cause the surface to ignite.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

So what'd those dudes actually do.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

Wrapping up work.

Simply brushing something spinning is enough to get pulled in. Steel cable makes it even easier to get caught on. Maybe the second guy tried to help the first one.
Unless somebody knows a source, one can only guess why they got caught.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

chitoryu12 posted:

I actually mixed gasoline into a citronella bucket candle by pouring gas on top of the wax, and lighting it on fire to melt the contents, then covering the bucket to snuff out the fire and let the mixture cool. I didn't have any electric hot plates, so trying to boil gas would have involved an open flame under the container. Leading to the expected fire ball or column of flame. Or just accept that everything is going to be on fire and work from there.

This sounds like something from the FOOF thread, not very work related!

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Lurking Haro posted:

Wrapping up work.

Simply brushing something spinning is enough to get pulled in. Steel cable makes it even easier to get caught on. Maybe the second guy tried to help the first one.
Unless somebody knows a source, one can only guess why they got caught.

I've been at a couple of different motor manufacturing/rewinding shops. The motors they built ranged from small (couple hundred horsepower) to much larger (over 10,000 horsepower) electric motors and generators.

The machines are bolted down in a secure testing area and put through their paces - checked for things like proper temperature rise, current balance, overspeed (it's done but kinda' pointless for AC motor applications - I think it's more for generators) and vibration.

Sometimes I see guys working awfully close to the exposed drive end of the rotor! Especially during things like checking for vibration levels, checking for magnetic center, and balancing. Call me a worrywart but that makes me cringe when it comes time to check for those things.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 7, 2015

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Three-Phase posted:

I've been at a couple of different motor manufacturing/rewinding shops. The motors they built ranged from small (couple hundred horsepower) to much larger (over 10,000 horsepower) electric motors and generators.

The machines are bolted down in a secure testing area and put through their paces - checked for things like proper temperature rise, current balance, overspeed (it's done but kinda' pointless for AC motor applications - I think it's more for generators) and vibration.

Sometimes I see guys working awfully close to the exposed drive end of the rotor! Especially during things like checking for vibration levels, checking for magnetic center, and balancing. Call me a worrywart but that makes me cringe when it comes time to check for those things.

The correct OSHA complaint method is to wear the tear-away clothing Chippendale's dancers use, so if it gets caught on something you're left in your boxers wondering what the gently caress, instead of chunky salsa.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

jetz0r posted:

I actually mixed gasoline into a citronella bucket candle by pouring gas on top of the wax, and lighting it on fire to melt the contents, then covering the bucket to snuff out the fire and let the mixture cool. I didn't have any electric hot plates, so trying to boil gas would have involved an open flame under the container. Leading to the expected fire ball or column of flame. Or just accept that everything is going to be on fire and work from there.

This sounds like something from the FOOF thread, not very work related!

I had to do a double-take after reading that last sentence, because I was convinced I still was reading the FOOF thread.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Butane hash oil is where TCC meets OSHA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KHRxe9LAiU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Apparently I'm not very safe! *inflates welded metal sheets like a balloon*

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

rape culture invades amateur rocketry

and that dude's butt

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

simplefish posted:

Yeah, :nms: for dead dudes and for the spelling of "speechless"

:stare:

I didn't know humans could bend like that.

kanuck
Aug 27, 2004

I must remember to follow my own advice.

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

:stare:

I didn't know humans could bend like that.

They can't!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

kanuck posted:

They can't!

I'm still laughing at this.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Lurking Haro posted:

Maybe the second guy tried to help the first one.

Maybe the first guy instinctively grabbed the closest thing he could- the second guy.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Three-Phase posted:

Butane hash oil is where TCC meets OSHA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KHRxe9LAiU

If anything this is one of the safer things tcc ever did.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Groovelord Neato posted:

They were hugging it out.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
http://i.imgur.com/EzQcJEE.gifv

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

While it looks impressive, and curtain my is impressive he hasn't lost any fingers yet, that is an inefficient way if butchering pork. Depending on wages that while cutting sessions yields €0.5-1 per animal.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Looks like he slows down when his hands might pass the blade; I don't think he's being particularly cavalier.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Bandsaw aint nothin to gently caress with!

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Boiled Water posted:

While it looks impressive, and curtain my is impressive he hasn't lost any fingers yet, that is an inefficient way if butchering pork. Depending on wages that while cutting sessions yields €0.5-1 per animal.

Looks like a pretty standard way of butchering an animal. Carcass to primals at the slaughterhouse. Primals to specific cuts at the butcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

I get the sense a jigsaw is not meant to be used this way :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80bgLQuCLuk

I originally found this dude's videos from this thread, and I love them for the ingenuity and soothing nature of woodworking. But this one looks hilariously dangerous; I'd be afraid of that blade snapping off and flying up into my face or something.

• Locked thread