Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

We don't have remotely as much solar as we should in AZ.

I'm on the other main Phoenix electrical provider and I just have on-peak/off-peak rates, but they also offer at least three different on/off-peak plans. I'm on the traditional one where eight hours of every business day (M-F excluding major holidays) is considered on-peak. It's really not that bad to deal with, and even with the increased cost of cooling during on-peak, it still ends up saving money overall. Set the thermostat a bit more conservatively during on-peak and don't run any large appliances you can get away with (washer/dryer, dishwasher, etc).

They have two other options where only three hours a day are on-peak, but the rate during those three hours goes stupid high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Locator posted:

I am honestly surprised that peak rate plans aren't a thing everywhere. Bad assumption on my part.

Where I live (Phoenix AZ area) the rates are broken into Winter (November through April billing cycle) and Summer (May through October) for APS customers anyway.

Standard rate varies by usage on a tiered plan where the more you use the higher per kWh it is:
Winter - All .09417
Summer 1-400 kWh - .09687
Summer 401-800 kWh - .13817
Summer 801-3000 kWh - .16167
Summer 3001+ kWh - .17257

Peak / Off Peak rates:
Winter - .19847 / .06116
Summer - .24477 / .06118

Except for the hottest months, my solar panels generate more power than I use during peak times, so I only get on-peak power from the grid from June through September, and my credits accumulated during the winter more than offset this, so I actually never pay a single penny for on-peak power.

We're in nuke and coal country around here, 7.98 flat. Probably one of the reasons why there hasn't been a rush for peak billing, power is cheap.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

In Alameda (which has its own little splitter power company, we don't pay PG&E) there's an EV discount in addition to off-peak rates, but only if you use off-peak charging. It's not really a significant amount of money, but hey, double discount!

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

pun pundit posted:

I don't know if Tesla knew about this when they made their estimates on future battery costs, but it appears highly relevant that researchers claim to halve production cost on Li-Ion batteries. They've apparently already produced 10 000 batteries on assembly lines for testing.

A lot of these research press releases are really misleading. I would take anything these puff pieces say with a grain of salt.

One of the things mentioned in the article is that the battery they worked on is very similar to an established battery design which has a lower energy density than the more usual lithium battery technology. Energy density is a very important figure of merit for batteries for cars, and I would be surprised if any compromise in that area could be afforded.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jun 26, 2015

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
GM is claiming that Bolt prototypes are already at ~200 mile range and it will cost $30-40k. I haven't done any real digging or asked my sources yet about it, though.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
NVEnergy in Las Vegas offers time-of-use metering plus an additional discount for EV owners. I don't have it, though, because we're in a rental condo and I don't have 220V power to the garage. I trickle charge overnight and it usually takes longer than the 8-hour discount window.

When we buy a house, I'm totally going with rooftop solar + 220V + TOU. I could pay out of pocket to run 220V to the garage now (owner's OK with it) but a quote put it at about $3000 and I'm not terribly fond of paying for improvements to someone else's property.

Neo Mara
Apr 20, 2005

King Hotpants posted:

NVEnergy in Las Vegas offers time-of-use metering plus an additional discount for EV owners. I don't have it, though, because we're in a rental condo and I don't have 220V power to the garage. I trickle charge overnight and it usually takes longer than the 8-hour discount window.

When we buy a house, I'm totally going with rooftop solar + 220V + TOU. I could pay out of pocket to run 220V to the garage now (owner's OK with it) but a quote put it at about $3000 and I'm not terribly fond of paying for improvements to someone else's property.

If you have 2 110s in the garage on different breakers you could use something like this. $275
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYctcjvRx9I

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Why does no one seem to be seriously directly competing with Tesla? I don't know a lot about cars so maybe I'm just wrong but it doesn't seem like anyone else is trying to do what they're doing. All of the other EVs on the market seem to range from really slow, boring, and ugly to just sort of slow, boring and ugly. I don't even understand what the market is for a vehicle like this other than people who have way too much money and just want to say they have a fuel cell car.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Mirai

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

MaxxBot posted:

Why does no one seem to be seriously directly competing with Tesla? I don't know a lot about cars so maybe I'm just wrong but it doesn't seem like anyone else is trying to do what they're doing. All of the other EVs on the market seem to range from really slow, boring, and ugly to just sort of slow, boring and ugly. I don't even understand what the market is for a vehicle like this other than people who have way too much money and just want to say they have a fuel cell car.

The other manufacturers have huge legacy infrastructure to support. Basically they know how to build gas engines, so they build gas engines.
Starting over is mostly only viable when starting from scratch, otherwise it gets super expensive.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

MaxxBot posted:

All of the other EVs on the market seem to range from really slow, boring, and ugly to just sort of slow, boring and ugly.
In that vein, why does every EV or hybrid on the market apart from the Teslas, Lexus hybrids and the i8 have to carry the looks of a low-budget piece of poo poo?

It doesn't cost any more to make a car that's visually appealing, does it?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

In that vein, why does every EV or hybrid on the market apart from the Teslas, Lexus hybrids and the i8 have to carry the looks of a low-budget piece of poo poo?

I think you mean the Tesla looks like a booring real car, but the Prius and Insight look like space age toys because consumers associate the shape of the Prius with douche bags the future.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

The Locator posted:

Most people don't keep cars more than 5 years, so it's actually not a terrible decision basis for an individual buyer.

Actually, people in the US are now keeping their cars for 11 years on average before replacing them.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

I like how my Leaf looks :(

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

duz posted:

I like how my Leaf looks :(

They grow on you for sure.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

MaxxBot posted:

Tesla loses money making their cars and is not profitable. Even Tesla itself states that they do not anticipate turning a profit in the next 5 years. Companies that aren't startups can't afford to lose money like that

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 7, 2015

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Crotch Fruit posted:

I think you mean the Tesla looks like a booring real car, but the Prius and Insight look like space age toys because consumers associate the shape of the Prius with douche bags the future.

More importantly people like them and buy them. The success of the Prius honestly surprised even Toyota and everyone else has been playing catchup since in that market. It's hard to separate out all the various R&d costs and such, but by most accounts the Prius actually makes money, which is more than most EVs or hybrids can say.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 7, 2015

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Well it does considering its very expensive to apply all the electric car bits to the cheapest, smallest subcompact they make.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I've previously seen a white Tesla drive about when commuting, but yesterday I walked past a black one. drat they really are nice looking. I want one. :(

Lucky Norwegians.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Speaking of Norwegians, I just spent 36 hours in Oslo, and holy hell, so many Teslas. Including two roadsters.

I want one.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

ilkhan posted:

Maybe they'll add a button "start charging now", but the default option will be to wait for off-peak hours as the providers will be providing cost savings for doing that.

Do EVs other than the Leaf not have this? That's how I have mine set up.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Advent Horizon posted:

Tesla has it

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, I can schedule charging on the Zoe if I want to.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
My car and my EVSE both allow scheduled start time and also remote charge starting. I just charge on plug in though because my state has the power of cheap coal. (We offload the cost of acid rain on the East Coast like God intended).

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Advent Horizon posted:

I'm pretty sure it's only the base model of the Leaf like mine (:smith:) that don't have a way to schedule the charges. Unless I'm mistaken, the CARWINGS app lets you schedule a time to start charging.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
The Leaf has a charging timer and climate control timer you can access through the dash. I can't imagine it's turned off on the base model.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Mortanis posted:

The Leaf has a charging timer and climate control timer you can access through the dash. I can't imagine it's turned off on the base model.

It tells it when to stop charging, not start charging. It's pretty useless.

It's up there with "hey wait a minute why does bluetooth audio work fine on a phone call but there's no way to use it to listen to music?"

I have an alarm set when the cheapest rates start in my area and then I go out and plug my car in :smith:

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
That's odd. My 2013 Leaf has a start and stop timer (Just checked to be sure I wasn't crazy). I have mine set for 5PM to 7AM. I do have the SV, but I can't imagine that they actually turn off software features for various models.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

My Volt will schedule charging to off-peak, but it won't start charging, stop for peak hours, and then resume, it'll just wait till the peak hours are over, which is a bit dumb.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Both the i3 and i8 will do timed charging.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Mortanis posted:

That's odd. My 2013 Leaf has a start and stop timer (Just checked to be sure I wasn't crazy). I have mine set for 5PM to 7AM. I do have the SV, but I can't imagine that they actually turn off software features for various models.

Recall also that the base model doesn't have a touch screen stereo.

I believe that if you set up a base Leaf with a time to finish charging it will adjust the start time to finish when directed.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Why are you guys going through the trouble of setting the charging timer? Isn't the electricity cost of an electric car only something like a couple bucks per charge?

Does somebody who is willing to pay the premium on buying an electric car really care about a $20 a month or whatever savings due to buying cheaper electricity?

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 10, 2015

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

silence_kit posted:

Why are you guys going through the trouble of setting the charging timer? Isn't the electricity cost of an electric car only something like a couple bucks per charge?

Does somebody who is willing to pay the premium on buying an electric car really care about a $20 a month or whatever savings due to buying cheaper electricity?

Well, it's a bit like waiting for Wednesday for gas to drop 10c/liter before filling up, or avoiding filling up at highway service stations. Even people who use premium or drive luxury cars do that.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Linedance posted:

Well, it's a bit like waiting for Wednesday for gas to drop 10c/liter before filling up, or avoiding filling up at highway service stations. Even people who use premium or drive luxury cars do that.

Except that the car does it automatically for you, so why not?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

silence_kit posted:

Just because someone owns a relatively expensive car doesn't mean that they won't take steps to avoid needlessly wasting money. How do you think they became relatively wealthy in the first place?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

silence_kit posted:

Ha.

.... As I was saying earlier....

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Mange Mite posted:

Tesla loses money making their cars and is not profitable. Even Tesla itself states that they do not anticipate turning a profit in the next 5 years. Companies that aren't startups can't afford to lose money like that

Isn't that mostly because all their revenue gets reinvested towards the goal of making cars that commoners like us can afford (such as with the $5 billion battery plant)?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Cockmaster posted:

Isn't that mostly because all their revenue gets reinvested towards the goal of making cars that commoners like us can afford (such as with the $5 billion battery plant)?

Here's my problem with Tesla, they keep getting grants and tax breaks because the Model 3 is coming any day now! However it always seems to be just a year or two out, first it was 2016, then 2017 and now production should start in 2018. Not only that but I have no faith that the car won't start at $60,000 with higher end models going up to a few thousand less than the Model S since Tesla loves to give pricing with government incentives and "fuel savings" factored in. That said, I hope I am wrong, I really do; I hope they release the Model 3 at $35,000 sticker and I hope it's a huge success.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

As a reminder, when there are more than 250,000 PEVs sold in a calendar year in the U.S., the $7,500 tax credit evaporates, and stays gone.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'd bet that magically the EV's on sale have special dealer discounts applied, then the prices are quietly dropped to counter it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Anyone know what was in the Tesla software update that dropped last week?

• Locked thread