Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

The little noise when the missles get sucked into the puddles you drop by killing adds in Alex 1 is so good.
It's almost as good as the sound of a coblyn dying

ALMOST

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

ghostinmyshell posted:

In Neverreap for Waukkeon the boss guide says leave the Mists up until he spawns the rest, but most of the time I see people start dpsing them right away. What's the correct way to deal with the adds during his fight?

Every group I've run has killed the Mists add as it spawned. Generally I'll just kill it myself as a WHM if they don't bother.

Beautiful Ninja fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jul 8, 2015

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

ilifinicus posted:

It's almost as good as the sound of a Qiqirn dying

ALMOST

FIFY

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Thumbtacks posted:

So what's the difference between the healers, roughly? WHM feels very direct and easy, SCH feels more like it's about shields and poo poo, and AST feels kind of like WHM lite but with some sweet buffs.

I'm looking into healing because tanking is boring as hell and I'd like to be more useful than just a dumb damage dude. I'm digging AST right now, but I haven't really played the others enough to get a feel for them.

WHM has the greatest direct throughput, I believe. Nothing like Divine Seal+Medica 2+Assize to bring an entire party from near death to full. With HW they also got some nice offensive toys, and I routinely do mad deeps in any aoe situation.

SCH has better mitigation through it's shield mechanics (This also means people expect you to be paying attention and throwing down appropriate galvanizes before big hits. Same for WHM, but you can kind of get away with healing after the fact mostly). They also have the best panic buttons, with Lustrate being instant-cast and Indomitably being one of the best aoe heals currently, both instant-cast and free. Scholars have a slightly more complicated offensive repertoire, and below level 60 will usually do more damage than WHM or AST. I haven't gotten to 60 yet to test single-target dps (And pubbies never do dps for me to compare to).

My AST is level 31 so I can't really say.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

If your DPS is low, Perpetual Ray will hit harder and more times, you just have your OT provoke in the middle of the barrage to eat a few of the hits, no big deal

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
One of these hours Excalibur will open up, right? Right? :(

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Etrips posted:

It is easier to transfer over from another server. Just have to wait three days.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Kibner posted:

It is easier to transfer over from another server. Just have to wait three days.

Doesn't it cost $18 to transfer?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Sarrisan posted:

WHM has the greatest direct throughput, I believe. Nothing like Divine Seal+Medica 2+Assize to bring an entire party from near death to full. With HW they also got some nice offensive toys, and I routinely do mad deeps in any aoe situation.

SCH has better mitigation through it's shield mechanics (This also means people expect you to be paying attention and throwing down appropriate galvanizes before big hits. Same for WHM, but you can kind of get away with healing after the fact mostly). They also have the best panic buttons, with Lustrate being instant-cast and Indomitably being one of the best aoe heals currently, both instant-cast and free. Scholars have a slightly more complicated offensive repertoire, and below level 60 will usually do more damage than WHM or AST. I haven't gotten to 60 yet to test single-target dps (And pubbies never do dps for me to compare to).

My AST is level 31 so I can't really say.

Okay, cool. I'm trying to learn all three of the roles so I can help out wherever people need it. I'm comfortable with MCH and MNK, I'd like to get BLM to 60 but I'll do that eventually.... My tank choices are a bit harder. I have PLD and WAR at 50, and my DRK is 54. I want to like DRK but I always feel like I'm not really mitigating anything. It feels weird.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Etrips posted:

He did say "easier", not "cheaper".

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Rei_ posted:

If your DPS is low, Perpetual Ray will hit harder and more times, you just have your OT provoke in the middle of the barrage to eat a few of the hits, no big deal

Can you taunt perpetual Ray? I thought you could only taunt the tank buster

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Etrips posted:

I know it costs money. It's the easiest way, though.

biopanda
Sep 28, 2007

Anyone want the dubious honor of using my first Recruit code? RU59QCC4

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Stormgale posted:

Can you taunt perpetual Ray? I thought you could only taunt the tank buster

maybe I'm getting the attacks mixed up but it's the one that comes out right after discord and hits the tank several times. You can provoke in the middle of it.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
Anyone on Excalibur that has 60 BSM and would like to try making an HQ Adamantite Sledgehammer? I've tried reaching out to a few BSMs that are 60 but they're either afk or not on when I am. I have the HQ mats and crystals!

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

biopanda posted:

Anyone want the dubious honor of using my first Recruit code? RU59QCC4

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3726688&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I'm trying to use a controller but for some reason O X and triangle are all mixed up. Is there a way to fix it?

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Every group I've run has killed the Mists add as it spawned. Generally I'll just kill it myself as a WHM if they don't bother.

I've seen it successfully run both ways, and it's not like the boss' charge attack is particularly hard to avoid, but even so getting hit by a twister at the wrong time can stun you long enough to take 2-3 hits from the boss, and on a non-tank that coupled with a mist turret can be kinda dangerous.

The way I see it though if your dps is good/okay the difference is probably negligible, and if they're bad it's not magically gonna make them not bad to leave more adds on the field.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

RC Cola posted:

I'm trying to use a controller but for some reason O X and triangle are all mixed up. Is there a way to fix it?

There should be a button configuration option on the main menu that lets you configure your pad. Also make sure you have controller type set to PS3/4 type and not ABXY type.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

RC Cola posted:

Do a calibration in the controller section of the System Config menu, pictured below. I get weird poo poo like "left on analog stick=jump" sometimes and have to do this.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

petcarcharodon posted:

They'll also both self destruct if your dps is absolute garbage.

Would open around 1k dps then go down to 600 from all the jump resets. At the end most of the other dps couldn't kill the adds before the jump each time, haha.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I'm the tank who watched with great sadness as my A1 DF run ended in an enrage.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Moldy Taxes posted:

I'm the tank who watched with great sadness as my A1 DF run ended in an enrage.

Be a warrior and just carry your group

Rei_
May 16, 2004

do any of these fights have an enrage? I've seen several people mistake Self Destruct on A1 for an Enrage. A4 has a soft enrage i think because he keeps getting DMG+ stacks as the fight progresses, but I don't think at any point he'll outright wipe the room

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

Current holder of the Plush-bum Mr. Sweets Chair in American Hobology

Dr Snofeld posted:

A tip for DF groups if you know the fight and are explaining it is to be more verbose, assuming people stand still long enough to read what you're saying. Spoilered just in case:

In the first party I had for Alexander floor 1, one of the other DPS (who was a crappy little bullshit man but that's not important) said something like "kill adds in red bits under comets" and it took a few attempts for us to understand what that even meant, the lasers being a bit inconspicuous if you don't know what to look for, and besides they're not even comets.

Whereas in the next party I had (the previous one wiping repeatedly for an hour while the crappy little bullshit man BRD complained) I explained it like: "The adds in this fight drop goop puddles when they die that cause Mini. In the second phase, laser sights appear below big missiles that fall slowly, like in Xande. We need to kill a mob underneath each laser sight so that the missile gets hit with Mini and doesn't do huge damage." We wiped a few times but never to the missiles themselves (except at the end when we got too greedy trying to burn a boss down. I got five commendations when we cleared that, although it was possibly less cos of my explanations and more the surprise of a halfway-competent DRG.

Yeah, the first time I did that fight the stooge that explained it said 'Let the red lines hit the adds, you need two' and we had a solid four wipes of people trying to drag it into where the boss's laser AoEs overlapped until someone actually explained the fight while the first guy huffed indignantly, and then we actually got it immediately.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Rei_ posted:

do any of these fights have an enrage? I've seen several people mistake Self Destruct on A1 for an Enrage. A4 has a soft enrage i think because he keeps getting DMG+ stacks as the fight progresses, but I don't think at any point he'll outright wipe the room
As mentioned above, Self Destruct is an enrage. If the fight goes on for a painfully long time they will BOTH cast it.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Rei_ posted:

Self Destruct in A1 is an enrage. If your DPS is complete rear end and you get to like 10 cycles they'll come down and start channeling Self Destruct together.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Self destruct hit me twice, both bosses were at 5-10%.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Bland posted:

Self Destruct in A1 is an enrage. If your DPS is complete rear end and you get to like 10 cycles they'll come down and start channeling Self Destruct together.

Somehow this has happened to me all 4 times I've tried the fight in the duty finder and it makes me want to get a parser just to see how bad the dps is. Like, last run I had 2 dragoons, a monk, and a ninja and I understand playing these melee classes can be tricky, but I am really curious how much damage they were actually outputting.

edit: A friend of mine doing the parser mentioning both he as heals and the tank were doing more damage than the dragoon in a dungeon once made me sad. It seems like the parser can also bring sadness.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Be a warrior and just carry your group

I tried staying in Deliverance once, and my Oppressor went from behind by 10% to ahead by 15%. It's great because when mine's behind by like 2-3% I can knock out a berserk double cleave and even them out again, but with some groups I'm afraid if I push it too hard they'll kill mine really early.

Evader
May 20, 2008

One morning, when I woke up, there was a lizard in my room.

Etrips posted:

I just made a character on there after the previous maintenance. I just had to set an alarm to wake up when it was scheduled to be over.

You are in luck: there's another one tonight! Just wake up at 6AM EST (or 5:30 if you really want to be sure) and hop on right after the servers come back on.

Or pay 18bux, whatever you prefer.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Volt Catfish posted:

Somehow this has happened to me all 4 times I've tried the fight in the duty finder and it makes me want to get a parser just to see how bad the dps is. Like, last run I had 2 dragoons, a monk, and a ninja and I understand playing these melee classes can be tricky, but I am really curious how much damage they were actually outputting.

edit: A friend of mine doing the parser mentioning both he as heals and the tank were doing more damage than the dragoon in a dungeon once made me sad. It seems like the parser can also bring sadness.

That is absolutely the main emotion that parsers will evoke when you're DF'ing it up. Only one single time in A1, A3 and A4 have I have been out damaged and I'm playing Bard in parties full of DRGs MNKs and SMNs. And a lot of the time these people are completely failing/ignoring mechanics in their pursuit of garbage DPS. It would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad.

Bland fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 8, 2015

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I always wonder how much of that is exaggeration. Even without Heavy Thrust up Impulse Drive is still more damage than most early tank combos and it's sort of hard to mess up pressing one button.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Even without Heavy Thrust up Impulse Drive is still more damage than most early tank combos and it's sort of hard to mess up pressing one button.

Yeah, but it's very easy to fall asleep.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
Just hit 60 on my white mage ... noww what? Where should I be grinding tomes at?

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Can you transfer from any Data Center into Excalibur? Might as well just gently caress around and see if I like the game and then pay a transfer in order to play with goons, unless I find a decent EU guild, because goons are hardly worth 18$.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Meowbot posted:

Just hit 60 on my white mage ... noww what? Where should I be grinding tomes at?

Do your daily roulettes, unlock the two expert dungeons and do that roulette, too. You'll often times get newbie bonuses in your roulettes, and the law gear is very cheap. You'll be awash in tome gear in no time.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Can you transfer from any Data Center into Excalibur? Might as well just gently caress around and see if I like the game and then pay a transfer in order to play with goons, unless I find a decent EU guild, because goons are hardly worth 18$.

I transferred to excal to play with goons and it has been more than worth the $18. I had a decent FC on gilgamesh but it was rife with drama. I couldn't get into a solid static because my FC didn't have a spot for me or time didn't work out and different pub statics were either full of lovely people or had demands I couldn't meet.

I moved servers and was almost instantly able to jump into a static that matched my availability, sense of humor, etc and we've been clearing everything pretty well mostly just dicking around.

There are three goon FCs that are all some of the most active in the world let alone on the server. There are dozens to hundreds of goons online at any time. With a few notable exceptions, almost everyone is chill and helpful. I can't really recount a bad goon experience other than people just needing to :gitgud:

It is absolutely worth the pain to get on this server. I convinced personal friends to come over from other servers and their reaction has all been positive as well.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

When you transfer does your friends list turn into a large pile of <deleted>? If you transfer back are those replaced with the original people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Bland posted:

:stare:

We almost beat it after only a single cycle last night, how do you even go to four?

• Locked thread