Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Can you build playlists and share them with other users, like Spotify and Google music can?

you can make playlists and share them but there are no collaborative playlists like in Spotify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

iCloud music uploading is totally broken here for me. Also getting all my Apple playlists as doubled in iTunes. Holy gently caress this is so bad. It's all good on iOS but having to use iTunes at all...jesus.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
iTunes works great for me most of the time on Windows 8, but my computer is also beastly, too...

Yeah, I'm loving the For You section. Honestly, it's the killer app for me over Spotify. I was getting so frustrated finding new music I liked on there the past year. Current first playlist listed on my For You? "Best of Music from Cameron Crowe Films: Almost Famous is only the beginning".....:thumbsup:

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Interesting thing I discovered today while becoming frustrated with the same suggested playlists over and over: when I search "death metal" in the search bar and hit enter, I can search Playlists pertaining to the genre that are essentially unable to be found organically through the app otherwise. Useful tidbit for someone like me who wants something very specific. I found some Playlists curated by Decibel Magazine that weren't coming up whatsoever in "For You."

e: how come nothing seems to be syncing between "hearted" things in iTunes on my Mac and Music on my iPhone? Feel like that should be seamless.

e2: searching for a particular album that I actually have installed on my hard drive results in the album on Apple Music where apparently only two tracks are available. Why not default to what I have available locally? That's pretty disjointed.

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jul 8, 2015

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
There was a tool announced recently: StAMP. It claims to port playlists over to Apple Music but it doesn't. It searches the tracks and adds them to your library. That's it. Worst part is if you have the track added already, it doesn't do poo poo. If it searches for a song and it's from an album of the same name, it'll break.

Oh and the dev fixed none of these issues and is now changing five foreign dollars for it. Do not buy it. Mock me for saying foreign dollars because I'm too lazy to find the pound sign or say pounds

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
Im running into UX issues pretty much immediately. Im trying to add some albums to My Music , but apparently if i want to add multiple albums from the same artist i have to click each individual album to be able to Add To My Music? All i can do from the Artist page is share it, but i dont want to do that. :mad:

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

queertea posted:

I should have specified that I only have experience with the PC version. All indications seem to be that the OS X version is infinitely better.

OS X version feels less like it could fall apart at any time but it's still not great imo

user interface wise music could honestly be better; the tiny touch targets and overflow menus in the iOS app are somewhat irritating. the desktop app has some oddities as well - you can get a context menu for songs by either right clicking or clicking the overflow menu, with each presenting options that are different but not completely. just weird and inelegant.

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jul 8, 2015

ChadSexington
Aug 12, 2004
I am so not competitive. In fact, I am the least non-competitive. So I win.

Generic Monk posted:

OS X version feels less like it could fall apart at any time but it's still not great imo

Yeah, it's pretty obvious that all the effort went into the iOS app and iTunes (even on OS X) just got shoved out at the last minute with a ton of bugs. I really hope they can get everything fixed and polished over the next three months, or sticking with Google Music is a no-brainer for me.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Matching part isn't really up to scratch. I have the latest ASAP rocky album on my iTunes. It's also on apple music but now that I'm using iCloud music library it's trying to upload that album so it's currently unavailable. What a crock

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The new episode of St. Vincent is pretty good. Country themed but all good selections.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Hey Apple Music, I have the entire discography of Sugar. I don't need an "Intro to: Sugar" playlist. :colbert:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Drastic Actions posted:

Hey Apple Music, I have the entire discography of Sugar. I don't need an "Intro to: Sugar" playlist. :colbert:

Haha, I get these for a lot of artists I like. I just treat them as a greatest hits playlist and go from there because maybe that's what I want at that moment.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
I'm contemplating switching from Google Music to this thing, do I need to get iTunes Music match? I have my iTunes synced with my 40 gigs of stuff but I have no idea how to get my phone to show that without spending $24.99 a year.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

ChadSexington posted:

Yeah, it's pretty obvious that all the effort went into the iOS app and iTunes (even on OS X) just got shoved out at the last minute with a ton of bugs. I really hope they can get everything fixed and polished over the next three months, or sticking with Google Music is a no-brainer for me.

nah that's just how iTunes has always felt

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

nerdrum posted:

I'm contemplating switching from Google Music to this thing, do I need to get iTunes Music match? I have my iTunes synced with my 40 gigs of stuff but I have no idea how to get my phone to show that without spending $24.99 a year.

the 'iCloud music library' feature of apple music is functionally identical to iTunes match - you don't need a match subscription if you've got apple music

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

nerdrum posted:

It includes matching service, so no.

I just noticed that the NPR Radio station changed to my local NPR station (WAMU 88.5). Has that happened for anyone else?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

nerdrum posted:

That's a feature of Apple Music now, it uploads your library to iCloud. Make note that it doesn't replicate Match's features entirely, as you're not getting the whole DRM free download versions as part of this, but if all you care about is listening to your library on your phone then this won't be a problem.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

nerdrum posted:

The way I understand it is:

iTunes Match will allow you to match/upload your library* then stream or re-download the songs either in original format if uploaded, or (up to?) 256K AAC if matched.

Apple Music includes the ability to match/upload your library* then stream or re-download the songs in original format if uploaded, or if matched in .m4p copy protected format which will only play through Apple software while you have an active Apple Music subscription.

* limited to 25000 songs, excluding iTunes Store purchases.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Server problems? I haven't been able to get anything to stream that I don't already have for a day now almost.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I can stream albums and playlists and download music, but Radio isn't working.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
iCloud Music Library will randomly break when adding tracks to My Music. It'll show the cloud with the lightning, gray all my music that isn't local, and can't be accessed again unless I sign out and sign back in.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

89 posted:

Server problems? I haven't been able to get anything to stream that I don't already have for a day now almost.

I reset my phone and it started working again..

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

noirstronaut posted:

iCloud Music Library will randomly break when adding tracks to My Music. It'll show the cloud with the lightning, gray all my music that isn't local, and can't be accessed again unless I sign out and sign back in.

I've been trying to upload my library for the past few days on a wired connection , the service is totally poo poo at the moment.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Michael Scott posted:

For me, clicking the genres dropdown in the New section and hitting a genre does nothing. Anyone else or is my computer broken?

Can I get a definitive answer on this? How can this still be broken? Or do I have to do something else after clicking the button..

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Same thing is happening for me. It won't change no matter what I pick.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
How can a company release a piece of software like that with such a glaring bug? No other company could get away with such poo poo quality, wtf. A smaller company offering something like that for free would have business consequences, let alone a trial for something they expect people to pay $10 a month for. But Apple doesn't give a gently caress haha.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Just look at video games. The norm for any big game now a days is it will be broken on launch.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
It worked on OSX, but didn't work on Windows :shrug:

Also this:

I started to upload more of my songs to iCloud. iCloud made some creative choices with the metadata and album art. So close, and yet, so far.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

Michael Scott posted:

Can I get a definitive answer on this? How can this still be broken? Or do I have to do something else after clicking the button..

I had this problem, and could only make it work by selecting a genre and then clicking the center of that dropdown (as if it were a button.) Something's clearly not quite right there, but that approach was consistent at least.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

I had this problem, and could only make it work by selecting a genre and then clicking the center of that dropdown (as if it were a button.) Something's clearly not quite right there, but that approach was consistent at least.

Nice, finally!! Thanks for the hot tip. It works if you select a genre, then click the button two more times like you said it goes to the right page.

Now I can get to the A-Lists, and they seem pretty sweet to catch up on the best of new music every few weeks in each genre.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jul 9, 2015

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

The way I understand it is:

iTunes Match will allow you to match/upload your library* then stream or re-download the songs either in original format if uploaded, or (up to?) 256K AAC if matched.

Apple Music includes the ability to match/upload your library* then stream or re-download the songs in original format if uploaded, or if matched in .m4p copy protected format which will only play through Apple software while you have an active Apple Music subscription.

* limited to 25000 songs, excluding iTunes Store purchases.
And I think they're different libraries that they're matching against, presumably since the iTunes Store and Apple Music/Beats stuff was done under separate contracts. But otherwise that's basically it afaik, they both can act as storage lockers but Match gives you access to the DRM free store files that you can keep forever if you download them, while with Apple Music it's all tied to the subscription, but you get access to the whole Apple Music library vs just what you have (but then it costs a lot more per year).

Anyway got a question myself, can you do only streaming without turning on the library matching? From reading the last page it sounds like it's separate (that's the "iCloud Music Library" I guess?) but just wanted to confirm. If I keep it going I'll go for the whole shebang but for the trial I just want to check out what's available first.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
I have a live bootleg that's not on Apple Music so I added it to iTunes (PC version) and clicked File > Library > Update iCloud Music Library. Only some of the tracks end up on my iPhone, and when they do they're the studio versions from the album instead of the live recording. I even changed the names of the tracks so it's, for example, "On The Phone (live)" for the bootleg version as opposed to just "On The Phone" on the studio album. All the tracks that don't show up on my phone are ones that aren't available on Apple Music.

From what I can see, what it does when I add my own mp3 files to iTunes, it works fine from my computer, but on my iPhone it seems to scan Apple Music for a similarly named song, and if it finds one, uses it instead of my own file. And then for some reason the songs that aren't on Apple Music never make it to my phone (in iTunes it shows them with a little dotted line cloud symbol that says waiting).

Is there a way to fix this without turning off iCloud Music Library? I think I was having trouble syncing with it off.

Monday_ fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jul 9, 2015

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Michael Scott posted:

How can a company release a piece of software like that with such a glaring bug? No other company could get away with such poo poo quality, wtf. A smaller company offering something like that for free would have business consequences, let alone a trial for something they expect people to pay $10 a month for. But Apple doesn't give a gently caress haha.

I dunno if you've caught onto this yet, but nobody is paying for Apple Music until 3 months from now.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Even then, iTunes has been poo poo for quite some time.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
Has anyone else encountered specific tracks refusing to be added to your library? I'm seeing it with "Brian Wilson" by Barenaked Ladies (from "Gordon") and "Thank You for Sending Me an Angel" (from "More Songs About Buildings and Food [Deluxe Edition]") and "This Must Be the Place" (from "Speaking in Tongues [Deluxe Edition]") by Talking Heads. Trying to add them from either iTunes on my Mac or Music on my iPhone doesn't work no matter how many times I try, whether adding the songs individually or the entire album. Doing it on my phone appears to work, but it doesn't propagate to my Mac, and if I disable and re-enable iCloud Music Library on my phone, they disappear. Same tracks every time. It's driving me crazy. I know it's early days yet with Apple Music but it's been astonishingly buggy for me.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

The rear end Stooge posted:

Has anyone else encountered specific tracks refusing to be added to your library? I'm seeing it with "Brian Wilson" by Barenaked Ladies (from "Gordon") and "Thank You for Sending Me an Angel" (from "More Songs About Buildings and Food [Deluxe Edition]") and "This Must Be the Place" (from "Speaking in Tongues [Deluxe Edition]") by Talking Heads. Trying to add them from either iTunes on my Mac or Music on my iPhone doesn't work no matter how many times I try, whether adding the songs individually or the entire album. Doing it on my phone appears to work, but it doesn't propagate to my Mac, and if I disable and re-enable iCloud Music Library on my phone, they disappear. Same tracks every time. It's driving me crazy. I know it's early days yet with Apple Music but it's been astonishingly buggy for me.

I've been having this issue with Gold by Kiiara. No idea what to do to fix it, but the song exists on my phone if I add it from there and never disable Cloud Music Library. iTunes is just a giant heap of poo poo and Apple probably won't fix it for some time.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Two questions:
1) Is there a way to "pin" an artist-based station I like a lot to jump to it quickly in future, or do I just have to hope it's in my 3 most recent stations if I want to find it quicker than searching for it again?
2) If I'm listening to a station based off an artist and a song I really love comes on, is there a quick way to jump to the album it's from to add to My Music or do I have to search manually for it?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
2) Press three dots and then press the artist/song/album/artwork button at the very top of that list.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Athletic Footjob posted:

2) Press three dots and then press the artist/song/album/artwork button at the very top of that list.
Thank you!! For some reason I didn't even think that was going to be a button so I just never tried it. Pretty stupid on my part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Does clicking "Make available for offline play" on an album automatically add it to your My Music also? I watched my GF add several albums to her collection last night, and she clicked on "add to my music" each time before she hit "make available for offline play".

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jul 9, 2015

• Locked thread