Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Korgan posted:

RIP Funky Valentine's computer

That's a musket underneath the laser poo poo :ssh:

E3's game, RPG, and PC game of the show thought of everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

computer parts posted:

What about "Antebellum"?

Yeah, seriously. Or how about "Post-War," the descriptor many of us have used to describe Fallout's aesthetic?

It's actually pretty drat common for people to describe the modern world in terms of major events from the near or distant past. Our calenders date from eras when people believed in unicorns and "sorcerer" was a legitimate profession. The stars in the sky are named after monsters and gods no one believes in anymore. Five hundred years ago, an inept Italian rear end in a top hat got lost on the way to India and now I live in the "New World," in a country named after a different Italian rear end in a top hat, in a state named after a fictional country from a 500-year-old adventure, novel town named after a Spanish saint whose name most of us knowingly mispronounce. The languages we speak, the stories we tell, the names on our drivers' licenses -- they're all full of half remembered allusions, garbled references, and metaphors we don't know are metaphors. When we use words like "quixotic" or "philistine," or talk about Trojan horses, good Samaritans, and Pyrrhic victories, we're recalling times and places that are utterly removed from our direct experience, but stick around not because we're all a bunch of classics-obsessed Victorians, but because they signify something, even if their modern meaning is divorced from the original context. Why do we still talk about chivalry when no one fights on horseback anymore? Why do we still call people "hillbillies" more than a century after the Civil War? Who even knows what a "scapegoat" originally was? The past doesn't die, it just gets mangled beyond recognition.

The great thing about post-apocalyptic (or post-post-apocalyptic if you want to be that guy) fiction is that we get to see our own era filtered through that same cracked lens. You can have stories about the self-proclaimed "Ayatollah of Rockandrolla" trying to steal people's "guzzoline," or guys with swords and powdered wigs killing heathens in the name of Lord Washington, or a megacity in the wasteland where the "judges" execute criminals on sight, or a planet where apemen ride around on horseback and weird mole people worship an atom bomb. A lot of this can be mistaken for random wackiness (and Fallout has its fair share of that), but at its best, the post-apocalyptic genre serves as a jagged reflection of our own society's flaws and foibles and challenges our preconceptions of both the future and the past.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

The thing I liked about 3's setting was the use of vertical space, I think. Like if Primm had been in 3, the entire town would have been built on and under the rollercoaster track. It made locations more memorable to me.

I also liked that the more urban parts of the DC ruins kinda felt like a dungeon with skyscrapers and (admittedly very same-y) subways. It was an extra dangerous place with limited pathways and lots of explorable locations tucked in. In hindsight, most of the locations were kind of pointless, but in that first playthrough there was sense of "who knows what I'll find next."

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Duckbag posted:

Yeah, seriously. Or how about "Post-War," the descriptor many of us have used to describe Fallout's aesthetic?

It would be good if that's what FO:3 did, except people talk about a war that happened at least 3 generations ago (maybe more, since living in an irradiated wasteland would probably drop the average life expectancy) as if it happened to them.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

sector_corrector posted:

It would be good if that's what FO:3 did, except people talk about a war that happened at least 3 generations ago (maybe more, since living in an irradiated wasteland would probably drop the average life expectancy) as if it happened to them.

People in ancient Rome talked about Hannibal a millennia after it happened, some stuff just leaves a huge cultural scar.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

None of us have ever recovered from Napoleon, really, whose hat I hope you can wear in this game.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I think for a proper comparison, you'd need to go back to the Chicxulubian-Meteor war of 66,000,000 BC. We lost that one too.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
There haven't been any dodos for centuries and you still hear them crop up in conversation occasionally.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Nevets posted:

I think for a proper comparison, you'd need to go back to the Chicxulubian-Meteor war of 66,000,000 BC. We lost that one too.

dinosaur parachute account spotted

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Really, this whole time, Fallout has actually been world leaders trying nuke the planet to the point where it will be unpalatable for Lavos and he'll leave.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Are there any novels out there that capture the Fallout feel? I've read "The Road".

Also, I'm kinda in agreement with some of you on how built up and strange the world feels. I realize that it is a video game, but there are certain caves and houses that I'm visiting on my current New Vegas replay and there's just too many things laying around. You're telling me someone came in and shot up all these people but didn't take their poo poo? In the Fallout universe? That's literally all I do- kill people and take their poo poo. And hundreds of years and there are still untapped first aid kits? And people live in rooms with garbage all over the floor. Seriously? You LIVE here now. This isn't just temporary shelter, this is your home. Pick up those newspapers from 200 years ago and throw some of that poo poo outside. It can't be that hard to tidy up, apocalypse or not. And who is filling cash registers and locked safes in abandoned grocery stores with bottle caps?

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE these games, and I LOVE the setting and LOVE the genre, but if you take yourself out of it for a minute, it is a little silly at times. I currently have over 36 THOUSAND bottle caps on my character. Wonder what that sounds like.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

frajaq posted:

First objective of the game: murder Preston so I can steal his outfit

As a player of Fallout women I want that old lady's outfit, and I don't care how I get it. If I have to explode her with a planted grenade then so be it.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Duckbag posted:

It's actually pretty drat common for people to describe the modern world in terms of major events from the near or distant past. Our calenders date from eras when people believed in unicorns and "sorcerer" was a legitimate profession. The stars in the sky are named after monsters and gods no one believes in anymore. Five hundred years ago, an inept Italian rear end in a top hat got lost on the way to India and now I live in the "New World," in a country named after a different Italian rear end in a top hat, in a state named after a fictional country from a 500-year-old adventure, novel town named after a Spanish saint whose name most of us knowingly mispronounce. The languages we speak, the stories we tell, the names on our drivers' licenses -- they're all full of half remembered allusions, garbled references, and metaphors we don't know are metaphors. When we use words like "quixotic" or "philistine," or talk about Trojan horses, good Samaritans, and Pyrrhic victories, we're recalling times and places that are utterly removed from our direct experience, but stick around not because we're all a bunch of classics-obsessed Victorians, but because they signify something, even if their modern meaning is divorced from the original context. Why do we still talk about chivalry when no one fights on horseback anymore? Why do we still call people "hillbillies" more than a century after the Civil War? Who even knows what a "scapegoat" originally was? The past doesn't die, it just gets mangled beyond recognition.

The great thing about post-apocalyptic (or post-post-apocalyptic if you want to be that guy) fiction is that we get to see our own era filtered through that same cracked lens. You can have stories about the self-proclaimed "Ayatollah of Rockandrolla" trying to steal people's "guzzoline," or guys with swords and powdered wigs killing heathens in the name of Lord Washington, or a megacity in the wasteland where the "judges" execute criminals on sight, or a planet where apemen ride around on horseback and weird mole people worship an atom bomb. A lot of this can be mistaken for random wackiness (and Fallout has its fair share of that), but at its best, the post-apocalyptic genre serves as a jagged reflection of our own society's flaws and foibles and challenges our preconceptions of both the future and the past.

:golfclap:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

New Leaf posted:

Are there any novels out there that capture the Fallout feel? I've read "The Road".
The Penultimate Truth by Philip K. Dick is about people living in a giant fallout shelter building robots for a war going on in the post apocalyptic hellscape above. I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream is the novel the entire Tranquility Lane quest is based so heavily on. I'd read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and watch Blade Runner before Fallout 4, since the entire quest concerning The Institute and Harkness in Fallout 3 was one long Blade Runner reference.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Rutibex posted:

People in ancient Rome talked about Hannibal a millennia after it happened, some stuff just leaves a huge cultural scar.
I don't think it's a matter of not wanting the post-apocalyptic world to talk about the old world or the war. In New Vegas, it is clear that civilization is very defined by the Old World at least in the sense that history will be defined as a before and an after for a very long time.

But society continues on. The Brotherhood of Steel, Kings, and Followers are straight up religious groups. The Khans, Boomers, and Legion are new and unique cultures. The Mojave is frontier land, but there's a sense of history to it all. There already was a great war between the Legion and NCR with monuments to people who sacrificed. The Khans have already had to face near genocide and move homes. The Mojave feels like a place where the war happened and another 200 years of other poo poo also happened.

And to be fair, there are some touches like that in Fallout 3, but it feels more nebulous and not as well defined as the Mojave's history.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
From last page but I clearly remember him saying you can build anywhere, just that there's a few spots they put in that they think would be ideal locations to build.

Lil Bit O Vitriol
Jan 10, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

From last page but I clearly remember him saying you can build anywhere, just that there's a few spots they put in that they think would be ideal locations to build.

"There are many large sites in the game world where we allow you to build"

I'm guessing that means that you can only build in certain predefined areas however those areas are scattered around the game world so you will be able to build multiple settlements around the map.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

We are all born into a world that worships rules and regulations, dominated by captains of industries who have perfected the science of exploiting all subordinate classes. Yes, Dr. Jared Diamond would argue that the struggle of "haves" and "have nots" is essentially eternal (at least since the formulation of agrarian society), but our growing interconnectedness has bred an acute self-awareness of our plights, and formerly nebulous concepts like "inequality" have been quantified (for example, via Gini Coefficients) and laid bare before us in a clinical manner. Medieval serfs had no more knowledge of their capitulations than a feral ghoul understands what it has become--ignorant, they are born, they live, and they die. But modern man is a ghoul looking in the mirror and finding nothing but self-contempt and a restlessness to escape its own existence...to rewrite the history that has chained it to this predicament.

Our infatuation with post-apocalyptic settings is the purest form of escapism. It heralds the end of the society that constrains us and replaces it with a lawless free-for-all where we don't need to commute to work, to pay taxes, to eat our vegetables or wash ourselves. In this sense, New Vegas' post-post-apocalyptic setting was "too close for comfort" for some because it reintroduced many of the things that remind them of their actual, miserable lives: Bureaucracy and mercantilism, bogus fiat currencies and big government, food prices and Wayne Newton. It even had a mode where you had to eat, drink, and sleep, which are things from real life.

For these very reasons, Fallout 3 was appealing to some because of its unambiguous desolation. We explore the skeleton of civilization, we writhe around in the poo poo and the muck, and we eat centuries-old food and lick toilet bowls clean. We're a thousand miles from anything that could remind us of reality or an actual, functioning world. It's a fantasy that unsatisfied people can crawl inside and use to temporarily emancipate themselves from the rigors of "IRL". As a result, unhappier people tend to gravitate towards Fallout 3.

I wish you could sit behind me as I played the game, providing a deep and thoughtful narrative that dares to explore the origins of a morbid affinity for using grenades as my main.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

My biggest hope for the new construction system is that they've implemented a way to dynamically alter the navmeshes, rather than just have specific areas that switch on & off depending on whether you build a building there. It's possible that the predefined areas are only there to guide players into building settlements in optimal areas away from major settlements / encounter set pieces & with plenty of room to grow. It's also possible the predefined areas are just setup with special navmeshes that support being changed as the game runs and everywhere else it's like it always has been.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nevets posted:

My biggest hope for the new construction system is that they've implemented a way to dynamically alter the navmeshes, rather than just have specific areas that switch on & off depending on whether you build a building there. It's possible that the predefined areas are only there to guide players into building settlements in optimal areas away from major settlements / encounter set pieces & with plenty of room to grow. It's also possible the predefined areas are just setup with special navmeshes that support being changed as the game runs and everywhere else it's like it always has been.

Either way it's a huge boon to modders. Getting nav meshes right has always been a total bitch; seems like even if only certain areas have the special navmesh they could still steal that framework to put in their mod. Before I think you had to just paint it all by hand and it was glitchy at best.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

In the footage we saw a meter for how much stuff you can build in an area, so my main concern about the settlement building is that this stuff limit won't be as generous as it should be. Want to make a town surrounding my vast palace, but I have the feeling I'll have to settle for a smaller house and/or village.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

marktheando posted:

In the footage we saw a meter for how much stuff you can build in an area, so my main concern about the settlement building is that this stuff limit won't be as generous as it should be. Want to make a town surrounding my vast palace, but I have the feeling I'll have to settle for a smaller house and/or village.
Given the big neon sign demo, I wouldn't be surprised if your settlement sizes have perk upgrades.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Sounds like that meter is an integer that can be changed super easily.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

Sounds like that meter is an integer that can be changed super easily.

Maybe for you PC master race types. Still I guess I can always make my ridiculous wizard's tower separate from my bustling shantytown.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

If you really are supposed to build multiple settlements, it's possible that the limit exists so you have to specialize each settlement & trade food / resources between them in order to unlock the biggest / best buildings.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Unless the interface is really good and fluid for building stuff there's no way I'd bother with fancy LED lighting and actually making poo poo look good.
It's all basic houses and perhaps giant dick statues from here on out.

bing_commander
Aug 14, 2009

In other news..
It looks like you can only build on existing foundations.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I'm not interested in building my dream shanty, so hopefully there's worthwhile gameplay in there that doesn't break the game economy.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Duckbag posted:

This is a Good Post and you really made me think about history differently.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

This is a Good Post and you really made me think about history differently.

LET'S PLAY: Guess his state & city.

quote:

a state named after a fictional country from a 500-year-old adventure, novel town named after a Spanish saint whose name most of us knowingly mispronounce.

I'm going:

California, San Jose

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Why is the Institute building sentient humanlike androids to do slave labor when there are other more subservient robots they could build instead?

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Fallout doesn't actually make sense.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Why is the Institute building sentient humanlike androids to do slave labor when there are other more subservient robots they could build instead?

Those robots are crappier/They are incapable of performing tasks that require more human-like hand dexterity/scientists always do dumb poo poo

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Fooz posted:

Fallout doesn't actually make sense.

You're right. Texas would never want to be in the same Commonwealth as Arkansas.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

They are actually re-purposed sexbots, but God forbid Bethesda initiates a frank and open discussion about future masturbatory aids, so when they say Android Slave Laborers you are just supposed to smile and nod.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

The same reason they're performing Vault "experiments" where they put one woman and 999 men into a vault, or remove all the entertainment tapes except for of one bad comedy actor.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

...Why not?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm on the Institute's side. Ain't no way I'm losing sleep over robot rights.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

The same reason they're performing Vault "experiments" where they put one woman and 999 men into a vault, or remove all the entertainment tapes except for of one bad comedy actor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Making them humanlike is stupid, because then people might mistakenly think they have feelings, or deserve rights or respect.

• Locked thread