Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Waterhaul posted:

To counter Nameless is Morisson and Burnham doing existential Lovecraftian style horror and has been pretty good so far.

I know what they're trying for I just don't think they are doing anything interesting with it and it's not scary or particularly compelling. Maybe it'll be better in trade format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

What if I don't think Archie vs. Predator (also by de Campi) is that good except for the spectacle?

I still need to check out Archie vs. Predator, so I'm not sure!

For me, de Campi's writing on this book so far is solidly upper mid-tier. I slot it with a couple other authors who I think have pretty original, interesting ideas and dialogue, but whose comics writing doesn't seem to flow quite as smoothly as it could. Ales Kot and Antony Johnston often feel kind of the same way to me in terms of writing that would be really good if it were a bit less choppy.

Basically, it's good enough for me to read and enjoy. If the art were unexceptional or if I weren't interested in the characters or concept, it would be an issue, but I really like McNeil's art along with the characters/concept.

VVV I haven't read the others, so this opinion doesn't *really* count, but I think it's gotta be Wytches. Snyder often doesn't do it for me, but this one's got me hooked.

onefish fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 1, 2015

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I have the choice between the first volumes of the Fade Out, Wytches, and Copperhead. Which do you feel is the most compelling newish image work?

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

Archie VS Predator has one good joke and its been stretched out way too long.

No Escape is not even remotely comparable. De Campi is really putting a lot of juice in it, which she obviously is not in AvP. And Carla Speed McNeil is drawing the gently caress out of that book.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

When I updated the MU app yesterday it said they had added 2000 new comics, but I have no way to tell what they are.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
New Humble Book Bundle is comics about them thar vidya gaems via Dark Horse.

Pay Whatever:
Fallout New Vegas - All Roads (Jean Diaz, Wellinton Alves, Geof Darrow, Chris Avellone)
Plants vs. Zombies: Lawnmageddon (Paul Tobin, Various Artists)
EVE: True Stories (Daniel Way, The Internet)
Tomb Raider: The Beginning (Rhianna Pratchett, Various Artists)
The Art of Remember Me (Aleksi Briclot, Dontnod)

Beat the Average:
The Guild Volume 1 (Felicia Day, Various Artists)
Halo: Initiation (Brian Reed, Various Artists)
The Art of Bioshock Infinite (Julian Murdoch, Irrational Games)
Valve Presents: The Sacrifice and Other Steam-Powered Stories (Michael Avon Oeming?, Valve)
More Stuff Soon

Pay the Average + $5:
Mass Effect: Foundation Volume 1 (Mac Walters, Tony Parker, Omar Francia)
Dragon Age Volume 1: The Silent Grove (David Gaider, Various Artists)

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I have the choice between the first volumes of the Fade Out, Wytches, and Copperhead. Which do you feel is the most compelling newish image work?

Copperhead is pretty great! I really dig it. Sci-fi cop western. I tried Fade Out, and it's a decent crime book but it felt like... pretty typical crime/noir stuff. Well done, genuinely good writing/art, but nothing that made it really stand out in the first 3 issues, you know? I'll catch up with it at some point because I do like it but I ain't hooked the way I am with Copperhead. Haven't read Wytches yet though I meant to.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

The Kins posted:

New Humble Book Bundle is comics about them thar vidya gaems via Dark Horse.

The Guild is fine for people who watched the show. The Sacrifice is pretty good!

Anything else in there that's good?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I read a bunch of the Mass Effect stuff years ago and it was pretty good for licenced stuff.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
How is Batman Year 100? Premise seems alright.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Hey, are the Plague of Frogs books just the 12 volumes of BPRD republished? Or are they missing stuff? Seems like a way better deal just to have to buy those 4.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

AlmightyBob posted:

Hey, are the Plague of Frogs books just the 12 volumes of BPRD republished? Or are they missing stuff? Seems like a way better deal just to have to buy those 4.

Yes all of them other than being human and the 194_ books. Being human is good and gives some more insight into some characters. The 194_ books are also really good and might be collected in another collection.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes all of them other than being human and the 194_ books. Being human is good and gives some more insight into some characters. The 194_ books are also really good and might be collected in another collection.

OK cool, that saves me some money then.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Volumes 1 and 3 of the remastered copies of Cerebus (cleaned up versions of the best scans they could find) are $15/ each, or about $0.60/issue. Volume 2 (arguably the best) is free if you send out a tweet.

https://sellfy.com/Cerebus

You can also get Judenhass for free if you need something to feel bad about this weekend.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

bobkatt013 posted:

The 194_ books are also really good and might be collected in another collection.

They are. It's called "BPRD 1946-1948"

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Comixology just announced a new deal with Delcourt resulting in English versions of 150 French series and graphic novels, starting today.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Kins posted:

Comixology just announced a new deal with Delcourt resulting in English versions of 150 French series and graphic novels, starting today.

I just want to add that after reading 2 and buying 4 of the Delcourt titles that people should really check them out as they are good and the translation work (can't comment on accuracy) is well done in terms of how not feeling stilted. Read Wendigo and Iron Squad so far and I've really liked them a lot. I also got the space one and the Vatican Black Ops team one.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Are any of the DC trades on sale worth it?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

bobkatt013 posted:

Crisis On Infinite Earths, if only to get a 12-issue event for $5, worth it if you haven't read it before.

All of 52 is great, definitely pick those up. I've bought this in trades and the omnibus, enjoyed it both ways.

I originally couldn't make sense of Final Crisis, but anyone with a handle on how superhero events and Darkseid tend to operate should do fine with this (years later, I reread FC and everything clicked, now I admire it). Includes the Superman Beyond stories plus material from the Absolute edition? Yeah, this one's worth five bucks.

Forever Evil was pretty neat, Geoff Johns keeps finding fresh angles with Lex Luthor and I can't get enough of it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Totally.
Knightfall, 52, Sinestro Corps War, Final Crisis and Superman: Doomed.

Those are some insane deals. The Knightfall trades are 500+ pages each.

e: That Dark Horse sale is a bit naff.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jul 7, 2015

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

i remember hearing frank miller got insane somewhere around sin city. around what volume should i probably stop putting them in my cart?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

FutureFriend posted:

i remember hearing frank miller got insane somewhere around sin city. around what volume should i probably stop putting them in my cart?

Keep in mind that Miller went really bonkers after 9/11 and Sin City ended in 2000. Based on long-distant memories, I'd say 1-4 are good, can't remember 5 and 6, and thought 7 was mostly worth it for a hallucination sequence in color that seemed interesting at the time.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Opinions on Manifest Destiny?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Zachack posted:

Opinions on Manifest Destiny?

I love it.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Deadpool posted:

I love it.

Yeah but you're positive on a lot of stuff. What about opinions from dour people?

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Jeez looks like I will spending over a hundred dollars on DC stuff in a couple weeks.

Is there anyway to buy Sin City through the DH app? I get lots of iTunes cards via my credit card usage

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

hadji murad posted:

Jeez looks like I will spending over a hundred dollars on DC stuff in a couple weeks.

Is there anyway to buy Sin City through the DH app? I get lots of iTunes cards via my credit card usage

If you can, I'd just hold off until I knew more about Comixology's impending subscription service. Instead of spending hundreds of dollars, maybe just pay $10-$15 a month and read as much as you want.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zachack posted:

Yeah but you're positive on a lot of stuff. What about opinions from dour people?

It's loving awesome, buy every issue.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I was hoping that the Dark Horse sale would involve all of Hellboy.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Zachack posted:

I'm fairly picky, but I dig it. Not a top-tier full-price monthly read, but totally worth the time spent reading from a sale. The art's a big part of my enjoyment, so make sure you like the (awesome) art.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
What's recommended for a someone who's a bit of a DC newbie in the sale? I can't really remember which "infinite/infinity" story is the big one people talk up.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Crisis on Infinite Earths is the biggest one, but it's nearly impenetrable for someone familiar with DC, never mind a newbie. If you want a cool story, get the 52 trades.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe
I don't see it announced anywhere on the front page, but it looks like ALL Dark Horse stuff on Comixology is 50% off.

Farewell, money, I'll never forget our time together.

InShaneee fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jul 8, 2015

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

52 for 20 dollars is a loving steal

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hup posted:

52 for 20 dollars is a loving steal

Yeah I picked it up, but I have only a passing familiarity with DC, I hope I'm not completely at sea.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I thought it was cool when they had a $1 per issue 52 sale a few months ago :sweatdrop:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

InShaneee posted:

I don't see it announced anywhere on the front page, but it looks like ALL Dark Horse stuff on Comixology is 50% off.

Farewell, money, I'll never forget our time together.

And I just brought the first Predator Omnibus two days ago...doh.

Oh well time to buy more poo poo. Also Deadpool trades are on sale. Team up one is pretty funny so far. Draculas Gauntlet is great too.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

zoux posted:

Yeah I picked it up, but I have only a passing familiarity with DC, I hope I'm not completely at sea.
Not really much you need to know beyond Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman are all inactive at that point for various reasons (Superman is depowered, Batman takes the Robins on a journey of self-discovery, and I don't recall what Diana's deal was) so various other heroes are trying to fill the gaps left by them. Also there's a pretty big gap in what the series started as and what it eventually became, but I only read it as it came out, so I'm not sure how much, if at all, that shows up while reading through it.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
FWIW I'll also add that I've always liked Death of Superman...mostly because it was the only Superman stuff I read as kid and thus existed like it's only one shot storyline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Not really much you need to know beyond Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman are all inactive at that point for various reasons (Superman is depowered, Batman takes the Robins on a journey of self-discovery, and I don't recall what Diana's deal was) so various other heroes are trying to fill the gaps left by them. Also there's a pretty big gap in what the series started as and what it eventually became, but I only read it as it came out, so I'm not sure how much, if at all, that shows up while reading through it.

Wonder Woman just retired to take a government job.