Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Brannock posted:

Is it really that much to expect the leader of the loving United States of America to be well-educated?

No, it is not. But attacking a candidate based on their education level isn't going to have the desired effect in a general election and would only open up the Democratic candidate to charges of elitism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Brannock posted:

Is it really that much to expect the leader of the loving United States of America to be well-educated?

Going to college doesn't necessarily mean one is well-educated and equipped to handle the presidency. Similarly not going to college doesn't necessarily mean one is completely uneducated. Yeah the president should probably not be a dumbass (hello, Bush!) but really.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lu Yan posted:

Of all the horrible poo poo Walker has done or will do, harping on him for not having a degree is the most insulting latte liberal thing, and I'm a latte loving liberal. If Walker makes it to the general, this line of attack will backfire on any Dem that tries it.

Legitimacy of the argument aside, it's just interesting to see a POLITICO article give a full-throated defense of a particular candidate. It's certainly quite different from their coverage of, say, Hillary.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

Lu Yan posted:

Of all the horrible poo poo Walker has done or will do, harping on him for not having a degree is the most insulting latte liberal thing, and I'm a latte loving liberal. If Walker makes it to the general, this line of attack will backfire on any Dem that tries it.

The greatest triumph of democracy will be when it elects to biggest imbecile into power.

DaveWoo posted:

Legitimacy of the argument aside, it's just interesting to see a POLITICO article give a full-throated defense of a particular candidate. It's certainly quite different from their coverage of, say, Hillary.

A lot of the press has been attacking her.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
if anyone cares if he doesnt have a degree then they are idiots

hope this helps

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

pangstrom posted:

I mean it isn't really POLITICO it's a couple professors, for one it's his major research thesis (that government is too "white collar" and basically benefits only the upper class) and the other had access to relevant data. I mean I basically agree with their point and also think Walker is awful.

If only there were some kind of Great Leap we could take Forward where we could have government run by people who don't know what they're doing and also make lattes in backyard furnaces out of raw milk.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eonwe posted:

if anyone cares if he doesnt have a degree then they are idiots

hope this helps

expanding on this - college is daycare for young adults and doesnt prove you are intelligent or capable

you can learn a lot in college or you can also learn nothing and still get your degree

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Lu Yan posted:

I wouldn't harp on him for not having a degree. It's going and not finishing that's embarrassing. Everyone that I can think of that didn't finish was downright lazy.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Leviathan Song posted:

I wouldn't harp on him for not having a degree. It's going and not finishing that's embarrassing. Everyone that I can think of that didn't finish was downright lazy.

i heard he got kicked out for trying to rig student council elections, and that he ran on a platform of explicitly supporting apartheid south africa or something

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Eonwe posted:

expanding on this - college is daycare for young adults and doesnt prove you are intelligent or capable

you can learn a lot in college or you can also learn nothing and still get your degree

And yet Walker just couldn't complete that one last semester of day care.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
this college thing is a non-issue distracting from actual issues

like literally everything the media ever writes about

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

so what

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Leviathan Song posted:

Lazy, shiftless Bill Gates.

*sips soy latte, nibbles arugula salad*

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Leviathan Song posted:

That's why he's a stupid poo poo, and he's actively preventing others from at least attempting to go to college.

Eonwe posted:

so what

We're not getting a president who went to a community college, nor gave up on college. Give it up.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Eonwe posted:

A reminder to the thread, forum poster and known Marble Enthusiast Eripsa is a goddamn professor and he is one of the stupidest mother fuckers on the planet.

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Lazy, shiftless Bill Gates.

*sips soy latte, nibbles arugula salad*

That's an avtext post combo for the ages..

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Logikv9 posted:

I think it'll be back in some form on some network/distribution outlet. He may have lost the show on NBC but a large portion of his value is his name and you need to keep promoting it somehow.

Right now he's getting free promotion by being a presidential candidate (:smith:), but even he knows the gravy train won't last forever. You'll see him on TV again, and eventually when this stuff is all forgotten because it definitely will be, he'll have a show somewhere.

Alternatively, he'll go full Huckabee and start an email list marketing TRUMP HEALTH CURES not affiliated with Donald Trump

The issue with this interpretation is that not all publicity is good publicity. The value of Trump's name is dropping as he steadily becomes more toxic and the scale shifts from people thinking he's a mega rich billionaire who's good with money to people thinking he's a loudmouthed idiot with more money than brains.

Prior to his presidential run debacle, Trump was doing pretty well as far as having a valuable brand and plastering his name on everything from boxers to major hotels. I don't think this whole thing was done out of any business savvy, just all encompassing narcissism.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010
Let's not forget that Jeb! finished magna cum laude in 2.5 years at UTA. He can absolutely use this against Walker with no come back about the Ivy League or graduate school available. It makes Walker look look like a lazy stoner by comparison.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The only college acceptable to be President going forward that's not IVY is Stanford. Sorry A&Mailures.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Trump: ‘I’ll win the Latino vote’

quote:

The man who declared some Mexican immigrants to be criminals and “rapists” three weeks ago now says he’ll win the Latino vote in 2016.

“I’ll win the Latino vote because I’ll create jobs. I’ll create jobs and the Latinos will have jobs they didn’t have, I’ll do better on that vote than anybody, I will win that vote,” the Republican candidate and real estate mogul told NBC News’ Katy Tur on Wednesday, as he defended his relationship with Mexicans in the wake of international outrage over his repeated and offensive remarks about undocumented immigrants.

“I have a great relationship with the Mexican people,” he said. “They love me, I love them.”

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
trump owns because I get to hopefully watch a debate with him which will honestly be hilarious

people like my grandfather are the ones who would vote for trump because he is a 'bidnessman' instead of some hosed up weirdo who has managed to come back from bankruptcy multiple times and then ruin his brand by claiming a whole race of people are rapists

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I feel like Walker is going to get torn to shreds in any debate with a non-moron without extensive coaching.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Pinche gringo loco, jajaja.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ell oh loving ell.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Monkey Fracas posted:

I feel like Walker is going to get torn to shreds in any debate with a non-moron without extensive coaching.

the college point is dumb but :agreed: with this

he would be competitive with Perry and Trump I guess

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Lu Yan posted:

While it would be dumb for Hillary or Bernie's campaigns to use it, I see no problem with the SuperPACs hammering on the fact that Walker couldn't hack it at Marquette. Don't paint him as a moron, paint him as a quitter--and then put his face next to Sarah Palin's.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
Guys Jeb is going to win the nomination okay.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Guys Jeb is going to win the nomination okay.

the shiniest turd

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Guys Ted Cruz is going to win the nomination okay.

Texas owns.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

ElrondHubbard posted:

The issue with this interpretation is that not all publicity is good publicity. The value of Trump's name is dropping as he steadily becomes more toxic and the scale shifts from people thinking he's a mega rich billionaire who's good with money to people thinking he's a loudmouthed idiot with more money than brains.

Prior to his presidential run debacle, Trump was doing pretty well as far as having a valuable brand and plastering his name on everything from boxers to major hotels. I don't think this whole thing was done out of any business savvy, just all encompassing narcissism.

I never said he did this out of any business savvy. I think he did his annual "I'm running for President" routine but this time he was either deluded enough or bored enough to go a little further. The clusterfuck only happened really after he opened his mouth to speak.

His name wasn't exactly highly-prized before either. When you think Trump pre-election, you just think "douchebag". He had plenty of public spats and stupid poo poo done outside of politics to make plenty of enemies. But enough people were taken in by him enough to actually purchase his stuff, watch his show, etc allowing his business deals to stay afloat. Sure, he's a little bit more toxic now than before and he's lost plenty of business deals that will definitely hurt him. But he still has that 100% name recognition, and all this stuff will most certainly be forgotten in time.

And his name is still unfortunately associated with "tons of money", which is something he himself likes saying every other sentence. You're rich and people know you. He could probably make a good buck by having a bunch of "business success" seminars, which he basically already did.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Bicyclops posted:

Gawker, I know, but this is still a good list of people who have dumped Trump, all assembled together:

http://gawker.com/a-comprehensive-list-of-everyone-trying-to-sever-ties-w-1715314213

I hope they keep it updated. :unsmith: Then again, even if everyone severed their ties with Trump, the page would probably still be shorter than the Carly Fiorina : ( page. :smith:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Trump sits up in bed, his hair also springing to life, and contemplates the question that has driven his life for the past few months:

"How can I be as ridiculous as possible today?"

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Luigi Thirty posted:

If only there were some kind of Great Leap we could take Forward where we could have government run by people who don't know what they're doing and also make lattes in backyard furnaces out of raw milk.
I don't like know-nothingism or anti-intellectualism or whatever you call "giving the equipment/land of rich people who know how to do things to poor people who don't" but we're just talking about individual politicians' college degrees, here. To me it SOUNDS LIKE Walker went to school intent on running the student government and when he poo poo the bed there he gave up on it. Not a great omen but who really needs to read the tea leaves with a guy like Scott Walker.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Even when he is trying to look like a "not racist" he comes off as a disgusting racist.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Anyone who uses the "didn't finish college" attack on Walker is a fool because you obviously don't need it to dismantle him and I can't wait to see him try to talk like a big boy that doesn't have a big Koch hand up his rear end working him like a potato-faced puppet.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Ronald Reagan graduated from college. Why didn't Scott Walker want to be like Reagan? Vote Jindal 2016.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

This is more common than you probably realize, and it's often not for a lack of trying on the student's part. Academic advising/degree pathing has been a joke at most higher ed institutions for years and many schools are starting to realize there are significant graduation rate gains to be made by focusing on seniors. That includes earlier/more frequent interactions with professional advisers, lowering the student-to-adviser ratio, giving seniors priority registration for required courses, greater availability of required courses, additional financial support for students on the edge of graduation, and limits on the number of electives a student can take in his or her undergraduate career.

And I don't know if the earlier person was being serious, but Marquette explicitly stated years ago that Walker was not kicked out or suspended for any reason. There's so much to loathe about Walker already; don't waste time on the college stuff because it won't matter.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Bicyclops posted:

Gawker, I know, but this is still a good list of people who have dumped Trump, all assembled together:

http://gawker.com/a-comprehensive-list-of-everyone-trying-to-sever-ties-w-1715314213

I was actually looking for something like this the other day

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Potential candidates who dare to dream like Walker are scrubs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Grey Fox posted:

This is more common than you probably realize, and it's often not for a lack of trying on the student's part. Academic advising/degree pathing has been a joke at most higher ed institutions for years and many schools are starting to realize there are significant graduation rate gains to be made by focusing on seniors. That includes earlier/more frequent interactions with professional advisers, lowering the student-to-adviser ratio, giving seniors priority registration for required courses, greater availability of required courses, additional financial support for students on the edge of graduation, and limits on the number of electives a student can take in his or her undergraduate career.

Yeah, there's a reason why most universities use 6 year graduation rates, and it's not just because students need tons of extra help. I probably could have graduated a semester earlier if all the classes were available on time.

It's also because in a 4 year plan lots of students would have multiple 18 hour semesters!

• Locked thread