Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

Someone posted this on the San Pedro Poltergeist in the Scary Wiki thread and I thought it was a good read.
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread672735/pg1

This was incredibly hard to read because the writing is so goddamn atrocious. Geezus, I had to reread several sentences because the author has such a terrible grasp of language.

Drum posted:

I was actually trying to remember this story the other day, wanting to re-read it. I'll have to see if I can dig anything up.

I feel like it may have been in the Skinwalkers thread, but it's been so many years and honestly I hadn't thought about it until reading this thread yesterday. The biggest shame is that the images were probably hosted on waffleimages so it will make finding the story even harder. :sigh: I'll have to go back and start looking through the threads myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Well I think I know how the Hinterkaifeck murders happened now. Thanks for that, I guess.

Now there's a wiki article I ought not to have read. Some eerie similarities but nearly a two decade seperation.

Wedemeyer posted:

Don't apologize for an excellent creepy post. Now I'm scare to see what horrors my family might inherit from the German side of my grandparents.

I think it's fair to say that we often forget that anyone who's taken part in war, any war really, has probably gotten close to a nightmare somewhere along the way even if not directly participating in one. I highly doubt my grandfather participated directly in anything that repugnant but he certainly admited to turning a blind eye to it. That's bad but I'm not sure what else could've been done in that situation. Considering that terrorizing civilians was almost standard during WW2 maybe there was nothing that could be done - that's even worse.

At some point when I visit my mom's I'll scan in a picture I took of the mask because I feel like my description is letting it down. When my when dad was looking through all the developed photos I took from my vacation that year - mostly just pictures of nature, relatives and me - when he came across that picture he just gave it a :stare: and said 'oh you found that thing did you.' The picture never went into an album (a dumb thing to put in one anyway) but I know it's sitting in a box of unorganized photos.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
:stare: If this was a horror movie it'd turn out that your grandfather was telling the nightmare version of the "so this happened to a friend of a friend and certainly not to me" story.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
My grandfather was Polish but fought in the Nazi Army. My grandmother knew he kept something from the war in a sealed chest in the attic. I personally never got to find out what was in there, and at some point in the 1990s, he took out whatever it was and burned it to nothing on a great big bonfire.

I'd have loved to have known what it was. My grandfather never ever spoke about the war, and certainly didn't entertain questions about it. My uncle was super pissed off - he was looking forward to inheriting some sweet Nazi secret things.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

hard counter posted:

At some point when I visit my mom's I'll scan in a picture I took of the mask

Oh hell yes. We must see this.

When are you going to your mom's next?

Thanks for the story; it's definitely one of the best in this thread.

Btw, I think it would have been fine to say that your grandpa was Finnish and that this happened during the Siege of Leningrad. Even if that's not it, it fits the story. :)

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

AnonSpore posted:

:stare: If this was a horror movie it'd turn out that your grandfather was telling the nightmare version of the "so this happened to a friend of a friend and certainly not to me" story.

Unfortunately you don't always get the luxury of having that kind of distancing from events. I don't think horror movies are typically told from the perspective of the monster(s) either - those are usually centered on the victim(s) investigating strange noises and seeing terrible sights for a brief but concrete instants - those things are horror. A monster centred movie is probably an exercise in disgust, shame and :smith:

I'm going to continue being vague for the sake of polite anonymity (I share the same last name as my grandfather after all and there is a book out there that you can find him in) but I had a feeling there's no way to totally obscure everything without shorting important details. At least in way that I'm capable of writing in anyway.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

hard counter posted:

A monster centred movie is probably an exercise in disgust, shame and :smith:

Have you seen the Russian movie "Come and See"? It's not too far off from that ... based on the exploits of the infamous Nazi Dirlwanger Unit in Belarus.

hard counter posted:

I had a feeling there's no way to totally obscure everything without shorting important details. At least in way that I'm capable of writing in anyway.

Sorry -- I respect your desire to protect your grandfather's anonymity in regard to this story. Didn't mean to get all dox-y on you.

I will reiterate that it's one hell of a story, though. I've always been queasily fascinated by how Nazi ideology recast sadistic cruelty as a moral good, when practiced against "enemies" and "untermenschen".

Graedyn
Feb 21, 2009

Wedge Regret

Sappo569 posted:

I think I remember something of the sort, the goon was taking pictures of the window looking into the backyard etc?

Maybe you're thinking of the one with the haunted corn crib? I believe the author was Onic, but can't be sure.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Based on the details in your post, sounds like Victor was Finnish and it was the siege of Leningrad. So the strange language is probably Finnish.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Re: stalked goon with poo poo in backyard. There was also Canned Ham Radio who had some kind of ghost in his house that pitched fits and threw poo poo. I think he took pictures, too. Dude was also being stalked, maybe?

I did look at the context for the original Tewbrainer desert story and there's not much else surrounding the story, though others also speculated that it was a cryptid. It was the 2010 summer ghost story thread in the OP for those who have archives.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Graedyn posted:

Maybe you're thinking of the one with the haunted corn crib? I believe the author was Onic, but can't be sure.

I'm definitely not thinking of Onic's haunted corn crib. This was a person who lived in the city, I believe, not out in the country, but Onic's stories are really, really good nonetheless.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Drunk Nerds posted:

My all time favorite is probably The Clock in the Woods (too long to repost)
https://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/1nyt4a/the_spire_in_the_woods/

I really enjoyed the coming-of-age narrative but wow this got pants on head retarded towards the end.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Chicken Butt posted:

I will reiterate that it's one hell of a story, though. I've always been queasily fascinated by how Nazi ideology recast sadistic cruelty as a moral good, when practiced against "enemies" and "untermenschen".

Thanks for the input. To me it's hard to imagine how someone's commanding officer can just react to something so malevolently shady happening in his ranks by just shrugging and saying 'Removing seditious elements, eh? Good work' or how normal that kind of thing actually was and, ultimately, the imagination-blunting scale that it occured in. The fact that Nazism was also mixed up in all sorts of weird occultism and bad science on top of everything else definitely makes it queasily engaging period, if depressing, for reading.

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
I'm really jonesin' for creepy UFO and alien abduction stories lately, does anyone have any good recommendations?

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Fyadophobic posted:

I'm really jonesin' for creepy UFO and alien abduction stories lately, does anyone have any good recommendations?

I enjoy listening to accounts from military guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR3Fhyi14Pw

That's part 1/7

Allegory of the Rave
Dec 4, 2009
I've been trying to find a series that I saw on YouTube years ago but I'm having no luck. It was a British woman who believed something was going on in her flat (noises etc) and decided to document what was happening on YouTube. Anyone know what I'm thinking of?

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
Louise Paxton is Missing: http://www.youtube.com/user/LouisePaxton#p/a

Man that's an oldie.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I read through most of this thread over the last couple days and started poking around that nothotbutspicy website. I'm halfway through the snoopy dog story and I'm starting to wonder if it's worth finishing. It's really weird so far and not overly spooky and the fact the main character is six keeps throwing me out of the story. Thoughts?

OneWhiteWhisker
Sep 24, 2004

Like a mix between Charles Schultz and David Lynch

Len posted:

I read through most of this thread over the last couple days and started poking around that nothotbutspicy website. I'm halfway through the snoopy dog story and I'm starting to wonder if it's worth finishing. It's really weird so far and not overly spooky and the fact the main character is six keeps throwing me out of the story. Thoughts?

I've read the whole thing and it doesn't improve or begin to make any more sense. As mentioned before, Onic's stories are pretty great if you haven't read those.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.

Len posted:

I read the whole thing and it's pretty unnerving in parts. I liked it a lot more the first time I read it, though.

I feel like the kid characters would have read as more realistic if they were more like 9-12, too. Five year olds don't act like that.

EDIT: ^^^ Yeah what he said.

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

True heroes always show up late.

OneWhiteWhisker posted:

I've read the whole thing and it doesn't improve or begin to make any more sense. As mentioned before, Onic's stories are pretty great if you haven't read those.

Okay I might be missing the joke here, but didn't you write those stories? Am I hallucinating?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Grand Gigas posted:

Okay I might be missing the joke here, but didn't you write those stories? Am I hallucinating?

:thejoke:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

samu3lk posted:

I read the whole thing and it's pretty unnerving in parts. I liked it a lot more the first time I read it, though.

I feel like the kid characters would have read as more realistic if they were more like 9-12, too. Five year olds don't act like that.

EDIT: ^^^ Yeah what he said.

12 would make so much more sense with how often this kid has sex thoughts.

OneWhiteWhisker
Sep 24, 2004

Grand Gigas posted:

Yes, I'm responsible for that story. And a few others that weren't particularly good even without the train wreck factor. I think it's great some people enjoyed them, but I tend to agree with the ones who didn't.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

When it was first being written it was great to read, since the series of installments gave a little psychological space between all the events. Reading it as a single compilation the crazy amps up real intensely, real quick. It has some great moments of horror in it, though. Write more please.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
What I read was good, but the child rape got a bit gross. I'm assuming that it's the source of the MCs fuckedupness?

OneWhiteWhisker
Sep 24, 2004

Roro posted:

What I read was good, but the child rape got a bit gross. I'm assuming that it's the source of the MCs fuckedupness?

Pretty much. He suffered a lot of abuse that had nothing to do with the paranormal, some of which served to skew his worldview into something incongruent with what most would consider healthy. None of what happens to him is okay, but he hasn't the maturity to process it as anything other than the life he has to live. There's a lot of my own life in that story, though some of the extremes go beyond reality. And some memories are tougher to nail down than others. Especially the ones that don't want to be remembered.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I can't remember when I saw this but I saw a website that had a large amount of email correspondence between a few friends that I think hadn't seen eachother in a few years. One of them died and I think the main person writing the emails was trying to get people to come with him to visit the dead ones family or possibly go to the funeral or something. He talks about weird story from when they were kids and it ends up making them all a bit crazy, and I think it was inferred that this made the dead one kill himself. That's all I can really remember, and it ends with text messages from the dead guy. I know it was hosted on another website but it was posted here either the last Winter or the last Summer ghost story thread.

OneWhiteWhisker
Sep 24, 2004

Jubilation - The Story of Helen

I had a sore tooth the day you decided to go through with it. Later I convinced myself I knew it would happen, but couldn’t admit I wanted to be right there with you when you did. The way we used to do just about everything together? How you got me to try all of those ethnic foods and I, well, I showed you how to gently caress like you meant business. I felt sad. I mean, of course I did, but not ex-fiancee or brother killed in a car crash sad. Sad we’d never make another teepee with our extra blankets and watch The Magnificent Seven. Sad you’d never wait until the grass grew to our waists before you mowed the lawn, grumbling on about delicate ecosystems. I mourned you the way Mom taught me: spending stupid amounts of money on nothing I needed. Trying not to see your face in the floor manager. The guy selling those heart-stopping buttered soft pretzels. I shredded your mail. Donated your clothes. Formatted your hard drive without saving anything first. Like you never left Ohio. Married someone I never met. I didn’t want you dead, just out of my heart.

Is that cruel? Maybe. You always said I had a cold streak, enough love in me for myself and ten pounds of pet. What I should have engraved on my headstone, you said. The way you laughed I didn’t think you meant it. Now I don’t know what to think. So much to put away, but I still feel like I have time to waste on wishing. How someone else should have to do all this. When does it end? When do I stop feeling?

I didn’t used to eat ice cream by the carton, or fries by the bucket. Anymore I can’t find the energy not to. I want to move on, but I have no idea where. The kind of choice I didn’t need to make when you could do it for me. And you would. Without me having to ask. The spark in those clear, blue eyes. So thoughtful. You didn’t want for more than to see me smile. Something I haven’t done since, you know. I forgot how.

Mom came by yesterday. You know how she worries. I could see the pain in her face, but all she said had nothing to do with anything. Did you know her friend Grace’s dog had bowel surgery? Or now they’re building a Chick ‘N Strips where the Park ‘N Eat used to be? None of this matters or affects my life. She just can’t stand all the silence. How I refuse to treat this like some kind of life lesson.

“You need to open up, Dear.”

Opening up put me in this situation. Left me alone with a job I can’t stand and a car that won’t start. A mountain of student loans. A fridge full of casseroles and mayonnaise-dressed salads. Clothes I can’t stand to wear more than once. That Distillers tee you loved? Somewhere in the landfill. I could smell you on it. Your sweat. Cologne. I wanted to claw my nose off my face, stick my head on the oven. But that’s how this all started, huh?

I put the notebook down. Took a sip of Southern Comfort. Studied the way the stairs walked up into the ceiling. This house would have to do. It took all of our savings.

Do you hear that, Babe? A door groaned upstairs and something fell. Rolled across the hardwood floor. Of course you did, you fat prick. You left me stuck.

Stuck like Chuck.

OneWhiteWhisker has a new favorite as of 13:41 on Jul 17, 2015

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

What's the deal with Jeff the Killer?

In the original story he isn't named and it's just a creepy grinning being staring at you at the foot of your bed telling you to go to sleep. Somehow this spun off into stories about a tormented teenage serial killer who kills people because he was bullied and/or the victim of an acid attack and there's like fifty thousand crappy indie horror games where he is the villain, all of them set in creepy abandoned buildings. Which to me is a lot less scary. Something unknown in the darkness telling you to sleep is a lot more creepy then something known hiding in an abandoned building stabbing people.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 06:00 on Jul 17, 2015

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

FreudianSlippers posted:

I have no idea but he seems to be real popular somehow. I see tons of lovely Jeff fan art getting uploaded regularly.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

FreudianSlippers posted:

In the original story he isn't named and it's just a creepy grinning being staring at you at the foot of your bed telling you to go to sleep. Somehow this spun off into stories about a tormented teenage serial killer who kills people because he was bullied and/or the victim of an acid attack and there's like fifty thousand crappy indie horror games where he is the villain, all of them set in creepy abandoned buildings. Which to me is a lot less scary. Something unknown in the darkness telling you to sleep is a lot more creepy then something known hiding in an abandoned building stabbing people.
Sounds like the same thing that happened to Slenderman, started off creepy but then nerds on the Internet had to make a whole "mythos" out of it and ruin everything that made the character unnerving in the first place because they are all poo poo at writing.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I was there when Slenderman was born and he wasn't even the most interesting thing in that thread. Not to mention a few pages after that the "Create Paranormal Photographs" thread became the "Make Your Own Slenderman Thing." Dude had a great idea though. Does that goon get anything at all for all this stuff being made from his creation?

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 14:53 on Jul 17, 2015

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

Does that goon get anything at all for all this stuff being made from his creation?

No.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Solice Kirsk posted:

I was there when Slenderman was born and he wasn't even the most interesting thing in that thread. Not to mention a few pages after that the "Create Paranormal Photographs" thread became the "Make Your Own Slenderman Thing." Dude had a great idea though. Does that goon get anything at all for all this stuff being made from his creation?

Guilt about those girls in Wisconsin stabbing their friend?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Solice Kirsk posted:

He wishes.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Solice Kirsk posted:

I was there when Slenderman was born and he wasn't even the most interesting thing in that thread.

If I remember that thread right I laughed pretty good at someone realizing that the deep, dark fear getting born out of the collective unconsciousness of the forums had the simple appearance of a tall, fit dude with a steady job

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

hard counter posted:

If I remember that thread right I laughed pretty good at someone realizing that the deep, dark fear getting born out of the collective unconsciousness of the forums had the simple appearance of a tall, fit dude with a steady job

It directly tapped into the primal goon fear of being in a situation that requires formal dress.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

hard counter posted:

This makes slender man so much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

It directly tapped into the primal goon fear of being in a situation that requires formal dress.

and having to be good with kids

• Locked thread