Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

nuru posted:

When you transfer does your friends list turn into a large pile of <deleted>? If you transfer back are those replaced with the original people?

I'm pretty sure it was just blank when I moved over but it has been a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

ilifinicus posted:

:stare:

We almost beat it after only a single cycle last night, how do you even go to four?

Duty Finder is a hellish, apocalyptic landscape.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

nuru posted:

When you transfer does your friends list turn into a large pile of <deleted>? If you transfer back are those replaced with the original people?

Yes. To both.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Meowbot posted:

Just hit 60 on my white mage ... noww what? Where should I be grinding tomes at?

i too hit 60 last night and heres some of the stuff i did

- unlock the 2 lv60 dungons. one starts from a guard outside house fortemps and the other in the sea of clouds from the bird chief guy
- unlock bismark ex. start from an elf guy by air ship dock in the pillars
- start grinding out law tomes. do you exdr/hldr/lldr/trials daily. help newbies with stuff for the bonus. use these tombs to buy the law gear from the vendors in idyllshire
- start grinding out centurio seals. do the clan hunts (posted on the board outside in the inn in foundation). theres the 1/2/3rd lv hunts that get you 15 seals a piece iirc, and a weekly b mark that gets you 100. use these seals to buy upgrade items from the old man in the inn to upgrade your law gear

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The expert dungeons also drop 160 gear and accessories, so you should get a few pieces just from that as well.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/245998-Please-help-me-understand-why-i-should-continue-to-play-a-repeat-of-2.0

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/246056-Expansion-is-only-temporarily-enjoyable.-Fails-to-fix-all-main-flaws.

Some people really don't like HW.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

ilifinicus posted:

We almost beat it after only a single cycle last night, how do you even go to four?

I did DF with a partial Goon party last night and had enrage twice (the two times we even got that far). When I had to start tanking the second one suddenly nothing got done. We had a SMN who kept dying and having keyboard problems (if you're reading this I love you anyway and don't blame you for any of it) and a couple of our pubbie DPS were STILL lower on the meter.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

ilifinicus posted:

Man that makes me sad. Maybe healers should be killing one of those adds under the lasers so dps can dps. When they jump you could clean up the last adds.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

Mr. Nice! posted:

The expert dungeons also drop 160 gear and accessories, so you should get a few pieces just from that as well.

I still need to unlock my hard mode roulette. I guess that is what I should be doing since the extra tome every day should be worth it? Do you need to complete each hard mode dungeon to unlock it or just find it?

Meowbot fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 8, 2015

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

I think the A1 clear speed is entirely dependent on how competently your group can handle the adds. I've had runs where melee dps have to peel off the boss to help the ranged guys manage the adds and it has a noticeable effect on the clear time. Even so, provided you don't have any dead weight (a dismal prospect in DF, admittedly) I still haven't come close to hitting the enrage.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Meowbot posted:

Expert dungeons? Jeez I only have low level duty roulette :ohdear:

There are only 2 expert dungeons. Once you finish the 3.0 story, one unlocks outside Fortemp's manor and the other from the bird villiage chief in the sea of clouds. Once you run both of those you'll have expert roulette that you can run daily. It will give 80 law tomes on top of the dungeon rewards.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Kuvo posted:

i too hit 60 last night and heres some of the stuff i did

- unlock the 2 lv60 dungons. one starts from a guard outside house fortemps and the other in the sea of clouds from the bird chief guy
- unlock bismark ex. start from an elf guy by air ship dock in the pillars
- start grinding out law tomes. do you exdr/hldr/lldr/trials daily. help newbies with stuff for the bonus. use these tombs to buy the law gear from the vendors in idyllshire
- start grinding out centurio seals. do the clan hunts (posted on the board outside in the inn in foundation). theres the 1/2/3rd lv hunts that get you 15 seals a piece iirc, and a weekly b mark that gets you 100. use these seals to buy upgrade items from the old man in the inn to upgrade your law gear

Level 1/2/3 hunts are 3/4/15 seals each.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

are we going to get a link to every last bad opinion on the OF because if you want bad opinions you can just read my posts, I mean I can do this all day

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Rei_ posted:

do any of these fights have an enrage? I've seen several people mistake Self Destruct on A1 for an Enrage. A4 has a soft enrage i think because he keeps getting DMG+ stacks as the fight progresses, but I don't think at any point he'll outright wipe the room

In addition to the Floor 1 enrage, apparently if you take too long on Floor 3, Cascade will flat out kill you.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

vOv posted:

Level 1/2/3 hunts are 3/4/15 seals each.

ya i couldnt remember the rates for the lower hunts.

also if you wana unlock alexander talk to the head goblin guy in idyllshire

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Meldonox posted:

I did DF with a partial Goon party last night and had enrage twice (the two times we even got that far). When I had to start tanking the second one suddenly nothing got done. We had a SMN who kept dying and having keyboard problems (if you're reading this I love you anyway and don't blame you for any of it) and a couple of our pubbie DPS were STILL lower on the meter.
Self-destruct is a mechanic that begins once one of the two things are dead, you've gotta bring them down almost at the same time like in Coil turn 1. You sure this isn't what you were seeing?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

ilifinicus posted:

By being absolute loving trash.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I agree on one thing with the second guy; some "savage mode" dungeons above the current hard mode difficulty would be pretty neat. However I really wouldn't want to dungeon finder them so it doesn't seem like it'd be a good fit for the current game design.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

ilifinicus posted:

Self-destruct is a mechanic that begins once one of the two things are dead, you've gotta bring them down almost at the same time like in Coil turn 1. You sure this isn't what you were seeing?

I've seen this multiple times when both were definitely alive at ~20% because our DPS is dismal.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

ilifinicus posted:

Positive. We got hit by self destruct and the lowest we ever got them was about 12%. :v:

We actually had pretty even DPS between them, we just had painfully little of it.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

After I cleared it in the morning I did it with my static, among us being myself and the guy who had the server first so we just kinda quietly did our tanking jobs and let them figure out the mechanics themselves. It was pretty fun watching people figure out all the mechanics blind. It was a nice experience honestly, I'd reccomend people actually go into those fights with their friends with no info. They're simple enough that they sort of become fun puzzles to figure out and optimize, and I think understanding the mechanics on an individual level will help when Savage comes out

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ilifinicus posted:

It's mentioned on the previous page, but if you take too long both of them just start Self Destructing yes.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Rei_ posted:

After I cleared it in the morning I did it with my static, among us being myself and the guy who had the server first so we just kinda quietly did our tanking jobs and let them figure out the mechanics themselves. It was pretty fun watching people figure out all the mechanics blind. It was a nice experience honestly, I'd reccomend people actually go into those fights with their friends with no info. They're simple enough that they sort of become fun puzzles to figure out and optimize, and I think understanding the mechanics on an individual level will help when Savage comes out

100% this. Nothing so far has needed more than a a few attempts to figure out (execution on the other hand...), and it's fun actually paying attention to the encounter to see what works / what doesn't. And I can say every person in my group understood the fight, rather than the shitfests in coil where they would just try do things mechanically (and fail) because they don't know what's actually happening.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

It makes me legitimately sad that there are people who question whether or not others are mistaking A1's enrage for something else because they straight-up haven't had an abysmal group run it.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

None of those seem like unreasonable criticisms. I'm really surprised by how sparse the endgame for heavensward is, especially given how skeletal the 50-60 experience is. The new zones mostly suck compared to the old ones. The only unambiguously better thing is the main story, and the system changes they inherited from 2.0's patch development.

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 8, 2015

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
I'm already dreading Savage Floor 2, because I can see that fight becoming absolutely hellish when tuned up.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Periodiko posted:

None of those seem like unreasonable criticisms. I'm really surprised by how sparse the endgame for heavensward is, especially given how skeletal the 50-60 experience is. The new zones mostly suck compared to the old ones. The only unambiguously better thing is the main story.

Isn't the endgame technically more fleshed-out than 2.0's? I remember quitting because the only things to do were Amdapor Keep and Wanderer's Palace, and IIRC they didn't even have roulettes back then. I guess you also had the Relic Weapon questline, but didn't that mostly involve grinding Tomestones too?

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's mentioned on the previous page, but if you take too long both of them just start Self Destructing yes.
I'm just trying to regain faith in the players of this game, man

but all is lost

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Periodiko posted:

None of those seem like unreasonable criticisms. I'm really surprised by how sparse the endgame for heavensward is, especially given how skeletal the 50-60 experience is. The new zones mostly suck compared to the old ones. The only unambiguously better thing is the main story, and the system changes they inherited from 2.0's patch development.

Alright.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Saigyouji posted:

I'm already dreading Savage Floor 2, because I can see that fight becoming absolutely hellish when tuned up.

You can see in a lot of places in these fights where mechanics are kinda 'missing' like "there should be something else happening here"

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

100% this. Nothing so far has needed more than a a few attempts to figure out (execution on the other hand...), and it's fun actually paying attention to the encounter to see what works / what doesn't. And I can say every person in my group understood the fight, rather than the shitfests in coil where they would just try do things mechanically (and fail) because they don't know what's actually happening.

Like one of Coil's big problems is I see a lot of people come into FFXIV as FF fans and not necessarily MMO fans, right? I mean that means they have little to no raiding experience. Coil was you know, KINDA tricky if you're new to the whole thing but also mixing in hardcore raiders from other MMOs quickly chopped up the community into people with really strict progression expectations and ideas for how the content should be handled and others who might actually WANT to do it but have no idea how. This is the solution, honestly? Mid-tier raiding with simplistic but still lethal mechanics that ask players to communicate and understand the fights. Doing this NOW means they can go HOG WILD later because more of the playerbase is equipped mentally to handle the ideas, and not everyone is relying on a youtube guide or a DnT writeup.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Since someone just mentioned going blind, here's a thought I've been chewing over. I've been toying with the idea of starting a new static, probably something a bit easygoing and flexible, but focused on doing blind runs since it's usually more fun than just trying to use someone else's strategy. Would anyone be interested in that?

I don't mean in a "be there when the servers first come up" way so much as a "try not to know the strats and if you do keep them to yourself" way.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
I like to think these are the people who hung around in housing areas and flirted with each other, having convinced themselves that the reason they couldn't do harder things was because they just didn't want to put for the effort to catch up. So now they're using this gear reset as a chance to try and join up with the rest of the game...

...and they have no goddamn idea what to do.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
I just cleared the Alex questline and I feel like I must have missed something here 'cause whatever happened with that poo poo about Brayflox being a spy?

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard
I suppose installing from Steam was a mistake. When I get to the launcher, it keeps saying Heavensward needs to be installed, yet I'm fairly sure Steam already did that. Any thoughts?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

X Factor posted:

I suppose installing from Steam was a mistake. When I get to the launcher, it keeps saying Heavensward needs to be installed, yet I'm fairly sure Steam already did that. Any thoughts?

You need to do updates through the actual FFXIV launcher, steam won't actually keep it up to date.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Opposing Farce posted:

I just cleared the Alex questline and I feel like I must have missed something here 'cause whatever happened with that poo poo about Brayflox being a spy?

The Brayflox you met during the Alexander storyline was an impersonator who was summarily executed by Dr. Evil

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Opposing Farce posted:

Brayflox only ever spied to acquire one thing: The secret of goblin cheesemaking.

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard

hobbesmaster posted:

You need to do updates through the actual FFXIV launcher, steam won't actually keep it up to date.

Yeah, I should've figured on that. Ten more gigs of installation to go, I suppose. Now to find a book to read in the meanwhile.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Periodiko posted:

How dare they stick to the schedule that they posted for releasing the hard mode raid. Also leveling 50-60 sure is "skeletal" what with the more than one dungeon per two levels average and expansive, huge, dense zones with a bunch of new FATEs, a more detailed hunt system with bonus XP, and a large number of sidequests to flesh out the new areas and lore. But the zones "mostly suck" because you blame the developers for your poor navigation skills, and none of the actual fun content matters because it's somehow SE's fault that you decided to grind FATEs in N.Than to 60 instead of doing literally anything else :allears:

Also hint: it's REALLY fun when the people whining about the lack of ~*ENDGAME*~ leave their lodestone achievements unlocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Periodiko posted:

You're wrong.

• Locked thread