Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

bpower posted:

When going default early round you can leave the bomb in spawn, if someone gets a pick the team will start to gravitate in that direction and bring the bomb with them, or just go and get it when ready to execute.

Wow, I just realized I've probably pissed off a lot of people by picking up a dropped bomb in spawn at the beginning of a round. I think I've been playing this game all wrong for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

prom candy posted:

This is the video that got me asking these questions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryGOu4fOhqw

The typical t-side strat that I've been running since 2005 is that all 5 (or 12 because the majority of my CS experience was in Source's heyday) of you rush towards a site, start walking when you think you're close enough that CT's could hear you, and hope that the CT's stacked more guys on the site that you're not trying to take.

One more question that I had before, if you are running a spread out strategy and playing for picks how do you decide which way the bomb should go? I feel like one of the things that happens all the time is bomb will go down, CT's will see it, and that puts them at a huge advantage as now they know where the Ts need to be.

Since that video is about inferno and soloing banana is my jam, 'll use that as an easy example.
As T, most of the time you'll benefit enormously from investing in mollies, flashbangs and prefiring your way up to the car, pushing the CT's up and into the site as you go. It's generally speaking worth more to get full control of banana and an easier approach into the site than making the CT's question whether or not you're actually there in the first place- and dying early to a CT holding one of the dozen angles on the way up is an amazingly efficient way to ruin any momentum your team might have in the opening seconds of the round. However, even though this guy says you "prefire no matter what" it's definitely not always the right answer, and eventually a coordinated team will likely find a way to punish you if you start getting predictable- it's at that point it's a good idea to switch up your approach, maybe not push all the way up to the car, perhaps just hold the angle by the logs and remove the head of the first impatient CT who peeks to see what happened to the banana aggression of previous rounds.

Also, this is a lot to ask for when you're just playing random matchmaking, but you don't have to pick a site and commit to it and hope beyond hope that it's the site with the least amount of players- unless you're going for an all out rush it's definitely better to try to glean some information on where there might people, based on nades thrown, steps made, people spotted, etc.

Finally, if your're going for picks, it's always a good idea to drop the bomb near the approach to whatever site it's likeliest that you'll hit (or just somewhere between the sites) so that a teammate can quickly snatch it up and bring it for planting while you and potentially others take the time to properly clear the site. The bomb carrier should NEVER be the first in- that is a complete recipe for destruction and a 5-man CT tower staring at it. As for what site you go for, that'll obviously depend on where you get said pick- for instance if you knock out a guy early from B inferno, you're overwhelmingly likely to just be facing a single dude (if any at all) before they have time to rotate, as you'll almost never find more than two people on that particular site unless you're walking into a trap.

e: Also please don't drop the bomb in spawn as such, on almost every map it's a super annoying detour for whoever needs to bring it to site

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 8, 2015

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

prom candy posted:

Wow, I just realized I've probably pissed off a lot of people by picking up a dropped bomb in spawn at the beginning of a round. I think I've been playing this game all wrong for a long time.

Thats not terrible, once you dont bring it somewhere that limits the teams options.

edit: Yes, not spawn per se, doing that in nuke would be obviously dumb. I mean somewhere in the middle "behind your lines" .

bpower fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 8, 2015

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
If I'm prefiring anywhere, it's because:

- Noise cues
- Info/hunches about a player's tendencies
- Timing (literally knowing the timings of getting to positions, pretty unlikely)
- Pre-empting somebody who has already peeked an angle
- When you are pretty safe from return fire (i.e. spamming spots through smoke, through doors)
- There is a player in the vicinity, and there's only a limited number of spots they can hide
- Negev

Never because I run around the map running around prefiring certain common positions. Overall, even at the long peek you give an example of, prefiring the angle is pretty tough. You have to be hitting such a small window of opportunity that it's almost worthless. No good player is going to run into your spray, they have to be just about to step into your fire for it to work. Every shot you fire, you get less accurate, and it gets easier for them to strafe out and one-tap you.

In the end, the best play most of the time is to peek spots at speed with perfect pre-aim. You've got a slight timing advantage and the potential of firing your most accurate shots. That gets more and more true the longer the distance is. The closer the better when it comes to pre-firing.

Pretty sure that covers most poo poo.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Jeza posted:

- Noise cues
- Timing (literally knowing the timings of getting to positions, pretty unlikely)
- When you are pretty safe from return fire (i.e. spamming spots through smoke, through doors)
- There is a player in the vicinity, and there's only a limited number of spots they can hide
- Negev

Never because I run around the map running around prefiring certain common positions. Overall, even at the long peek you give an example of, prefiring the angle is pretty tough. You have to be hitting such a small window of opportunity that it's almost worthless. No good player is going to run into your spray, they have to be just about to step into your fire for it to work. Every shot you fire, you get less accurate, and it gets easier for them to strafe out and one-tap you.

In the end, the best play most of the time is to peek spots at speed with perfect pre-aim. You've got a slight timing advantage and the potential of firing your most accurate shots. That gets more and more true the longer the distance is. The closer the better when it comes to pre-firing.

To expand on this a bit: the best way to peek / prefire is to mentally place the enemy player into the hiding place or angle you're checking. Like literally imagine in your mind's eye that you have wall hacks and you can clearly see him RIGHT THERE. Now peek that spot fully expecting him to be there with your crosshair being right where his head is. This change of mental modeling from 'let's see if he's here' to 'he's here and I'm going to kill him' is something that caused me to suddenly get a lot better at the game. This will sometimes lead to you getting antsy and firing at empty corners or shadows but this won't be a problem as long as it's either early in the round or if you have solid control of the map.

Which I guess brings another point: if your team has the advantage in map-control you can be way more aggressive in terms of noise. Just because the enemy knows where you are doesn't mean they're going to rush in and kill you because they still have four other unknowns in their head and probably will not want to take the risk. You only want to go into sneaky-beaky mode when you're either at a disadvantage and need to make the most of what little of the map you control or if you're lurking for easy kills.

Necc0 fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 8, 2015

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007

Jeza posted:

- Noise cues
- Negev

this is pretty much exactly what I was going to say, but better. Other than these scenarios, "see head, click head" is the way to go. Spraying is more difficult in GO than it has been in past versions of CS, so generally your odds of killing someone are much better if you practice proper crosshair placement and wait until you can see the enemy to start firing.

Specific to long A doors, if CTs decide to smoke the corner then you can sometimes get kills by spamming where the corner is but you generally don't want to just hang out there for too long.

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why
Dreamhack Austin. I was close.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

no_funeral posted:

Hmm, I may have to go to this.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Jeza posted:

:words:

this is one of the funniest ways to score kills. yeah, mister corner peeker, i shot at you the first time you poked your head out. did you expect something different the next four times you did it? bonus points if they do it in a rhythm that's predictable enough you could test a metronome with it

(p.s. i played the role of mister corner peeker 17 times yesterday :v:)

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

no_funeral posted:

Basically buying my tickets now.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Necc0 posted:

To expand on this a bit: the best way to peek / prefire is to mentally place the enemy player into the hiding place or angle you're checking. Like literally imagine in your mind's eye that you have wall hacks and you can clearly see him RIGHT THERE. Now peek that spot fully expecting him to be there with your crosshair being right where his head is. This change of mental modeling from 'let's see if he's here' to 'he's here and I'm going to kill him' is something that caused me to suddenly get a lot better at the game. This will sometimes lead to you getting antsy and firing at empty corners or shadows but this won't be a problem as long as it's either early in the round or if you have solid control of the map.

This is a super important thing. I see a lot of people who will check corners that could easily have a bad guy there, but they aren't actually positioning the crosshair to kill the guy if he is. They just sort of glance partway towards the corner, and then if they see a bad guy go ohshit and then flick to him to try and shoot him and typically get killed because the other guy is already shooting while they are going ohshit and snapping their crosshair.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
How to prefire: Buy negev, sit on a corner, start shooting at nothing in particular, wait literally 3 full seconds to take a breath while still firing, check the map and time while firing continuously, round the corner, win the game

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvNRUVFRHJI

freakazoid laying some truth bombs on the retards that bet on cs and get salty when they lose

Powerful Wizard IRL
Aug 8, 2007

-_- CS Depression? -_-
Ask your admin if BanMe® is right for you!
^o^
My man.

Agreed gently caress your skins and betting

I wonder what the games growth would be like without skins, betting, and tourneys plugging the betting sites and doing giveaways 247

Powerful Wizard IRL fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 8, 2015

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Post c9 POV stream freak is fast becoming one of my favorite NA players

Powerful Wizard IRL
Aug 8, 2007

-_- CS Depression? -_-
^o^

RIP LG

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
An American team made it to the finals of a major international tournament, up against a team with the best player in the world, and shitheads are still salty.

But that tri-death to molly on bomb was still hilarious

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Powerful Wizard IRL posted:

My man.

Agreed gently caress your skins and betting

I wonder what the games growth would be like without skins, betting, and tourneys plugging the betting sites and doing giveaways 247

wasn't the game dead before the Arms Deal update and even then it was still kinda sluggish in growth after that?

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why
http://gyazo.com/466cb7543bc5a42edd0625d536e72a5b

loving lol

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
A lot of sports are only mainly popular because of gambling, doesn't mean it's okay to harass the teams and athletes because you made a bad bet.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Don't have one more updated than this but:

e:

ESWC continuing joke continued

mcvey fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 8, 2015

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
When was ranked matchmaking added?

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

prom candy posted:

When was ranked matchmaking added?

Releaseish

e: earliest screenshot I have showing actual ranks is from late October 2012.

mcvey fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 8, 2015

BurnBlackJay
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax

prom candy posted:

A lot of sports are only mainly popular because of gambling, doesn't mean it's okay to harass the teams and athletes because you made a bad bet.

Sports ,,, Athletes ,,, hehe heh ehe heehehe

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Be

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

EDIT: Somehow I managed to post nonsense when my phone was in my pocket. I don't know how that happened.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

lol if you weren't playing pre-release like a man-child before ranked matchmaking was even a thing

also the alltime peak of cs:go is 677k now

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Steamspy shows CSGO with ~ 6.6 million unique players in the last two weeks.

Same site shows DOTA2 with ~8.7 million. Also dota2 has a better in game client for spectating. I used to just use the auto-spectate command to have it auto watch games which is why I have 2.5k hours in dota2, probably about 50 of that was actual play time.

Powerful Wizard IRL
Aug 8, 2007

-_- CS Depression? -_-
^o^

mcvey posted:

Don't have one more updated than this but:

e:

ESWC continuing joke continued

thanks mcreddit!!!!

hiko sucks

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Dota does all those spectator tie-ins with drops and stuff too. There's a lot of incentive to keep the Dota client open and watching games. Also watching in-client is often better than watching on Twitch.

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007
I didn't even think it was debatable that microtransactions saved CS. Only question is how big a role betting plays in supporting the economy/popularity of the game. For everyone complaining about how betting ruins pro CS, do you really think we'd have the depth of events with such large prize pools without betting to drive stream viewership? I don't really buy that 15,000 people care about Team Acer vs. HellRaisers independent of the fact that they bet on the match.

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why

Powerful Wizard IRL posted:

thanks mcreddit!!!!

hiko sucks

hiko also bullied swag out of coL according to dazed, if you trust the thrower-man

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Bohemian Nights posted:

Post c9 POV stream freak is fast becoming one of my favorite NA players

I always found freak super likeable and down to earth (but then again I am also a CS playing meathead) and the POVs made it clear that he's goodvibing his team very well even if he doesn't come up with the play

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

dex_sda posted:

I always found freak super likeable and down to earth (but then again I am also a CS playing meathead) and the POVs made it clear that he's goodvibing his team very well even if he doesn't come up with the play

Freak is way more attractive than me so i naturally hated him at first, but yeah, his ingame vibes are off the charts.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I would rather have someone like Freak who sometimes underperforms but always brings good vibes than someone who's an incredible raw talent but also a petulant child throwing their toys out of the pram in the middle of a competitive match when poo poo goes wrong like s1mple

Buys during ecos, ecos during buys, tries to throw the bomb into an unreachable spot as T, hell of a teammate
http://www.twitch.tv/counterpit/v/7045736

Powerful Wizard IRL
Aug 8, 2007

-_- CS Depression? -_-
^o^

dex_sda posted:

Same, mostly

illezt
Mar 1, 2005

dex_sda posted:

The interesting thing is I honestly think a big part of that is because he's an actual rugby player at his college. He seems to have developed a way better affinity for things like the importance of team chemistry/morale than someone who just games all day. Even if you listen to his interviews (like the one from ESEA/ESL where he praises Sean), he seems to have a very different mentality/mental makeup than most CS players. Same with his mentality of "I don't care what anybody says, I'm gonna listen to my captain and as long as he's happy with what I do, that's the important thing"

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Really, a guy who plays a tough team sport and works out in quantities large enough to look almost like a bodybuilder will have the right mindset and the right work ethic for any team-based, skill-based endeavour.

(Rugby is the best sport btw)

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why
same with olof, he played 12 years of soccer before becoming a cs pro. anybody with actual experience playing team sports will have a leg up on somebody who got a note to get out of gym class because they didn't want to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
CS pro scene is interesting in terms of the number of players that just seem like normal, likable people. The Dota scene is full of weirdos.

• Locked thread