Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Spotted the first poster in the street today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Periodiko posted:

None of those seem like unreasonable criticisms. I'm really surprised by how sparse the endgame for heavensward is, especially given how skeletal the 50-60 experience is. The new zones mostly suck compared to the old ones. The only unambiguously better thing is the main story, and the system changes they inherited from 2.0's patch development.

Between trying to get both my main combat classes to 60 and working on crafting/gathering/hunting on the side along with occasional chain-runs of Ravana Extreme and as of yesterday Alexander, I have found myself rather pressed for time and feeling overwhelmed at all I want to do. I'm still sometimes logging off way later than I planned to without having completed all that I wanted to complete in a given day. As for the content itself, this is miles ahead of running Praetorium/CM for more Darklight/AF2 in terms of enjoyment.

So... not having any issues with the content being too "sparse" as of yet. And I play the game for at least three hours per day, usually longer, though most of my playtime is in the window they've been doing maintenance in lately so it's been less than I'd like.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 8, 2015

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Periodiko posted:

None of those seem like unreasonable criticisms. I'm really surprised by how sparse the endgame for heavensward is, especially given how skeletal the 50-60 experience is. The new zones mostly suck compared to the old ones. The only unambiguously better thing is the main story, and the system changes they inherited from 2.0's patch development.

"skeletal 50-60 experience" even though it takes you like 20-30 hours played to go from 50-60 your first time. "sparse endgame" even though they time gated the raid content to a month after release so people wouldn't feel pressured to poopsock to 60 and turbo grind on day 1. Thinking the new zones suck? Is this another OF post?

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

I transferred to excal to play with goons and it has been more than worth the $18. I had a decent FC on gilgamesh but it was rife with drama. I couldn't get into a solid static because my FC didn't have a spot for me or time didn't work out and different pub statics were either full of lovely people or had demands I couldn't meet.

I moved servers and was almost instantly able to jump into a static that matched my availability, sense of humor, etc and we've been clearing everything pretty well mostly just dicking around.

There are three goon FCs that are all some of the most active in the world let alone on the server. There are dozens to hundreds of goons online at any time. With a few notable exceptions, almost everyone is chill and helpful. I can't really recount a bad goon experience other than people just needing to :gitgud:

It is absolutely worth the pain to get on this server. I convinced personal friends to come over from other servers and their reaction has all been positive as well.

Goons have been great and I've been able to do some minor stuff with them in HW and there are lots of goons active during EU primetime (dungeons, trials, Alexander Floor 1 - Floor 3). Depending on your job however, you might have issues finding an EU static to do stuff with. (I'm a healer and I'm basically contacting one more static away from starting to look at other servers/non-goon statics to raid with).

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Eej posted:

month after release so people wouldn't feel pressured to poopsock to 60 and turbo grind on day 1.

Well it kind worked but people poopsocked to 60 and turbo grinded on day -3. No one is every going to create a game people want to level slowly in.

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

Boten Anna posted:

grind FATEs in N.Than to 60 instead of doing literally anything else :allears:

Are people really doing this? :stare:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

flipoff posted:

Are people really doing this? :stare:

Yes they are.

Only got to run 100 fates for 2 million exp. Haha that sounds loving awful.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

There was at least a recent dev post saying they're aware that post-50 FATEs suck and it's an issue they're going to address in an upcoming patch.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Tetragrammaton is perhaps the best named ability in the game

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Verranicus fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 8, 2015

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Listen, the only people bitching about low endgame content are the same people who have done nothing BUT play Heavensward since it dropped, maxed their characters out in the first three days and have no further way of lengthening their game dick.

I generally get about maybe two or three hours to play this game a day, if I eshew any other games I want to play, and there's usually like two or three days where I don't have an opportunity to play. I've only gotten one job to 60 and I haven't even unlocked all of the expert dungeons yet, let alone tackled Alexander. I took my time to go and level up my ninja and clear out all the thousands of sidequests instead and so it's been three or four weeks and I'm hardly starved for content.

You only have yourself to blame if there isn't enough game for you. Frankly, I'm astounded at the output of content for this game. Considering in two, three months we'll probably have three new dungeons and a new extreme primal (Odin hopefully) I'm hardly concerned about running out of stuff to do between then and now. gently caress, I've not even done the quest that unlocks the high-level clan hunts yet or gotten all the aether currents in all the areas.

EDIT: I mean, I haven't even gotten any of the new jobs to 60 and I want to play all three of them at some point too, that would easily eat up a month. And I never finished the Beastman quests either! Or the original Coil or...

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i play this game a decent amount and i am not even close to approaching anything resembling running out of content.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

People will look back on this day and remember how the good community lynched the one person that has been trying to save the game before they even thought about playing it, haha.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i play this game a decent amount and i am not even close to approaching anything resembling running out of content.

I've been in a hotel with Literally Nothing To Do except play FF14 while I'm stuck in a bureaucratic limbo since early release, play way more than anyone should, and my To Do List is still a mile long.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Alex 4 in particular feels like they may have designed savage then just removed things to create the normal mode.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Boten Anna posted:

Also hint: it's REALLY fun when the people whining about the lack of ~*ENDGAME*~ leave their lodestone achievements unlocked.

{Same}

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

I can understand complaints that law farming is a bit boring (two dungeon exdr queues stink!) but aside from that, there's a shitload of things to do, new and old.

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

Minrad posted:

Tetragrammaton is perhaps the best named ability in the game

It's even more apt if you know the meaning of the word.

You see, Tetragrammaton means the name of the God, but the direct translation is "four-letter word".

Which the white mage will usually be shouting one or two four letter words when using Tetragrammaton, just not the name of the Lord.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Tenzarin posted:

Well it kind worked but people poopsocked to 60 and turbo grinded on day -3. No one is every going to create a game people want to level slowly in.

In the first two weeks lots of people have already hit 60 on their main, checked out the new mechanics and leveled a new class to 60 because of personal preference or changed raid composition and mostly geared that class out too. For raiders this lockout time has been pretty good in terms of sorting things out before the actual serious business raid hits. See: people figuring out MCH DPS, all the DRG bandwagonners, everyone still on the fence about DRK and AST viability.

e:

Boten Anna posted:

Also hint: it's REALLY fun when the people whining about the lack of ~*ENDGAME*~ leave their lodestone achievements unlocked.

Easy way around this is to check if they have Wind-up Louisoux

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Minrad posted:

I can understand complaints that law farming is a bit boring (two dungeon exdr queues stink!) but aside from that, there's a shitload of things to do, new and old.

Lol if you do more than just roulettes each day.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Verranicus posted:

Lol if you do more than just roulettes each day.

That's all I've done and I only just hit Alexander ilvl, but that's with supplementing it with the three levels of mark bills for the curio seals some days, and a very small number of hunts.

Though granted I'm using my HLDR to level other classes, so... :v:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

FFXI fans are fundamentally broken inside

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

On the law note I'm now getting overloaded with law tomes for running Alexander 1-4 three times yesterday each time getting newbie bonuses. Thinking about prepping a set of 170 gear for my retainer for when she reaches 60.

But even just running, say, Expert/Trial Roulette for law and then doing HLDR/LLDR/Main Scenario for alt classes will get you a lot of tomes.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 8, 2015

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Blockhouse posted:

Speaking from personal experience basically any long-term FFXI player eventually has to deal with the cognitive dissonance of realizing they put way too much of their precious, limited time on this Earth into a game that can charitably described as a dumpster fire.

If you can't handle that notion you can end up replacing your memories of FFXI with an entirely imaginary game which only exists in your own mind, where everything was actually pretty cool and all the effort had commensurate rewards and the game design was exceptional and worthy of your attention. It has to be, don't you see? Because otherwise what the gently caress were they doing all that time?

If you can move past that and accept the idea that you spent all that time playing a horrible bad no-good game you can appreciate the few good things that were in there, and realize that none of them justify giving any consideration to all the horrible things which eventually overshadowed the rest. Otherwise I guess you go to the official forums and talk about your imaginary MMO? At least they're quarantined.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Blockhouse posted:

I feel bad for truly oldschool MMO fans because they pretty much can't derive joy from games unless they're as obtuse, tedious, and player hating as humanly possible.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Captain Oblivious posted:

I feel bad for truly oldschool MMO fans because they pretty much can't derive joy from games unless they're as obtuse, tedious, and player hating as humanly possible.

I don't miss EQ. On my warrior I didn't even bother farming SOW boots, someone gave them to me out of pity.

SOW boots let you cast a movement speed buff one of the classes could do.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I enjoyed FFXI, but not because of the game, but because of my friends and I struggling together to overcome the hurdles that made up practically the entirety of the game.

Now we play FFXIV and we have fun actually playing the game instead of overcoming it.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

I like FFXI. FFXI was neat, and had some good parts and some bad parts.

I like this game too. This game is great, and also has some good parts and some bad parts.

:)

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
i like thing

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
thing is bad

loving noob

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Doublestep posted:

i like thing

you're wrong, it sucks

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Doublestep posted:

i like thing

Happy Blue Cow posted:

I like FFXI. FFXI was neat, and had some good parts and some bad parts.

I like this game too. This game is great, and also has some good parts and some bad parts.

:)

Fighting words if ever I heard them.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Rei_ posted:

maybe I'm getting the attacks mixed up but it's the one that comes out right after discord and hits the tank several times. You can provoke in the middle of it.

yeah that's discord, it's a multihit tank buster that gains more hits

Perpetual ray is the "Shoot a random guy for 6k over ad over"

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I don't feel ready for Alexander yet and I wish it was another 2-4 weeks away. And I play this game an embarrassing amount as is.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I liked some old MMOs. I like FF14 too :shobon:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ilifinicus posted:

:stare:

We almost beat it after only a single cycle last night, how do you even go to four?

I've been in PF Bismarck EX groups that could only take the Carapace to about 20-25% in the first round despite everyone being i170 or higher.

Ravex PF groups are awful and some can't even meet the DPS check for Warlord's Shell. :negative:

Periodiko posted:

Azys Lla alone is hands down better than any 2.0 zone by a goddamn mile and this is not up for debate.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

I don't miss EQ. On my warrior I didn't even bother farming SOW boots, someone gave them to me out of pity.

SOW boots let you cast a movement speed buff one of the classes could do.

No, you bastard, I had struck all these memories from my mind, and now thanks to your carelessness they return, unbidden!

SOW PLZ

If nobody knows what we're talking about, imagine if sprint was a 10 minute buff, which you cast on other people, but only MCH was able to cast it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
FFXI owned

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I enjoyed oldschool MMOs a lot and have some nostalgia for them, but I've moved on and appreciate the many sensible mechanics and quality of life improvements that newer MMOs offer. Does this make me a well balanced human being or a poorly balanced MMO fan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

FATEs in HW zones might be slightly less of a waste of time soon.

I hope so. Dinging 50 in N. Than with one that awarded close to 30k and then going to Western Highlands and getting 14k for one is utterly dumbfounding.

• Locked thread