Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
You need to learn skill from previous level to proceed to next. So you need 15 points to get one skill from last level (1 -> 3 -> 6 -> 10 -> 15).

Lower caliber guns (anything 6 inch or lower) lack penetration to penetrate battleships (near-impossible to penetrate belt) so just shoot HE. You can try using AP against cruisers of similar or lower tier, but you'll notice that citadel hit does low damage so unless you can get multiple citadel hits per salvo it's better to just shoot HE.

eg. Cleveland shooting HE can do 4~6k damage per salvo, whereas with AP you'll need to get 1 citadel hit per salvo at least to get 4k damage. Without citadel hit this goes down to about 1k damage. Except HE can crit hit modules (AA/secondary/turret) lot more easily for extra damage.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
What's your take on USN vs ISN carriers ?
I missed the hype train but I need a new line to grind when playing with friends.

Krogort fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 8, 2015

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

Krogort posted:

What's your take on USN vs ISN carriers ?
I missed the hype train but I need a new line to grind when playing with friends.

Getting to the IJN carriers means a lot of Kawachi and Myogi games. Bank free XP and skip as much of them as you can. Or just hit yourself in the genitals with a claw hammer a few times to simulate the experience of playing them.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Why the hell does the Kawachi have a range smaller than most cruisers? :psyduck:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Night10194 posted:

The St. Louis's thing is that it is a floating, mystical portal to the Gun Dimension, a dimension made entirely of guns. It carries 14 guns that all reload and fire quickly and with the upgrades have something like a 7 or 6.3sec reloading time, with the ability to put something like 8 or 9 on a target at the same time. Also it has a ton of secondaries.

Is this before or after the hull upgrade? I'm having a hard time getting more than 3 on target. Should I be facing straight on? Would that get both pairs of side-mounted, front-facing guns lined up?

So, captain skills, is the first secondary skill not worth it or something? It looked pretty good, but I went with the fast switching because I expected to be using AP on everything except DDs.

Secondary guns, do I just target someone and they automatically start shooting if they get an angle?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is this before or after the hull upgrade? I'm having a hard time getting more than 3 on target. Should I be facing straight on? Would that get both pairs of side-mounted, front-facing guns lined up?

So, captain skills, is the first secondary skill not worth it or something? It looked pretty good, but I went with the fast switching because I expected to be using AP on everything except DDs.

Secondary guns, do I just target someone and they automatically start shooting if they get an angle?

The hull upgrade gives you more guns. Show your side to a target and you'll have all your guns available. The Expert Loader skill is pretty pointless, ESPECIALLY on the St. Louis. Take Basic Firing Training instead. It affects all guns under 152mm, which includes both the St. Louis' primary and secondary armament. Secondary armament has a short range, and will automatically start firing on people who enter it. You can check this under the Artillery tab in the port. I believe its something like 2.5km.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

WayAbvPar posted:

Getting to the IJN carriers means a lot of Kawachi and Myogi games. Bank free XP and skip as much of them as you can. Or just hit yourself in the genitals with a claw hammer a few times to simulate the experience of playing them.

I'm 14k exp away from the Japanese carrier and 9k away from the American one, free XP of course.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

I am a masochistic retard and I am playing through all of them. Although after the shitshow that was my play session last night, I might just burn some gold and finish off the Myogi.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Carriers.gifv: http://gfycat.com/GoodnaturedFrailIndusriverdolphin

:suicide:

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Badnoncarriers.gifv more like.

Textbook example of why you turn into torpedo bombers. If you had been turning towards the planes, you would have been hit by at most three torpedoes which would have made a deeply satisfying clunking noise as they uselessly hit your hull before arming.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

grrarg posted:

Badnoncarriers.gifv more like.

Textbook example of why you turn into torpedo bombers. If you had been turning towards the planes, you would have been hit by at most three torpedoes which would have made a deeply satisfying clunking noise as they uselessly hit your hull before arming.

Except a good carrier driver will see you turn, abort the drop, and drop once you've used up energy and can't evade as well again.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Or cause the planes to bug out, spasm around, and then drop without a clear indication of their direction of travel before release.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Or cause the planes to bug out, spasm around, and then drop without a clear indication of their direction of travel before release.

If its a manual drop they drop regardless of what the target does. And you should be manual dropping.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Except a good carrier driver will see you turn, abort the drop, and drop once you've used up energy and can't evade as well again.

I've seen one of these carrier drivers in 100 battles, and he still managed to hit me with unarmed torpedoes

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice
Anyone have the Ishizuchi? The stats kinda look like it's a proto Kongo would you recommend it?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

When do Japanese BBs get non-terrible, I feel like I'm succeeding mostly because of my opponents' failures, not my boat or my skill.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ranbo das posted:

It does a certain amount of damage to each player based on what ship class is ramming/being rammed. A full health BB shouldn't die to a cruiser ramming it, and it wont even really notice a DD ramming it. On the other hand, if you're at like 25% health and a cruiser rams you you're toast.

Also the cruiser should be dead long before he gets into ramming range. Worst case scenario just run away from him, buy some time for your secondaries and rear turrets to do work on him.

This seems wrong because I've been ramming battleships in my Tenryu all day and all of them have died. Maybe it's different in higher tiers but every T3 or T4 battleship I've rammed has taken 90%+ damage and the only one that didn't die outright died 3 seconds later because I'd been taking potshots at it with my front gun and set it on fire.

It's also worked every time except for the time the BB managed to get a steering hit on me after I'd used Damage Control and I ended up sailing into a cliff and exploding.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Night10194 posted:

When do Japanese BBs get non-terrible, I feel like I'm succeeding mostly because of my opponents' failures, not my boat or my skill.

Kongo is very good, then every tier are good except maybe the Izumo.
Myogi with upgraded hull seems decent enough.

Dazh
Jul 9, 2008

Krogort posted:

Kongo is very good, then every tier are good except maybe the Izumo.
Myogi with upgraded hull seems decent enough.

I actually kind of enjoy playing my Myogi when my Wyoming is still in battle. I've hit a point where BBs have just kind of clicked and I'm having great games where I get 4-5 kills and it's really satisfying. Nothing like firing a volley into a cruiser and watching it explode after nailing it in the citadel 2-3 times.

Dazh fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 8, 2015

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

If the Myogi had either more guns, or the few guns it has were more accurate it would be fine. Not recording any hits in 3 broadsides from 6km or under is loving infuriating (happened to me TWICE last night. Two sets of 3 full misses in 2 different games). I am a pretty fair shot too, so it wasn't all PBKAC.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Hmm, the new tutorial video on DDs seems to indicate that torpedo detection range IS based on the size of the torpedo. If that's true, then the detection range of torpedoes for IJN DDs caps at the Mutsuki's 610 mm tubes, as all the following DDs have the same size. The US DDs, barring the T2 Clemson, all have the same size torpedoes as well, at 533 mm tubes.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'm running into an issue with my stock Langley wherein fighters of the same tier, and even from other Langleys, are killing my fighters within seconds. I take off one pip of health from them, they splash my entire full health squadron. I've even had this happen when I attacked a squadron that was already flying within the AA coverage of three different blue ships. They simply killed my squadron and flew off. My question is, what the gently caress? Is that really just some upgrades and Air Group Mod 1, or am I missing something fundamental?

Also, on a semi-related note, receiving four hundred and twenty experience for a win where I killed a spotter, a fighter, and eleven torpedo bombers is the weirdest balance decision I've seen in a multiplayer game for a long long time. It's not boasting to say that I was instrumental in my team winning that game. But there is no incentive to do it again.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
They might have the upgraded fighters on their Langley.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Never turn away from torpedo bombers

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
And now they're drawing attention to the Ishizuchi in the premium shop, which probably means that's gonna disappear soon, leaving only two premiums available for gold in the entire game.

bobthethurd
Dec 27, 2007
Lovable Bob.

Ratzap posted:

My Warspite does pretty well at avoiding torp planes and creams them with it's AA. The Wyoming I just got into though, is slow, can't turn worth a drat and has no AA guns whatsoever until I make 3800xp for the hull upgrade. Not fun when there are always carriers on the other side at tier 4 and manual drops make it impossible for them to miss me. Take your time lining up a good run, there's bugger all I can do to your planes...

Turn earlier. By simply maneuvering you're giving the carrier a huge headache. You have to force the carrier to have more chances to gently caress up their micro. If you are in a full turn I have to estimate where you'll be in the turn and I still will probably only hit with one torp or even miss completely. I've missed wyomings entirely as well on what were otherwise good runs. In battleships you have to be reacting the moment you notice the fuckers are coming your direction, not the moment they turn in on your broadside for a run. Especially in the slow battleships.

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

There is an easily replicable (and utterly inexcusable at this point) bug in the game that lets you confuse the AI and force the planes into a torpedo drop way, way closer than should be possible. They are then literally unavoidable for the target ship, who doesn't even have time to react to a rudder change. Imagine if in World of Tanks you could ping the map three to five times before firing, and guarantee that not only would that shot hit perfectly on bullseye, but also penetrate.

That's why CVs are loving broken at the moment. Because people who know what they are doing are entirely capable of killing every worthwhile target with absolute efficiency unless the opposing CV can stop them. Against those carriers the skill and awareness of the target player is irrelevant to the outcome.

What the hell are you talking about? Screenshots of yourself as a carrier performing this attack would be useful, because, as explained, there's a minimum distance the torpedoes must be dropped from in order to do damage at all.

Lord Koth posted:

Yeah, the disparity between different tiers of carriers is horrible and I don't understand why...

Interestingly, on the subject of torpedo bombers, for all the complaints about IJN ones I suspect that if you actually went through replays you'd find that US ones are far more likely to oneshot you...

The IJN get the ability to pincer attack with torpedoes in tier 4 and they never lose it because their fighters are worthless to the point of uselessness. Attack from ahead and to the right and ahead and to the left of your target. Laugh as the target takes six torpedoes every time. Or attack with both squads in a mass and devastate them on one side. It takes more coordination but it's really nasty. The americans can one-shot destroyers and cruisers, but they can't one shot battleships pretty much ever. By the time we get more than one, if any, torpedo squadrons that we're at tier 8. Because wargaming hates American carriers contributing directly to the battle.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

bobthethurd posted:

Turn earlier. By simply maneuvering you're giving the carrier a huge headache. You have to force the carrier to have more chances to gently caress up their micro. If you are in a full turn I have to estimate where you'll be in the turn and I still will probably only hit with one torp or even miss completely. I've missed wyomings entirely as well on what were otherwise good runs. In battleships you have to be reacting the moment you notice the fuckers are coming your direction, not the moment they turn in on your broadside for a run. Especially in the slow battleships.

I get that yeah but in the stock hull it's very hard to do. Now I have the B hull I can see that I'm forcing them to line up again and getting most to miss.

On a different note, how do we get extra slots in open beta? If they are expecting us to pay money for gold then would it be fair to assume there will be no more resets before live?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

They said they have no intention of resetting, but if they end up having to, they will give everyone back the gold they spent.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

22 Eargesplitten posted:

They said they have no intention of resetting, but if they end up having to, they will give everyone back the gold they spent.

Fair enough, I'll fork out for new slots then.

bobthethurd
Dec 27, 2007
Lovable Bob.

Ratzap posted:

I get that yeah but in the stock hull it's very hard to do. Now I have the B hull I can see that I'm forcing them to line up again and getting most to miss.

On a different note, how do we get extra slots in open beta? If they are expecting us to pay money for gold then would it be fair to assume there will be no more resets before live?

It's trite advice, but it really is your only option and it really does work. The wyoming also has AA to cost them when they don't just fire off their salvo and leave, so if you make them waffle you'll generally end up dropping the squad to 4 before they drop. Or even lower.

Han Feizi
Jul 20, 2014
How does everyone like the Tenryu? I'm having a hard time adjusting to the 4 gun broadside coming from the St. Louis, but the torps have paid off in many a knife fight. I'm close to the Kuma but I don't know if I will like the torpedo focus.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Han Feizi posted:

How does everyone like the Tenryu? I'm having a hard time adjusting to the 4 gun broadside coming from the St. Louis, but the torps have paid off in many a knife fight. I'm close to the Kuma but I don't know if I will like the torpedo focus.

It's basically a cross between a cruiser and a destroyer that bullies other destroyers and torpedoes bigger boats. There's nothing to dislike except the part where it is extremely fragile.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Looks no different than Destroyers.gifv. Except you can actually see the planes coming and they're not just sitting 5km away from you completely invisible as they fire 20 torpedoes at you. Destroyers really making me dislike the game at the moment.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I wish more people played Japanese Cruisers. I had at least one game with FIVE Clevelands on the other team. My poor Aoba's citadel...

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Playing as sky cancer is surprisingly relaxing. But maybe that's just because grinding through the Kawachi and Myogi to get it was horrible. I'm not looking forward to grinding through to Kongo, at all.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

Devlan Mud posted:

Playing as sky cancer is surprisingly relaxing. But maybe that's just because grinding through the Kawachi and Myogi to get it was horrible. I'm not looking forward to grinding through to Kongo, at all.

It is so much easier to concentrate on how stupidly your team has arranged itself on the map, however (just like arty in WoT). Nothing drives me crazier than watching my team slowly get outpointed when 2/3 of them are within 2km of a goddamned cap point, yet they avoid it like it is filled with lava. All you need to do is dip your toe in to stop the points, but everyone is terrified of getting their paint scratched. loving infuriating.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
So, did they just straight up remove the alt-drop for carriers? I seem to remember they turned it into a captain skill, but I can't find it.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I wish pubbies would get a clue about their surroundings and not waddle right into the path of my torpedos :gonk:.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Azuth0667 posted:

I wish pubbies would get a clue about their surroundings and not waddle right into the path of my torpedos :gonk:.
Natural selection at its finest. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

ArchangeI posted:

So, did they just straight up remove the alt-drop for carriers? I seem to remember they turned it into a captain skill, but I can't find it.

Manual drop is still a thing.