Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Baronjutter posted:

Lucky nations are off.

Yeah, this kind of crazy poo poo happens constantly when you turn that off. Some people prefer it that way, I maintain that it's there for a reason.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Can defenders always call in additional allies or is this a bug?

Pretty sure defenders can always call their allies. Something similar happened to me as Brandenburg; Austria declined the initial CtA when Bohemia came along and started pushing my poo poo in, but a few years later Austria finally agreed to re-ally me and rolled Bohemia free of charge.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jul 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contrecoup
Mar 30, 2015
The AI and player both can also pull a call to arms long after the war has started. This is useful to win over fence-sitting "allies" or to get a free CB on an ally to plan to betray.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I was gonna try a very first ironman game but the box is greyed out ? I'm not using any mods ( not any I can find updated anyways)?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Trujillo posted:

Is it just me or when you fire an advisor do you automatically get the same type next?

I noticed this, I was firing multiple advisors at once and getting the exact same type and skill of replacement so I assume it's a bug.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

RabidWeasel posted:

I noticed this, I was firing multiple advisors at once and getting the exact same type and skill of replacement so I assume it's a bug.

Read my post about it on the last page. I obviously can't authoritatively say if it's WAD, but there is a system in place and you can see exactly how it works if you want to game it. It's just a case of RNG being RNG, ie: giving you a poo poo result seemingly 90% of the time.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Holy poo poo hitting the Revoke the Privilegia decision is amazing. Don't mind me, just making 60 ducats from vassals alone. Is there any reason to form the HRE? You lose all the sweet bonuses and I won't be able to fight wars on autopilot.

Time to wrap up the few wars these chumps are in and turn the fury of 100 000 angry germans (and like 50 000 czechs, Bohemia's been a bro all game) on the Ottomans.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Anyone else thinks the revolution events fire in way too quick succession? I have 2 France-Rev. France games now (the first one crashed and burned due to me screwing poo poo up), and in the monthly disaster event pulse I often get like 2 events a month, last game I got the Directory event (ending the Terror) within a few days of getting the Terror event (which fired off the execution of the king event at the same time), then I got Napoleon as a consul the next month after, then the next month the Infernal Machine fired killing him (25% chance). This time I got the Terror and Directory events even before I had gotten the Revolutionary Republic events (and the king was not executed because the Directory, which existed before the Republic somehow prevents that), and the first two still fired off within days of each other, then 2 months after the Revolutionary Republic I get Napoleon as consul (which is where I'm at now). If he's dead or emperor within the next 6 months I have a feeling that maybe something should be done about how quickly these events fire off, because right now it's a bit silly to be honest (Still hope to have fun loving over Europe's monarchs though.

e: Looking through it I can see that most of the events have a mean time to happen of 1 days and they are mostly triggered by flags set by the preceding events.

The Directory also has this as a trigger
code:
has_country_flag = reign_of_terror_flag
NOT = { had_country_flag = { flag =  reign_of_terror_flag days = 365 } }
Which makes it trigger from the reign of terror flag being set, but it the second condition seems to be that it will also only trigger if you have NOT had the reign of terror flag for 365 days, which means that, with a MTTH of 1 the Directory will happen almost immediately after the Reign of Terror begins as far as I can see. Shouldn't it be the other way around?

The event making Napoleon consul is triggered either by the year being 1799, the Directory event flag or the execution of the king flag, with a MTTH of 1 day, meaning it too happens very quickly, and the same is true of the Infernal Machine which is triggered by the Napoleon as consul event, MTTH 1 day, so that should happend anytime soon once I continue my latest game (gonna have to work today tough)

I'm guessing the events also are tied to the French Revolution disaster (though that might just be the initial event setting a flag), but really as far as I have seen the timing and spacing of the events really should be looked at, because right now it seems very off in you rush through them in the first few months to get to Napoleon, who has a 25% chance to be quickly killed off. After that all you are left with are the normal Revolution manpower, unrest and economy events.

e2: Yeah there's some a randomizer or something for firing off the events within the disaster itself, how do they work? Does their random chance (seems all of them have a chance of 100 with their being chance of 1000 of nothing, "0") conflict with the events themselves having a MTTH, or is the last one irrelevant? Anyway things still seem to happen at a breakneck pace, which I think is kind of a problem

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jul 8, 2015

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Gitro posted:

Holy poo poo hitting the Revoke the Privilegia decision is amazing. Don't mind me, just making 60 ducats from vassals alone. Is there any reason to form the HRE? You lose all the sweet bonuses and I won't be able to fight wars on autopilot.

Time to wrap up the few wars these chumps are in and turn the fury of 100 000 angry germans (and like 50 000 czechs, Bohemia's been a bro all game) on the Ottomans.

The achievement is literally the only reason to ever enact that decision. When I did it I did it the day before the end date.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

So uh, I just finished annexing a vassal while Austria was occupying one of their provinces and that province got annexed into Austria :stare:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Im trying this game again after more than an year (was too busy playing CK2) and wow, how much it changed (I have almost all DLCs, including Common Sense). It feels a lot more deep now, and more complex than ever.

Anyway, I had to try the nation designer, so I did a custom nation in the Hedjaz area, a shiite noble republic with some good buffs (I was a pussy and set the custom nation points to "easy" so I could start with some advantages. Its been a while Ive played this, after all).

So far, Im doing OK. Ive conquered the sunni nations on the Arabian Peninsula (all fabricating claims) and got allied with all shiites in the region, plus Oman. Then I got some provinces in north africa, and vassalized a small state there too. Now Im one of the big powers in the area, have a good army, and pretty safe (only trhe mameluks could beat me, but they cant beat me and my allies).

Ive got Humanism as my first idea because I was suffering a lot from rebels. Then I got Exploration as second cause Ive decided to rush and colonize Asia and East Africa before europe gets here. I just finished my first colony in those isles near Ceylon, so I got this part of the plan covered. Ive also doing fine in tech, on par with europe.

The problem is: Im poor. Tax is decent, but trade income is very low even though I got control of Gulf of Aden. My income is not enough to keep my standing army and colonize and convert provinces at the same time, Im going broke.

I guess that the solution would be to invest in trade, my location seems quite favorable to it. But I only got 2 merchants. One I left steering trade from Gulf of Aden to Alexandria (my home node), the other in Syria (Allepo, I guess) doing the same. But the income is abysmal and nothing I do seems to improve it. Perhaps I should get Trade as my next idea? And/or invest in boats to protect trade? Is it possible to change my home node to Gulf of Aden? What can I do to improve my trade income?

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jul 8, 2015

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The number one best thing you can do to improve your trade income is to conquer estuaries and centers of trade in nodes where you have merchants and ships. You need ships to increase your trade power in a node or other powers will sap it away.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Trade is probably required if oyu aren;t western though, since you can't form trade companies, you'll need the merchants it gives. Take plutocratic and expansion for the extra merchants they give too.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

In my savoy game, I took African provinces from Portugal - Sierra Leone to Gold Coast. Would I be better off keeping them as is or turning them into a trade company?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The number one best thing you can do to improve your trade income is to conquer estuaries and centers of trade in nodes where you have merchants and ships. You need ships to increase your trade power in a node or other powers will sap it away.

Thank you. I guess I will be conquering Ceylon to start (running out of places to invade at home anyway), building lots ships and will most definetlly get trade as me next idea.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

double nine posted:

In my savoy game, I took African provinces from Portugal - Sierra Leone to Gold Coast. Would I be better off keeping them as is or turning them into a trade company?

Turn the center of trade and the estuary into trade companies. You can freely add or remove provinces from a trade company and there's no visual difference. It's more like a province modifier than an actual subject. So basically add the CoT and estuary to the trade company, and however many else you need until you have enough provincial power to get the free merchant (check the subject screen)

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Trade is probably required if oyu aren;t western though, since you can't form trade companies, you'll need the merchants it gives. Take plutocratic and expansion for the extra merchants they give too.

If you westernize you can form trade companies just fine as long as you're not on the same continent (so the african trade companies are a no go unless you move your capital to europe) and you don't have a land connection from your capital to them.

You can also just beat up natives and independant CNs in the new world to form your own CN for the free merchant and trade power boost regardless of if you westernize.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, this kind of crazy poo poo happens constantly when you turn that off. Some people prefer it that way, I maintain that it's there for a reason.

I just wish there was a way to better randomise them, at least in Ironman. It's boring seeing the same countries always be lucky.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Really hosed up that playing as an Italian state, staying in the Empire gives a permanent +3 unrest, -1 prestige, +10% stab cost modifier...

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
As Florence I took the big prestige/relations hit to stay in the empire, then saw those modifiers and left the next day. It might be possible to get rid of them if you become the Emperor, not sure.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Bill

BBJoey posted:

A reactionary feudalist Slav on the Paradox Forums explains that Poland was an Oriental country.

Um, absolutely not.

Also, there is plenty of literature describing the evolution of or socio-economic system as neo-feudalism, so maybe that makes his day.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Gitro posted:

Yes. An achievement. Otherwise from a gameplay perspective, no.

Other than "role playing" reasons.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

For as long as I've played this game, I've never fully understood trade. Do you get any income from trade nodes you do not have a merchant collecting in, or transferring trade to a node you are collecting from?

For example, in Venice games I'm always sending ships to protect trade in weird places, and I've no idea if that actually does anything for me at all.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 8, 2015

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Average Bear posted:

Really hosed up that playing as an Italian state, staying in the Empire gives a permanent +3 unrest, -1 prestige, +10% stab cost modifier...

All of a sudden getting to be a Free City as Lucca is looking like a poisoned chalice.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

ZombieLenin posted:

For as long as I've played this game, I've never fully understood trade. Do you get any income from trade nodes you do not have a merchant collecting in, or transferring trade to a node you are collecting from?

For example, in Venice games I'm always sending ships to protect trade in weird places, and I've no idea if that actually does anything for me at all.

You don't get any income if no one is collecting, unless it is your capital trade node. You will make money from transferring trade to a node you are collecting from because more trade will go trough there.

I think it's best to protect trade in wealthy trade nodes that you are collecting from.

Does anyone know which year I can expect a province in Japan to convert to Catholic?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Protecting trade increases your trade power in that node. Trade power determines how much you collect from a node you are collecting in, or how much you transfer from a node where you are transferring. So if you transfer from node A to node B, then collect in B, you want to protect trade in both to maximize your income. Only protecting trade where you collect won't do much good if you aren't transferring much to that node.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Does trade power from ships travel downstream or only provinces?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Obliterati posted:

All of a sudden getting to be a Free City as Lucca is looking like a poisoned chalice.

It only applies to Latin culture group countries (that aren't Italy), so you need to either change cultures (and presumably find a way to re-gain Free City status), or just form Italy.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

ZombieLenin posted:

Well I have to admit the same is true for me. All I got is that you should steer to your home node and put boats protecting where you have merchants and that rarely it is a good idea to send merchants to collect.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I notice the tooltip for protecting trade with ships usually indicates that sending my trade fleet to the home node will increase trade by like .1 or sometimes subtract trade. What's up with that?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is there a way to form a cultural union without losing your own country's awesome ideas? I'm playing as an Italian country with good ideas and I don't want Italy's not-as-good ideas.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Elias_Maluco posted:

Well I have to admit the same is true for me. All I got is that you should steer to your home node and put boats protecting where you have merchants and that rarely it is a good idea to send merchants to collect.

Depending on what country you are, it usually is a good idea to collect at Cape since the trade power other countries have will be low if you have it locked down. I guess early on collecting in the New World isn't a bad idea either since you should have a monopoly on that node for a while, but if you're Spain then you should have a ton of trade power in your home node anyway.

Simplest way I learned how trade works is just think of it as every time trade moves a node it multiplies, so the more nodes you can move it down and reliably collect, the bigger your cut is going to be. That and see which way you're forwarding trade as a lot of spots won't really need a merchant to push it in the direction you want.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

Is there a way to form a cultural union without losing your own country's awesome ideas? I'm playing as an Italian country with good ideas and I don't want Italy's not-as-good ideas.

It depends on the specific union. Forming Great Britain, Spain, France, Russia, Germany, HRE, Scandinavia all don't change your idea sets, for example. Italy is a bit of an oddball in that it always changes your government and idea set.

IMO the Italian idea set is loving awesome though.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Few nice thing I'll say about MEIOU, they give you an event when you form a nation asking whether you wanna change ideas or not

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Tsyni posted:

I notice the tooltip for protecting trade with ships usually indicates that sending my trade fleet to the home node will increase trade by like .1 or sometimes subtract trade. What's up with that?
This tooltip is generally regarded as borked or incorrect at best. The best way to see how much sending a fleet ot a node helps is by sending it then waiting a month so the numbers update. It really is the best way to learn trade: just fiddling around with your merchants and trade fleets to figure out your current situation, because almost every situation is always different.

aeglus posted:

Simplest way I learned how trade works is just think of it as every time trade moves a node it multiplies, so the more nodes you can move it down and reliably collect, the bigger your cut is going to be. That and see which way you're forwarding trade as a lot of spots won't really need a merchant to push it in the direction you want.
I thought this got nerfed heavily and is not nearly as pertinent as it once was?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Pellisworth posted:

It depends on the specific union. Forming Great Britain, Spain, France, Russia, Germany, HRE, Scandinavia all don't change your idea sets, for example. Italy is a bit of an oddball in that it always changes your government and idea set.

IMO the Italian idea set is loving awesome though.

What do I need to edit in order to just get the new flag/name/accepted cultures without the ideas/government?

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Bort Bortles posted:

I thought this got nerfed heavily and is not nearly as pertinent as it once was?

It was heavily nerfed but it's still what you end up wanting to do if you have the ability to do so. Just you aren't going to get like 1500 ducats a month anymore, more like 150.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Regarding Revolutions:
I'm trying to spark one in my Ottoman game right now. Starting the disaster is easy enough, but the first rebels spawned besides a 50k rebel hunting army and was instantly wiped. I got an event a couple of months later that would have spawned three stacks on different isolated Indonesian isles, so I chose the non-rebel option. Years later and I haven't gotten a single revolutionary rebel uprising. Will there be more event-spawned revolutionaries? According to the wiki the revolution will be successful if my capital is occupied by rebels, but does it have to be revolutionary rebels? If not I'm just gonna move my capital next to the next rebel stack that pops up and mothball the fort...

Edit: Ottoman republics own, btw. In the mid 1600s the current Padisha's heir lawyered his father into stepping down and turned the Empire into bureaucratic despotism. Switching to a regular republic with elections meant I could keep the Janissary bonus the rest of the game with no problems, until I got too greedy and collapsed into an absolute monarchy, but happily for me that was just in time for the revolution.

Chickpea Roar fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 8, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

What do I need to edit in order to just get the new flag/name/accepted cultures without the ideas/government?

Note that this will void Ironman and achievements.

Navigate to your EU4 decisions folder and edit the ItalianNation file section:

code:
ITA = {
				set_capital = 118
			}
			if = {
				limit = {
					government = republic
				}
				change_government = despotic_monarchy
			}
			swap_free_idea_group = yes		#keep progress
You might be able to delete that entire section, what it's doing is moving your capital to Rome, switching your government (if republican) to a monarchy, and switching your idea set.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Really an event would be best imo

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
The game should ask if you WANT to switch idea sets on all these sorts of things.

I guess the problem with that is being able to preview/compare the ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Chickpea Roar posted:

Edit: Ottoman republics own, btw. In the mid 1600s the current Padisha's heir lawyered his father into stepping down and turned the Empire into bureaucratic despotism. Switching to a regular republic with elections meant I could keep the Janissary bonus the rest of the game with no problems, until I got too greedy and collapsed into an absolute monarchy, but happily for me that was just in time for the revolution.

Hmm, to prevent the Janissary decadence disaster you need 5 in a skill, but Republican leaders start with just 4. Did you easily manage to prevent the disaster in time for a reelection every time, or am I missing something else?

• Locked thread