Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

Mooseykins posted:

Saw a good one a while ago i kept forgetting to post. Sat at the lights a couple weeks ago and a Berlingo van goes bombing it over the junction towing a Transit Connect. Tow rope looked really short as the vans were only about 6' apart, looked like one of those bungee/kinetic ropes though.

Some time/miles later on the A12, traffic grinds to a halt as lane 1 is blocked. As i drive past i see it's the Berlingo and Connect, their tow rope has snapped. Only it wasn't a tow rope, they were using a load of domestic earthing cable, and it appeared that the knot had come undone, they were tying it back together.

:cripes:
Was this a couple of weekends back? Small world if it was, I think I saw these two jokers blocking a roundabout up by Southend airport. The twat in the Berlingo lurched out forgetting he had a Transit tied to his arse and nearly took the guy in front of me off the road.

Christ knows what they were doing taking a knackered Transit on a tour of Essex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combatace
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I was at a light yesterday behind a guy on a motorcycle. Light turned green, he sat there for a good 5-6 seconds, so I gave him a friendly honk. He turns around and glares at me for another five seconds before speeding off. I continue on my way to find him a few lights later. I need to make a right so I signal to merge, and he pulls up next to me and matches my speed so I can't move over. Slow down he pulls back, speed up a bit he comes right to my side. I eventually make it over and make my right, and once again, the guy speeds up next to me, kicks my right side mirror in and speeds off.

I got his plate, but the mirror was fine so there really wasn't any point in calling the cops.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwsZ6Fwdpo0

Always respect your elders, giving them a wide berth.

New GTA looking good.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwsZ6Fwdpo0

Always respect your elders, giving them a wide berth.

e: vvv It's from the China.jpg thread in gibbis, the comments say it's an 80+ year old man driving to the hospital to get meds. Or maybe he works for the hospital and is drumming up business.

I wonder just how many 30-somethings he thinks are worth murdering to save his own life.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

MrOnBicycle posted:

Had a boy racer type of guy gunning like hell to get past be before the 2:1 road ended (wires in the divider, so no way to go). I had to brake pretty hard (and I even let off the gas beforehand in anticipation of him trying something stupid like that) to let him pass, or he'd probably crashed into the wires. At least I got a "warning flash" thank you afterwards. He then proceeded to tailgate everyone he came up behind. I caught up with him 20 minutes later, still driving like a moron and for what? He made almost no time doing it.

Also, I find doing the windshield wash trick to tailgaters pretty effective. Most of them seem to realize that they are a bit too close if they have to turn their wipers on.
That actually means he thinks you lost the race.

Combatace posted:

I got his plate, but the mirror was fine so there really wasn't any point in calling the cops.
The point always exists - discouraging anti-social, dysfunctional behavior.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Almost hit a motorcycle that was parked way in the back of a car space. It was between an SUV and an F-250 so I thought the space was empty till I was halfway in the spot. Why do people park in the very back of a space where you might not be able to see it? God knows people are dumb enough in parking lots with cars they can see coming at them, wouldn't it be better to park it closer to the entrance of the space where it is easier to spot, or is the idea that if it is farther back where some moron would have more time to spot it and stop?

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 8, 2015

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

sleepy.eyes posted:

it is farther back some moron would have more time to spot it and stop?

This. For my part, I looked for a spot at the end of a row, or even better, actual designated motorcycle parking.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

sleepy.eyes posted:

Almost hit a motorcycle that was parked way in the back of a car space. It was between an SUV and an F-250 so I thought the space was empty till I was halfway in the spot. Why do people park in the very back of a space where you might not be able to see it? God knows people are dumb enough in parking lots with cars they can see coming at them, wouldn't it be better to park it closer to the entrance of the space where it is easier to spot, or is the idea that if it is farther back where some moron would have more time to spot it and stop?

Living in Calgary, where half the people feel the need to drive cock-extension long-bed pickups, I wish even small cars would park a little further toward the back of a stall. It makes it hard to look for an unoccupied stall.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

sleepy.eyes posted:

Also, the 2 giant vision blockers might not have been there when the bike was parked. I ride, and try to park on sidewalks (never blocking any actual walkways), share a spot with another bike, or in designated motorcycle parking (best but rarest option). But when the lot is nearly full, sometimes the MX-5 and Civic you parked between transformed into a Suburban and an Excursion.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
I wasn't annoyed by the biker, I was thought of myself as in the wrong here. I was just wondering why people park like that. I've seen it often enough that it piqued my curiosity.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
They don't think about it or think it's safer. I purposefully park near the front of the spot to try to be seen, but in general I also park out of the way to try to avoid the problem all together.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

MrOnBicycle posted:

Also, I find doing the windshield wash trick to tailgaters pretty effective. Most of them seem to realize that they are a bit too close if they have to turn their wipers on.

Someone in a Prius going 5 under the limit in the left lane did this to me yesterday. If it weren't for this thread, I would have attributed it to their general nincompoopery. I thought long and hard about my infraction as I was forced to pass them on the right to go 15 mph faster than them.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
My lane now, motherfucker!

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Someone in a Prius going 5 under the limit in the left lane did this to me yesterday. If it weren't for this thread, I would have attributed it to their general nincompoopery. I thought long and hard about my infraction as I was forced to pass them on the right to go 15 mph faster than them.

If you go 5 under the limit in a Prius, you are probably totally clueless about everything. They probably had no idea you were there.

Maybe flashing the fog light works. I don't enjoy having people so close I can't see their headlight when going 100km/h (the limit) in a single lane road with wires on both sides. At least not when going past joining roads where people sometimes underestimate the speed of traffic like hell and / or don't accelerate fast enough after suddenly pulling out, forcing me to brake hard.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

nsaP posted:

They don't think about it or think it's safer. I purposefully park near the front of the spot to try to be seen, but in general I also park out of the way to try to avoid the problem all together.

In my former job's parking garage, available spaces were at a premium after about 9:30 am. There was this one moron who parked their scooter ALMOST every day (but not every day, so not predictably) in such a way that you'd only notice the spot was taken once you'd committed to entering a space you'd have to reverse out of. I hated that person

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

wayfinder posted:

In my former job's parking garage, available spaces were at a premium after about 9:30 am. There was this one moron who parked their scooter ALMOST every day (but not every day, so not predictably) in such a way that you'd only notice the spot was taken once you'd committed to entering a space you'd have to reverse out of. I hated that person

Why the gently caress can't they park their scooter in the bike rack? Where it belongs.

I thought that was one of the big benefits of riding a scooter or motorcycle, you get to park them in the bike rack, and don't have to pay for parking that way.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

You have to love that blinker.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Toaster Beef posted:

You have to love that blinker.

He actually used it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Deedle posted:

Why the gently caress can't they park their scooter in the bike rack? Where it belongs.

I thought that was one of the big benefits of riding a scooter or motorcycle, you get to park them in the bike rack, and don't have to pay for parking that way.

It would make sense, but it's very illegal to do that here because Reasons!

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

InitialDave posted:

I don't care if you're legally allowed to use them. If you don't really need to, gently caress off and leave them for people who actually do. There's an entire row of regular spaces half-empty a mere twenty feet away.

It's not even a case of needing the wider room for opening your doors more, or the closer access to the entrance because you have difficulty walking. You are sitting in your parked car. Jesus.

I live in an older apartment complex (built in the 70s I think) and they have handicapped spots in all their lots. For reference, the building I live in is three floors.

Problem is, they have no handicapped ramps, elevators, or other accommodations. Granted, I haven't seen many folks in wheelchairs but I know a couple people there who have trouble with stairs, so it seemed a little half-assed to me.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Sigma X posted:

He actually used it.

That's what I mean. I have to wonder what people are assuming the blinker even does for other drivers if it's being used in such a cursory fashion

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

Was this a couple of weekends back? Small world if it was, I think I saw these two jokers blocking a roundabout up by Southend airport. The twat in the Berlingo lurched out forgetting he had a Transit tied to his arse and nearly took the guy in front of me off the road.

Yes, it was! A12 towards Essex (A few miles shy of the M11) is where they stopped and blocked a lane while tying new knots in their tow rope.

When they drove past me before the A12 (In Wapping) they were absolutely bombing it over a junction.

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

Christ knows what they were doing taking a knackered Transit on a tour of Essex.

Blending in with the locals! :v:

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Toaster Beef posted:

That's what I mean. I have to wonder what people are assuming the blinker even does for other drivers if it's being used in such a cursory fashion

Oh. Well, in that area, turn signals usually aren't used, and the people that do use them, don't actually use them to signal to others they're gonna turn or change lanes - it's more "I'm coming the gently caress over NOW, get outta my way!", kinda like you see in that clip.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
Plenty of idiots around here use their signals to indicate that they are in the process of turning! I'M TURNING RIGHT NOW! TIME TO FLICK ON THE BLINKER!

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Deedle posted:

You do that and someone comes around wondering why you didn't park in a spot and telling the owner that some jerk motorcyclist thinks he can park at the bike rack so he doesn't have to walk.

There's always going to be someone with something to say about how you park, which is why I try to park it in places like the bike rack but out-of-the-way so no one will complain.

Bikes are entitled to a space anyway so people can just shut up. I bet you nine times out of 10 the person complaining about a bike taking up a car spot drove wherever they are by themselves.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 8, 2015

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

dee eight posted:

Plenty of idiots around here use their signals to indicate that they are in the process of turning! I'M TURNING RIGHT NOW! TIME TO FLICK ON THE BLINKER!

The two I see the most are:
-slowing down to an almost complete stop before hitting the turn signal to indicate that they are turning into this driveway over here
-pulling completely into a left turn lane before indicating that they intend to actually turn left

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Uthor posted:

-slowing down to an almost complete stop before hitting the turn signal to indicate that they are turning into this driveway over here
-pulling completely into a left turn lane before indicating that they intend to actually turn left

Add to that:
-The guy stopped at a red light in the left turn or go straight lane who only turns his signal on after the light turns green and people going straight are stuck behind him.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Murphys Law posted:

Add to that:
-The guy stopped at a red light in the left turn or go straight lane who only turns his signal on after the light turns green and people going straight are stuck behind him.

oh you mean that guy who's gonna hear my horn till he gets moving?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I was just out on the balcony watering plants when I overheard some screaming on the street below. It was a jogger shouting at a driver about his lights being off... while jogging in the middle of the street :downsbravo:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

BraveUlysses posted:

oh you mean that guy who's gonna hear my horn till he gets moving?

Oh, reminded me: I'm at a light. Four lanes (left turn lane, two go straight lanes, right turn lane with a bit of a concrete island separating it from the others). The guy one car back from the light in the left hand go straight lane decided he needed to make a right instead. So he pulled his big old SUV (Suburban or something) diagonally across the right hand go straight lane, rear end end still sticking in the left hand go straight lane, and sat there blocking the road until all the other cars turning right went by so he could go.

He got to hear my horn until I had enough room to squeeze around him, then a little more as I drove past.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
And I bet he gave you a dirty look like you're the rear end in a top hat.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Uthor posted:

This poo poo right here is one of the only things that really gets my blood pressure up when I'm driving. There's nothing like following behind someone who's going 50mph as they slam on their brakes, slow to 10mph to take the most leisurely turn imaginable, and then decide to hit their turn signal. Thanks for the goddamn warning, buddy. I think I'd be less pissed off if they never bothered to use it at all.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

At work, each building has 10 reserved spots for motorcycles at the building entrance of each building. The spots are never full. There's always 1 or 2 cyclists who take up the nearest car spaces, which are a good 100 feet away. Why?

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!
I got surprise rear ended today.

Pretend I'm the red car, driving the white line. The geometry on this intersection is really weird, so I make sure to go out and around so I don't cut into the other lane.

The lady behind me in the Escalade with sick rims yo? gently caress THAT I'M TAKIN' THE RED LINE. She didn't stop until I got out of my car and screamed at her. Then she suggested I was at fault because I was in the wrong lane. She cut over the double yellows by at least a car length.

I know it's a terribly shaped intersection but c'mon people, cars can travel in curves.

At least she ended up with the ticket but man, just another thing to deal with.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

TacoHavoc posted:

I got surprise rear ended today.

Pretend I'm the red car, driving the white line. The geometry on this intersection is really weird, so I make sure to go out and around so I don't cut into the other lane.

The lady behind me in the Escalade with sick rims yo? gently caress THAT I'M TAKIN' THE RED LINE. She didn't stop until I got out of my car and screamed at her. Then she suggested I was at fault because I was in the wrong lane. She cut over the double yellows by at least a car length.

I know it's a terribly shaped intersection but c'mon people, cars can travel in curves.

At least she ended up with the ticket but man, just another thing to deal with.

There isn't even a large X in the lane she cut across indicating it could be advisable to do so (protip, assholes: those are for large vehicles that could not otherwise make the corner, not an invitation for you to cut it even more). That's just plain stupid.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

PT6A posted:

There isn't even a large X in the lane she cut across indicating it could be advisable to do so (protip, assholes: those are for large vehicles that could not otherwise make the corner, not an invitation for you to cut it even more). That's just plain stupid.

I don't think I've ever seen a lane marked like that in the US. If it's a tough turn for trucks, typically what happens is they push the stop line back to ease up the angle a bit. But of course everyone ignores it and the line ends up under their rear wheels anyway.

turtleluvr
Apr 19, 2015

"mhhr mmmrr mhhh mhhm"
So this is the third (yes I said THIRD!) time that my car has been hit while it is parked in the three years I've had it. Luckily this time it's relatively minor compared to some of the damage other idiots have done to it. I just don't understand, does my car have a "kick me" sign on the back of it that I've never noticed? And all three times they've just driven the gently caress away like "oh well! nbd guys!" That's the part that pisses me off the most. I understand, everybody's human, but my car is the nicest thing I own and if you damage it, have some freaking integrity and own up to it.

Rant over. Also if you can't avoid a stationary object when starting from a standstill then you have problems.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

turtleluvr posted:

So this is the third (yes I said THIRD!) time that my car has been hit while it is parked in the three years I've had it. Luckily this time it's relatively minor compared to some of the damage other idiots have done to it. I just don't understand, does my car have a "kick me" sign on the back of it that I've never noticed? And all three times they've just driven the gently caress away like "oh well! nbd guys!" That's the part that pisses me off the most. I understand, everybody's human, but my car is the nicest thing I own and if you damage it, have some freaking integrity and own up to it.

Rant over. Also if you can't avoid a stationary object when starting from a standstill then you have problems.

My Vibe had a kick me sign too. Rearended while stopped 3 times (once while I was between a pedestrian and a drunk in a minivan, so I was glad to be the one that got hit that night- the other two were under pretty stupid circumstances too), and hit while parked twice, first one was a cyclist (!) and the second would have written the car off had it not been a hit and run (or had I had full coverage).

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I'm dreading owning a new car in the future. I mean it took a week for my dads car to get a ding in the door, and the car he had before that go jumped on by drunks, who then also broke of the antenna...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

MrOnBicycle posted:

I'm dreading owning a new car in the future. I mean it took a week for my dads car to get a ding in the door, and the car he had before that go jumped on by drunks, who then also broke of the antenna...

Let me just tell you, the very first ding or scrape on a new car hurts you deep and turns your insides into a bottomless pit of despair and impotent rage.

Then, when you've mellowed out over a day or two, it's more like "eh, at least that's out of the way now" :shobon: