Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Let me know if I should stop posting the fruits of my official forums safari. Just wanna share the laughs with my goon pals.

Verranicus fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Mazed posted:

FATEs in HW zones might be slightly less of a waste of time soon.

I hope so. Dinging 50 in N. Than with one that awarded close to 30k and then going to Western Highlands and getting 14k for one is utterly dumbfounding.

Kinda seems like the right way to go from 50-60 is dungeons at the moment. Still grindy, but I don't think it'd really take that much more time, and I bet it'd be okay if you spread it out over a couple weeks.

I don't know why you'd want to just do fates anyways, don't people need to do dungeons and stuff to actually learn how to play a given class? Hell, I've been starting on DRK and I'm still scared to take it into anything more high-stakes than a Guildhest because I'm still figuring out how to tank :kiddo:

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Evil Fluffy posted:

I've been in PF Bismarck EX groups that could only take the Carapace to about 20-25% in the first round despite everyone being i170 or higher.

All of my Bismarck ex PF ex experiences involve an endless cycle of "kills the shell, hosed by snakes, healers blame each other and tanks before quitting" and its kinda funny in a frustrating way.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Adventure Pigeon posted:

I enjoyed oldschool MMOs a lot and have some nostalgia for them, but I've moved on and appreciate the many sensible mechanics and quality of life improvements that newer MMOs offer. Does this make me a well balanced human being or a poorly balanced MMO fan?

Moving on is a good sign. It's one thing to have played and enjoyed those games when we were young, dumb, didn't know any better and the genre was uncharted ground.

But holding to them like an article of faith years later probably indicates brain problems.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I keep telling myself I'll resub to FFXI and gently caress around again, which is apparently more tolerable now that you can take a job to 99 solo in a few days as opposed to 75 in several weeks/months and failed parties. If progression was still like it was in pre-Abyssea days then I'd never consider going back.

Mazed posted:

FATEs in HW zones might be slightly less of a waste of time soon.

I hope so. Dinging 50 in N. Than with one that awarded close to 30k and then going to Western Highlands and getting 14k for one is utterly dumbfounding.

This is fantastic. It may take a little time, but it's always good to know the devs are continually listening to players and making adjustments.

abraham linksys posted:

Kinda seems like the right way to go from 50-60 is dungeons at the moment. Still grindy, but I don't think it'd really take that much more time, and I bet it'd be okay if you spread it out over a couple weeks.

I don't know why you'd want to just do fates anyways, don't people need to do dungeons and stuff to actually learn how to play a given class? Hell, I've been starting on DRK and I'm still scared to take it into anything more high-stakes than a Guildhest because I'm still figuring out how to tank :kiddo:

Dungeons are pretty much the fastest path to 60 in terms of raw grinding, yeah. At least if FATEs are improved it will be an alternate avenue of advancement. Sometimes you don't want to run dungeons for hours, and sometimes you do.

Also, if you're worried about being a bad tank, don't be. Everyone has to start somewhere. It just boils down to making sure mobs are hitting you instead of other people, and regularly rotating to other mobs to check their enmity levels are still nice and high. You won't get better unless you suck it up and try some dungeons, and there's nothing wrong with mentioning you're new to tanking and you're open to advice. Only dicks and assholes will have a problem with you.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
Gatherers: what rotation are you using to maximize collect ability on Epheremal Nodes? I've been doing Discerning into Methodical x2 and then Single Mind into Methodical for 2x things at ~445 collectability, but I once got super lucky with Last Ditch on a gently caress up and got something with 525; when I reduced it I got dawnborne aethersand which is running about 55k each at the moment.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

I've been in PF Bismarck EX groups that could only take the Carapace to about 20-25% in the first round despite everyone being i170 or higher.

Did Bismarck EX for the first time last night with just such a group. Makes me wanna get a parser so I can... fume silently rather than call out bad people, I guess.

It was kind of frustrating because the other tank and I were making all these beautiful flawless switches on the snakes and poo poo, but even with a level 2 limit break they could never kill the fuckers in time.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Verranicus posted:

Let me know if I should stop posting the fruits of my official forums safari. Just wanna share the laughs with my goon pals.

i mean this is borderline moonman broken english but i have completed literally 3 levels of hunting logs: mrd 1, accidentally, and maelstrom 1 and 2, so i could buy cool dressup for my chocobo.

i assume this is what he means but 'kill x mobs, kill y mobs'. i'm level 54 on my mrd, i'm leveled ahead of my heavensward msq quest, and the only thing i would call 'tedious' about my day-to-day playing is not getting a dungeon i like in my lldr.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

nuru posted:

Alex 4 in particular feels like they may have designed savage then just removed things to create the normal mode.

They've said that this is how they design the primal battles (EX version first, then strip out mechanics for story mode) and I see no reason to think they didn't do the same thing for Alex.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Vil posted:

Yes, there are collectibles from level 50 nodes in west Coerthas (mining, 12 am/pm) and forelands (botany, 2 am/pm). The latter has a friendly bear nearby, so use stealth. Once you've discovered them, your process is basically toil -> collector's glove -> click item -> discerning eye -> methodical appraisal x2 -> collect x4, 500 GP required.

Assuming your perception is high enough for those 2.5 appraisals to get you to the minimum turn-in requirement for those items, that'll net you ~240k exp for turning them in, for each of those two gatherers, twice per game day.

Thanks. Holy butts that's a lot of XP. :stare:

Now I just gotta get botany from 4 to 50 :sigh:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Klades posted:

No, you bastard, I had struck all these memories from my mind, and now thanks to your carelessness they return, unbidden!

SOW PLZ

If nobody knows what we're talking about, imagine if sprint was a 10 minute buff, which you cast on other people, but only MCH was able to cast it.

Awaken the memories of old. Remember the biggest maps of any mmo existed filled to the brim with absolutely nothing. Dungeons where you could not kill any boss with less than 100 people. Instead of running dungeons you go to one room and kill the Mobs over and over for 20 hours.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Thanks. Holy butts that's a lot of XP. :stare:

Now I just gotta get botany from 4 to 50 :sigh:

Those low level turn-ins remain excellent XP all the way to 60 because you'll probably only get 1-2 items out of the higher nodes, whereas with Figs you're getting 4-5 at 66k a pop each time.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i mean this is borderline moonman broken english but i have completed literally 3 levels of hunting logs: mrd 1, accidentally, and maelstrom 1 and 2, so i could buy cool dressup for my chocobo.

i assume this is what he means but 'kill x mobs, kill y mobs'. i'm level 54 on my mrd, i'm leveled ahead of my heavensward msq quest, and the only thing i would call 'tedious' about my day-to-day playing is not getting a dungeon i like in my lldr.

I'd assume he's talking about the quest design, which are usually either "kill x mobs" or "interact with x things on the ground" and probably one of the weakest parts of the game for me.

It's just about the only thing I agree with him on, though. Being able to reach maximum level is so awful you guys :saddowns:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rafzakael posted:

Anyone on Excalibur that has 60 BSM and would like to try making an HQ Adamantite Sledgehammer? I've tried reaching out to a few BSMs that are 60 but they're either afk or not on when I am. I have the HQ mats and crystals!

I've got one on the MB right now. If it hasn't sold by the time I log in today, you can have it for the mats.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Fister Roboto posted:

I've got one on the MB right now. If it hasn't sold by the time I log in today, you can have it for the mats.

Thanks, but Flapjack just made me one. They're worth a pretty penny though!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Tenzarin posted:

Awaken the memories of old. Remember the biggest maps of any mmo existed filled to the brim with absolutely nothing. Dungeons where you could not kill any boss with less than 100 people. Instead of running dungeons you go to one room and kill the Mobs over and over for 20 hours.

Ah yes, hordes of people slowly working their way room by room to the bottom of Sol B, engaging Nagafen and getting the server-first kill... followed by the howls of fury ringing off the walls because somebody stole all the loot by clicking faster than everybody else.

As for better and more modern games, my group hit the hard enrage in A1, mostly because the melee (including me) were having to deal with adds rather than punching out oppressors. Make sure the appropriate party members know how to push buttons and kill adds, folks.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 8, 2015

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Verranicus posted:

Remember the days when we had to grind for weeks for a level, only to lose it when we died? Getting to max level was an achievement, poo poo they carved my name on the moon when I did it, it was that big of a deal. And dont get me started on people actually participating in dungeons and raids.

Stockholme syndrome manifesting in video game players is always tragic. :(

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

nuru posted:

Alex 4 in particular feels like they may have designed savage then just removed things to create the normal mode.

*hollers and smashes pots and pans together* DOUBLE QUARANTINES

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 8, 2015

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rei_ posted:

*hollers and smashes pots and pans together* DOUBLE QUARANTINES

I... I really want this...

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

I love how easy it is to identify a FF11 player who hasn't actually played FF11 in the last five years.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Ryanbomber posted:

I'd assume he's talking about the quest design, which are usually either "kill x mobs" or "interact with x things on the ground" and probably one of the weakest parts of the game for me.

It's just about the only thing I agree with him on, though. Being able to reach maximum level is so awful you guys :saddowns:

gently caress these quests and thank you to whoever made youtube videos of where to find a moogle's dumb baskets in a big vertical area. After the Churning Mists I haven't done any sidequests that weren't related to unlocking flying or so and my HW experience improved immensely since.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rafzakael posted:

Thanks, but Flapjack just made me one. They're worth a pretty penny though!

It would be if idiots would stop undercutting me by 100,000 at a time.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Shaezerus posted:

I love how easy it is to identify a FF11 player who hasn't actually played FF11 in the last five years.

http://www.ffxiah.com/player/Ragnarok/Skizzle
Last seen using the auctionhouse in mid-2013, just prior to ARR's launch

I don't know what kind of person can play post-Abyssea FFXI and still think Zilart of all things was the peak of the FFXI experience

Neat Machine
May 5, 2008

heh
Things FFXI did better than FFXIV:
-Auction House
-Party members were less ephemeral so people talked and became friends (or enemies)
-Blue Mage
-Galkas??

Neat Machine fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 8, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Furnaceface posted:

Remember the days when we had to grind for weeks for a level, only to lose it when we died? Getting to max level was an achievement, poo poo they carved my name on the moon when I did it, it was that big of a deal.

On the other hand, leveling content used to be actual content, not filler you have to go through before you can play the game. :v:

But really, it's just a different approach imo. As long as I have fun with it, I don't really care. The problem with a lot of old mmos wasn't so much the content itself, IMO, but that they could be seriously un-fun to play unless all the stars aligned for you to get a fun evening in (i.e. waiting forever for groups).

That said, I never really played a lot of any old theme park MMO, with the exception of Ragnarok Online, which is basically just a slightly clunkier diablo with more players and a dumber xp curve. And I had tons of fun with diablo2 never reaching max level either, so...

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

Fancy Corndog posted:

Things FFXI did better than FFXIV:
Auction House
Party members were less ephemeral so people talked and became friends (or enemies)
Galkas??

Nah, blindly playing the Price is Right game with every single thing you wanted to buy didn't make up for the couple times you got something for 1 gil, and also galkas have weird tiny feet

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Chairman posted:

Nah, blindly playing the Price is Right game with every single thing you wanted to buy didn't make up for the couple times you got something for 1 gil, and also galkas have weird tiny feet

It was easier to undercut people when I want to dump a lot of stuff quickly. Also galka feet were weiiiird.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Why do people want 14 to be more like 11? That game still exists for them.

Lumis
Jan 10, 2006

I'm either a friend or a foe. Depends on who's looking.

KoB posted:

Because they want 11 with 14's graphics and as a result think it's unfair that it's a new game instead of just an update of 11.

Also because they think there's only one good way to make a FINAL FANTASY MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER ONLINE ROLE-PLAYING GAME.

I still play with people who love 14 but still constantly complain how "easy" the game is and how 11 was so much better.

Lumis fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 8, 2015

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

KoB posted:

The purists will look at what FF11 is right now and weep. They made it accessible

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Truga posted:

On the other hand, leveling content used to be actual content, not filler you have to go through before you can play the game. :v:

But really, it's just a different approach imo. As long as I have fun with it, I don't really care. The problem with a lot of old mmos wasn't so much the content itself, IMO, but that they could be seriously un-fun to play unless all the stars aligned for you to get a fun evening in (i.e. waiting forever for groups).

That said, I never really played a lot of any old theme park MMO, with the exception of Ragnarok Online, which is basically just a slightly clunkier diablo with more players and a dumber xp curve. And I had tons of fun with diablo2 never reaching max level either, so...

Yeah as someone that played has played basically all the MMOs and is thankful those days are dead and gone, leveling was not content at all. Leveling in EQ/DAoC/AC/AO/etc... was literally find mob spawns, camp mob spawns until you reach level XX, then upgrade to new area and repeat. Quests were sparse and hardly ever worth doing since there was no story to them, they were typically very time consuming and awarded less XP than just sitting at a redcap base and PBAoE spamming. And you still had to grind through the system (and in many cases, combat it if you wernt of a very particular class/spec) in order to play the game since almost all the focus and development was spent on the activities you do at the level cap.

Its me, Im the MMO survivor. :corsair:

Neat Machine
May 5, 2008

heh

The Chairman posted:

The MB is just a big dumb LIFO chain where everyone will always undercut by .01% and I hate it. It requires micromanagement to get stuff to sell at a reasonable rate and fair price. Having to sell everything through retainers is already enough micromanagement. Selling things shouldn't have to be such a pain. Also it's dumb that things are listed in groups of 38 or w/e the hell. Who needs 38 of a thing? So then I have to leave the MB, go to my retainer, select 37 of the thing, and undercut the existing items by 1 gil. Hopefully someone needs 37 of this thing before another person lists some (and undercuts me by exactly 1 gil).

Auctions are fun and so is the price is right.

Neat Machine fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 8, 2015

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

If you don't want to play the undercutting game sell items that move in high volumes and / or sell items in more accessible numbers. Big ticket items that have huge markups are ripe for the market board warrior battles.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

KoB posted:

The punitive, uncaring Zilart/Promathia era FFXI no longer exists; around the time of Aht Urghan, FFXI steadily became more and more accessible with easier EXP sources, more instanced and solo content, and less mysterious mechanics and stats. Around the time Tanaka left, Abyssea did a massive gear reset and raised the cap from 75 to 99 while making it trivial to get a character to 99, and now current Adoulin-era FFXI has vertical progression and gear with itemlevel. They want XIV to be Tanaka-era XI because S-E took Tanaka away from them and they're still angry about it.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

nuru posted:

The purists will look at what FF11 is right now and weep. They made it accessible

It's this. It is exactly this. Whenever somebody starts talking about 11 it's almost always in a snapshot of 2005-2007 (aka Maximum Tanaka). FF11 now would probably give those guys a loving heart attack.

Hell, just telling them that Absolute Virtue is not only legit beatable, but obsolete content would give them a heart attack:

Gammatron 64 posted:

We killed AV in about... 30 seconds. It look longer to walk there than it did to kill him.

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 8, 2015

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i undercut dumb loving nerds all the time because i'm constantly loving poor and i'd rather have 80k gil now than wait 3 weeks for some poor sap who really needs a gatherer's hand materia is willing to be gouged horribly for the privilege of failing his pentameld

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

If I farm the mats myself...anything I make is pure profit!

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i'm constantly loving poor because i undercut dumb loving nerds all the time

fix'd

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i'd comment on how i'd have tens of thousands more gil if i was willing to constantly have 90 items sitting on the marketboard but a stranger might think that's a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
spider-man: maximum tanaka was my favorite SNES game

• Locked thread