Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

I'm glad after all these years you still have that avatar.
That was the second-best mod for inciting rage, behind goblin therapist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
wow might have had a chance if blizzard had kept all their plague idiots locked up in project titan

now with stevie frost they don't stand a chance lol

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Thunderbro posted:

wow might have had a chance if blizzard had kept all their plague idiots locked up in project titan

now with stevie frost they don't stand a chance lol

I'm gonna enjoy this trainwreck

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Last good wow dungeons were cataclysm heroics.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Anoia posted:

I'm gonna enjoy this trainwreck

I'm curious who exactly was on project titan because you can definitely see the effects of a sadhead infestation through all the WoD content that wasn't levelling (so done after titan was nixed). These guys failed to make any viable gameplay in 7 years and vastly slowed down our work when reintroduced to other projects, better cover for them!

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Nemo2342 posted:

Oh man, Fallen Age. I remember Beta testing that, and still have a t-shirt somewhere I got from when it flopped. Mostly all I recall about it now though is that it ran like poo poo on my PC, and some of the early enemies looked like slugs.

The shirts were the best thing to come out of it. I've still got like ten of them. Not sure what I did with the surplus keychains though, I had like hundreds of them. I ended up with everything that was left over of both after we sent them out to the testers.

biznatchio fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jul 8, 2015

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Thunderbro posted:

I'm curious who exactly was on project titan because you can definitely see the effects of a sadhead infestation through all the WoD content that wasn't levelling (so done after titan was nixed). These guys failed to make any viable gameplay in 7 years and vastly slowed down our work when reintroduced to other projects, better cover for them!

Did they ever reveal what Titan actually was? Like a space game or diablo mmo or..?

Tenzarin posted:

:stare:

Ulduar was the golden age

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Strategic Tea posted:

Did they ever reveal what Titan actually was? Like a space game or diablo mmo or..?

:stare:

Ulduar was the golden age

Then trial of the "Stand in this room whilst we throw bosses at you" happened.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Strategic Tea posted:

Project Titan was supposed to be a sci-fi MMO with action combat, and Overwatch is its salvaged assets and remnants turned into a TF2 clone.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Tenzarin posted:

You are a crazy person.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Rhymenoserous posted:

The bosses were pretty good. The atmosphere was not.

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

Rhymenoserous posted:

That's because it wasn't in the original patch schedule as planned. After Ulduar released, they took a hard look at the schedule, realized that ICC was a good long while away, and that they needed something else to fill that gap. Since ICC was still being worked on, the majority of the content for the Argent Tournament was handled by the event team (the outside dailies and jousting, some of the 5-man), with the usual encounters guys handling the boss-in-a-box style raid. It didn't have the usual development cycle (and certainly not the time that Ulduar had, which as you can imagine was quite long!) That's why it felt a bit rushed and different from the norm.

As someone who was on the event team at the time, it was nice to work on something different. I still love how the VA did my Black Knight lines.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Shadowlyger posted:

You are a crazy person.

The dungeons weren't even hard, only thing you had to do was interrupt. The power creep raped those dungeons. People complained that WoD killed heroics but really Pandaland killed them as there were so many you would be done with them in a week.

The black knight dungeon was really good.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 8, 2015

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

Cyster posted:

That's because it wasn't in the original patch schedule as planned. After Ulduar released, they took a hard look at the schedule, realized that ICC was a good long while away, and that they needed something else to fill that gap. Since ICC was still being worked on, the majority of the content for the Argent Tournament was handled by the event team (the outside dailies and jousting, some of the 5-man), with the usual encounters guys handling the boss-in-a-box style raid. It didn't have the usual development cycle (and certainly not the time that Ulduar had, which as you can imagine was quite long!) That's why it felt a bit rushed and different from the norm.

As someone who was on the event team at the time, it was nice to work on something different. I still love how the VA did my Black Knight lines.

Are you are thinking of Ruby Sanctum instead of ToC?

Ulduar - 4/15
ToC - 8/5
ICC - 12/9
Ruby Sanctum - 6/22
Cata Pre-patch - 10/12
Cata Launch - 12/7

From what I remember ToC coming out just 4 months after Ulduar made it feel rushed and I remember people complaining about it at the time and when doing post-mortum discussions on WotLK. Ulduar could have easily gone a few more months as normal groups were still working their way through the place and hard mode groups were nowhere near bored with the place yet.

ICC coming out only 4 months after TOC didn't feel as rushed so no one complained about it. We were running so many versions of ToC concurrently, along with it having fewer encounters then Ulduar, meant that the burnout on the place was coming faster. Yet ToC could still have lasted another couple of months if they had known that ICC was going to have to hold up for a whole year. Ruby Sanctum was the PoS content thrown at players, that many just ignored, while they were burning out on almost a year of ICC.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Rouncer posted:

Yes, one of the people who made the content and specifically mentions a distinct aspect of it is confused about which patch they're talking about.

I actually really liked ToC, the boss in a box style was kind of nice compared to the trash bonanza from naxx, sarth, and ulduar, and it was nice to have the roles reversed on explaining fights when faction champions happened and the pve heroes in my guild kind of fell apart, so those of us who PvPed had to step in and do it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
When ToC came out my group was just learning yogg with no light. Blood DK was so much fun before they removed penetration!

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

Rouncer posted:

Ulduar - 4/15
ToC - 8/5
ICC - 12/9
Ruby Sanctum - 6/22
Cata Pre-patch - 10/12
Cata Launch - 12/7

From what I remember ToC coming out just 4 months after Ulduar made it feel rushed and I remember people complaining about it at the time and when doing post-mortum discussions on WotLK. Ulduar could have easily gone a few more months as normal groups were still working their way through the place and hard mode groups were nowhere near bored with the place yet.

ICC coming out only 4 months after TOC didn't feel as rushed so no one complained about it. We were running so many versions of ToC concurrently, along with it having fewer encounters then Ulduar, meant that the burnout on the place was coming faster. Yet ToC could still have lasted another couple of months if they had known that ICC was going to have to hold up for a whole year. Ruby Sanctum was the PoS content thrown at players, that many just ignored, while they were burning out on almost a year of ICC.

ToC's timing came too soon, I agree. It fell into a weird space where if nothing had come out between Ulduar and when ICC would have been out, it would have felt too long, but the launch date of ToC happened before most people had exhausted Ulduar.

But no, that anecdote was about ToC, since that was what I worked on. :v:

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Cyster posted:

lol.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

I liked ToC because I would attempt to kill as many people as possible with shaman water walking. I also hate it because it never dropped solace. Same with the abacus in ICC.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
I really liked ToC for the 5 player. It was simple enough that I could run it with random pubs and not be too likely to wipe, it went quickly enough that I could log in on a fairly busy day that didn't have enough time for a full dungeon and bang out the fights real fast. It was a good example of how WotLK managed to cater to pretty much every play style up until they hosed everything up with cataclysm.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

The Chairman posted:

Project Titan was supposed to be a sci-fi MMO with action combat, and Overwatch is its salvaged assets and remnants turned into a TF2 clone.

It was also supposed to be super crafting-intensive, according to the Kotaku post about it: http://kotaku.com/heres-what-blizzards-titan-actually-was-1638632121

Overwatch looks hecka fun and I'm glad it doesn't have any MMO mechanics because it looks like a real cool shooter

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhymenoserous posted:

Violet hold and black morass were both pretty well received so they just scaled it up. foolproof.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Let's work on the new wow guys we will call it Titan! It will be a space mmo with guns! But because we want it to play like wow everyone is a hunter! Space Hunters!

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

abraham linksys posted:

It was also supposed to be super crafting-intensive, according to the Kotaku post about it: http://kotaku.com/heres-what-blizzards-titan-actually-was-1638632121

Overwatch looks hecka fun and I'm glad it doesn't have any MMO mechanics because it looks like a real cool shooter

My only issue with Overwatch is it's a thinly veiled gently caress you to valve for winning the fight over the Dota trademark.

ContraceptiveCereal
Mar 27, 2010
Yeah that is pretty accurate.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Normal Adult Human posted:

Violet hold and black morass were both pretty well received so they just scaled it up. foolproof.

lol

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

abraham linksys posted:

So basically Firefall? Sounds like we dodged a bullet.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

biznatchio posted:

The shirts were the best thing to come out of it. I've still got like ten of them. Not sure what I did with the surplus keychains though, I had like hundreds of them. I ended up with everything that was left over of both after we sent them out to the testers.

I'm not sure I ever got a keychain (though I may have just forgotten about it), but I definitely had one of those shirts in my closet for a long time.

Those were some good times; playing Infantry into the wee hours of the night, trying to beta test a "hot new MMO", and sometimes even making it to class.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I hope that everyone is having fun playing Metal Gear.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
I'm playing the 3DS port of MGS3 and it's pretty sweet.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Crab Battle

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Eye of Widesauron posted:

From a design perspective how do you feel about this tease released for the new one

Is that a reference to Future Force? :stare:

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

SirPhoebos posted:

it's zadornov's rocket hand from peace walker

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

SirPhoebos posted:

It would need to come out of the trunk of your car.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Eye of Widesauron posted:

From a design perspective how do you feel about this tease released for the new one

Woulda been better if the fist rocket hit the dude in the crotch.

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.
Wildstar has good music.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I was playing this today since I got it in that Humble Bundle and it's pretty great. Much better than it was back when I played it in alpha. Shame the PVP server is deader than dead though. Gotta play on the PVE server and transfer before the F2P transition.

Gaybee
Jul 16, 2002
I think PvE servers are pretty dead too imo

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Gaybee posted:

I think PvE servers are pretty dead too imo

Literally the entire PVE population.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

don't expect any substantial population on any server until F2P launch

there's people around but not really enough to do anything like dungeons or adventures. queuing for content solo? no dont do that. dont do anything. wait for f2p

• Locked thread