Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

rabidsquid posted:

Runeglaive Trond?? Please report back if so

I enjoyed critting pantheon in the mouth for 600 magic damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump collector
May 28, 2007
http://www.dailydot.com/esports/riot-ban-wave-scripting/

quote:

In layman’s terms, one rival scripting team hacked another and made the rivals script send the anti-cheat packet to Riot's servers. Anyone who played during that day got an update that told riot 'HEY, IM CHEATING BAN ME.'”

lmao

and the last line of the article

quote:

This lines up with a statement from a Riot spokesperson. "Despite the fact that these two scripting groups are beefing like Piltover and Zaun, League's security team is working around the clock to ensure player experience," the spokesperson wrote. "We do not incentive scripters to report each other, but new cheats and security vulnerabilities can qualify for rewards through our bounty program."

Almost every official statement or post they make includes some cringeworthy reference to their lovely lore or a retarded meme so it makes me think they are not serious about anything they say

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Can someone link hte the Willump jungle writeup someone did in the thread a while ago?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Aumanor posted:

Can someone link hte the Willump jungle writeup someone did in the thread a while ago?

eat the monsters

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Aumanor posted:

Here you go friend.

I recall someone was starting a tumblr to archive goon LoL guides, but I can't seem to find it.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

New gangplank thoughts:

-15 seconds to recharge a passive is bullshit, you basically have to shoot a barrel to use it again.
- the damage on multiple barrels doesn't stack so it seems like you're best off just dropping a barrel on the enemy and Q-Ing it.
- the damage on barrels is kinda dumb, it does whatever damage you auto'd it with plus some bonus damage if it hits a champion, why not just make the damage it does actually scale properly instead of letting a crit parley do 2000 damage to an entire enemy team. The armour penetration on it is nice though.
- why does parley apply every on hit in the game except gps new passive? I don't get it at all why a champ who's entire gimmick is "ranged melee autoattack" would not be able to apply his own passive. If it's that strong as a passive change it to magic damage or something, jesus.
- barrel slow is going to get nerfed for sure, 80% slow for 3.5 seconds seems kind of strong.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Drone_Fragger posted:

- why does parley apply every on hit in the game except gps new passive? I don't get it at all why a champ who's entire gimmick is "ranged melee autoattack" would not be able to apply his own passive. If it's that strong as a passive change it to magic damage or something, jesus.

that would be busted as gently caress dude. it's supposed to be an incentive to actually go in and fight people rather than just pelting insane free damage in their face from range and getting movespeed.

champions who just endlessly spam ranged targeted abilities at you are really annoying (especially in top lane vs melee matchups) so i think it's a cool passive actually. there is genuine gameplay to it, it's not just a 'free' thing he gets. he can sit back and poke a bit, but he's more effective if he also trades a few autos as well.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Lovechop posted:

that would be busted as gently caress dude. it's supposed to be an incentive to actually go in and fight people rather than just pelting insane free damage in their face from range and getting movespeed.

champions who just endlessly spam ranged targeted abilities at you are really annoying (especially in top lane vs melee matchups) so i think it's a cool passive actually. there is genuine gameplay to it, it's not just a 'free' thing he gets. he can sit back and poke a bit, but he's more effective if he also trades a few autos as well.

The fact that GP can't actually Q for his passive makes me smile. Free true damage would be beyond dumb but that's a really fair tradeoff for such a strong trick.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I saw a lot of Janna dickriding earlier in the thread. I have tried her a few times but always felt like I was able to do her job but better on Nami. Is it just me or do they have very similar skillsets, with Nami having better numbers that just flat make her better? In what situations would I want a Janna over a Nami?

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
It looks like Gangplank has decent mana sustain now since you get 25 mana per unit killed by exploding a keg and he doesn't have to choose between using Q to farm or harass if you get good at timing last hitting the keg.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."

Sharzak posted:

I saw a lot of Janna dickriding earlier in the thread. I have tried her a few times but always felt like I was able to do her job but better on Nami. Is it just me or do they have very similar skillsets, with Nami having better numbers that just flat make her better? In what situations would I want a Janna over a Nami?

A) You're facing an all-in team. if a Xin Zhao, a Maokai and an Ekko jump on your carry, exactly how is Nami going to save somebody compared to Janna just pressing R?

B) You're playing with a poke team. A shield that grants 50 bonus AD for a Jayce, Corki or Varus is infinitely more valuable than a heal.

C) You need instant peel. In the time it takes your bubble to land, people can reposition, but there's no way to get out of the path of Janna's Q in time, much less cancel or avoid her R.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Sharzak posted:

I've played hundreds of games of both of them.

I don't like Nami currently because her entire power combo structure requires hitting a very small bubble on an increasingly jittery mobile gently caress bunch of champions. If you can't hit bubbles you are better off just playing Sona for heal/poke. In fact you probably won't be able to hit bubbles because of the design of other characters in the game, so you actually are better off just playing Sona.

Janna is the best support in the game right now because:
1) Her shield at Level 9 blocks a ton of damage and gives a BF Sword
2) Her Tornado is capable of CCing multiple people at safer ranges and is much better at chasing down kills as well, it has better offensive or defensive uses than Nami bubble which has about 25% of the hit box of a Tornado.
3) Janna's Monsoon fucks off absolutely everything that clusters to dive your team in a team fight. Nami's Tidal Wave basically only works in a choke or in a tower lane fight, and it keeps people in place and just disrupts them for a short time. If Nami's Wave were to rock people backwards along it's path or something she might be able to be in the same league of team fight disruption.

All these reasons and more are why Janna is ~5% win rate higher than Nami for several patches in a row.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Sharzak posted:

Janna's shield is more useful for trading than Nami's E. It also scales really well and gives AD, so it can help a caster burst better in lane. You can put it on towers too. Not that Nami E is bad but it has fewer uses.

Janna's Q is also better for disengage because it can be used instantly or you can charge it. It's also a line skill shot so it can be used creatively in a choke for area denial.

Janna's ultimate is also an instant knockback which is pretty useful sometimes. Nami's ultimate is good too but it's possible to flash over the wave.

I'd say Nami definitely has better engage than Janna but worse disengage.

I like Nami's laning much more because of the sustain but Janna is definitely the queen of disengage.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Also Nami's heal (W) and buff (E) are on two different skills and you can't max them both first. Janna's shield and buff are on the same skill and it's max at Level 9 every game.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Alistar is the undisputed king of disengage purely because he disengages fights you could have won then displays his dominance by pounding the air

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Libertine posted:

I've played hundreds of games of both of them.

I don't like Nami currently because her entire power combo structure requires hitting a very small bubble on an increasingly jittery mobile gently caress bunch of champions. If you can't hit bubbles you are better off just playing Sona for heal/poke. In fact you probably won't be able to hit bubbles because of the design of other characters in the game, so you actually are better off just playing Sona.

Janna is the best support in the game right now because:
1) Her shield at Level 9 blocks a ton of damage and gives a BF Sword
2) Her Tornado is capable of CCing multiple people at safer ranges and is much better at chasing down kills as well, it has better offensive or defensive uses than Nami bubble which has about 25% of the hit box of a Tornado.
3) Janna's Monsoon fucks off absolutely everything that clusters to dive your team in a team fight. Nami's Tidal Wave basically only works in a choke or in a tower lane fight, and it keeps people in place and just disrupts them for a short time. If Nami's Wave were to rock people backwards along it's path or something she might be able to be in the same league of team fight disruption.

All these reasons and more are why Janna is ~5% win rate higher than Nami for several patches in a row.

Oh yeah, this reminded me of one more thing and it's that...

Libertine posted:

Also Nami's heal (W) and buff (E) are on two different skills and you can't max them both first. Janna's shield and buff are on the same skill and it's max at Level 9 every game.

gently caress, beaten! But yeah, this. If Nami's W applied the tri-shot and she had a bonus skill, then Janna and Nami would be comparable.

fnox
May 19, 2013

I really don't get why Janna's shield gives AD.

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.

Sharzak posted:

In my opinion Janna is better for more reliable disengage or peel. Janna's Q is much easier to use effectively as you can start it in a general area and either launch it immediately or let it sit there and just be a threat for a knock-up and enemies are effectively zoned from the path for the entire duration of the charge. Janna's ulti is also more reliable in terms of creating space after the enemy team successfully engages.

If you like playing Nami though, just play Nami. It's a general myth of champion select that you need to play perfect matchups or teamcomps or whatever. Janna might be more in-meta than Nami right now but for 99.5% of the playerbase the difference is marginal and usually overcome if you've spent the time mastering one champion or the other. It takes a lot to internalize the of nuances of any champion, and you'll do better on a champion where you instinctively know whether an enemy champion is in range for a skillshot and how to time and aim it correctly rather than playing a different champion just because they're "stronger" according to some dudes on an internet forum.

edit: libertine is totally right and more eloquent but my point is if you already have spent a ton of time playing nami and you don't like playing janna, it's probably better to just stick with nami

mushi fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 8, 2015

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I think a Nami played well will do an appreciable amount of damage on her own [during lane only] while a well played Janna will enable the ADC to do a lot of damage and stay alive. If you really want to do damage in lane you should get the hang of zilean and timebomb your enemies back to the S1 meta

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Lovechop posted:

They could insentify those things by making his passive reward melee attacking after using skills (like his skills apply a stack of "powder residue" or something and when you auto-attack or parley someone with that on they ignite for damage? or something) or even just remove parley and replace it with a skill-shot or another skill so there's some counterplay. I don't know, something just really bothers me about a champ who's gimmick is his Q is a ranged auto that applies on-hit effects then arbitrarily going "but not this one because it's too strong" when they could easily balance it around that.

It's not like endless ranged harrass is why GP is good right now anyway, he's good because he gets a passive permaslow which does DoT and can cleanse CC so anyone who can't outright fight him or has a built in escape just gets run down repeatedly and murdered.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
horny boy: i chose league of legends as my moba because much like miss fortune, i am taxed to contain myself from spilling all over that blouse

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Lot of good Janna pointers. Thank you. I'll give her another shot with a few of those philosophies in mind. Right now Nami is my only support I'm fully comfortable with. Who would be another good support to learn quickly that would fill a completely different role than hers? My friends want me to play support for them in ranked 5's but I don't ever play bot lane and am quite shaky on bot lane dynamics. I know there are poke comps, disengage comps, heal comps, stuff like that, but I'm not sure when I should pick what. Can someone maybe go into detail on that for me? Just the dynamics of bot lane in general?

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Tonetta posted:

horny boy: i chose league of legends as my moba because much like miss fortune, i am taxed to contain myself from spilling all over that blouse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3KskO3_2YQ

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.
They reworked Sivir who is my favorite champion and at the time I thought they busted her by taking the teamwide autoattack steroid off her R. While I still think the autoattack steroid was good for gameplay decisions ("do I pop this so we can push harder or take baron faster, or do I save it for a teamfight?"), the rework was probably one of the most massive buffs to date.

On the other hand, they reworked Karma after like more than a year and half in the dumpster, and she was still dumpster tier even after all the time and iterations of the rework they went through. At least they eventually tuned her numbers up, but last i heard they're messing with her skills again, so go figure.

Then I realized I probably don't know poo poo about gameplay balance or design and I just have to wait until it's released to figure out how the changes will impact a champion.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Sharzak posted:

Janna is the best disengage champion in the game and also has a very significant AD bonus. She's also obscenely fast even if you never bothered to buy boots and her ult is probably one of the best team-fight swinging skills in the game. If you're better with Nami play Nami but Janna's kit has more to it than you're probably seeing.

The main thing is that she can not only make her carry hit harder but has a lot of tools to keep said carry alive. It's hard to see what Janna does until you spend an entire game sitting on an ADC and letting nothing get to them, ever.

Nami and Janna also have somewhat different play styles. Janna has a lot of "no, gently caress you, go away" in her kit and is very, very good at baiting chases then denying the other team any success in them.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 8, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Janna is by a ridiculously huge degree my favorite champion. She is the most fun support to play while also being insanely effective.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Sharzak posted:

Lot of good Janna pointers. Thank you. I'll give her another shot with a few of those philosophies in mind. Right now Nami is my only support I'm fully comfortable with. Who would be another good support to learn quickly that would fill a completely different role than hers? My friends want me to play support for them in ranked 5's but I don't ever play bot lane and am quite shaky on bot lane dynamics. I know there are poke comps, disengage comps, heal comps, stuff like that, but I'm not sure when I should pick what. Can someone maybe go into detail on that for me? Just the dynamics of bot lane in general?

Get a melee champion. Braum and Nautilus are the classic choices, with Thresh if you want to focus on getting mechanically very skilled from the support slot.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
Janna is the epitome of invisible power, not because of her ad on shield but because none of your team will notice all the times you've turned their terrible decisions into pro plays.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Tonetta posted:

the horny boy is inside us all. when my girl started playing league she looked through all of the champions and picked mf just because she had nice tits. now that's all she plays, haha.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Janna is cool because if you're far ahead or also losing or really just doing anything you can style on the enemy team by insec-ing somebody.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Janna is kinda lame cuz she's passive as hell, tho.

If your adc sucks then, welp.

I also wish her whirlwind didn't take up a huge amount of her mana bar, but oh well.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

If you're playing Janna passively you have no one but yourself to blame. You could be Insec-ing people!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Gamerofthegame posted:

I also wish her whirlwind didn't take up a huge amount of her mana bar, but oh well.

...passive? She can shield herself and auto for harass that isn't answerable if you position right. Her harass in lane is bonkers.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

That was a goal of their rework, they didn't want him to be "so Piratey McPirate"

They're wrong for wanting this and I hate his rework because of it. Goofy pirate was far preferable to whatever edgy bullshit he is now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gamerofthegame posted:

In what way shape or form is Janna passive?

In lane you have a strong shield that gives you AD. Go in, toss off AA harass, laugh.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Gamerofthegame posted:

This is so wrong and it's horrible when I have to play with a passive support. Just because a support is more defensive oriented doesn't mean they get to just sit around near the tower and do nothing.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I heard rumors that there are aggressive supports who use their aggression to allow their ADC to farm safely, but I don't believe them. The only supports around these parts are the ones that engage 1v2 or feed on an "AP carry"

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

rabidsquid posted:

I heard rumors that there are aggressive supports who use their aggression to allow their ADC to farm safely, but I don't believe them. The only supports around these parts are the ones that engage 1v2 or feed on an "AP carry"

i jus pick brum n punch mans

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
That's fair; I save the shield for my adc to harass and poke with zephyr, I hadn't considered shielding myself for it instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Janna isn't the strongest in lane, but with careful positioning she can be really powerful.

I used to dread picking her into Blitz or Thresh, but now I really enjoy it. It's fun moving in a tantalizing way, slightly around the minion line, to try to bait out their hook. If they never ever try to hook, you can just bully them continuously; if they're aggressive with hooks, you can make them miss and bully them even harder. It's great.

It also requires hundreds of support vs hook support practice games before you can do it without just dying continuously, but hey, League of Legends is hard.

• Locked thread