Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer
Honestly there's barely a use for gil in this game. I just think of it like a high score

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
that's dumb and not true. there's not a use for gil in this game if you're an omnicrafter, who are coincidentally the people who make all the gil.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

I can't stop. People are so deluded.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pews posted:

Honestly there's barely a use for gil in this game. I just think of it like a high score

I've only had to use gil to teleport and to level a craft haha
Oh and my lack of gil is why I didn't bother getting materia to finish my relic

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Gil is for being outrageously pretty, having cute pets, and steroid abuse when raiding.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Fister Roboto posted:

It would be if idiots would stop undercutting me by 100,000 at a time.

It could be worse. Just think: Highland Barding sold for 1.5M at the start of 3.0. By last night, the one that I've been continually reposting and undercutting by 1 gil finally sold for 295K after taxes.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

If I farm the mats myself...anything I make is pure profit!

Go back to Econ 101, noob.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 8, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Furnaceface posted:

Its me, Im the MMO survivor. :corsair:

Eh, I was more talking in jest, when I said "content".

Ye olde MMOs were basically MUDs but with slightly worse graphics. The way to play was to log in, kill some poo poo for xp, and log out. If you had luck, the death penalty wasn't retarded and the gameplay was fun, so you'd have fun and make some progress every day, but that was about it.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

It could be worse. Just think: Highland Barding sold for 1.5M at the start of 3.0. By last night, the one that I've been continually reposting and undercutting by 1 gil finally sold for 295K after taxes.

Go back to Econ 101, noob.

In a stunning counterpoint to this, the first Ravana's Forewings were listed for like 5 mil, actually sold for like 50k, cratered to like 3k, then rebounded and I was able to offload mine for half a million.

Launch day economics defy all sense.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Verranicus posted:

I can't stop.

Please do though

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I keep hearing about 2-dungeon EX roulettes. I thought it was 3? Fractal Continuum, Neverreap and Aetherochemical Research Facility?

Also is there a separate LLDR for the other HW dungeons or something?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

drunk asian neighbor posted:

I keep hearing about 2-dungeon EX roulettes. I thought it was 3? Fractal Continuum, Neverreap and Aetherochemical Research Facility?

Aetherochemical Research Facility is not in (any?) roulette at the moment

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Only the first two come up in EXDR but all 3 generate Law tomes.
I don't think any of the HW dungeons qualify for LLDR?

edit: yea all LLDR are under lv50 dungeons and all of the HW content is over 50 http://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Duty_Roulette

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

rock2much posted:

So you'll never get one of them in any roulette right now? You just have to queue for them individually?

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

rock2much posted:

edit: yea all LLDR are under lv50 dungeons and all of the HW content is over 50 http://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Duty_Roulette

actually, all the non 60s do. i've gotten vault and gubal library doing lldr

that wiki page is wrong as hell

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

So you'll never get one of them in any roulette right now? You just have to queue for them individually?

edit: ^^^ whoops, that's what I get for trusting a wiki :(

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
you also get ravana and bismarck hard in trial roulette

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Shaezerus posted:

It's this. It is exactly this. Whenever somebody starts talking about 11 it's almost always in a snapshot of 2005-2007 (aka Maximum Tanaka). FF11 now would probably give those guys a loving heart attack.

Hell, just telling them that Absolute Virtue is not only legit beatable, but obsolete content would give them a heart attack:

Not only do these people get heart attacks, they get into a total, seething rage whenever you mention Abyssea. Or WoW. Or XIV. Or whatever.

DizzyBum posted:

I keep telling myself I'll resub to FFXI and gently caress around again, which is apparently more tolerable now that you can take a job to 99 solo in a few days as opposed to 75 in several weeks/months and failed parties. If progression was still like it was in pre-Abyssea days then I'd never consider going back.

I would have never considered ever playing it again if that was the case, too.

I only know one person irl who says that Abyssea "ruined" FFXI and made it "too easy" and made it "casual WoW crap for babies" and that "it was better back in the old days when it took years to get to 75 and I had to spend hours camping King Behemoth." Said person is diagnosed with autism and has never worked a single day in his life or had any real responsibilities and is literally able to play video games 24/7.

I see tons and tons of people who say this poo poo online and I just have to assume they're in the same boat from my very reliable anecdotal evidence. Abyssea actually made FFXI into an accessible, fun game instead of a mega-grindy nut-punching simulator

I could play old school really punishing MMOs when I was in high school because I was a high schooler. And nobody knew any better before WoW. Nowadays I have adult responsibilities and I just do not have time for that poo poo.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

sword_man.gif posted:

you also get ravana and bismarck hard in trial roulette

Also the final boss.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

cheetah7071 posted:

Please do though

What is it about OF safaris that irritate people? If you don't like his posts then put him on ignore like some people do Belzac and move on.

If you didn't want to read lovely opinions posted by morons why the gently caress did you pay :10bux: to post here?

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Saigyouji posted:

Also the final boss.

i figured but i haven't gotten him in it yet so didn't want to assume

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Also you actually level up much faster in FFXI than you do XIV too, that's some more head exploding stuff.

Spending hours and hours in XP parties in the dunes was not fun. Once I watched both the Godfather pt. 1 AND 2 during a single Yuthunga Jungle party.

But I think the worst thing ever was waiting for hours for a notorious monster to pop and hope your alliance manages to claim it before someone else does within a span of a split second. That is like, the worst game design ever.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

nuru posted:

Those low level turn-ins remain excellent XP all the way to 60 because you'll probably only get 1-2 items out of the higher nodes, whereas with Figs you're getting 4-5 at 66k a pop each time.
It's real easy to get 3 items off of 450 nodes as long as you have 600 GP and enough perception.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

Also you actually level up much faster in FFXI than you do XIV too, that's some more head exploding stuff.

Spending hours and hours in XP parties in the dunes was not fun. Once I watched both the Godfather pt. 1 AND 2 during a single Yuthunga Jungle party.

But I think the worst thing ever was waiting for hours for a notorious monster to pop and hope your alliance manages to claim it before someone else does within a span of a split second. That is like, the worst game design ever.

The exact spawn time was after the kill. The HNM would spawn 21-24 hours after. So you show up at hour 21 but a bit before. And every 30 minutes there was a 30 second window you were on your toes to get the claim. If the 30 second window passed you went back to bull making GBS threads or trying to cause drama while waiting for the next window.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Aero claim master race!

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Algid posted:

It's real easy to get 3 items off of 450 nodes as long as you have 600 GP and enough perception.

The 'enough perception' part is the problem. That requires HQ gear at the level, correct, or maybe bis melded right side pre-51? I'm 60 now so I can't remember exactly, but I know for Chives / Cloud Bananas and similar I could only get multiple when I effectively outleveled the nodes by a couple levels. That was using vendor NQ gear at 55 and 59, and HQ weapons, so hardly optimal.

Figs are still absolutely worth gathering. I burned cordials to gather every 2 hours.

nuru fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 8, 2015

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013
The map in this game is beyond atrocious, am I doing something wrong? Every quest is a struggle to find out where to go and even if I know where to go I can't figure out how I'm supposed to get there. I've spent a crazy amount of time trying to get to Florentels spire for the Dragoon quest.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

G-Whizard posted:

The map in this game is beyond atrocious, am I doing something wrong? Every quest is a struggle to find out where to go and even if I know where to go I can't figure out how I'm supposed to get there. I've spent a crazy amount of time trying to get to Florentels spire for the Dragoon quest.

Generally a quest will have a 'map' button that will show you an orange circle on the map to indicate where you need to be.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Fancy Corndog posted:

Things FFXI did better than FFXIV:
-Auction House
-Party members were less ephemeral so people talked and became friends (or enemies)
-Blue Mage
-Galkas??

Pf Raids are the new dunes. I've made more online friends by meeting friendly and good natured people tackling hard content than I ever did in xi. And unlike leveling where it's super hard to stay synced raid tiers are more permanent and it's easy to feel a sense of community and get to know people

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013

nuru posted:

Generally a quest will have a 'map' button that will show you an orange circle on the map to indicate where you need to be.

But if you haven't been there before it doesn't give you indicators of direction. It's counter intuitive.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

G-Whizard posted:

But if you haven't been there before it doesn't give you indicators of direction. It's counter intuitive.

I'm not sure what you mean. The map will show the location either way, and you can zoom out to see relative position. Do you mean it's difficult to figure out how to get to that point from where you are? In that case, as you attempt to move toward it your map will uncover and it becomes more clear. The only place I think this is annoying is probably sea of clouds due to there being multiple levels overlapping.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

nuru posted:

I'm not sure what you mean. The map will show the location either way, and you can zoom out to see relative position. Do you mean it's difficult to figure out how to get to that point from where you are? In that case, as you attempt to move toward it your map will uncover and it becomes more clear. The only place I think this is annoying is probably sea of clouds due to there being multiple levels overlapping.

Not only that, the minimap will have an arrow on the border indicating which direction it's in.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

G-Whizard posted:

Huh? What's hard to understand about this?

If you click on a quest name in the Duty List it brings up the entry in your journal. If you click on the objective text ("Macguffins collected: 1/3") then it'll show you on the map where you should go.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
it's not super easy to determine the optimal path through the zones. getting from lower lominsa to like eastern la noscea or something.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I would just give up now, because you haven't even faced the greatest threat at hide and seek.

MOOGLES

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013

Suitaru posted:

Huh? What's hard to understand about this?

If you click on a quest name in the Duty List it brings up the entry in your journal. If you click on the objective text ("Macguffins collected: 1/3") then it'll show you on the map where you should go.

Navigating the map if the quest is in your area is easy. What isn't easy is finding out how to get to other cities.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

G-Whizard posted:

Navigating the map if the quest is in your area is easy. What isn't easy is finding out how to get to other cities.

at level 15 you will get a quest that takes you to the other cities. Then you can just teleport there.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Always
Be
Teleporting

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Azerban posted:

Always
Be
Teleporting

Pray return to the waking sands, motherfucker.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

VHGS posted:

Pray return to the waking sands, motherfucker.

teleport to limsa, teleport to arcanists guild, never don't teleport

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

that's dumb and not true. there's not a use for gil in this game if you're an omnicrafter, who are coincidentally the people who make all the gil.

Yeah, you can use the gil to make even more gil

• Locked thread