Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

johntfs posted:

The problem for me is that Rusty's more of a villain (in the selfish, careless rear end in a top hat sense) than a supervillain. Supervillains are really wrapped up in the mystique of being a supervillain, as witness The Monarch. Rusty isn't going to build a super-ray that turns all of the Bronx into killer frog-people. However, he might cheap out on waste disposal and bury leaky barrels of toxic waste near drinking water that does the same thing.

I really hope there is an episode where the Monarch discovers that Rusty is more evil than him without even trying. Like you said where the Monarch would try to mutate some people but before he is able to, Rusty accidentally spills a barrel of waste that gets into the water supply. The Monarch builds some sort of death ray to kill someone but then Rusty bumps into a switch in his lab that activates some laser that ends up refracting through some lens, bounces off the moon and then kills the guy first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Jonas Sr was a careless villain then too, forgetting a bunch of children locked up under the venture compound.

Brock I'm stuck down here with a confessed arsonist!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The way I see it, Rusty Venture and Hank Pym are two fictional scientists cut from the same cloth, both by all god given rights should have become the most notorious and evil mad scientists their respective worlds had ever seen, but something got in the way of that for the both of them; the murder of Hank Pym's first wife lead to him becoming Ant Man out of vengeance, while the murder of Janet Van Dyne's father lead her to becoming the Wasp, thus giving Hank a partner who was much more inherently heroic, and soon Hank would find himself as a central figure of the budding superhero scene which would keep him from becoming a villain, but said villainous tendencies would keep coming back to bite him in the rear end over the years(mostly in the form of Ultron)

With Rusty the things holding him back were his sons(probably one of the only things that really mattered to Rusty for many years, even if having clones available would gradually jade him about their safety and well being), and ironically enough The Monarch whose incredibly persistent arching would make the idea of becoming a super villain have no appeal to Rusty until Killenger would show up and by then Rusty's had just enough of an actual morality built inside him from both being a father and from his friends that the idea of becoming a Villain terrified Rusty enough that he rejected a chance at real success, which has paid off in the long run with Rusty inheriting Jonas Jr's company, which I believe will signal the end of the really Big Failures for Rusty(he'll still have plenty of little failures though cause he's still Rusty with all that implies about him)

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Cojawfee posted:

I really hope there is an episode where the Monarch discovers that Rusty is more evil than him without even trying. Like you said where the Monarch would try to mutate some people but before he is able to, Rusty accidentally spills a barrel of waste that gets into the water supply. The Monarch builds some sort of death ray to kill someone but then Rusty bumps into a switch in his lab that activates some laser that ends up refracting through some lens, bounces off the moon and then kills the guy first.

Oh please, the laser wouldn't kill the guy, just... knock him out of phase, trapping him in the phantom zone or some nonsense. Look don't worry about it, Doc will fix it by the end of the episode (completely forgets about the guy).

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
I find it hard to imagine Rusty as a villain given his primary characteristic is laziness. All the unethical stuff just stems from apathy rather than malicious intent.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

johntfs posted:

The problem for me is that Rusty's more of a villain (in the selfish, careless rear end in a top hat sense) than a supervillain. Supervillains are really wrapped up in the mystique of being a supervillain, as witness The Monarch. Rusty isn't going to build a super-ray that turns all of the Bronx into killer frog-people. However, he might cheap out on waste disposal and bury leaky barrels of toxic waste near drinking water that does the same thing.

So we'll get an episode of him making something for the mob then

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

EatinCake posted:

I find it hard to imagine Rusty as a villain given his primary characteristic is laziness. All the unethical stuff just stems from apathy rather than malicious intent.

I also don't see him being the kind of guy to abide by Guild rules, considering how much he uses Guild rules to avoid confrontations with the Monarch.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

In fairness to Rusty, he did refuse to clone Hitler on moral grounds. He could have sunk lower than he has!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
He may be an amoral jackass, but he's an American jackass :911:.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Shindragon posted:

Basically Rusty is good at being the evil mad scientist. That's why I really liked the Venchmen episode. All the misery and hate towards his brother. He pretty much screams it. Really hilarious how he just asks Brock if he's... bad?

And Brock just goes.

Ehhhh.

Somebody should memorialize that wonderful moment in TV history with, I don't know, an avatar and some personal text or something.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Android Blues posted:

In fairness to Rusty, he did refuse to clone Hitler on moral grounds. He could have sunk lower than he has!

I love that whole scene. Somehow he hadn't put together who he was talking to or what they obviously wanted (as there's only one thing Nazis ever really want to do when it comes to super-science), and all of the sudden, it dawned on him. His eyes move down the line as it occurs to him that they're Nazis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vspxFHqQh4Y

(I also like how the semi-big-bad suddenly shouts when he gets to Hitler's name, because of course he does, that's what Nazis do!)

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Rusty would be a great villain, but the core of his character is him rejecting villainy and I don't want to see him going down that road. He's not a good person, because he doesn't know how, but he refuses to be a bad one.

Basically I just want to keep seeing him look annoyed when costumed criminals send everyone else into a panic or countering ransom demands with "Give me head".

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

Oh please, the laser wouldn't kill the guy, just... knock him out of phase, trapping him in the phantom zone or some nonsense. Look don't worry about it, Doc will fix it by the end of the episode (completely forgets about the guy).

Not until we ship.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

EatinCake posted:

Oh I dunno about that - Rusty is quite clearly extremely good when it comes to illegal / immoral science - and he certainly can be malicious when he puts his mind to it.

quote:

Jonas Sr was a careless villain then too

Dunno about that, there's something quite deliberately evil about Jonas Snr. Much like the the Monarch is pretty bloody awful at being evil - but there's hints he's actually a pretty decent character deep down. I could see in S6 that Rusty and Monarch gradually swap sides.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The seed of your loins is quite astute. I saved your mechanical man from certain damnation!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It honestly wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if JJ wasn't an absorbed twin at all, but a latent attempt by Jonas Sr. to use Rusty as a 'genetic lifeboat' in the event of his death. The plan might've just gone slightly awry.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cacafuego posted:

Jonas Sr was a careless villain then too, forgetting a bunch of children locked up under the venture compound.

Brock I'm stuck down here with a confessed arsonist!

Right, "forgetting". :rolleye:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

sbaldrick posted:

Rusty vs. the EPA, the episode writes itself.

Especially if there is a moment involving regular people not realizing that's how Rusty lives gets attacked by the Monarch.

So many Ghostbusters jokes in that.

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets
So, per Jackson Publicks twitter, Adult Swim screened a season 6 episode at SDCC tonight. So goddamn jealous.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

The Piper posted:

So, per Jackson Publicks twitter, Adult Swim screened a season 6 episode at SDCC tonight. So goddamn jealous.

drat!

I wonder how long before some shaky fan video of it will be released?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Knew they wouldn't just have nothing for SDCC. Come on internet! GIMME

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

The Piper posted:

:eyepop: We might get season 6 as early as 2017!

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Also Dark Horse is giving away copies of the Venture Home News at their booth.

*EDIT*

And here are two photos that have leaked out. Let the speculation begin!

Djarum fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jul 10, 2015

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Aw, the old gang's back together

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Hank looks like he's wearing a Cobra Kai gi, which he has done in the past. Or maybe a metal t-shirt with the sleeves torn off, which also makes sense if he's gotten even more into Shallow Gravy. And Dean is in a wifebeater?

Also, has the (new) Sovereign done something different with her hair? It goes well with the Guild uniform. It'll be cool to see her in the leadership role, though it'll absolutely gently caress with the dynamics of their marriage...

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

As long as the Monarch gets to arch Venture, he won't care. It would be funny to see Dr. Mrs. The Sovereign start telling him to drop his trousers whenever she gets fired up though.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
Or will it be Sovereign Doctor Missus The Monarch? I'd love to see what they do with her increasingly long list of honorifics.

Better yet: THE Sovereign Doctor Missus The Monarch. Two the's.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Those sneaky fuckers, leak the episode.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

tarlibone posted:

Or will it be Sovereign Doctor Missus The Monarch? I'd love to see what they do with her increasingly long list of honorifics.

Better yet: THE Sovereign Doctor Missus The Monarch. Two the's.

Was "The Sovereign" a title or a name? I know Force Majeure was in charge pre-Bowie, but I don't know if he was also "The Sovereign".

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I'm pretty sure "The Sovereign" was a title. We just never got the name of the shape shifter.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

prefect posted:

Was "The Sovereign" a title or a name? I know Force Majeure was in charge pre-Bowie, but I don't know if he was also "The Sovereign".

Dean was briefly the Sovereign, as was Phantom Limb (or at least he claimed to be).

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

AlternateNu posted:

I'm pretty sure "The Sovereign" was a title. We just never got the name of the shape shifter.

David Bowie.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Djarum posted:

Also Dark Horse is giving away copies of the Venture Home News at their booth.

*EDIT*

And here are two photos that have leaked out. Let the speculation begin!

Man I love high class 60s designs. Also, the Monarch is still living in the run down mansion.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

twistedmentat posted:

Man I love high class 60s designs. Also, the Monarch is still living in the run down mansion.

Well, to be fair, Fake Bowie blew up his sweet volcanic lair. I'm sure the guild's in the process of building her (and him) a new place.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Well, to be fair, Fake Bowie blew up his sweet volcanic lair. I'm sure the guild's in the process of building her (and him) a new place.

They have a sweet space station lair! That's so much better than a Volcano lair!

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I'm starting to read non-Venture quotes in Venture character voices. Is there help for me?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Dazerbeams posted:

I'm starting to read non-Venture quotes in Venture character voices. Is there help for me?

Nope.

My wife and I sometimes banter in Sergeant-Hatred-speak. And anytime one of us mentions that something is big, it's always followed by, "I'm a big BOY!"

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Oh snap, just learned a friend may have an extra NYCC badge this year. So drat pumped if I can make it to the Venture panel, especially if they had a full episode for SDCC.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

twistedmentat posted:

They have a sweet space station lair! That's so much better than a Volcano lair!

Except for the commute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delaio
Jul 14, 2012

tarlibone posted:

Nope.

My wife and I sometimes banter in Sergeant-Hatred-speak. And anytime one of us mentions that something is big, it's always followed by, "I'm a big BOY!"

"I'm gonna say it again, LUSH"

Every time I see a well maintained yard this goes through my head.