Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Last week the department head for our section of IT sent in a ticket about a conference room and using it. I thought it weird he sent in a ticket when a call/email would have been better, but whatever. I sent an email to him, listed solutions to his issues and asked him to email me back if he had any more questions.

I hadn't heard back from him, so I closed the ticket with a note that I emailed him, but didn't get a response.

About an hour later, I get an email forwarded from my boss. It was an email from the department head responding to my email, but he sent it to my boss instead. The email body was him replying to me, just he didn't send it to me. I guess us peons aren't worth directly talking to.

Honestly he has treated our group incredibly strange since taking over as head of the department. He has never introduced himself to any of us, has never met with us, has never even sent an email acknowledging our existence. I get that we aren't in the same town, but of the 2 times he's visited, the first he never even talked to us, just our boss. The next time, he sat in one of our empty cubes, but was always on the phone and didn't say anything to us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Sounds like a clear case of the Better Than You's.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sirotan posted:

poo poo that doesn't piss me off: At work I put a lot of purchases on my personal credit cards, then submit expense reports at the end of the month. They never gave me a company card, my bosses have all been cool with it, Finance is cool with it. The last couple of months have been a bit crazy, as we're ramping up for the launch of a new EHR system my expense reports have been creeping higher and higher. This month's was over $8500. Yeah, that is kinda insane, and potentially a really stupid thing to be doing, I know I know. But you better believe I am leveraging the gently caress out of it. This just came today:

:agesilaus:

All of those Ebay purchases were also put on a card with 1.5% cash back. Plus I pull in about $200/mo in Amazon rewards points. Just signed up for the Amazon Store Card which gives a 5% cash back (vs 3% on the Visa) so I'll be raking in even more soon, awww yissss.

Just out of curiosity: is income like that taxable there (I know it is here in Finland)?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I really can't stand Chrome or Firefox blocking sites. Firefox is blocking a vendor site for some reason (top 5 retail chain in the USA)

OMG MY COMPUTER IS BEING ATTACKED

No it's not. Firefox is being a oval office.

OMG WHAT SHOULD I DO

Just click ignore and quit calling me

ITS DOING ON EVERY COMPUTER ARE WE GETTING HACKED

No. It's just Firefox. Use IE and it won't give you that message.

I'm short 2 people today so it's just me. Going to start drinking in a little bit.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Alternatively web people could just stop being idiots and make sure their SSL certs are valid so the browsers don't have reason to complain.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Bob Morales posted:

I really can't stand Chrome or Firefox blocking sites. Firefox is blocking a vendor site for some reason (top 5 retail chain in the USA)

OMG WHAT SHOULD I DO

I'm short 2 people today so it's just me. Going to start drinking in a little bit.

Yea even IE will do that if you're using reasonable security settings. That's definitely in the "Feature, not a bug" category.

(Crossposting from AI because relevant: )

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
Pissing me off:

Having to fix up a lovely printer without a screen, IP settings on hand, or any way to get into the web interface.

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

OMG WHAT SHOULD I DO

You should probably figure out what the "some reason" is and work around it, because you're training these folks to get phished if you teach them "just click ignore and quit calling me when you see weird cert errors."

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Bob Morales posted:

OMG WHAT SHOULD I DO

Can you install the self-signed cert from that vendor site, at least?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

It's actually a 'THIS SITE IS HOSTING MALWARE' issue

https://www.servicechannel.com

I just have to re-explain that the vendor needs to 'fix' the site over and over and over

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

"My old laptop let me use my headphones and my speakers at the same time"

I'm going home.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Bob Morales posted:

"My old laptop let me use my headphones and my speakers at the same time"

I'm going home.

I hate this limitation of Vista and later. On XP, you could output to multiple sound devices from the same source. It was easy enough to simply turn off the device you weren't using. Now you have to switch the default device in windows. It's most annoying when you mainly use your desktop PC and monitors, but also run hdmi to a home theater. Many programs don't have a setting for which output device they use.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Daylen Drazzi posted:

They have me by the balls on that - my rent is paid on the 1st automatically.

You must be able to turn this off.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
poo poo pissing me the gently caress off. Company health insurance is now a 5K Deductable for a single person. What in the ever loving gently caress!?

I mean seriously, we're a multinational MSP with more than 50 million in revenue, posting record profits and they can't negotiate a better rate, gently caress you gently caress YOU VERY MUCH! I got better insurance working for loving Shoprite thank you.

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 8, 2015

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Boogalo posted:

I hate this limitation of Vista and later. On XP, you could output to multiple sound devices from the same source. It was easy enough to simply turn off the device you weren't using. Now you have to switch the default device in windows. It's most annoying when you mainly use your desktop PC and monitors, but also run hdmi to a home theater. Many programs don't have a setting for which output device they use.

https://code.google.com/p/audioswitch/

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

poo poo pissing me the gently caress off. Company health insurance is now a 5K Deductable for a single person. What in the ever loving gently caress!?

I mean seriously, we're a multinational MSP with more than 50 million in revenue, posting record profits and they can't negotiate a better rate, gently caress you gently caress YOU VERY MUCH! I got better insurance working for loving Shoprite thank you.

That's not necessarily bad if they include a health savings account with a company contribution. If not than that definitely sucks. I've been there. Had major surgery with a 5K deductable and got hit even harder with poo poo my insurance didnt cover like physical therapy. I'm just now about done paying off everything 4 years later.

If they did offer an HSA though thats awesome! It can be used as an additional tax advantaged retirement savings.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

BaseballPCHiker posted:

That's not necessarily bad if they include a health savings account with a company contribution. If not than that definitely sucks. I've been there. Had major surgery with a 5K deductable and got hit even harder with poo poo my insurance didnt cover like physical therapy. I'm just now about done paying off everything 4 years later.

If they did offer an HSA though thats awesome! It can be used as an additional tax advantaged retirement savings.

Yeah, high deductible plans like that usually don't require much of an initial investment. Dump the rest of the money you would normally use in your health insurance into the HSA and you'll cover the deductible pretty quickly. Anything over that is gravy that you dump into things like new glasses or dental work.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

If you're only $50M in revenue, then you likely have fewer than 500 employees. So, no, you can't negotiate a good rate: your company's risk pool is too small. Companies really need to provide a risk pool of at least 1000 subscribers--probably averaging 2000 members--to get a decent rate, and even then the location and demographics of such a small group can have a large impact.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

They did negotiate a better rate, to the premiums they have to kick in.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
or they just didnt really care

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

poo poo pissing me the gently caress off. Company health insurance is now a 5K Deductable for a single person. What in the ever loving gently caress!

HDCP's or whatever suck.

I had paid $2500 out of pocket for MRI's and crap then to make it worse the only surgeon I could get was out of network so they only covered 60% of a $14,000 surgery. I got LASIK a few months earlier so I spent like $15,000 fixing my stupid body.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Ynglaur posted:

If you're only $50M in revenue, then you likely have fewer than 500 employees. So, no, you can't negotiate a good rate: your company's risk pool is too small. Companies really need to provide a risk pool of at least 1000 subscribers--probably averaging 2000 members--to get a decent rate, and even then the location and demographics of such a small group can have a large impact.

It used to be $1000 for a single person with half contributed by the company. The company still contributes $500, we're left holding the bag on the rest.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Volmarias posted:

MJP: If you still need an ear to bitch into next week, PM and we can figure something out.

It's at the point where goon help, while always welcome, is effective in helping me claw out of the well but I am going to have to push for FMLA.

I literally cannot continue in this job. It's become poison. Even if magic happens and a helpdesk guy emerges from the ether, competent and fully trained, I don't know if I could stick around.

Before this turns e/n suffice to say I recognized some time ago this is a well, and I've been on the job hunt, but surprisingly there isn't much even for a lateral move after I've already applied to everything. It's been a week or two since my last Dice/Monster crawl, and to be honest, I kinda hope they catch me looking elsewhere. Maybe they'll terminate me for no cause and I can claim UI, then have more time to interview.

Dead serious, if I can't make an FMLA case I may just consider a negotiated exit. I have enough savings to exist for 4-5ish months and liquid assets that could theoretically last a year or more beyond that, and family that would help if it came to it. If I leave suddenly, the IT department is down to one person - my manager - who is constantly busy with EDI and application projects to do helpdesk. He has two consultants, one of which could cover tickets and stuff, but nowhere near with the response time and at a huge hourly cost. It'll reflect poorly on him if I leave, and his existing helpdesk guy was termed for not improving lovely performance back in April.

Maybe if the FMLA gambit fails, I'll see what I can do to research how to negotiate an exit. I give them a month or two so they can hire and I can train, maybe I can ask a severance, or at the very minimum, they don't contest UI.

If nothing else, I've passed the point of caring. I'm not pursuing info in tickets anymore, I closed a few today when some other gomer opened on their behalf with "please see X for details." I've told my boss that I cannot make any progress on the ongoing thin client issue and it requires escalation, or at least a stop to tickets.

Yesterday was an awful, awful day where I literally threw my S5 over my shoulder, and the tough-rear end case didn't help. $175 deductible, woo.

Sorry for the e/n. I hope this is at least content enough. It sure is poo poo that's pissing me off! :hurr:

Ynglaur posted:

I worked for an MSP that had around I think 20 employees. We had lovely, lovely health insurance with a pretty gigantic deductible for families. I'm at a company with 70 now and it's a $1500 per person, $3000 per family deductible. We have lower premiums too. I have no clue how variation like that happens.

I guess they want to protest Obamacare or something?

MJP fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 8, 2015

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

My greatest skill is being able to laugh at bad political jokes.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Daylen Drazzi posted:

They have me by the balls on that - my rent is paid on the 1st automatically. I'm going to go bitch just to see what they do. Plus my lease is up in August so I have a little leverage. This is definitely not impressing me enough to re-up for another six to twelve months.

State by State it differs, but a simple call to your bank/credit card company can stop the auto-deduction pretty easily. Most states have it where can withhold your rent payment until something is repaired, or you can pay for it and deduct that amount from your rent.

Check over your lease first of course. I'd also toss the management a certified letter stating the times you have attempted to contact them to repair the AC, and if you do not hear back from them by xx date, you will be calling an AC repair yourself and billing them/deducting it from your rent.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I have to say, that's the one thing my company is really doing right. We're less than 200 employees, I don't pay ANYTHING for my health insurance, and the plan has zero deductibles. It's pretty much all $25 copays and $100 to visit the emergency room.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

bull3964 posted:

I have to say, that's the one thing my company is really doing right. We're less than 200 employees, I don't pay ANYTHING for my health insurance, and the plan has zero deductibles. It's pretty much all $25 copays and $100 to visit the emergency room.

You don't pay anything but you do pay? (Foreign healthcare stuff is completely... foreign to me.)

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

You don't pay anything but you do pay? (Foreign healthcare stuff is completely... foreign to me.)

He doesn't have deductions taken from his check for the insurance, the company covers the premium. He has copays when he goes to the doctor's office.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

bull3964 posted:

I probably already had a meltdown in this thread, but the company I work for baited me with the free healthcare stuff, and then got rid of it the two weeks after I took the job.

I don't know why I didn't gently caress right off that very second. I'm in too deep now.

We're way less than 200 employees. They blamed it on the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act making it prohibitively expensive. Thanks a lot, Obama.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Mogomra posted:

I probably already had a meltdown in this thread, but the company I work for baited me with the free healthcare stuff, and then got rid of it the two weeks after I took the job.

I don't know why I didn't gently caress right off that very second. I'm in too deep now.

We're way less than 200 employees. They blamed it on the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act making it prohibitively expensive. Thanks a lot, Obama.

Well, I've been here 7 years and the health insurance has actually gotten better over time (the most recent was after the ACA took effect.)

My sister actually works for the hospital network that provides our coverage and I have a better plan than her.

Of course, this is all completely lost on me as I've had occasion to use my plan exactly once since I've been here, but that's besides the point.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Man I use the poo poo out of my insurance, which is great, because I keep accumulating chronic conditions. Started with Type 1 diabetes, now I'm diagnosted with ADHD, might have a sleep disorder...

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

FISHMANPET posted:

Man I use the poo poo out of my insurance, which is great, because I keep accumulating chronic conditions. Started with Type 1 diabetes, now I'm diagnosted with ADHD, might have a sleep disorder...

As someone who has ADHD/Sleep disorder, these two almost always coexist. One is probably causing the other.
Go to a doctor that had good reviews and specializes in ADHD. My new doctor is helping me with my sleep issues instead of throwing pills at me, and I feel even better than when I started my meds.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

poo poo not pissing me off: went back to my private number outside of work, no more checking mail or getting work calls outside of working hours. :toot:

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Koskun posted:

State by State it differs, but a simple call to your bank/credit card company can stop the auto-deduction pretty easily. Most states have it where can withhold your rent payment until something is repaired, or you can pay for it and deduct that amount from your rent.

Check over your lease first of course. I'd also toss the management a certified letter stating the times you have attempted to contact them to repair the AC, and if you do not hear back from them by xx date, you will be calling an AC repair yourself and billing them/deducting it from your rent.

I am pleased to say that when I called the office up this morning they were really apologetic and made the maintenance manager promise that it would be fixed by the time I got home today. And it was. Walked in the door to a pleasant 72 degrees.

I only said they had me by the balls because they already had my month's payment, and next month is the last month of my lease (unless I choose to re-up). It's not been totally unpleasant living here - I hated the toilet in my apartment and asked if they would install one of my choice, and they did. Maintenance guy stated that my toilet was by far the best model in the entire complex. My apartment is fine enough but it sometimes feels a little cramped, so this weekend I'm going to stop in and see if one of the 2-bedroom models with a much bigger kitchen is available. I can wait until a 1st floor model comes along, but in the meantime I'll be putting in my application for another apartment complex, and whoever gets me what I want first wins my business.

** EDIT **

Turns out the AC needed charging, which is why it was running for so drat long and never seemed to be cooling the place. Just had the AC kick on 5 minutes ago and it cooled the place down nicely and shut off quickly. Hopefully that will take a bite out of the electricity bill next month.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

MJP posted:

It'll reflect poorly on him if I leave, and his existing helpdesk guy was termed for not improving lovely performance back in April.

I understand your perspective and your desire to be loyal to your colleague, but this is 100% Not Your Problem.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

MJP posted:

I worked for an MSP that had around I think 20 employees. We had lovely, lovely health insurance with a pretty gigantic deductible for families. I'm at a company with 70 now and it's a $1500 per person, $3000 per family deductible. We have lower premiums too. I have no clue how variation like that happens.

I guess they want to protest Obamacare or something?
Apologies if i came across like an rear end. Having that large a swing is definitely odd, even in a market like SMB with sharply rising premiums.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Well, let me know if you change your mind. I thought you were applying for a place near Penn station?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Reminds me of my multinational MSP. They'll send emails about how they beat all their targets, and then a week later tell us they can't afford raises (which was 2% last time) and make the bonus contingent on the performance of the entire company, making anything any single person or even account does completely irrelevant.

Healthcare in this country is a joke and this is going to keep happening until we stop with this insurance company nonsense. Did shoprite have a union?

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

Just out of curiosity: is income like that taxable there (I know it is here in Finland)?
Generally the IRS views things like this and credit card miles as a discount so it is non taxable. If it was a $500 bonus for signing up for a checking account it would be taxable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Jackass sent an email to an external party saying if they need help they can contact Stripe at such and such number. Yeah how about you tell them to email me not call me and also that's my personal cell phone number, way to double down idiot.

I'm not terribly put out because I pretty much don't answer numbers I don't recognize at this point. I spend half my day on the phone, why add to my misery by answering other calls. Guy with a Georgia area code called me twice in quick succession today - hmm, that must have been important. Not so important that he left a message though, so I'll sleep fine tonight.