Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
That's the beginner rules, advanced rules have you mix all 9 modules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

silvergoose posted:

By the way, the ultimate in choose-your-own-ruleset, even more than Tuscany, is the upcoming 504, which is 9 different rulesets, of which you pick three randomly (or choose them I suppose) and that forms the game you play that time.

Hasn't this game been brought up before? It sounds like something I'd love, regardless of quality, but I'm hoping it's actually good.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

OmegaGoo posted:

Hasn't this game been brought up before? It sounds like something I'd love, regardless of quality, but I'm hoping it's actually good.

I've mentioned it before, but in a mostly negative way. The concept is certainly clever, and I'm sure that lots of $/# gamers will love this simply for the value, but there's something about a game that's literally "box-of-themeless-mechanics" that just doesn't appeal to me at all.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Fake Artist Goes to New York does Spyfall better.

Hell yes i totally ordered like 2 of them.

I've also had fun playing Linq in the past. Similar, but backwards, Linq has 2 cards with the same word on it and the rest of the players get a blank. There's 2 rounds where each player can say one single word. At the end of the 2 rounds, players write their guesses for who the players with word cards are. The two players who were dealt the word get points if they both find each other. Everyone else gets points if they identify the two linked players. So imagine the bizarre wordplay into getting your point to one other player but no one else.

The print version was fiddly since you have this deck of word cards where every two cards MUST stay together so god help you if you drop it or a "helpful" friend starts shuffling before you start playing. Luckily, a dry-erase variant that eliminates the deck was posted on the geek which adds a spymaster who writes the word and gets points with the spies. Fake Artist has all the materials to play that variant so :dance:.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

OmegaGoo posted:

I'll probably buy it for the novelty. If the combination of modules actually churns out a decent game more often than not, that'll be a nice bonus. I know that's not going to be a popular sentiment, but sometimes I like to collect games just because they're loving weird.

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Wow that really does look a lot better than Spyfall. Japan wins again.

Scyther fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 8, 2015

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Oldstench posted:

I've mentioned it before, but in a mostly negative way. The concept is certainly clever, and I'm sure that lots of $/# gamers will love this simply for the value, but there's something about a game that's literally "box-of-themeless-mechanics" that just doesn't appeal to me at all.

The third ingredient of every ruleset is a theme!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Carcassonne is on Amazon for only $24

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NX627HW/

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Scyther posted:

I'll probably buy it for the novelty. If the combination of modules actually churns out a decent game more often than not, that'll be a nice bonus. I know that's not going to be a popular sentiment, but sometimes I like to collect games just because they're loving weird.

Same :allears:

I love seeing the different directions different designers take to solve different problems. Some of then work out wonderfully, some of them not so much, but I love the whole discovery of it all.

America Rocks
Mar 23, 2007
Re: Spyfall

This game was confusing as hell at first. I honestly could not figure out what kinds of questions we should be asking. We had not - spies asking questions that tried to "trick" spies into guessing the wrong location (e.g., "can you smell the salt breeze from here?" on the Train location), only to immediately have the table accuse them of being the spy and barely survive execution.. Then again, I was the spy that round, and a few minutes later, I revealed and guessed Ocean Liner, losing the game - so was that question the right play?

The current meta that we've evolved after ~10 games is to give questions/answers that are very specific to your role, but not to the location. Some of the roles are very location specific (Ambassador in the Embassy), some of them could be almost anywhere (Tourist at the Embassy could be Tourist at the Beach, at the Ocean Liner, at the Carnival, etc.) And some are just bizarre (Role-playing Gamer at the Carnival?)

It's usually easy to answer questions in character without giving away many location hints, unless you have a very location - specific role. But the Spy is forced to make up a role without knowing if it will make any sense for the location. In our last game, the Spy basically role played a security guard. Pretty generic, fits well into most locations, and we happened to be at the Bank, so it fit. The only problem was that another player already had the actual role of security guard. The Spy managed to be more convincing than the actual guard himself for most of the game, although town guessed him out on the very last possible vote.

All in all, very enjoyable game. It provides an easy jumpstart for jokes and light social role playing that you don't get so much with Resistance or ONUW. It also breaks us out of my personal hell of playing 5+ hour sessions of Eldritch Horror.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
What type of questions in Spyfall should you be asking?

"Can you see the sky?"
"What's your favorite color?"
"What are you wearing?"
"How long have you been here?"
"What's up?"

America Rocks
Mar 23, 2007
Someone describe the Fake Artist game to me again. Sounded like Drawful, which is a 2-8 player party game made by the creators of You Don't Know Jack. You draw on your smartphone and it shows up on the TV, everyone puts in fake answers for what you drew and you try to guess the real one.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

America Rocks posted:

Someone describe the Fake Artist game to me again. Sounded like Drawful, which is a 2-8 player party game made by the creators of You Don't Know Jack. You draw on your smartphone and it shows up on the TV, everyone puts in fake answers for what you drew and you try to guess the real one.

Oldstench posted:

Played A Fake Artist Goes to New York with 7 the other night. It's basically a mixture of Spyfall and Pictionary. The quizmaster comes up with a word and writes it on the back of little dry erase cards. On one of them he instead puts an X. He gives the tiles to the players, the "fake artist" being the player with the X tile. Each player then takes a pen in their own color. A pad of paper goes around the table twice. Each artist adds a single line to the pad and then passes it. The key is that the real artists have to try to draw what the word is in such a way that they let the other real artists know they know the word without giving the word away to the fake artist. The fake artist tries to bluff her way through. Once the pad has gone around twice, everyone looks at the drawing and then simultaneously point at the person they think is the fake artist.

If the fake artist is chosen by the majority, she gets a chance to guess the word. If she guesses, or if the majority don't select her, both she and the quizmaster score. Otherwise, the artists score. A new person is selected as quizmaster and the game continues. It's really fun and works well with a medium to large group.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

OmegaGoo posted:

"Can you see the sky?"
"What are you wearing?"
"What's up?"

As it mentions in the rule book, one of the biggest recommendations is to avoid yes/no questions. They're usually too vague, wherein no matter which way the person question answered it can cast doubt on them and/or not really give you any sense of their location knowledge, and in the case of asking the spy such a question, they have 50/50 chance to just get lucky and say the right thing. You want to really try to frame questions in a way that requires the person to actually provide some amount of detail; how much is of course up to them.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

OmegaGoo posted:

"Can you see the sky?"
"What are you wearing?"
"What's up?"

I'm definitely doing "What are you wearing?" and possibly "Come here often?" with creepy voices when I get to play this...

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Couldn't agree more. Also you can make a copy of Fake Artist Goes to New York for like 5 bux.

America Rocks
Mar 23, 2007

BonHair posted:

I'm definitely doing "What are you wearing?" and possibly "Come here often?" with creepy voices when I get to play this...

This is what I asked when we got the Nightclub and I drew the Pick-up Artist role.

America Rocks
Mar 23, 2007
For Fake Artist, are there any restrictions on what words the quiz master can pick? If you picked some vague concept, like "friendship", that's hard to draw, it seems like every artist would have their own idea on how to draw it and it would be easy for the Fake Artist to blend in. Then they both get points.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

So I received MTG: Arena of the Planeswalkers yesterday. As it's been mentioned, it is Heroscape 1.5/2.0. I am using my tiles from HS for it tonight and they fit perfectly.

America Rocks
Mar 23, 2007

OmegaGoo posted:

"Can you see the sky?"
"What are you wearing?"
"What's up?"

I like questions that make people describe their roles, while not necessarily referencing the location. So "what are you wearing?" might be a pretty good question, actually. "Just my work clothes" would be my default spy response, because every location has some roles that could be described as "people who work here". But that's some pretty vague poo poo. If you have a real role, you can easily think of something more speci
fic.

The rulebook gives these absolutely absurd examples of questions and answers, by the way. The first question is "what sea did we bathe in last night?", to which the answer is supposed to be "the Mediterranean", because the location is Crusader Camp. The problem is, this is literally the only location in the game that has a specific geography associated with it. If the spy is paying attention, he should pick up on that right away. Something like "I don't bathe" would be a better answer, in my opinion, since it still fits with crusader theme but not obviously.

Then the next question, "what did we have for dinner last night?" is answered with "just the usual, meat and potatoes". This is supposed to reveal the spy because potatoes didn't come to Europe before the Columbian Exchange. While this is true and somewhat clever, there's about a 0% chance that my group would pick up on this being a "mistake".

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

America Rocks posted:

For Fake Artist, are there any restrictions on what words the quiz master can pick? If you picked some vague concept, like "friendship", that's hard to draw, it seems like every artist would have their own idea on how to draw it and it would be easy for the Fake Artist to blend in. Then they both get points.

Whats the category you would say it was?

America Rocks
Mar 23, 2007

Cerepol posted:

Whats the category you would say it was?

If there's a part about picking a category, I missed it - I just read "the quiz master picks a word". I'm just going off Oldstench's description, haven't seen the rules. But yeah, seems like if there was a rule that said "must draw a person, place or thing", that would make a difference. It's harder to draw "friendship" than to draw "ice cream cone".

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

America Rocks posted:

The rulebook gives these absolutely absurd examples of questions and answers, by the way. The first question is "what sea did we bathe in last night?", to which the answer is supposed to be "the Mediterranean", because the location is Crusader Camp. The problem is, this is literally the only location in the game that has a specific geography associated with it. If the spy is paying attention, he should pick up on that right away. Something like "I don't bathe" would be a better answer, in my opinion, since it still fits with crusader theme but not obviously.

Then the next question, "what did we have for dinner last night?" is answered with "just the usual, meat and potatoes". This is supposed to reveal the spy because potatoes didn't come to Europe before the Columbian Exchange. While this is true and somewhat clever, there's about a 0% chance that my group would pick up on this being a "mistake".

Yeah, when the guy explaining the rules read that passage out-loud to the table the general response was "oh yeah, no totally, everybody remembers when potatoes came to Europe obviously." I suppose with a bit of a stretch you could say that the Mediterranean Sea bit might count for the Pirate Ship or even the Cruise Ship, I can see some groups following a bit of a bent train of logic there.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

What're the thread's thoughts on Lancaster?

I vaguely recall someone saying it's "a better Game of Thones than Game of Thones" and after reading the rules I can see some of the similarities.

I also have The New Laws expansion, I'm assuming I should play the base game a few times first?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Lancaster is pretty much a bidding worker placement game with a few variations. I don't really see the Game of Thrones comparison, at all, apart from the fact that it's about medieval knights.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
The best Axis&Allies-like right now is Kemet, right? People on BGG said Nexus Ops but I want to hear your opinions.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Oldstench posted:

Do you like abstracts at all?

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

America Rocks posted:

If there's a part about picking a category, I missed it - I just read "the quiz master picks a word". I'm just going off Oldstench's description, haven't seen the rules. But yeah, seems like if there was a rule that said "must draw a person, place or thing", that would make a difference. It's harder to draw "friendship" than to draw "ice cream cone".

In the english rules on BGG the example they used was he gave people the card "Lion" and said the Category was Animals. I guess you could do Friendship with a category of concepts. Though your other players might hate you.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Just a reminder that if you enjoy Warhammer Disk Wars in any way, the game and it's expansions will probably disappear soon since GW is remaking that entire setting.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

The legends are true. This is what a 1000 lbs looks like in board game form:

Trip report to follow later this week. Anyone have any recommendations who have played Cthulhu Wars for first timers?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

silvergoose posted:

Do you like abstracts at all?

I love them, but that's not what this is being presented as.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Megasabin posted:

Just a reminder that if you enjoy Warhammer Disk Wars in any way, the game and it's expansions will probably disappear soon since GW is remaking that entire setting.

Everyone do not listen to this warning, do not buy old products there is a new revision coming! I have insider info, I taped this video during the super secret Warhammer Diskwars: Age of Sigmar alpha test. They want to "shake things up" in the world of disk based wargaming and have invented some great new "kinetic" game mechanics that really make this new version better than any Warhammer that has come before it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKbhUegP2Mo

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 8, 2015

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I doubt they will do anything to Diskwars (unlike the LCG, RIP Invasion) because it's sitting on the same odd spot as the new Creative Assembly (of Total War fame) game - they either go all in with this poo poo or play it safe and hope whoever doesn't like the new poo poo will just stick to the stuff that refers to the old setting.

At the same time, we're talking about GW.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Scyther posted:

yeah same here. i'mn all for designers doing just really weird poo poo, sometimes it turns out something cool and unique

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Azran posted:

I doubt they will do anything to Diskwars (unlike the LCG, RIP Invasion) because it's sitting on the same odd spot as the new Creative Assembly (of Total War fame) game - they either go all in with this poo poo or play it safe and hope whoever doesn't like the new poo poo will just stick to the stuff that refers to the old setting.

At the same time, we're talking about GW.

They've gone all in!

For context, that statue is outside GW's HQ and has replaced the space marine statue, the iconic model that GW used to become the lumbering behemoth in the miniatures industry. Rumours say they're going to push this game at cons etc, and they've thrown away Warhammer, so they've staked a huge amount on the single worst rule set I've ever seen.

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 8, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rutibex posted:

Everyone do not listen to this warning, do not buy old products there is a new revision coming! I have insider info, I taped this video during the super secret Warhammer Diskwars: Age of Sigmar alpha test. They want to "shake things up" in the world of disk based wargaming and have invented some great new "kinetic" game mechanics that really make this new version better than any Warhammer that has come before it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKbhUegP2Mo

I was expecting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCwn1NTK-50

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Azran posted:

The best Axis&Allies-like right now is Kemet, right? People on BGG said Nexus Ops but I want to hear your opinions.

Yes. Actively rewards attacking. Plays well with 2 - 5. Great production value. Low randomness.

Alternatively, Chaos in the Old World is almost as good, but less straight up armies smashing each other on the map, more sticking and poking, while staying out of the way of the Khorne bulldozer.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Anyone have any recommendations who have played Cthulhu Wars for first timers?

Combat is incredibly nonlethal for the most part, since only 6's kill, and anything besides a GOO will have dick all for combat dice. It's not a bad way to fight for a Gate, though, but it may just be more economical to build your own gate. Unless you are Hastur, killing a GOO is not exactly an easy thing to do. However, once you get unlimited combat with 6 spellbooks, the game turns into a bit of a brawl, but at that point there should only be 1-2 more rounds of game. In our experience, Shub Niggurath will set the game clock, since she A) has ludicrous defensive capabilities with the cultists get +1 combat die ability and B) gets a free elder sign token every round with a spellbook at the low low cost of 1 cultist.

Monsters with 0 combat are great in the early game to either capture or protect Cultists. Also, make sure there's a monster with your Cultists, or else a player will gobble them the gently caress up then use the surge in Power to summon their GOO.

Even having 2 gates is a pretty solid number to do a Ritual of Annihiliation. 3+ is a no brainer.

There's some mild errata, especially in regards to Shub Niggurath, so look that up on the site.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Anyone have any recommendations who have played Cthulhu Wars for first timers?

The rulebook has excellent tips on playing the factions right after the actual rules. Pro read for first time players.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Azran posted:

Kemet is well-regarded but I don't really see how it is a A&A-like. That would make me think of something more like Quartermaster General.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Yeah, sorry, when I say "A&A-like" I basically mean a good, modern Risk that doesn't suck :v: Take control of a big map by crushing your friends.