Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delayed Reaction
Mar 18, 2009

I am known as the Queen of Delayed Reactions for a reason, heh.

Bottom Liner posted:

We went through something similar, my wife had her interview on Fri and had to start on Monday, so we had to find an apartment, high tail it back to SC and load up, and move in all over the weekend. It was crazy stressful, but we found a good place we're happy with and it was all worth it. If you need any apartment referrals or help with anything else just ask when the time comes.

Oh my goodness, surely they'd give me a little more time to move from Alabama! Eek!! Thank you, if that happens I will most definitely hit you up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Break a leg and be yourself! You mentioned you put in for Attractions, and I might be a little biased, but I feel that attractions are the best gigs. I get to work at Haunted Mansion and call it an actual job. Holy moly that's cool.

Also: I finally found a place to live, so it looks like I am here to stay, Floridian Disney Nerds. I can now join in on demons bitching about fireworks as I live behind magic kingdom and can hear them clear as a bell from my room.

Delayed Reaction
Mar 18, 2009

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Break a leg and be yourself! You mentioned you put in for Attractions, and I might be a little biased, but I feel that attractions are the best gigs. I get to work at Haunted Mansion and call it an actual job. Holy moly that's cool.

Also: I finally found a place to live, so it looks like I am here to stay, Floridian Disney Nerds. I can now join in on demons bitching about fireworks as I live behind magic kingdom and can hear them clear as a bell from my room.

Thanks! I'd love to get Attractions! I'll be at the Haunted Mansion next Friday and Saturday. I bet you love working there, that's so cool and awesome and amazing! I'll try not to run around hollering Stairs!! ha!

Congrats on finding a place, and so close! That's spectacular :)

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Just make sure anything you hang on the wall is bolted securely. Don't get a cat or dog because there is a 50/50 chance they will be scared of the sound of the fireworks and you will have issues with them peeing on your floor. *hint I have a dog with this problem*

Delayed Reaction
Mar 18, 2009

Did anyone see this in person? It's a safe link. I tried to just save the pix but I couldn't. It's an awesome lightning display over Cinderella Castle from Friday I think. Really cool looking! I'd loved to have been there!

http://nbcchi.com/Cc88Rix

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Delayed Reaction posted:

Did anyone see this in person? It's a safe link. I tried to just save the pix but I couldn't. It's an awesome lightning display over Cinderella Castle from Friday I think. Really cool looking! I'd loved to have been there!

http://nbcchi.com/Cc88Rix

I can honestly say I sat through the entire lightning ordeal. It was pretty surreal. We had the most perfect viewing spot on the hub for the fireworks and we weren't going to give it up for anything. So my wife and I, and about 6 off-duty CMs all put out ponchos on and just sat there toughing it out. We ended up having a pretty awesome time.

The lightning you see in the video was right near the end of it. The really crazy poo poo was at around 8 - 8:15 pm, about an hour earlier.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

We were eating in the Diamond Horseshoe Saloon. I told my family we were missing a great light show.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I watched the storm and fireworks from our balcony. It was like a drat hurricane here.

Just watched tonight's fireworks from the beach at the Polynesian, pretty insane display! The boats lighting up in sync with the music was amazing. I'll post a few pics later.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Here's the pics, absolutely the best fireworks display I've ever seen. You can make out Cinderella's castle in the very middle bottom of the frame, that's how massive these were!

DSC_0011 by David Childers, on Flickr

DSC_0019 by David Childers, on Flickr

Delayed Reaction
Mar 18, 2009

Thanks for sharing your lightning stories!! Sounds so cool to have been there :)

Bottom Liner, your photos are spectacular!! Thanks for sharing :)

OMG you all, I'm going to Disney World in 4 days!! It's finally sinking in and I'm starting to get really excited. I can taste the Dole Whip now :)

Delayed Reaction fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 5, 2015

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I AM GOING TO DISNEY WORLD! Just got the heads up that my days off from world are approved. Now the planning begins! I'm so excited!!!!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Who has two thumbs, and got same-day reservations for Le Cellier?

This guy.

:dance:

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

72 days....feels like forever. A fairly reliable source on this stuff posted about what's happening to Hollywood Studios, including it's long rumored name change to "Hollywood Adventure." http://thisisinfamous.com/3-billion-allow-star-wars-pixar-and-indiana-jones-to-overhaul-disneys-hollywood-studios-exclusive/

I like it all. Only thing I can't see is Indiana Jones the ride going in...but I could be wrong. Also, if they really do finally announce an Illuminations replacement, I'll be kinda bummed.

Delayed Reaction
Mar 18, 2009

Anya posted:

I AM GOING TO DISNEY WORLD! Just got the heads up that my days off from world are approved. Now the planning begins! I'm so excited!!!!

YAY!!! I'm leaving Thursday morning and I could just die of excitement! I hope the wait goes fast for you and the vacation very long! And have a blast :)

MrYenko posted:

Who has two thumbs, and got same-day reservations for Le Cellier?

This guy.

:dance:
Wooohooooooo!!!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Tim Whatley posted:

A fairly reliable source

He's far from reliable and full of clickbait content.

Delayed Reaction
Mar 18, 2009

I've never been able to see Illuminations. Do i need to make sure not to miss it?

Edit: What about Fantasmic?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Delayed Reaction posted:

I've never been able to see Illuminations. Do i need to make sure not to miss it?

Edit: What about Fantasmic?
Illuminations is pretty great. Don't miss it if you like fireworks.

I thought Fantasmic was neat, but it's not really a must-see event for me.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Illuminations is good, but Fantasmic is amazing. Up there with Wishes (and the projection show before it).

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

He's far from reliable and full of clickbait content.

Dag. Bunch of legit sites picked it up which is the only reason I cared. Guess that's news now.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, he sprinkles in enough common knowledge to sound legit and then makes a lot of claims and sometimes gets lucky on things, but is notorious for posting incorrect "insider info".

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Bottom Liner posted:

Illuminations is good, but Fantasmic is amazing. Up there with Wishes (and the projection show before it).
Have they changed Fantasmic in the past 10 years or something? I remember it being a bunch of dumb characters on boats and some crappy fireworks.

I guess the dragon was cool...

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

They've updated a lot, yeah. The basic premise is the same but if someone hasn't seen it before they are in for a treat. Illuminations is a pretty weak show compared to Wishes, but Fantasmic is different enough to still be awesome.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

What's the difference between Disneyland and WDW anyway on Fantasmic? I know there's something and I can't remember what it is.

But I can apparently remember the entire script to the tiki room (I'm down a disney attractions youtube hole, grim grinning ghosts is playing, I'll be singing this for the next week)

Delayed Reaction
Mar 18, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

Illuminations is pretty great. Don't miss it if you like fireworks.

I thought Fantasmic was neat, but it's not really a must-see event for me.

Illuminations it is!! I love fireworks :) It's at Epcot correct?

Bottom Liner posted:

Illuminations is good, but Fantasmic is amazing. Up there with Wishes (and the projection show before it). Where is Fantasmic?

Uh Oh, I have some hard choices to make! I only have 2 nights in the World this time and I will absolutely not miss Wishes (which I haven't seen or MSEP--it's my very favorite memory ever between my son and I, and it happened during the MSEP <3 ). I wish so bad I could extend my trip by a few days. I just have to keep reminding myself that the only reason I'm getting to go is because of the interview.

OMG guys, I'm leaving in less than a day and a half!! I don't think I'm going to be able to sleep at all before. Any last minute advice or must see and dos since its been at least 15 years since I've been?

Delayed Reaction fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jul 8, 2015

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
The Disneyland version of Fant switches out the jungle scene for more of a jungle book one, including Kaa and King Louie. There's also no Pocahontas scene instead they use the sailing ship Columbia for Peter Pan. They also have an actual dragon instead of the WDW version which is just head and wings.

Generally folks think the California one is better. I enjoy them both and I think overall it's way less of a pain in the rear end to catch the WDW one now. Disneyland does fastpasses now so at least you don't need to scope out a spot three hours early.

I think Illuminations is the worst nighttime spectacular. It's just a regular fireworks show with a long boring part with the globe in the middle that they stop shooting fireworks off for a few minutes to make you watch. I'd take wishes and Fant any day.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

Delayed Reaction posted:

Illuminations it is!! I love fireworks :) It's at Epcot correct?

Uh Oh, I have some hard choices to make! I only have 2 nights in the World this time and I will absolutely not miss Wishes (which I haven't seen or MSEP--it's my very favorite memory ever between my son and I, and it happened during the MSEP <3 ). I wish so bad I could extend my trip by a few days. I just have to keep reminding myself that the only reason I'm getting to go is because of the interview.

Check show times. You may be able to do both Illuminations and Fantasmic in the same night (if you have park hoppers). I know when I was there a couple years ago in October it was possible. You hit the early Fantasmic, then when it's over just take the boat or walk over to Epcot and catch Illuminations.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I liked WDW's Fantasmic enough to buy the soundtrack when I saw it in 2001. I'll sometimes pull it out for a little shot of nostalgia.

Did they make changes to the overall show or something?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I love Fantasmic, but I'm also a huge Maleficent fan so the fact that she's there and turns into a badass dragon is kind of a draw for me.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
Personally, Fantasmic is good to see once. My wife and I both like Illuminations. I feel that it is the period to the statement that the world showcase was meant to be.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
I like Fantasmic and Illuminations more than Wishes :shrug:

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
It's no secret HS is going to get a new name, they just have not come out with it yet. Anyone who has been to the park recently knows of the closures not to mention what has already been made public i.e. the animation area closure and the entire backlot tours including Catastrophe Canyon also the American Idol show. Indy stunt show and Lights, Action, Motors closing is not a surprise I personally know someone who was a camera tech at AI who was given the option to move in advance of the closure and when they said "I'll take Indy!" he was gently told that was not a good idea so he said "Okay then how about Lights.." yeah, that might not be a good idea either and the manager spilled the beans sort of. Frozen summer garbage was moved to AI and it was going to be revamped but that was scrapped. It was in the back adjacent to Muppets in a theater that was being used for conventions but all that was completely scrapped and now there is a new area being built for it which leads to a really large swath of the park going to be overhauled for either Cars, Star Wars or... When we asked my in-law who knows much more than he wants to tell about Muppets going away he said with a robotic tone "I can neither confirm nor deny Muppets is no longer going to be part of the park."

PkerUNO
Dec 21, 2007

Ambitious but rubbish
I'm sorry but the best version of Fantastic is clearly Tokyo's. :colbert:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

In line for Haunted Mansion... Looking for goony motherfuckers.

Edit: fail.

MrYenko fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 9, 2015

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I really hated Fantasmic when I saw it the first time a couple years ago. I have no idea why I've never bothered checking it out again. I'll try to next time I'm there for a lengthy vacation.

Delayed Reaction
Mar 18, 2009

Happitoo posted:

Check show times. You may be able to do both Illuminations and Fantasmic in the same night (if you have park hoppers). I know when I was there a couple years ago in October it was possible. You hit the early Fantasmic, then when it's over just take the boat or walk over to Epcot and catch Illuminations.

Very cool idea, thank you! I'll check the showtimes. I only have 2 day park hoppers so I'll have to make some serious plans and possibly hard decisions. In fact, unless I just have to see Fantasmic or Illuminations, I'd be perfectly happy being in the MK both nights :) My first day is definitely MK and Epcot the 2nd. I may hop around to the studios and possibly Animal Kingdom for just a little bit. I'm going to be packing a LOT into those 2 days!

MrYenko posted:

In line for Haunted Mansion... Looking for goony motherfuckers.

Edit: fail.
I'll be doing the same thing Friday and Saturday ;)

I wish I had just one more night. I've never seen Wishes and definitely don't want to miss that. So now I have to somehow choose between Fantasmic and Illuminations. Or I may just go back to the MK the 2nd night as well. I have also got to catch the MSEP. My son and I had a very magical night once during the MSEP. It's my all time favorite Disney memory. Some very specail things happened and now he's 24, married and in Grad School and I want to watch it from the same place and remember what a very special time it was for us <3

OMG!!! I'm leaving in 4 hours and I'm not done cleaning, packing, getting my in car bags together! I'll have it all done and I can sleep some on the way. I'm so so so excited!!

Delayed Reaction
Mar 18, 2009

I'm sorry, I have no idea how I posted that twice or how to get rid of it. I tried a couple times and I think my laptop is dying. (Maybe I got rid of it this time)

But, I'm leaving for Disney World in 40 minutes :) :) :) Unfortunately I couldn't find the interview outfit I wanted in the wasteland that is my closet, but I think I will be fine. So excited!

Delayed Reaction fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jul 9, 2015

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Make sure you see the projection show on the castle before Wishes as well, it's my favorite part of any nighttime spectacular. It's 15 minutes before wishes.

Delayed Reaction
Mar 18, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Make sure you see the projection show on the castle before Wishes as well, it's my favorite part of any nighttime spectacular. It's 15 minutes before wishes.

Thank you!! I want to see that so bad so I will make sure to get there early. I can not believe I am about to road trip to Disney World. It still has not sunk in yet. And I'm SO upset I can't get the Awful App (or any app) on my iPhone because they said I owe them money (I don't) Grrr!

Edit: I wanted to be able to update you all :(

Delayed Reaction fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jul 9, 2015

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Is the projection show still doing Frozen or did they update it to Big Hero 6?

I loved what they did for the others. When Tangled was out, Rapunzel pops her head out of a window and her hair falls all the way down the castle. When Wreck-it Ralph was out the castle turned to brick and Ralph smashed it down. Frozen, Elsa turns the castle to ice.

Honestly the projection show might be more of a highlight than the fireworks afterwards

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jul 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The projection show is a mix of movies but Frozen is a big part.

With the park on extended summer hours sometimes the Wishes fireworks are later so theoretically you could watch Illuminations which starts at 9 and haul rear end back to MK in time for Wishes if the monorail / Disney bus gods shine down upon you.