Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Poetic Justice posted:

"Have you seen Ciri? I'm looking for Ciri. She is a Hero card with 15 strength."

no, but here's yet another 5 strength melee card you will never use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I went for Yen instead of Triss because Triss' whole "Not going to tell the amnesiac that he's actually in love with a different sorceress" thing is kind of gross.

I mean, wishing for someone to love you is also pretty gross but I didn't have a say in that.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Palpek posted:

I also think that people being over a hundred years old (both Geralt and Yen) act differently in relationships. I can imagine Geralt putting up with Yen's impulsive side if only because she's the only one doing something to an old Casanova like him who has seen every trick in the book a thousand times instead of settiling for a cozy wife for the next few decades.

This is actually my favorite thing about the Witcher. It's "adult", not just in the sense that it's rated mature and has blood and tits. Its characters are all adults, and the game isn't horribly exploitative. There's lots of situations where you meet characters you want to just kill on the spot. The game doesn't let you, because it's no the type of game. Geralt is a adult who doesn't just murder people he doesn't like on the spot, and killing a baron or an emperor has wide reaching consequences that Geralt wouldn't invite without cause. Despite the (relatively) large amount of sex and nudity in these games, it's always between adults who know exactly what they're doing. Is the Witcher male fantasy fulfillment? I mean, yeah, it is, it's about a guy with a giant who only looks better as he ages, can't get people pregnant, and can't get STDs. It's in a time before email and IM, where his relationships are with other, similarly aged, people who have been doing this sort of thing a long time. Is it fair for any of his lady friends to expect him to "stay faithful" while they have no idea if they will ever see each-other again? The game isn't like "Geralt is EVIL if he cheats on Yennifer" it's more like well, he could stay faithful, but do you blame him if he doesn't abstain from sex for however many years it takes them to meet again? Sex is never treated as a reward (story wise, as least) and it's often with the complete understanding that it may be a one-time thing.

having not finished the game or thoroughly analyzed it, I'm not going to say I endorse the Witcher 3's attitude towards sex, but it's at the very least refreshing.

The Witcher is ultimately about people who have their own lives, and while those live may intersect, all parties involved have prioritized their own goals over the goals of their lovers. While Geralt might drool over women and casually sleep with them, they also drool over him and use him for their own agendas. Again, I'm not endorsing or glorifying the type of dysfunctional relationships that Geralt has, but it's nice to have something like this than romanticized and absolute judgements about right and wrong.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Snak posted:

edit(?): Here's a video of me failing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE2s1spkzjk
here's a video showing how the obviously bottleneck in the room that would allow you to fight them one at a time is a trap and will make you reload: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6vN0TUKafI

You are just kind of recklessly flailing at them and leaving yourself open to getting hit a ton and they just wreck you. Play a lot more defensively and carefully. Let one come at you, block so he staggers, return a couple hits and back off, rinse repeat. Don't attack into their blocks like you're doing, you'll get staggered stunlocked and lose fast.

Dance, block, return two hits, back off. Repeat.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

JetsGuy posted:

no, but here's yet another 5 strength melee card you will never use poor loving infantry

My deck of nothing but poor loving infantry and kaedweni siege engineers will rule the gwent tables.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

JetsGuy posted:

On the other hand, you're definitely right your choice of video game waifu, particularly how one argues about it, says a lot about the poster. :hfive:

My pain is very deep and epic because...
:hf::witch:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Pellisworth posted:

You are just kind of recklessly flailing at them and leaving yourself open to getting hit a ton and they just wreck you. Play a lot more defensively and carefully. Let one come at you, block so he staggers, return a couple hits and back off, rinse repeat. Don't attack into their blocks like you're doing, you'll get staggered stunlocked and lose fast.

Dance, block, return two hits, back off. Repeat.

I mean, yes it looks like that. I've been doing this for two hours now, which mean about half an hour of fighting and 1.5 hours of looking at loading screens. It's pretty hard to get into the flow of it when it's like that. I tried what you are suggesting a lot at the beginning, but since dodging is really unpredictable because of the soft-lock and the invisible barriers, I do almost no damage. Blocking does not seem to work at all. If I hold L2 I take the same damage I do if I do not hold L2. I am currently opperating under the assumption that my only prayer is to build adrenaline, hence the flailing. In non-fist-fights, adrenaline points boost my damage by a huge amount. For example, when I fought the level 24 bandits, my regular attacks did almost no damage, but once I had full adrenaline points, I 3 shotted them.

But in the interest of not being overly defensive, when you say "block so he staggers" do you mean counter, or block? Because 2 hours ago, when i started this fight, I was countering almost exclusively. When I counter, it causes them to stagger backwards, towards their companions. I found that, after the delay from countering, I could safely get at most one fast punch in after a counter before I had to dodge to avoid one of the enemies attacks. Eventually I would be in a situation where I was cornered and just died immediately. Playing very aggresively, trying to interrupt, rather than counter, the attacks, has gotten much better results, having knocked on one enemy, and generally given me greater mobility. unlike countering, fast-attacking causes Geralt to follow the enemy's retreat, which helps me split one off from the group.

it doesn't help at all that I keep getting suck on tables and "cornered" where there aren't corners. When I try to dodge out of the way of an attack, and the dodge doesn't happen because my ankle is caught on a chair, yes I am leaving myself open. Sometimes, thought, I try to dodge and I magically squish through the enemies and squirt out the other side 12 feet away from where I started.

Snak fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 8, 2015

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

OAquinas posted:

Huh, that would have worked as well? Figured the skelligers would have just seen that as a chance to prove their mettle and attacked anyway. Then again, Axii 3...

I forget exactly how it plays out, but if you've already killed the ice giant on undvik you can brag to them about it and you can resolve the thing peacefully + some new skellige bros

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ice Fist posted:

My deck of nothing but poor loving infantry and kaedweni siege engineers will rule the gwent tables.
Redanian Foot Soldiers or bust.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Blocking seems to be very inconsistent in fist fights. At first I thought that it was simply that haymakers couldn't be blocked, but then I blocked one later in the fight. Holding L2 at the beginning of the fight causes the first punch to break straight through and do full damage. Holding L2 later in the fight blocks as it should. I don't know why this is.

edit: I think that there is just a random element in combat that I did not realize. I just had an opponant become staggered from being parried (not countered). I had no idea this was possible. If it is the case that blocking an opponent has a chance to stun them, it becomes usefull al of the sudden. When I happened just now, it was much better than if I had performed a counter, because there was no counter animation for Geralt to recover from. It's just frustrating to be forced to discover all these mechanics in this environment. The Fist of Fury Quests would have been the perfect place to teach these mechanics. I beat those easily, however, by only countering and dodging.

So, in the interest of understanding the mechanics of fist-fights, here are events I am 90% sure I have encountered:
Blocking fails, Geralt takes full damage. This was at the beginning of a fight, so there should be no weird dodge recovery issue here.
Blocking absorbs all damage, opponent is unphased.
Blocking causes opponent to stagger.

If anyone can deny or confirm the fact that these are possible, please let me know. I'm very used to being bad at games, but I find that my frustration almost always derives from a misunderstanding of mechanics.

Snak fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 8, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Snak posted:

Blocking seems to be very inconsistent in fist fights. At first I thought that it was simply that haymakers couldn't be blocked, but then I blocked one later in the fight. Holding L2 at the beginning of the fight causes the first punch to break straight through and do full damage. Holding L2 later in the fight blocks as it should. I don't know why this is.

You don't want to hold your block and hide behind it, wait for an opponent to come swinging with a haymaker and their name will flash, that's the timing for your block. Done correctly you don't take any damage and it staggers the opponent for long enough to get in a couple punches. More than two or so and they'll block you, stagger you, and start smacking back.

I think maybe I'm loving up the terminology and block/parry is just when you're holding up your hands/sword, while countering is when you hit the same button at the correct time during an incoming attack (their name flashes).

Edit: so try this or if it's what you've been doing I dunno.

Dodge back to open space, try and separate one opponent with the others hanging back.
Wait for the attack, hit L2 as their name flashes. You should block all damage and stagger them.
Return maximum two attacks, then dodge backward again to avoid hits as they recover and from their buddies. Repeat.

BLOCK WHEN NAME FLASHES :v:

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 8, 2015

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Ice Fist posted:

Will the game crash if you use the console to build weird rear end decks? Because a Northern deck with 9 Poor loving Infantry, 1 Commander's Horn and the clear weather Foltest would be hilarious.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

Just block punches and then punch them back? idk, that worked for me

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Pellisworth posted:

You don't want to hold your block and hide behind it, wait for an opponent to come swinging with a haymaker and their name will flash, that's the timing for your block. Done correctly you don't take any damage and it staggers the opponent for long enough to get in a couple punches. More than two or so and they'll block you, stagger you, and start smacking back.

I think maybe I'm loving up the terminology and block/parry is just when you're holding up your hands/sword, while countering is when you hit the same button at the correct time during an incoming attack (their name flashes).

I don't know if I am blind, or if names do not flash on the "Blood and Broken Bones" difficulty. As I have said before, the issue with countering in a group fight is that it knocks your target back close to his comrads and then you can get at most one hit in before you have to dodge an attack from one of the others.

Literally the only time I miss counters is when the camera is facing me, or I tried to dodge and hit a table and didn't move.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Subterfrugal posted:

Will the game crash if you use the console to build weird rear end decks? Because a Northern deck with 9 Poor loving Infantry, 1 Commander's Horn and the clear weather Foltest would be hilarious.

Hilarious until your opponent plays Villentretenmerth.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Snak posted:

I don't know if I am blind, or if names do not flash on the "Blood and Broken Bones" difficulty. As I have said before, the issue with countering in a group fight is that it knocks your target back close to his comrads and then you can get at most one hit in before you have to dodge an attack from one of the others.

Literally the only time I miss counters is when the camera is facing me, or I tried to dodge and hit a table and didn't move.

They definitely do I'll check your video again one sec.

Edit: yeah maybe it's just difficult to see in that confined space. If you re-watch your video you'll see the Skelliger nameplates glow red for a beat as they animate their attacks. That's the key you're missing I think, just pay attention to the names and block when they flash.

Start at 30s in this video of yours https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE2s1spkzjk

The big lvl 15 Skelliger swings, you time your block correctly as his name glows red and it does no damage. He staggers a little, you follow up but go way to deep and hard, then you put yourself in the middle of the three and don't land any more blocks.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 8, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Pellisworth posted:

They definitely do I'll check your video again one sec.

Edit: yeah maybe it's just difficult to see in that confined space. If you re-watch your video you'll see the Skelliger nameplates glow red for a beat as they animate their attacks. That's the key you're missing I think, just pay attention to the names and block when they flash.

You're right. i can see it on the video. It's funny, because I was about to come post that I specifically looked while playing and couldn't see it at all.

I think by biggest issue now is with the auto-target. I have a really hard time switching to the target that is right in front of me. I wants to target some guy in the very back and between dodging and blocking I have a hard time changing my target. At first I thought it wouldn't be a big deal, like in Dark Souls, but Witcher is more like Arkham and being targeted to a far away guy causes a lunging or leaping attack.

Thanks everyone, all your advice has been pretty helpful. I did not imagine that when I sat down to play this game today i would still be on this barfight over 2 hours later. It's pretty ridiculous. If there weren't so many invisible walls I would be a lot less bitter about it. Props, I guess, for showing how a brawl in a confined space is an ugly thing. I just wish they had made it so the confined space was visually represented and no magic "oh you can't go there" zones.

edit:

Pellisworth posted:

Start at 30s in this video of yours https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE2s1spkzjk

The big lvl 15 Skelliger swings, you time your block correctly as his name glows red and it does no damage. He staggers a little, you follow up but go way to deep and hard, then you put yourself in the middle of the three and don't land any more blocks.
Yeah, the reason for going deep and hard is that I feel my only prayer in this fight is to take out any one of the three. I feel like if I only had 2 to deal with I could win easily.

You'll notice that right after I dodge out of trouble from going to deep, I end up in the "corner" where I should be able to dodge backward, but I can't because of an invisible wall. Like I said pre-edit, invisible walls are probably the only thing about this fight that sucks besides me.

edit: That's not quite true, I also think it's entirely bullshitty that despite being the same level (or higher), as each of my opponents, they do far more damage than I do.

Snak fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 8, 2015

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
So what on earth was that 2GB patch earlier if not 1.07? Figured it must be it but nope...

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

So what on earth was that 2GB patch earlier if not 1.07? Figured it must be it but nope...

"That's an update of our artpack (artbook, soundtrack, map, manual, wallpapers etc.). You can check them out by going to: Properties (from Library view)->Local files->Browse local files. Files are in main game folder.

Cheers
Łukasz Babiel, CD Projekt RED "

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Okay, last whiny question about combat mechanics in this game: How the gently caress do you select targets? Since it was pointed out to me that enemies names flash red when it's time to counter them, I am no obsessed with making their names display over their heads when they are close to me. I have tried every combination of left and right stick, as well as clicking the right stick, and nothing seems to consistent redirect the soft lock so that I can see their names.

edit: I swear to loving god if I accidentally dodge past the invisible wall and have to restart the fight again I'm going to go get arrested in a real barfight.

Snak fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 8, 2015

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

Snak posted:

Okay, last whiny question about combat mechanics in this game: How the gently caress do you select targets? Since it was pointed out to me that enemies names flash red when it's time to counter them, I am no obsessed with making their names display over their heads when they are close to me. I have tried every combination of left and right stick, as well as clicking the right stick, and nothing seems to consistent redirect the soft lock so that I can see their names.

Dont lock on when there's multiple enemies. I realize that doesnt really make sense, but it just causes more problems. I only use lock on when fighting single enemies, it makes side stepping easier imo but thats about it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Snak posted:

I played on 360 pad and it was clicking the right analog so that seems strange seeing I don't see why it would be different on PS4 seeing is that it has dual sticks too.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
With multiple enemies they can attack at the same time so just redirecting the lock won't save you. Just get used to tapping block whenever you see an attack animation start, the parry window is extremely generous and sometimes the red flashes are misleading anyway.

And always be dodging/rolling so you're not surrounded.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 8, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

poopzilla posted:

Dont lock on when there's multiple enemies. I realize that doesnt really make sense, but it just causes more problems. I only use lock on when fighting single enemies, it makes side stepping easier imo but thats about it.

Accordion Man posted:

I played on 360 pad and it was clicking the right analog so that seems strange seeing I don't see why it would be different on PS4 seeing is that it has dual sticks too.

You're both not wrong. I'm not talking about the "orange highlight" lock on, I'm talking about the soft lock that always exists in combat. During this fight, I frequently cannot see the healthbars of my opponents, and I have to cycle the soft lock to do so. Pointing the camera towards them does nothing.

Also, I just got stuck behind the tables again. As I get better, a larger portion of my failures are due to game mechanics. loving awesome.

edit:

Sindai posted:

With multiple enemies they can attack at the same time so just redirecting the lock won't save you. Just get used to tapping block whenever you see an attack animation start, the parry window is extremely generous.

Always always be dodging/rolling so you're not surrounded.
I appreciate that you are trying to help, but this specific fight is hard because you only have a tiny area full of invisible obstacles to move around in. Again, I do not find this games combat hard in general, and am doing quests recommended at 10 levels higher than I am. This quest is recommended for 1 level below me(14, where I am level 15).

Edit: here is one of my more recent attempts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=begaCl1rCSQ

Snak fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 8, 2015

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Seriously just draw your sword against those pirate assholes.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

JetsGuy posted:

Seriously just draw your sword against those pirate assholes.

I am not able to. If I could, I would 1-shot the two level 1 guys and then kill the level 15 guy easily. But I can't. It's a fist-fight.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Snak posted:

You're both not wrong. I'm not talking about the "orange highlight" lock on, I'm talking about the soft lock that always exists in combat. During this fight, I frequently cannot see the healthbars of my opponents, and I have to cycle the soft lock to do so. Pointing the camera towards them does nothing.

Also, I just got stuck behind the tables again. As I get better, a larger portion of my failures are due to game mechanics. loving awesome.

edit:

I appreciate that you are trying to help, but this specific fight is hard because you only have a tiny area full of invisible obstacles to move around in. Again, I do not find this games combat hard in general, and am doing quests recommended at 10 levels higher than I am. This quest is recommended for 1 level below me(14, where I am level 15).

Edit: here is one of my more recent attempts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=begaCl1rCSQ

What controller are you using because it seems to act differently in a lot of ways. I play on PC with a 360 controller and I can pretty reliably move the soft-lockon target just by moving my camera and it will pick up whoever is most centered, which is also the most reliable way to quick-throw bombs without having to actually aim them

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Poetic Justice posted:

"That's an update of our artpack (artbook, soundtrack, map, manual, wallpapers etc.). You can check them out by going to: Properties (from Library view)->Local files->Browse local files. Files are in main game folder.

Cheers
Łukasz Babiel, CD Projekt RED "

Oh wow, I didn't realize that we had all that stuff included. Usually you have to pay for a special edition to get an artbook just by itself, let alone the soundtrack to boot.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Are they CTDs, or is it just hanging completely? I had the latter and fixed it by changing power management to 'prefer maximum performance' in the Nvidia control panel.

100 posts later, sorry--they're just straight-up CTDs. The game freezes for a few seconds and then just goes straight to desktop. Sometimes the game closes on its own, sometimes I have to kill the task manually.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

420 Gank Mid posted:

What controller are you using because it seems to act differently in a lot of ways. I play on PC with a 360 controller and I can pretty reliably move the soft-lockon target just by moving my camera and it will pick up whoever is most centered, which is also the most reliable way to quick-throw bombs without having to actually aim them

I am playing on ps4 with a ds4. It seems completely random who will be soft targeted. I recently countered an attack and then when I tried to counter-attack lunched towards the guy farthest away from me.

I just got punched through an invisible wall( the same one as always) and had to restart. It's been 3.5 hours of this poo poo now, and I just want to beat something to a pulp.

edit: ps4 crashed again. This is the only game to crash my ps4. It's done it like 5 times now. I'm not really mad, I'm hoping this will mean that the weird freezes will stop. I'm not mad about the crashes in general because some combination of the the Witcher 3 and ps4's save system have always brought me right back to where I left off.

edit: are you loving serious with this poo poo? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xx-g9UoeEU

Snak fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 8, 2015

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

The next patch really is coming any day now and they've announced a long list of bugfixes, so if you keep having trouble with technical stuff you could always try to take a break for a day or two.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Wiseblood posted:

Hilarious until your opponent plays Villentretenmerth.

Nope! More hilarious because ye olde dygital innkeeper gets to tell his grandkids about how he smoked the Witcher.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
If it's any consolation that might actually be the hardest fight in the entire game. 3 enemies that deal more damage to you than you do to them in an enclosed area with no healing, skills, magic, or items? I can't think of anything else like that.

(I just challenged them to the 1v1 outside and won easily.)

Sindai fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 8, 2015

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

Oh wow, I didn't realize that we had all that stuff included. Usually you have to pay for a special edition to get an artbook just by itself, let alone the soundtrack to boot.

CDPR is good people

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Sindai posted:

If it's any consolation that might actually be the hardest fight in the entire game. 3 enemies that deal more damage to you than you do to them in an enclosed area with no healing, skills, magic, or items? I can't think of anything else like that.

(I just challenged them to the 1v1 outside and won easily.)

My question about this is "why are the two sidekicks listed as level 1?" I mean, with swords, i kill things level 10 and below in 1 hit. The difference between level 1 and 15 in this fights seems to be negligible. Even if I didn't do much damage to the level 1s, why do they do more damage to me than I do to them? What is the point of "level" in this context? This is an example of explicitly poor game design.

edit: I thought "hey, I have the day off work, I will play some Witcher. 3 hours later, I am still on the same dumb barfight, and only 1 hour out of three has been playing, since the loading takes so long.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Something about loot in this game doesn't make sense.

I'm level 15, I kill a level 19 monster that's guarding treasure, and I find a level 9 item in the chest. Yes it's a relic, but still sucks compared to what I have.

Really makes me not want to bother with treasure hunts or exploration.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

Snak posted:

My question about this is "why are the two sidekicks listed as level 1?" I mean, with swords, i kill things level 10 and below in 1 hit. The difference between level 1 and 15 in this fights seems to be negligible. Even if I didn't do much damage to the level 1s, why do they do more damage to me than I do to them? What is the point of "level" in this context? This is an example of explicitly poor game design.

edit: I thought "hey, I have the day off work, I will play some Witcher. 3 hours later, I am still on the same dumb barfight, and only 1 hour out of three has been playing, since the loading takes so long.

do something else?

it's not like there is a lack of things to do in this game.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
If you're crafting witcher gear relics will always be worse until around level 35, the useful part is all the gold you make selling them and the occasional alchemy recipe.

Usually exploration chests do give items closer to your level than that though, you might just have gotten unlucky on that one.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

enraged_camel posted:

Something about loot in this game doesn't make sense.

I'm level 15, I kill a level 19 monster that's guarding treasure, and I find a level 9 item in the chest. Yes it's a relic, but still sucks compared to what I have.

Really makes me not want to bother with treasure hunts or exploration.

Unfortunatly you have to, because sometimes level 2 quests give you recipes for like level 16 gear. I'm going back and doing all the quests and questionmarks that I'm overleveled for and I'mve finding stuff that's good sometimes.

I mean, you kind of have to accept that this is a big world, and it's not all "balanced" so that you will get good poo poo for doing good things. Good things exists, and if you want them, you will have to go find them. They may be trivial to get or stupidly hard.

Case in point, I have slain many, many monsters, and killed hundreds of men, and have been stuck on barfight against 3 people since 3 hours ago...

edit:

poopzilla posted:

do something else?

it's not like there is a lack of things to do in this game.

Since level doesn't seem to impact fist fights, I don't see how coming back to this later will make in any easier. I am as familiar and prepared for this fight as I will ever be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Level definitely impacts fist fights - or at least being underleveled does. The brawler quest fights are much harder if the opponent has a red skull, as you would expect.